Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B

Hey Kapu, Big Thanks, I Appreciate the props,
As far as a Coon-Tiki-@, I'd Love to do one and I would Love to get down to a More minute size much smaller. It will take more tools though because I use the flexshaft a Lot and smaller chisels as well as the hook knife. Have you cut any fingers practicing with the hook knife??? Thanks again

Heath, yeah the Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki sounds like a real rush, can't wait. Thanks.

GMAN, Yeah I am familiar with thise little engines, the .020, the .049 and the recing fuel and the glow plugs and getting fingers chopped on by the props. Used to make those planes from scratch @ 9 yrs old.
The distributer here was giging them out to those who wanted. Hold out yer hand and get a minisaw, that eazy.Thanx

HiPhi, Big thanks for the props too

Bete thanks to you too for all the kind words and comps.
AlohaStation, Actually I am Looking for some LArge Extra Long grain super rice to make my next carvings. I figure The more I carve the more I get to eat so I will get a Whole lot done..
Tiki5-0, thanks, yes they are pretty cross looking and I wouldn't want to be the one who put them Over the Edge Thanks,
Bay Park Buzzes into town.,Lookit here that is a Dynamite sticker ofthe #20 Mister Vicious His Own Self. That is just plain Perfect. Iz he for sale?? No wonder you have been so Quiet for so long... Gimme,gimme,gimmeCoool.

GMAN, He already has Ideas and is on a mission,, read back a few lines!Thanks

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 3:58 PM

Hey Benzo,

Is Ernesto gonna knock your fence down for you? These storms love your fences :D

-Gman

B

Hey Gman, I don't think Ernesto has very much of a punch. Lets hope he stays that way.. I'm ready, just in case, I have shutters up and everything tied down. Thanks.
Here are a couple "Lessons for the Left Coast Tiki 'Oki 'Oki.
These will be a mix of advanced and beginner since we have a few peeps with no carving experience. I figured I would try to make it interesting for everyone.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 4:22 PM

Nice stuff Ben. I hope you have a great time over there (don't eat any tofu). I think it's time for you to start making DVD carving lessons. Make a 4 or 5 disk set and sell them for a decent profit. You can make them at home at little cost. You just need a tripod and a dgital video camera. Think about it. Lono 101. I'm sure someone on here would loan you a camera if you don't have one.....

-Gman

J

I think we should keep him on this side of the Mississippi!

B

Not to change the subject but Tiki Bird can only take One tap handle so this means the Tangy tap will be available. If you are on my list and desire it you can PM me here

H
Heath posted on Wed, Aug 30, 2006 7:04 AM

On 2006-08-29 16:15, Benzart wrote:
Hey Gman, I don't think Ernesto has very much of a punch. Lets hope he stays that way.. I'm ready, just in case, I have shutters up and everything tied down. Thanks.
Here are a couple "Lessons for the Left Coast Tiki 'Oki 'Oki.
These will be a mix of advanced and beginner since we have a few peeps with no carving experience. I figured I would try to make it interesting for everyone.

Those look like a heckuva lot of fun to carve!

Hope you weathered Ernesto okay.

[ Edited by: Heath 2006-08-30 07:05 ]

B

Thanks Heath, Earnesto turned out to be a Minor small bag of wind and rain, at least for the Treasure coast,, So Far anyway.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Aug 31, 2006 10:15 AM

Be safe with the weather! Cool new carvings!

B

I made a base for the tall Tang, since he will no longer be a tap handle!

B
Bete posted on Thu, Aug 31, 2006 5:32 PM

That really looks cool with that base.

Kia ora Benz. Have just finished flipping through this thread -only looking for pics at this stage, (Im like a kid in a sweetshop & am jumping all over the place...) will stay updated & take the time to fully digest at a later stage.
So, having not read all correspondance I apologise if Im just repeating what everyone has said!

*Some of your moko'ed-up heads are surreal!unreal!hyper-real! Very realistic in fact! I did a double-take as the first one downloaded, spooky! Straight from a museum case!

Really impressed by the fully 3-D poles, 'Lono' is it? Forgive my ignorance (we live with all the blood rushing to our heads, ALL of the time down here you know?) Most common jade work (pendants) is pretty much 'flatwork' in terms of carving, not really 3 dimensional. Makes practical sense, as you have to wear it around your neck, but doesnt teach much about understanding 3D/sculpture... So, hats off from one carver to another! I can see you really have your head around FORM, Im jealous... Tamapoutini

B

Bete, Thanks, the base was made from mahogany to match the rest of the carving. And, you know me, no plain jane round or square, I gotta mess it up a bit.

Tamapoutini, thanks for the Kindest of words, they mean a Lot coming from you. I was actually afraid for you to see my attempt at Maori work. Thanks..

B

I have not been able to carve here recently, just having a bad time, but I felt some better today and might be able to do something tomorrow......

C

take it easy Ben and rest up...you have been on a real buzz lately....we love your work but
be sure to take care of yourself. I am showing signs of too much biking and tennis...very
sore knees and ankles...but fortunately...I don't use them to carve. I know a good chiropractor
if you need some work on your back and neck....and you could visit the Congatiki Room too.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 6:56 PM

Ben, get well soon. Tiki can wait. Health is far more important. Take care of yourself.

McTiki

i'm happy, happy, happy you're fellin' better today, ben.

H

Ben please take care of yourself first and then everyone else.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 6:08 AM

Hope you're feeling better right quick! Take care.

Have a good rest Benz, you've earned it, get well soon!

ST

T

Hey Ben! Take -er easy. I hope you are feelin better soon! Hukilau is a comin' soon! Rest up for that if nothing else!

TG

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 2:25 PM

Yeah, take it easy man. There will always be more tikis, but there is only one Benzart!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 6:43 PM

Ben,

I hope things get better fast. If you need something, just ask.

We need ya healthy and strong Benz! restrestrest + chopchopchop = happy!happy!happy!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

I

Sorry to hear you've been feelin' bad..take care, we all need your everlasting experience and advice...

Hey Benz,take care, a little r&r is just what the doc order.

B

Well, Thanks guys, with all that how can I help but not feel better.

Better than Microsoft stock. Your prolificity amazes me, Ben. Nice, quality work as usual.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 4:10 AM

Take it easy and rest up.

But I expect pics as soon as your back into it man! :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 4:45 AM

Actually, it's the best quality work. I hope you get to feeling good enought to get back into the shop and start ripping into some new stuff. Maybe hold back on the heavy chainsaw work, but show us some of of your killer small stuff. I hope you push through this soon Ben, and can get back to delighting us with posts and pics. We miss you.

-Gman

B

Here are the lessons I have so far All 4

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 7:47 PM

Benz,

Those look like advanced (tiki 102) lessons? How big are those. They look beautiful. Great job...and welcome back. How did you feel while working? Any better?

-Gman

B

Baypark, that is a Cool Lono, Love it.
Gman, these are 6" tall, a bit bigger than the last ones. Some will be fairly advanced too as I felt last time some of the advanced carvers were not Challenged enough. We have around 5 beginner carvers who will get the easy pieces and several advanced carvers who will have to work Harder to finish theirs. Then some medium experience who will find going a bit easier. Hopefully it will all work out right.
Still not feeling great but workable as long as I take it easy.
Here is from yesterday.

The outside ones are the latest 2 pieces.

P

put me down for very beginner. in fact, if i can cut the corners off a piece of basswood, i'll be happy. maybe i'll just work with sandpaper this time.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 4:15 PM

very cool pieces.

Ben, amazing stuff, your small detailed pieces are incredible... thank you for continuing to share these with us.

Amy

Aloha Ben!

I can't wait to get my hands on another one of these projects; the Coon-Tiki project was so much fun & I learned a TON! I'd say a Medium-skill level would be good for me, since I haven't been able to replicate my success in this style of carving ever since.

Mahaloz Ben! -cain't wait 'till October!

P.S. PLEASE bring your Hillbilly Hat!!!! ;}

P

yes, please wear you hillbilly hat. i wish to mock you. you exist on a level i hope to one day achieve, but will probably never get there. that one thing is the only piece that i can connect with. i'm not a hillbilly, but seeing you wear that makes you seem more human. plus, you look funny. (funny like i wish i had one, hell, i'm going to order one right now so we can match.)

i wish to just learn and have fun. i'm still such a beginner and i need a LOT of help right now.

lee doesn't know what he's getting into.

B

I Promise you guys we Will have FUN. Howevwe...
You want me to wear a hat that makes me look like a hillbilly, makes me look dumb and Silly so you guys can mock me and make fun of me and make me make an ass out of myself?? Is THAT wha ou Want Me to DO???
OK, I'll bring it and even wear it, and I will let you shoot pictures of me in it, but y'all gotta wear it too!
On another note, here is a piece I did awhile back, it's not tiki but it is carving,

Enjoy

Benz..you leave me mezmerised, everything you do is magic Sir. I can only dream of being instructed by you.

P

i promise not to mock you.

i have a couple extra hook knives if anyone doesn't manage to get one.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 10:08 PM

Are they called "lesson" pieces because as you carve them they weigh lesson less?

Nice bear.Self-portrait gentle Ben?

[ Edited by: grog 2006-09-14 22:10 ]

M

Awesome pieces, but, who would expect anything less.

Awesome Ben. This will be a cool class.

McTiki

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Sep 15, 2006 9:39 AM

Ben, The bear is amazing! You've captured every detail beautifully, and the fur is incredible. It looks like a happy bear with a belly full of salmon! What other cool non tiki pieces have you made? I'd love to see those too!

Zaya

Seeing all those bear carvings at Coontiki-land must have gotten into your soul...so...
what is the bear carved out of?

B

Thanks everyone, He used to have claws but they were broken off and lost. Conga, what do you think??
Thanks.

You're pretty tricky Ben...I think you are trying to fool us? Looks a little
rubbery!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies