Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B

what type of wood did you use for this nice moai?

Well as of yesterday I am the proud new owner of Benzart stone pendant #1 !!!! As always, the pictures don't do it justice. Thanks Ben!

B

benella, I'm not sure what type wood he is, It may be something like Catawba I think,
Thanks.
Davez, glad it arrived safe and sound and glad you likee!

Thanks for letting me know it survived the journey

B
Bete posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 3:46 PM

It's looking very nice!

B

Thanks Bete, I finished this guy up today all but the "Benzart" and #. I GForgot what the last wood # was, Hell, I forgot what the last Wood carving was.
I went to Lowe's today and picked up a 20lb bag of Mexican River rock which Looks similar to Paipos stone, but a bit different. I will be able to tell more when I bite into it.
Heres some pic's:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 4:05 PM

Holy crap is that sweet! Ben you are freaking amazing! This guys is one grumpy mofo! Look out, or he will get you! I love the extra figure carving :D

Looks like you got stoned today too!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-10 16:05 ]

B

Hey Mister,

You kept the best (behind the moai) for the end... excellent work. I've learned a lot from your pics, Thanks.

Ben

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 3:02 AM

Very, very nice. It's the little touches like the korus on the ears and the birdman that make it special. Unbelievable finish too - that sucker is smooooth!

B

Thanks Gman, yes he looks a bit Unhappy, but he's an OLD Guy who can't stand up anymore, so won't be much of a threat. Yep, I got Stoned!

Thanks benella, I appreciate your kind words. I Like the little surprises that can be added to these pieces. For the longest time I was unaware that the Moai HAD Stuff carved on their backs. It's kind of neat and unique to add some of that stuff.

Paipo, Thanks. I think he fell down at the top of the hill and rolled down to the bottom and got all polished up along the way. Actually, He has been sanded down with up to 2000 grit and then buffed with Bee's wax. He Feels as silky smoothe as he looks.

B
Bete posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 10:34 AM

Turned out great. What are you thinking about doing with the river rock? Are you going to carve that?

B

Thanks Bete, Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna carve it up, Unless someone else wants some to carve.
finished up the Moai, he is officially # 73 and available.

Wow Ben, another Moai like no other! So much personality and the grain is so gorgeous. Someone is going to be very happy with this one. Just promise me you wont start carving bone hooks because you'll expose me for the hack that I am. :wink:

B

Thanks Finky, and don'y worry about hooks, I'm NOT Getting hooked on those.
I am not interested in carving stuff that everyone else carves, you know me I like to do the wierd things.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 7:38 AM

Fine stuff Benz. I love the mug on these Moai. You never cease to amaze.....

-Gman

T

On 2006-11-12 07:34, Benzart wrote:
... and don't worry about hooks, I'm NOT Getting hooked on those

Groan! Ugh! Very nice unique BenzArt piece again!

B

Thanks Gman, Appreciate that.
TGap, you too, and I'm gonna make another nice one and another,and .
Heres something I haven't seen on the floor for awhile:
\

L
Loki posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 10:46 AM

now thats i sight for sore eyes....brings a tear to my eyes....

looks like mahogany to me....?

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-11-13 10:47 ]

C

Aloha the wood Moai is so great I love his color!! Congrats!

B

Thanks Loki, this is the Same Mahogany I started years ago and even brought down to the tiki jam one day. Really missing you and stumpgrinder. Doing Any carving or creating recently? say hi to Liz and Thanks, I'll get that tear for ya'.
Thanks Clarita, I appreciate your kind words . You Always find nice things to say.

SsweeetT pair O'Moai 'sticks & stones' from da Florida Choppah, BenZ!!! SO DANG! I keep missing out when you put yours carves up for da peepos?!!

:o I'm just too distracted by all the great works other TC artists keep pumping out... :o

SO ENOUGH is Enough!...I've pm'd till my fingers are sore AND this time I'm calling, "DIBS!...ManLaw#13" on the fine 'Pile O'ChipZ'!!
I want, I want, I WANT!

Although to be fair, I will consider sharing with da kane Kingstiedye! :lol:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

ps. What kinda wood is that it anyway??? ME loves an aromatic cedar!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 4:01 PM

Oh, that mahogany lono is looking very, very, very cool.

B

Thanks Jonsey, I'll ship them right out, However if I remember correctly, I was supposed to sign some of these and send them to Bullet so I'll get you the next batch. Thanks for the props.
bete, thanks too, the lono's got Butt, Almost.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 5:38 PM

woohoo! Benzarts got his wood on again :) Love me a lono too

B

Dear Benz,

I have to say (to write) that i'm very happy to see that you're back in da house with woodish super production. Very nice Lono. Can't wait for tomorrow (for new pics).

Mahalo

Ben.

J

Benz has stopped being stoned and has woodie again. I've been anxious to see this tiki progress further.

HappyHappyHappy.
JP

T

Hey Ben! Glad to see you working on the big man again. That's a really nice piece. How long did he sit on the bench?

Hooray! Ben's making Lonos again. Always my favorite thread to watch.

yeah, send those chips this way. since my arthritic hands are keeping me from trying carving, i'll try glueing chips together to make a tiki. but then again, i've heard carvers say you just carve away the pieces that aren't a tiki, so i guess these chips aren't a tiki.

B

Hey Hewey, Thanks, Yes, Benzart's making woodchips again and making the lono lighter every day.
Thanks benella, Sorry for not posting yesterday, didn't touch the toolz. I did today though and will post pix. You guys needn't worry about me not carving wood, I'm not giving it up..Yet!
Thanks Johnny, Yes, I Have to finish this guy up, he's been hanging around way too long!.
Hey TGap, Thanks. As far as how long he has sat on the bench, just put it this way, If he was a Judge, He could have retired from the bench a long time ago!
Thanks to you too Pappy, I always appreciate your props.
Kingsey, you're Correct. To carve a tiki, you just have to remove everything that ISN'T Tiki, so that means the chips aren't tiki. However, it doesn't mean you can't still make one from them though. Thanks
Here is the progress today.

Enjoy.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 3:49 PM

LONO IS COMING TO LIFE!!!!!!

WOW that looks good! nice behind you made on him there...its like BAM its right at you!
great job.

Mrs. Pappy says she likes the butt....

J

Sure he's got a cute butt (and who doesn't appreciate that?), but that headress took my breath away when I scrolled down to the pic. Absolutely amazing detail Benz!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-11-15 16:56 ]

WOW! That head-dress is going to be CRAZY!

Aye yie yie!!

That's arrrrsome!!

T

Extremely cool Ben. I love the lighter outer wood's effect and the way you exploit it. Sure is a nice piece. Here Comes the Judge!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 4:23 AM

Bump for Adam

man, that looks awesome! your lonos are probably my favorite tikis anyone does. combine that with this beautiful piece of wood and you've got my holy grail!

J

On 2006-11-15 14:14, Benzart wrote:
Enjoy.

Always do. KTD is right on with what he said.

JP

TERRRRIFIC BenZ...I'm BOWING...can u tell??
Hey..I can see his backbone..it's in the front.

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-11-16 16:39 ]

B

Thanks everyone,,Bete, TikiDuddy, Pappy and Mrs Pappy,, Jen Tiki, Surfintiki, and The Revrend BambooBenjamin,Tgap,GMAN Too and Kingstiedye, and JohnnyP and IsleConch too even. What can I say, everyone likes cute butt, the Wood is what makes the piece and Lono helps make it too, I just referee and make sure the chips don't have any tiki in'em. You guys All make me feel so proud and happy. I only did a bit on lono today and I roughts out a 2 foot Mahogany Moai.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 16, 2006 6:01 PM

Wow! Right on Benzo! That Moai is gonna be sweet! Damn, you are a monster!

B

And tomorrow I MIGHT start on a 6 Foot lono for Gonga tiki who has been hangin round on the list forever and he kinda likes that baswood log I picked up last week an we think a lono would o it proud. I'm going to try to take lots of progress shots of him.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 4:43 AM

Go for it! Please, Please, Please, take lots of pics of the rough out.

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 7:09 AM

WOW! Can't wait for your next posts, three big BenZart's at once, WOWZA!

B

Hi Benz,

From your post i can see your experience. Indeed, you carve a moai in a day whereas i am carving a big month ago :)

Nice work & very happy for the lono.

Mahalo

Ben

J

On 2006-11-17 04:43, GMAN wrote:
Go for it! Please, Please, Please, take lots of pics of the rough out.

-Gman

What he said.

My biggest curiosity has always been - how you get your rough shapes done so quickly?? Its almost like you know what your doing. Please enlighten us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies