Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

Beautiful-looking moai, Ben. Just great.

B

Thanks Mooney, Nice to see you back around again,
Bete thanks again for your faithfulness.
pappy Thanks too for the comps.
The weekend and today was all Office work and it is just about there. I did sand the Moai down today s the 60 grit surface was collecting pencil lead and dirt from everywhere. I took it up to 220, at least the parts carved out, The hard edges softened up a lot and I evened out his head, now to raise an ear and lower the other one. and do the other arm and and. I keep thinking I can work on him but keep getting side tracked.
Here he is along with some office pix.

Aloha Ben!!!!!
Your room looks Great my friend!!! Oh by the way Very Nice "Get-Tar" and Yes my carving Brothers and Sister Ben can PLAY those Strings incredibly talented on many levels Aloha , Mooney

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 4:36 AM

Happy Happy!! I love the pewter stuff you made Ben....it's about time you took it out of that cigar box and let folks see it.

-G

C

Nice office space Ben...and you made the pewter figures too huh? And you pluck the guitar
strings too!
Also nice collection of TC-member art, the GMan rubbing looks great.

B

Thanks Mooney, I assure you, I only play a few chords to a few songs, Thanks.
GMAN, thanks too, yes the pewter has been locked away for too long.
Conga, Thanks, I don't have much art but almost All of it is from TC and I wouldn't have it any other way....
Heres an update on the Moai today. I wet him down so he would look like he has a finish on him just to see what he would say.

Hey Ben!
Your Moai guy is lookin great and judging by the mock "finish" is gonna look Super Spiffy!!! The office has really shaped up as well! Bravo!

J

You're such a tease Benz! Just a hint of a booty on that one. But still quite fabulous!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 5:21 PM

Office came out nice - how long will it stay that tidy? :)

Moai coming along nice too mate

Whaaaahhh-hahahahahahaaa...!!!! :cry: :D :cry: :D :cry: :D :cry: :D :cry: :D :cry: :D (tears of joy)

He's FANTASTIC Ben!!! Stop whenever you like...

Tama :cry: :D

B

Hey Ken, Thanks for the props and kind words, they mean a lot.

Jen, Yes I Love teasin' you with all that booty. I created that lil peek with you in mind! Thanks.
Hewey, Big thanks for you too, The Office will stay that way for A Long time, at Least a few hours then I'll need momma to come fix it up again,

Tama, Tears of joy are cool, I just hope you like him that much when you really see him.
"He's FANTASTIC Ben!!! Stop whenever you like... "
I Don't think So, I'm Just now getting to the fun part and the man says I can stop,,,Believe that?? All the Hard, dirty, boring part is done and Now comes the fun,this is where your Moai Boy develops his manhood and personality. This is where the Ancients join and have their way with me and make me do their bidding. I could NEVER Stop Now!11 :) :) :) Hehehe.
Stay tuned.

Well when you put it THAT way; keep going... :D :D :D

Tama

F

Careful Benz, that Moai looks like it could open it's eyes and walk off:-)
Great work
Regards
Flynny

B

Wow,
This moai is amazing,

Tama is the happiest man on earth at this moment, I'm sure :lol:

Wow benzart, every time you post pictures of the moai, it just looks cooler and cooler.
keep up the good work!

On 2007-03-07 05:20, benella wrote:
Wow,
This moai is amazing,

Tama is the happiest man on earth at this moment, I'm sure :lol:

*Tama sez: 'oh Yeah!' :D

B

Thanks Everyone I appreciate the Kind words and laughter and tears!
Thanks Tama, I believe I Will :) :)
Flynny, Silly boy, I Purposly didn't give him legs so he would Stay Home. He can't go anywhere, Thanks.
Ben Thanks to you too!
ZPops, Thanks, Hopefully he will be a cool dude when we're done.
Tama, Yeah, Oh Yeah too!

Here is a quick update from today.

Tama sez:

-(nothing coz he's speechless)...

Let it Flow Master Ben; You're a genius!
Tama :D

HK

Geez, Ben. Not to take anything away from the rest of the features, but the nose/upper lip are so realistic it's amazing. The back, too. How the hell do you do that?!?

H

The Moai look at this guy, the Moai like him! :) Actually it only took one quick look to see that this cat is amazing!! Expertly executed-as always.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 5:36 AM

Mmmmm...., Mmmmmmm....., Mmmmoai-breasts!

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 3:45 PM

Kia ora, Aroha!

I have a question posed to whomever may know:

I've noticed that the majority of Hei-Tiki are of the big-head, squat-bodied, hands-on-thighs variety (like Tamapoutini's "Hei-Tiki wearin' a Tiki")usually hung by a hole bored into its head.
But there is also the long-bodied, smaller-head, one-hand-on-thigh-other-hand-on-heart variety too (like Tamapoutini's personal Hei-Tiki of dark pounamu), this one is usually hung from one of its bent arms.

Are there names to differentiate between the various positions of Hei-Tiki?

Cheers, Tipua

J

I've missed your last several updates. Tama is a luck person. Another masterpiece comes to life, You've probably said, but what kind of wood is it?

JP

B
Bete posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 4:36 PM

It's going to be really cool when it's all done, nice detailing you are sketching out on it.

ahhh man, you're puttin' moko on him?? Niiiiiice.

B

Thanks Tama, genius I don't think so, but let it flow I will.

Thanks Haole Kat, It is a bit of Ancient magic of course and some that I Don't know. It's the ancients, they play with me all the Time.. :) :)

Surf-n-turf, I'm Really glad the Moai like this guy, and I Really like your kind words..Thanks.

GMAN. I'm thinkin you're spending too much time alone, we need to get you out.Thanks

Tipua, first WELCOME to Tiki Central, and thanks for stopping by my thread. As far as your Question I'm not aware of the answer but I'm sure your friend Tama should know the answer since he is the Know-it-All on Maori stuff around here. Don't tell him I called him a Know-it-all though, he might find a way to get even with me. :) :) Are you a carver or artist too? Welcome anyway. come on in and stay awhile and don't be afraid to ask more questions. Thanks again.

Well Thanks Johnny, and Why have you missed so many updates? I know, None of my business.. :) :) :) The wood is Mahogany. Did I hear that you are coming to SO Flo soon? Spill it?

Thanks Bete, I think I have settled on a design I like the most. You will see it on tonight's pictures.

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 9:34 PM

Ben...the back on this one is looking real nice. Can't wait to see where this line work goes.

Moai-mokomoko; I love it! Thats going with the flow.

The chin spirals look awesome & the lines moving over the cheeks, etc really define some of those amazing shapes/lines that say "BENZART" Love the base too.

Im going to be a nervous wreck while this beauty is in transit...

Tama :D :D :D

B

Can't wait to see the moko, will you carve it with a V-scorp ?
Bravo

B

Thanks Babalu, Where the lines will end up, No one knowz but the Ancients. The Back I'm not sure what's happening there either.

Thanks "Tama the terrified"! :) I am trying to let the lines of the face guide the lines of the moko and so far I like it. Last night about midnight I cut the lines on one side, Committing the design so I wouldn't change it again. It looks more awesome than just penciled in. I'll show you tonight. I figured the best wat to ship him is to just tape the label on his back and send him on his merry way. Nothing would happen to him, Right? Yes, he needed that base. Sweet dreams!

Thanks Ben, but you'll have to wait like everyone else, tho I could post you a Pre sneek shot or 2?! I will be carving the Moko with the Ever-ready HOOK Knife, IS there another tool? V-Scorp or V-Liner? Only if you want a very ragged, jagged edge. The knife is the only way to get those long sweeping lines true and fair. Even the Power carver won't do it this small. When you get intoa 6 footer, then the power recip with a 45 degree v-liner will do the trick. This size has been very aqward, too small for most power chisels and too large for hand tools. All but the final detail like eyes, mouth, moko and stuff like that. What was the question again? That'l teach you!

More updates later with pictures

F

Hi Benz
I may just be putting my medium size foot right in it, but having held and used a Warren Cutlery Hook knife with the interchangeable blades at a wood fair here in the UK, I bought one from the States with 2 sets of blades (great tool) when I recieved it, quite by accident I found that it held my Flexcut blades also. For hair and fur I have 2 Flex Cut veiners 1.5mm and 2mm slightly swept and excellent for really fine detail, just wondered Oh master of the timber whether you considered such a set up for Moko work????
Yours, waiting to be put in my place.
Flynny
AKA Luke Stonescraper, Devon's only apprentive Jadi

B

No reprimand Flynny, Just shows you are thinking about different uses for tools. I too use the Warren handle for holding the flexcut chisels, but it makes no difference if it is a veiner or a v-liner, you just can't get a straight consistent cut groove with anything but the hook knife. You Can use them for sure but the end result will never be the same. The only tool that comes close is the wood burner and that only gives you a burnt line, no v-groove thats nice and clean. Try it and you'll see.
Thanks.

F

Ahh Benz
I am currently thrashing myself with a large bunch of Thistles as a penance for assuming that you might not have thought of it.
Yours Ashamedly
Flynny

Ben, As always, you are the moai master!

Amy

On 2007-03-09 08:04, Benzart wrote:
I am trying to let the lines of the face guide the lines of the moko and so far I like it. Last night about midnight I cut the lines on one side, Committing the design so I wouldn't change it again. It looks more awesome than just penciled in. I'll show you tonight.

:D :D :D
Thats exactly what I was meaning; your Moko-lines do indeed follow the angles of the face. Cant wait to see the next update!!
:D :D :D

Tama :)

B

Flynny,No, Don't feel that way, it's not like you have been around here to know my that well and even so, it is No big deal. I would rather you ask a question than not, it's the best way to learn and besides, I haven't thought of Everything, Yet! Thanks..

Amy, Thanks, I appreciate your kind words.

Tama, Thanks, No Comment on the shipping method? :))

For GMAN!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 4:00 PM

:D :D

Oh yeah!

WoW!

Dude that is soooo Cool!!!

On 2007-03-09 15:26, Benzart wrote:
Tama, Thanks, No Comment on the shipping method? :))

Well actually I was going to ask; if its not too much trouble could you possibly pack him inside an old fridge, perhaps stuffed with goose feathers or similar? Either that or else I can borrow my cousins Waka & paddle over to collect personally..? :lol:

Mr Maori-Moais' Moko is Marvelous!! I have begun to deliberate on where to put him and have come to the conclusion that I may need several more; one for each room of the house... Would that be a problem?

Tama :D :D :D

B

GMAN, I Thought you might Likee, Thanks

Freddie, THANKS!

Spermy, Thanks to you also :)

Tama, I Actually Love the Waka method the best, and I'll halp you paddle back. The Fridge full of feathers sounds messy.
One in every room? How many rooms? No Problem!
I'm glad you like his adornment, I wasn't sure if I should. I Blame the Ancients for making me do it! Thanks :) :) :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 9:13 PM

Benzo,

Oh I really likeee. Tama has to love this one. If he doesn't, the Moko Moai can come here and watch over me and the Doc along with #13. I love the twist and the layout. The lines really flow with his features. His shoulder blades are great. A wonderfully classic BenZart Moai. These last few have been some of your best work. Thanks for letting all of us enjoy your journey.

-Gman

F

Benz
Beautiful Moko work, he's looking sweeter than ever.
Regards
Flynny

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 2:25 AM

Thankyou very much for you welcome Benz!
I actually was posing my question about the differences of hei tiki mainly to Tamapoutini, although I'd be happy with any one who may be knowledgable in this area to bless me with their wisdom. I have to admit that I posted that same question on Tama's big grrrl thread too. Yes, Tama is quite knowledgable. And talented. He must have some weakness... Surely...

I am not a carver per se. I mean not in greenstone (although I have tried to improve souvenir hei tiki I've picked up in New Zealand... to mixed results), or in wood... yet.
I have used that aerated-concrete stuff... Hebel or something. I liked working with that, probably because it's easy to carve and you only need cheap tools to work it (mainly wood chisels). I would be interested in working with wood, but I'm not sure what wood is best (or easiest) to carve. Any tips?

I love your Moai by the way! Even though not traditional, Ta Moko make it look extra special.
Sticking with the Easter Island theme, have you tried carving Moai Kavakava? There's just something about their style. I've even tried to get their look (shaved head, goatee - no stretched earlobes though)!

That chin is awesome! #10 is jealous.

C

Hi Benz! Very cool pictures of your office, you, and your work place? I just hope the using the masc (and hat) isn't just for the picture...
The moai is looking amazing I didn't see the moko coming, Is a more than perfect add! Can't wait to see it finished, Greetings!

benz man that is....well i cant think of words right now but its gooood!
great GREAT work

J

Very stately!

JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies