Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Benzart 's, Last, most recent thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,495 replies

B
Bete posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 3:51 PM

Looks way cool!

B

GMAN, Thanks, He WOULD Look cool sitting next to his Big Brother over there in GMAN Town, however I think Mr Tama would have something to say about it :), I'm glad you are enjoying the journey.

Thanks Flynny, for the kind words.

Tipua, You're welcome and thank you for the comps.
If Tama has a weakness, we will eventually find it I'm sure but so far the scouting is Hopeless. The easiest wood to start with is Bass wood, or in Europe it's called Linden. Very soft and exact to carve.
Thanks about my Moai,I had a Really hard time deciding weather or not to do the Moko and I'm glad I did. I appreciate your and everyoneelses support with this guy
I have Not tried the Moai kavakava yet, but I'm sure there's one in the future. The Big Moai look SO Easy to carve and Are NOT and the kavaKava looks so Complicated and probably IS so a bit of Fear there maybe? I Will do one one day though..:) :wink:

Raffer, Thanks Much.I'd be willing to bet all the benzarts are jealous about now, seeing this guy get so much attention. What Number am I up to now anyway??

Clara, Big thanks to you too! Glad you like the Office, it will be the Tiki Room of the house. The mask is just for the picture,,NOT, I'm afraid I am Married to that thing if I want to keep carving, No Choice.
I don't think You were the only one not expecting the Moko on the Moai. The Ancients saw a Perfect opportunity to stir things up a bit. They're laughing and dancing about it Now and having a ball.

Thanks again Everyone for all the support and kind words.

Benz, your workz are always a pleasure to view...this fella has abit of whimsy and a fun personality about him! :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

B

Thanks Also to Tiki Duddy, Words will come!

JP, Thanks toy you too.

Bete, thanks too

Traveling Jones, yes this guy has been accused of being a funny dude, Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 7:30 PM

The mokoo looks great!

ben your carvings make my day

H

That´s to much for my eyes! Now,I will go under my comforter and cry. Hat´s off! :)

B

Yo Marcus, Thanks for the kind words. What U been up to recently, Nay ne carvings happening?

Haikai, Thats why I have to wear sunglasses when I am working on this guy, Glad you like him.

Here is the update for today. Finished the eyes, one hand and part of one ear and also the moko I had drawn in. I am not sure if I should add more lines like I normaly do or if I should keep it simple. Something about this guy says anything Simple just will not do!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 4:20 PM

Benzo,

Looking real good. Beautiful, actually. More or less lines; you can do no wrong. It's all BenZart, and we love it all!

-Gman

Yes we all love our BenZart! And we know that there is no such thing as a simple "simple"
when it comes to your work. Nice work as usual!

J

Simple,

Nothing you do is simple. You just make it look that way.

Can I ask for an action shot? Can you post a series of pictures of you using a hook knife to cut in the moko? I just can't seem to figure out how to do it. All your lines come out perfect.

JP

wha...how..AAAH! MAN benz you do good work. its just so amazing. i know i say that alot but thats what it is. it IS amazing what you can do, what you can create. its like you create art like none else. i love it.
never stop

B

WOW .
Amazing moko.
It's beautiful. Didn't see your message for pre sneek 'cause when you're moving in France, it is very difficult to keep your internet connexion with the same phone number. I think my modem will arrive tomorrow :)

Superbe moko-moai.
Bravo.

B

Thanks GMAN, I'm not sure about doing no wrong, just ask Sherry! But as far as this guy goes I don't want to Over kill him but he is demanding More lines, More Lines he says.
Thanks Conga, Much appreciated.

Thanks JP, sure, I'll include some hook blade "In Use" shots. The lines Don't all come out perfect as there is always That difficult line in end grain, or in a Hollow that you can't comfortably reach. It seems the Pencil doesn't care what the knife has to go through to get it's line cut, "Just shuddap and carve it dammit" he says.

Tiki Duddy, thanks for your kind words, aahhh .

Ben, Thanks, it is impossible to keep the same number when you move most of the time here too, I Know what you are going through. Thanks again.

absolutley beautiful, Benz. very cool. okay, i'm ispired-back outside.

T

Can't wait you see how the next steps are going to turn out. I think its important to focus of all parts of the work equally and most don't go that extra step. You working on the back is the difference.

"Hello Ben, thanks for comming over to my house. Just set that Moai on the table there. Yep, right there. Now, step over here for a moment. Yep, way over here. There you go."

"Now grab it, Brendan! Grab it and run! Keep running until Daddy picks you up in the car! Keep running!"

:D Just teasing Ben. He'll be safe, I promise. He's looking FABULOUS!!

ARRRRGHHH!!! Ben - I love you! You've just dragged me out of a 48hr funk; bless you!

This guy is now officially "Da BOMB"!!!! Lines & lines & lines - I am seeing before my eyes the very reason for surface decoration. EXQUISITE! :D :D :D Although I never doubted your vision I am just blown away with how this is coming out. Remember I promised you another package for the extra time and care I know you are putting into him; well, that package just got better! I cant let you get away with this... :lol:

Check PM.

TamaTheThrilled :D

Can't work. Must... look... at... Moai...

Tama :D

B

I will post a few quick pictures and talk more later

Thats all for now, but I'll have more later!!:) :) :)

ST

That thing is flat out sick!! I didn't get a good sense of the size until the pic of you holding it. Did you do something to the eyes in the last photos? Looks like maybe some inlay work.

Fan-freakin-tastic!!!

J

Awesumely perfect. Thanks for the how to on the hook knife.

JP

What you don't see is that Ben uses that hook knife like a paintbrush. Even one-handed (camera remote in one and hook knife in the other)! Its like your grandma that could peel an apple in one piece - lots of practice. Outstanding Moai as always!!

B

Thanks Greentikipat, Back to work for you, glad I could help!

teaKEY, Thanks, sometimes I feel that the back is AS importand as the front because it tells the rest of the story and when we create a carving aren't we telling a story of sorts?

Finky, can't believe you would put Brendan's life in danger like that, doesn't he know not to run in traffic around here? :) Thanks FD, I Know he's safe with you. I will probably be over tomorrow for a bit if thats OK. Thanks.

Tama the Thrilled, Thanks for all the kind words and Inspiration. We Had a deal?? HappyHappyHappy

Surf tiki, Thanks, Yes He's sick and I have a doctor's appointment for him in a couple weeks down in NZ, They'll fix him right up! YEs the eyes, I used the wood burner to add color to the pupils, though I'm afraid I was a bit sloppy but you can't see it much with the stain on it. Thanks for your kind words.

JP, You're Welcome and thanks to you for the comps.. Hope the shots helped, It's hard to get much of what you were looking for with stills, I need a vid cam. One of these daze.

AS,I thought it WAS a kind of Paintbrush, NO? Thanks, YEs I Have had a bit of practice.

Here are a few shots with stain on him.

Finally Finished carving on this piece of wood!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2007 6:50 PM

That is tasty - very tasty!

H

A masterpiece! :)

Deeaaaamn. Can the next Moai w/ Moko come to the U.P of Michigan? Lets not be regionally bias...Us Lake Superior Folk love spectacular art as well. :)

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-03-13 19:28 ]

Kia ora - Io Orana!

Well, what can I say...? Fan-tab-u-lific-icious-ness! Incredi-tastic! Marvel- er, -ation? You see, there just arent words to desribe this pieces' good-ness... phew
Hang on, Ill try again:

The balance & flow of the entire piece is just Masterful; there are no other words. Everything about this guy is 'hooked up'; the ears, the nose - that cheek muscle just blows my mind! :lol: Its alive, I swear I saw it twitch - and that's on a still photo!! I hope this guy doesnt give me the spooks when we're alone in the house...

I just love how you've placed those knarley fingers with some on top of others and all bunched together; they sit very naturally and are very 'organic' looking. (I have a couple of real-but-cheapo/tourist E.Island figures and the fingers are very straight, carefully placed & symmetrical, and woefully souless. These hands are alive too!
Great colour; straight out of the proverbial melting-pot. A bit Maori, a bit E.Island & a bit Native American in there too I reckon! :wink:
And a face that expresses it all; proud, strong, with perhaps a touch of sadness. A poignant pose that speaks for all native cultures in this fast-paced world.

Rest assured this will be much admired & highly cherished and Im sure I will proudly tell the tale of his making/maker for many years to come. A legend is born...

-Now strike me off that list & get on with the next one would ya! Ive monopolised the Benz-love long enough! :lol:

THANK YOU BIG BENz!!

Tama :)

B

Simply beautiful. Another masterpiece in your thread :)
I'm very happy happy happy for Tama :wink:
What is the stain you put on? Walnut?

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today :wink:

B

What a relief to have the carving complete on this guy. I appreciate all the support and comments I have received from this guys creation. you guys know how to inspire and get me going, even on days where I don't think I can do anything at all, THANKS.

Hewey, thanks but I don't think I want a bite of his ear or nose or...

Hiltiki Much appreciated, Thanks.

Freddie, I'm not sure where the next Moko-Moai will be heading but I'll keep you Northern Lakers in mind, Thanks.

Tama, Thanks a Ton or More if possible. you have packed a years worth of inspiration into that statement.
How long do you want the neck cord? I guess I'll have to make it double strength :) :wink: :)
I can Honestly say I have packed every bit of my carving experience and knowledge into this Pakeha. He is full of love, respect and adoration and hours of playfulness added by the Ancients, who demanded that they be a part of this project.

"And a face that expresses it all; proud, strong, with perhaps a touch of sadness. A poignant pose that speaks for all native cultures in this fast-paced world. "

And he looks like he could crack a smile any minute now too. He will be talking to you at night or when it is quiet enough to hear him and he wants to be heard. I guess he has a story to tell and I hope he tells it to you.
I am proud to have you get this piece, the Mother of All Benzart Pieces.
Thanks again.

B

On 2007-03-14 04:18, benella wrote:
Simply beautiful. Another masterpiece in your thread :)
I'm very happy happy happy for Tama :wink:
What is the stain you put on? Walnut?

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today :wink:

B

Ben, Sorry I forgot, it is a Red Mahogany stain on Honduran Red mahogany wood. I left the bottom Un Stained so you can see the difference which is very little.
Thanks.

On 2007-03-13 19:13, hiltiki wrote:
A masterpiece! :)

Ditto.

Tama is one lucky fellow! He seems like a gent who can truly cherish and appreciate such a masterful work! Is it hard to say goodbye to these masterpieces or is your genius mind already on the next project?

B

Thanks Pappy

LLT, Yes it is Very hard to say goodbye to these guys, especially after you work on them for so long. Thats why I'll put on about 67 coats of varnish and Then we will see if that is enough, might need another 20 or so! :) :) :]

F

Absolutely stunning, I don't know how you get so much life into a piece, he looks like he is about to tell the history of Rapa Nui.
Spellbound
Flynny

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 3:46 PM

a modern masterpiece for sure.

i was tempted to go straight to the end of the thread but it was much more rewarding reading thru the last 10 pages to watch the progress of this little beauty (yes i´ve been away a while!!) - i would never have guessed it to turn out like this.

absolutely amazing!!

and good to see you with all the good mask gear on too Ben!

B
Bete posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 4:08 PM

WOW, that one turned out amazing, the color is so awesome on it and the tattooing is too cool.

T
Tipua posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 4:32 PM

Absolutely fantastic, Benz!!! Your Moai has stunned me! It's great to see all the talent on this site and I also celebrate the fact that the art of great carving is still alive and kicking in this lazy, I-want-it-now western society of ours.
Superb!

Although now your next carving will have to top that, you realise! :D

M

My neighbor is carving masterpeices and I am still here (Cali) Sigh!

Beautiful Moai Ben!

Mahalo

McTiki

T

Man! Great stuff Benz.

P

I'm pretty excited I'll be able to see this guy in person! I can see a special powhiri at Tama's is on the cards - possibly involving large quantities of Pisco sours :wink:
There's not much else to say that hasn't already been said. I dig the little nod to the moai kavakava with the stylised ribs, and of course the classic "BenzaNui" face where you take all the hard angles and work them into smoothly flowing curves. Truly inspired!

B

Flynny, Thanks, Just a chip at a time and a Lot of patience with a bit of will to make myself keep Cleaning up all those tight corners where we usually don't go.

Harro, Welcome back, Thanks, I'm glad you decided to go back and see the whole story, was it shocking to see the Moko? Yes the MASK is something we ALL Must do while carving these things.

Bete, Thanks, I appreciate your support.

Tipua, thanks for the kind words and the challenge..perhaps.

McTiki, thanks. There you are STILL in SoCal, soaking up the rays and doing heaven only knows what, WHEN are you coming Home. Also,,IF you can visit SoCal, then I guess you can visit me too?? :)

Heres how he looks with 3 coats so far of Poly.

Spectacular..

B

agree with freddieballsomic: spectacular.

H

WICKED-WICKED-WICKED-WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

This one needs a glass case with a guard posted.

JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1495 replies