Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B
Bete posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 4:32 PM

So cool, the octopus turned out great. What's he holding between his thumbs?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 4:34 PM

his pee pee.....

On 2006-12-13 16:34, GMAN wrote:
his pee pee.....

Lol..... to funny Gman.. :)

Beautiful Ben... Detail is amazing

Amy

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 4:46 PM

I kid you not....it's a pee pee!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! BenZ .. He's holding the "hook knife" isn't he???

Wow, Ben, wow! And he isn't even finished yet!

By the way, I talked to Gman, and he said it would be OK if you just sent that to me, after his check clears of course. :wink:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 5:22 PM

Just keeps getting better :) Awesome

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 6:08 PM

Benz,

The hands are looking great. They are really looking like the images we were viewing. Additionally, the birdmen look like they are having a great time back there. I am stoked!

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-14 19:03 ]

KK

Aloha uncle!
Howzit Ben!!! Im back and Im so happy to see your work again! I love da buggah with the he'e necklace!!!!

Look forward to a PM Ben, I still want to get one of my makau around your neck!!! And, I need BENZART!!! Da kine doctor told me it would help me heal to have one of your carvings finally!!!!

Talk soon! And mahalo for your Kokua and aloha Ben!

Malama Pono!

B

Thanks Conga, I Guess I ahve been sorta out of it with this flu bug or sumthin, I have gone behind a whole page. I have certainly put enough time into him for him to be perfect and he's not yet. Everywhere I look I find more things that need to be tweaked, behind an ear here, the right nostril there and the penis down there and the basketball thing the birdmen are playing with back there and the list keeps going round and round. Hopefuly I can work tomorrow on him a bit, dunno, I'm kind of like a wet dish cloth now. You will do well not to mess with that Florida pig Sticker down here,, good thinking. You just have to visit him when he's out stickin pigs with his pocket knife, that way he'll be too far away to get you and as long as he doesn't know where to find you, you are safe, Right? Oh he Knows where you live too? Let me carve you one of these guyz. Thanks Conga.

Bete, glad you still like the octopus it's one of my favorite pieces. Between his thumbs is his penis. I found a pic in google where anb artist did a stud=y of the hands ansd the object between them. Thanx Bete

Thanks GMAN and for the prize YOY get to purchase this fine young carving

Queenie, Thanks, see above. I appreciate your comps.

IsleConch he's holding more like the Hook of life search google for MOAI and look around page 10 for a study on the hands.Actually if he held the hook knife, that would be cool Thanks

Finky. Well as long as you talked to him and he said that we can do that, but, does he know where you live??? Thanks finky, feel BETTER

Hewey, Thanks, glad you likee

GMAN, Yes, I'm glad we wemt to that site and answered that question of what the hands are holding. I have a feeling the TC'rs don't belive it is a plain old penis.
The B-men are having a game of one on one back there while no one is watching, caught in action for all to forever see.!

Now Kaha Ki'i, BIG Welcome back. I was SO Stoked to see all your post answers all over the place. It's so great to have you back. Yeah, we'll get something goin for sure. Happy Happy Happy

T

On 2006-12-14 21:51, Benzart wrote:
...I'm glad we wemt to that site and answered that question of what the hands are holding. I have a feeling the TC'rs don't belive it is a plain old penis.

It was obvious to me! What else could it be?

T

I knew that Ben's carving had a penis, cause he mentioned it a page or two ago, but if you are saying that all Moai (stone) are this way, I would have thought that. I always believed that they were loincloth. I still haven't looked at that site, but thats my next stop.

B

Thanks TGap, Well he could , and Should be holding a Hook Knife of course, Thanks,HAHAHA
Thanks too TeaKEy, check it out, you'll see.

On 2006-12-13 16:46, GMAN wrote:
I kid you not....it's a pee pee!

G, I don't doubt it is that or it could be.... It was the way you said "pee pee" that made me laugh..... sorry :)

Amy

B

Queenie you're right, it Did sound funny!

On 2006-12-15 15:53, Benzart wrote:
Queenie you're right, it Did sound funny!

:D

A

B

I did a couple hours work on this Moai today and don't have much more to go, carving wise. Except for sanding, I finished up the hands and Most of the back.

B
Bete posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 3:23 PM

Looking GREAT!

C

He appears to have a firm grip on the situation.I give it a 2 thumbs up!

T

That guy's coming along nicely Ben! He sure likes that pecker, doesn't he!

What are you using for the bird man's eyes? (was that question asked elsewhere? - Sorry if so).

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 6:41 PM

Benzo,

Killer chops man! Getting closer....but still a long way to go! This is a blue ribbon piece for sure. Another two or three weeks and you can start sanding! I hope you are feeling better today.

-Gman

M

"Another two or three weeks and you can start sanding!"

Buhawhahahahhaaaaaa!!!

Mc

B

Bete, Thanks.
capotiki, Thanks too, Yes he's definitely giving the two thumbs Up sign.
Tgap, Thanks, and I think you're right , He Does like that thing, After so many years sitting there thinking about it, ZI would say he is rather fond of the fellow by now. The birdmen have large wood beads for eyeballs and they are playing a bit of one on one basketball though I forgot the hoop. It must be on the side of the wall we don't see.
GMAN, the pig sticker. I Felt better today for 2 hours and maybe 3 hours tomorrow.
Two to three weeks of sanding, right, More like 2 to3 months of sanding, IF I did it by hand and we ALL Know how I HATe Hand sanding.I will have him sanded tomorrow IF I can get a few hours in on him. Thanks GMAN
MCTiki, 2 or 3 weeks, riiightttt. You heard me as in 3 hourz...
He'll be Outta here before New Years, though he won't be There By Christmas his Spirit will be under the tree at GMANS House.
Thanks Guyz
Benz

T

I wonder what the Easter Islanders would think of something like this if you took it over there.

I don't think I ever found the 10th page on Google with the hands. But if you Google Moai and go to images, check out that first image. I think that is what you were talking about. :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 4:55 AM

google images for Moai and then go to page ten.....

B

teaKEY, I don't think they would appreciate it too much, but thats OK, I do!
Here are a couple I found in google/Moai"
Here
HERE
http://home9.highway.ne.jp/sigma/moai.gif

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-12-19 19:37 ]

T

ok, did see those and saw them over a year ago, but with no written info, at least nothing I can read, I still wouldn't have gave the pics their second look. I too was looking for hands. Did you see the head drawings, I love those. I got a big file with Moai pics.

I saw the Moai when I was a kid and again over five years ago, and I never knew they were anything more than big heads.

But back to BenZart, I say cover of the next TikiMagazine.

Hi Benz,
Just caught up with all of your stuff. Awesome as usual! Can't imagine a better looking or detailed Moai, my favorite style Tiki. Makes me want to go out into 30 degree weather with a chainsaw and start carving on the big Palm log that's been sitting in my back yard (begging me to) for the last few months.... Got into the Moai search and found this after 100's of looks. Restored statues at Anakena in a larger look with some hand detail, although it's not clear if they're holding their members....

B

Thanks teaKEY and Freddimon too.
I did not work at all yesterday but did a lot today, first day I felt half good.
Here is Mr Moai with the First coat of sealet shellac brushed on. One more coat of shellac and then comes the varnish. Oh yes, I am adding a base for stability too.

Maestro Moai-Maker! Just keeps getting better'er & better'er...

Im amazed at how 'authentic' this looks despite being such an original piece Ben. Only a true Master could play around with proportions & details like this & still succeed in making such a 'genuine' looking piece.

Brilliantly baffling! Tama :)

P

On 2006-12-20 11:24, Benzart wrote:

"Yeah, so I'm playing with my %$#! - what are you gonna do about it?"
I could defnitely not sleep in the same room as this guy! What a great way to finish up the year... (unless you've got a couple more coming?)

B

Thanx Tama, Yes, I got lucky with this guy and he's finishing up well. I am Very happy with him, He's the piece that just happens once in a long while. I think the Ancients must have had a hand or two in this because it is really beyond me.Thanks..

Thanks to you too Paipo, and you're right in that I don't think anyone's gonna do Anything about what ever he is doing. The Funny thing that is Strange is can you see this whole, Miles long line of these guys sf\tanding there facing the sea, and All relieving/exposing/playing with/??? themselves at the same time. Hopefully I will have a pendant or two done, I have an order for a Jade I need to do soon and lots more if I am feeling up to it.

It was nice to be able to actually work today.
:) :) :)

B
Bete posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 3:58 PM

It looks great Ben!

T

Nice! He made it to his alter, he is complete now. The poly looks great. So you are going to add a stain to him after that? I didn't know you could put a stain on a poly. And if that is the case, that is it darken it?

I was looking at your pictures pg. 43 and 46 (the best ones for views) to get the wood grains down, for mine. If anyone doesn't know, I did one with Ben's blessing as a one off mug, HERE But after your post now, the poly brought all the grain back out. After you sanded it, it looked like some went away, and now it showed up better.

Some of those picture can be throw you off. The picture above with the shot from the back, the head looks way thicker at the top. I noticed to that you added another set of cuts to the ear, making three groups. The final set are at the bottom.

wonderful creation Ben! I don't think you could have found another spot to put more detail.
A fine example of going "well beyond" the quitting point...to give us something really special.

T

Hey Paipo - Benz got more coming for sure. They're hiding all over the place in plain sight in his garage. That place is magical. I've seen it!

This carve is just too damn much though. I'm gonna mail my tools down there to Florida and let ben just deal with it. I thought I had a chance, albeit a slim one, but not anymore. What a load off my shoulders!

This guy is just too far over the top. I think it'd be really cool to have my mother in law over with that guy in the living room staring at her.

Enough already!.

No, keep it up, keep 'em coming. It's never enough Benzart!

T

P.S. The mug is still damp and has the skin quality to it, and it looks so real. Looks like its human and its thinking and watching you. No mug has a feeling like that. I bet you feel the same way. Its going to be creepy to walk down a dark hall at night and have those white eyes peering through.

"Everyone looks at art, but only the art that has eyes look back" -teaKEY

B

Thanks Bete, Appreciate your input as usual, my #1 fan :)
TeaKEY, Thanks too. You are really seeing a lot of the finer detail. Your mug is Really Excellent and would have Ben a bit better had you waited until I was done, but I Know how that just Dosent happen when you get the fire, you Gotta go with it NOW. Still your mug is awfully close to the real thing.
I do not plan to stain it since this Mahogany has so much beauty on its own. I just have Shellac on it now as a sealer. When the poly/varnish goes on, the wood will begin to darken and with age it will darken even more until it is a deep reddish brown. Thanks for noticing all the little stuff
Conga, Thanks for the kind words, I'm Sure I could find somewhere to put a basket ball hoop, since they are playin a game of one on one there in the back lot. I could have found lots'a room for all kinds of stuff but thought "Enough is Enough" and finally called it DONE! Thanks Conga, I Know you understand.
Tomorrow he gets one more shellac and then urethane. GMAN can maybe have him next week by wed or Thursday.
Thanks
Thanks
Thanks Everybody really pushed on this one an helped make him what he is today thursda

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-12-21 06:24 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 6:13 PM

Looks great man :) but I am freaked out by that thing staring at me AND playing with his thing... actually its just like being on public transport :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 8:49 PM

Yo Benzo! Yeah man, send him over....I'm ready for him. He doesn't scare me, I'll show him who's boss! He can stare at me all he wants...matter of fact, maybe we'll have a staring contest. I bet I can beat him. Hopefully my warriors won't mess him up when I'm not looking! Hopefully there won't be an uprising.....

B

Thanks Hewey, I'm sure it IS kind of Kinky/Freaky and he is the one to watch when your back is turned.

GMAN, Glad you likee, I'm sure he'll know who is de boss. Careful what he may teach your other guyz.Thanks
I sent you an email.

B

fabulous work Dr Benzart.

What is the clear coat poly you put on your moai ? Is it mat or brilliant ? Could you show pix ?

Thanks

Ben

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 6:22 AM

Benzo,
Fantastic job on this guy. I know you poured your soul into him and it shows. Gman is one lucky hombre.

Take care of yourself.

B

TGap, Don't bother sending your tools down, I'd just have to send them right back to you because you would get the bug again. Of course the Magic in my garage might do some carving for you, you never know. Thanks Gap
Bene, thanks. I'm using the Minwax spray Spar Varnish/Urethane Semii gloss.
Loki,Thanks, Nice to hear from you. We still have a Tiki Jam coming up?

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 10:57 AM

you can count on it.

M

Man oh Man... Ben, he's fantastic! Simply outstanding.

Ok,

what purpose does a layer of shellac serve under poly? Do you steel wool it prior to the clear coats? I just don't get a glossy finish on my stuff ( I know I know..."sand more!")unless it's a hardwood.

Mahalo

Gman = Lucky Bastard

McTiki

B

Thanks Loki
Thanks to you too McTiki, The shellack is a sealer that sands easily and dries very quickly. You can put on a few coats in a few hours and it sands very easily it is cheaper to let those first penetrating coats to be shellac rather than the expensive Poly. I sand inbetween coats with 220 or 350 if I have it.
You even have to sand hardwoods. I want a finish you can rub your hand on everywhere and not feel anything but Smoothe and a finish that won't put a run in a lady's stockings. to do that you need to sand inbetween coats. Actually with the Minwax Helmsmans Spar Spray, you can re-coat every 1 1/2 hours without sanding. After the 3rd coat, Then you let it dry 24 hours and sand before re-coating. This will have a Silky smooth finish.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies