Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies

Mr Tiki is with you now, David?
come on, give us a tease where he is heading to.

On 2015-09-27 10:30, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Mr Tiki is with you now, David?
come on, give us a tease where he is heading to.

Yes and 557 Obispo : )

BK

Nice to see this exercise has been revived!

It might also be nice to see a periodic "scoreboard" for each of the Mr. Tikis. For example:

Mr. Tiki I - Lost. Last known to have made 83 visits.
Mr. Tiki II - Currently in Rarotonga. 123 visits to date.
Mr. Tiki III - On HOLD, residing in Moorea. Travelled while Mr. Tiki II was missing and made 23 visits in his first tour.
Mr. Tiki IV - Let's hope nothing happens to Mr. Tiki III!

Who is the record-keeper of the travelling little guy?
Who makes the rules for future Mr. Tiki's? (Size and shape for ease of mailing, etc.?)
Will there eventually be a Mr. Tiki Museum, where will it be located, and will it be featured prominently in Sven's Book Of Tiki 8?

Cheers! It's a Monday...

:lol: :P :wink:

Big Kahuna, Mr Tiki has been slowly plodding along for the past five and a half years

Ace, you ask a lot of questions for a Monday morning :lol:
I am the keeper of all things Mr Tiki. I created the 3 Mr Tikis out of craft store wooden plaques and Buzzy's resin Coco Joe's knock-offs. The first post on page one of this thread had some information including his first trip in 2010, a map of his journeys and a list of his 36 hosts.

There have been a couple of people who received Mr Tiki but never send him back out. I think those people are gone from TC but I won't mention any names. The original Mr Tiki traveled for a bit and then went missing in the Pacific Northwest. I made Mr Tiki II and sent him out, he traveled around before he went missing north of the Mason Dixon line . So I made Mr Tiki III and sent him forth into the world. He was doing well but got lost by the Canadian postal service through no fault of TC members. In the meantime, a second TC member in the Northeast was able to reclaim Mr Tiki II and so he is the current Mr Tiki in circulation. There is only one Mr Tiki circulating at any given time and the host decides who to send him to next. You can usually tell where Mr Tiki is by looking at the few most recent posts. If you are interested in hosting Mr Tiki, drop a PM to the current host and let them know.

As far as a museum or a prominent place in Sven's book... we'll see :D

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2015-10-05 11:37 ]

So it sounds like Mr. Tiki is heading to Florida from the clue.

MadDogMike, thanks for the great reply, the recap of the history of Mr. Tiki is certainly appreciated!

I'm planning some interesting trips in the next couple of years, and I'll keep in mind that I can ask to take the little guy along on the journey. It would be fun to photograph Mr. Tiki sitting IN a beer girl's cleavage at Oktoberfest in Munich, for example. Heck, for that matter, so would I! How's that for more Monday madness?!!

On 2015-10-05 11:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So it sounds like Mr. Tiki is heading to Florida from the clue.

Good quess Lance. Mr.Tiki was 90 miles away on Thursday at La Floridta in Old Havana.He will leave Miami Sat. morning- Pix to follow.
Cheers

Back from CUBA!

Lucy, you got some 'spailin' to do! :lol:

On 2015-10-09 21:08, MadDogMike wrote:
Lucy, you got some 'spailin' to do! :lol:

Mike, You are a true riot!
David

Looking forward to hearing about Mr. Tiki's latest adventures and seeing some pics!

On 2015-10-13 17:17, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Looking forward to hearing about Mr. Tiki's latest adventures and seeing some pics!

Here’s the first of a bunch. Still have to sort em out as to which go where. The pic is at the historic Hotel National in Havana. The ‘welcome" drinks were Cuba Libre’s and Mojito’s natch.
David

Btw, check out the cow hide shield I posted on Tiki Finds. It use to hang in the Polineso-formerly Trader Vic’s Havana.
I am thrilled to have it!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-18 19:48 ]

Old Havana, so envious! Can you share a bit about your travels there, did you speak the language, were you treated well (if you're an American) and was it something you felt pretty comfortable doing?

Yes, Havana is on my near-term bucket list, well before American business re-enters that market.

On 2015-10-14 07:48, AceExplorer wrote:
Old Havana, so envious! Can you share a bit about your travels there, did you speak the language, were you treated well (if you're an American) and was it something you felt pretty comfortable doing?

Yes, Havana is on my near-term bucket list, well before American business re-enters that market.

Ace , Yes, yes,and yes. Very safe and a beautiful country. I expected a large military /police presence. No so anywhere. The average Cubano’s we met are as anxious to learn about Americans as we are to learn about them.We went with a jazz tour group and we are anxious to return as private citizens. Can’t do that yet. Much more info to follow that I will add to my photos once I sort em out. I took over 1200-not all of em usable.
Later,
David Btw, The Trader Vic’s Havana became “Polineso” after Fidel took over.Next trip over I intend to gift Oswaldo (one of the barkeeps) as many spare/duplicate mugs as I can fit into my bags. He currently has a collection of four. he’s a decent fellow and makes some good drinks with very limited ingredients. I highly recommend Polinesio to anyone on this forum. It’s like stepping back into the 50’s.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-14 15:29 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-14 15:48 ]

F

On 2015-10-14 15:27, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2015-10-14 07:48, AceExplorer wrote:

Ace , Yes, yes,and yes. Very safe and a beautiful country. I expected a large military /police presence. No so anywhere. The average Cubano’s we met are as anxious to learn about Americans as we are to learn about them.We went with a jazz tour group and we are anxious to return as private citizens. Can’t do that yet. Much more info to follow that I will add to my photos once I sort em out. I took over 1200-not all of em usable.
Later,
David Btw, The Trader Vic’s Havana became “Polineso” after Fidel took over.Next trip over I intend to gift Oswaldo (one of the barkeeps) as many spare/duplicate mugs as I can fit into my bags. He currently has a collection of four. he’s a decent fellow and makes some good drinks with very limited ingredients. I highly recommend Polinesio to anyone on this forum. It’s like stepping back into the 50’s.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-14 15:29 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-14 15:48 ]

Thanks for the heads up on Polineso...

[ Edited by: Freeland 2015-10-19 09:49 ]

Such a tease!

Surprisingly, since El Floridita is a must see for any foreign visitor to Old Havana, The Daiquiri’s served there were delicious

The statue of Hemingway is next to the bar where supposedly Mr. Hemingway's favorite bar stool was located. Of course I took a pic of Mr Tiki on the great writers lap but sadly the shot was way underexposed and unusable.

Next post will show Mr Tiki at Polenesio/Trader Vics Bar. I intend to post pix of polesio in the “locating Tiki” thread.
Cheers

Very cool visit, David, now bring on more pictures!

Polinesio was a Trader Vic’s before Fidel made it a state run entity. Except for a lack of a large selection of mugs and ingredients for the traders signature drinks, not much has changed here in the past 50 plus years. I will be posting pix of the entrance and interior in locating tiki. I’ll do my best not to post any previously seen shots.
First drink was a Mai Tai. Osvaldo the bartender said “I have to invent how I present each drink” It was a very tasty 1944 M T served in a rum barrel mug.
Osvaldo, a very cool dude

Round two-more MT’s.

More Mt’s for me and Mr Tiki. Osvaldo made CeCe his “Special”. Don’t recall what it was called but he served it in a very heavy vintage Fogcutter and it was quite tasty. Looks like it’s time to take Mr. Tiki back to his room.

Due to the difficulty in obtaining certain ingredients Osvaldo is making orgeat on his stovetop at home-even making his own labels. Attractive packaging imo. That’s an orange in the pic-quite tasty in spite of it’s very green appearance.

This image is on the glass door to the stairs that lead to the hotel above Polineso. Approx, 2’x16"

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-27 20:58 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-20 13:57 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-10-20 13:56 ]

Cool pix David, keep'em coming! I added a Havana pushpin to the map on page one and your name to the Mr Tiki alumni list (you may have to hit the refresh button to see them)

Took Mr. Tiki out for a short cruise this afternoon.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-11-05 22:15 ]

Took Mr Tiki toBellflower to check out the revamped Hawaiian Room. See my post under “Locating Tiki”

That dude gets AROUND!!!

Mr Tiki will be in Bullhead City Tomorrow morn and Maybe Las Vegas Sunday or Monday. Tonight he’s at the big event at La Luz de Jesus and Tiki Ti, all compliments of my brother Joe aka TikiVato

T

I Picked up Mr.Tiki today from my brother David so I can take Mr.Tiki on a weekend road trip with me. We started off with the Tiki Ti. Mr. Tiki was welcomed by Mike Sr.

Once inside Adrain bought Mr. Tiki a drink.

Tomorrow it's Mr. Tiki and I on a road trip to Bullhead. I will and try to take better pictures.

On 2015-11-07 00:14, TikiVato wrote:
I Picked up Mr.Tiki today from my brother David so I can take Mr.Tiki on a weekend road trip with me. We started off with the Tiki Ti. Mr. Tiki was welcomed by Mike Sr.

Once inside Adrain bought Mr. Tiki a drink.

Tomorrow it's Mr. Tiki and I on a road trip to Bullhead. I will and try to take better pictures.

That was a fun night, nice to see you guys at Tiki Ti & the Tikifarm show.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-11-07 12:41 ]

T

Saturday,off to Bullhead.

Mr.Tiki made it to our house and went straight for the bar.

I had to get some work done on the house so we spent the night on the 18th floor of the Aquarius. I later went to the bar and smoked a Cuban Cigar that my brother brought me from his trip to Cuba with Mr. Tiki.

Sunday,we stopped at the Golden Nugget to go to my favorite Restaurant in Laughlin, The SaltGrass.

Went to Gilligan's Island Bar. Not a Tiki Bar but lots of Bamboo and a few Tikis.

Next stop was at the Lake .

Took Mr. Tiki for a ride in a 4X4 to Oatman.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2015-11-08 14:56 ]

T

Monday, Las Vegas, First stop, Frankies

Next was the Golden Tiki

We had a nice chat with Jim, the manager. All their drinks are handcrafted and made from their freshly made juices, syrups and other ingredients. I had their twist on the Mai Tai. It was tasty but I prefer the Original44 Mai Tai. I had their Pain Killer. It was very good. Next time I will order it on the rocks. Theirs is made slushy (frozen). Whenever I get to Vegas I have two mandatory stops, Frankies and the Golden Tiki.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2015-11-10 15:32 ]

Nice truck Vato - orale!

That was your truck? I took a pic of it as well. I included it in my 98 postings on the Tiki AZ group page for folks that couldn't make the 15 Year Exhibition. I'm the dred head brutha that talked to you guys at Tiki Ti and owns Tiki Republic.
Pierre

T

On 2015-11-10 17:14, Tiki Republic wrote:
That was your truck? I took a pic of it as well. I included it in my 98 postings on the Tiki AZ group page for folks that couldn't make the 15 Year Exhibition. I'm the dred head brutha that talked to you guys at Tiki Ti and owns Tiki Republic.
Pierre

Thanks for posting my truck at that site. I remember you from a few years back while I was vending at the Kon Tiki. You were tikifying your backyard and showed me some pictures of it. Good running into you again.

David & Joe -

Great pictures! You guys really know how to show Mr. Tiki a good time. In fact, I'm pretty sure I want to BE Mr. Tiki. His travels make me jealous! I wonder where he's headed to next....

T

Go Mr. Tiki go!

You guys are definitely showing Mr. T a groovy time....

bump

Altough it’s been a blast Mr Tiki has about worn out his welcome. I decided to take him to SoccerTiki and WooHoo’s International Tiki Marketplace to let him rub elbows with some of our local and not so local T C Peeps for maybe his last fling this trip here in Southern California. Anyone interested in hosting Mr Tiki please pm me.
Dat’s Woo Hoo Wahine on da left

SoccerTiki

BigBro

AFrame

Johnny Velour

BayPark Buzzy

Dusty Cajun

HuntingtonBeach Tiki

GoTiki

More to follow.

It's nice to see some faces to go along with the names! Looks like you all had fun.

Here’s sum mo.

TikiBroker

Me and this gent have slammed down a few but I don’t know his screen handle. I asked all for permission to post their pix but I neglected to ask about posting their other name.
There were many others that I did not get a chance to photograph,my apologies.

TikiYaki (rht.)

HotTiki

Scootiki

Mysterioso

Tiki Tony

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2015-12-07 17:25 ]

nui 'umi 'umi this was a blast. I really enjoyed seeing so many friends. Wendy

Mr Tiki is restless. Anyone up to hosting him? Shoot me a PM. Meanwhile he is in Newport Beach sucking up Red Nosed Zebras.
The Rum and Coke did him in.

Mr Tiki wanted to surf the Pacific before he leaves sunny SoCal. So we Brought him to Newport Beach.

Took him here today

CeCe, Rosemary, TikiVato and I took Mr Tiki to The Beachcomber Restaurant and Bar at Crystal Cove for breakfast. First thing we saw was a christmas tree on the beach.

Here he’s at the bar.

Next we went south to San Clemente’s Red Fox Lounge-TikiVato said it was a nice “dive bar”. It was.

Next we headed north to Laguna Beach to check out the Ocean View Bar in the historic Laguna Beach Hotel for some great chow and beverages.
Lft to rht, Painkiller, Bloody Mary, And Old Fashions

We finished up with this spectacular sunset over Catalina Island.

Mr Tiki is ready to move on. Any takers?

We would love to have Mr Tiki II for a visit on the Exotic Tiki Island podcast! Let me know what to do :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies