Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies

MadDogMike I knew you should keep Mr. Tiki on the road.

Another fine adventure with great people. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 14, 2018 9:10 PM

Say, is Mr. Tiki still out on the road, incommunicado?

[ Edited by: Hamo 2018-08-14 21:12 ]

Mr Tiki landed at his new destination today! I'll leave for his new host to reveal the news

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2018 8:35 PM

I’m kinda worried that Mr. Tiki is passed out in some gutter....

I'm been in contact with his host and he's doing well. I think he's waiting for the end of vacation for a mass photo posting :D

T

I am sorry for the delay in my Mr.Tiki update!!

I can say he has had a great time and yes Hamo, he was in one gutter here but we managed to get to him just in time!!
I will be updating with photos over the next few days so you can see what he has been up to. I have already shipped him out so there will probably soon be lots of updates on here.

Mahalo
TabooDan

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2018 10:21 PM

Whew! Looks like Mr. Tiki has finally survived the Canadian postal service....

T

I only had one problem my whole time selling tiki lights, Canada!

Ebay bid but no pay, No respond, No good.

T

Hey Skip, I would love to get one of your lights for our Hideaway one day!
I'll see if I can make up for that other horrible Canadian and we can test the postal service again!!

TabooDan

T

Well thank you, but damn beyond the trouble with that one guy, shipping to or from Canada is a real pain.

I have got things from China quicker.

Do Terrance and Philip run the Canadian post office?

T

I knew Mr.Tiki was coming and I was hoping he would get here in time to come with us on our holiday. We were taking a trip to Salmon Arm and the Okanagan Valley in BC which is about 8 hours or so from us here in Blairmore Alberta. It was down to the wire as we left town we checked the mail and sure enough he had literally just arrived. Perfect he's coming on a road trip!!

On our way out to BC we headed North West to just outside Calgary and set up base tent for the nite. This is where we opened up Mr.Tiki. He was relieved to get out of his package and it was great to see him.

We were staying the nite here so we could go to Calaway Park which is a family amusement park. Mr.Tiki was fine with this as he wanted to hit up some rides and stay out of that box! We still had lots of driving to do that day so we enjoyed the park then got on our way.

Here's a shot of yours truly just outside the park.

We were then on our way towards Salmon Arm. We stopped in at Lake Louise Interpretive Center which is in Banff National Park. It's a beautiful area. Lake Louise has an elevation of 1600m.

Our whole holiday was covered in smoke. The fires that were burning all over BC and Southern Alberta were crazy this year. Only on our very last day of holidays did we see some actual blue sky.

"Lake Louise is a hamlet in Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies, known for its turquoise, glacier-fed lake ringed by high peaks and overlooked by a stately chateau. Hiking trails wind up to the Lake Agnes Tea House for bird's-eye views. There's a canoe dock in summer, and a skating rink on the frozen lake in winter. The Lake Louise Ski Resort features a wildlife interpretive center at the top of a gondola."

Mr.Tiki liked the Centers architecture

There was lots to look at and he tried striking up a conversation with these wolves but only after I told him they weren't real!

He also liked the wildlife inside too as this Mama Mountain Goat and Baby were displayed.

He also just had to sit on this display which was of a mountain guide named Edward Feuz who was one of many Swiss guides that the Canadian Pacific Railway brought to Canada to lead visitors through these famous mountains.

Once outside again we checked out one of the old, vintage chair lifts that was once used here in the mountains.

Here he is with our oldest son. (Some of you might remember him as TabooBaby! But that was quite a few years back now!)

Here he is in a retired more recent chair lift.

Back on the road, our next stop was in Golden, BC. There is a cool 50's retro diner where we always stop with the kids. Kind of a tradition now to stop there and grab some lunch. Mr.Tiki liked all the pictures of music and movie stars on the walls and the cool chrome decor.

Mr.Tiki said he was still recovering a little from being with Dusty down there in Santa Barbara so he didn't mind playing the sober Canadian tourist part for a little bit!

Next stop, Salmon Arm BC.

More to come.........

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2018-09-21 08:28 ]

Great pics Taboo. That interpretive center building is CRAZY!

T

SOMEBODY HELP! I CAN NOT GET PHOTOS TO STOP LOADING SIDEWAYS. NO OPTIONS EVEN IF I ROTATE ON MY END. THANK YOU!
Sorry about how photos are loading!!!

We stayed with my parents in Salmon Arm for a couple days and then headed to our next stop which was in Vernon.
Along the way we stopped in at this roadside flea market and Mr.Tiki was happy to see a decent selection of Hawaiian attire.

We even found these cool, old, Toes on the Nose Shag Art Work shorts with great graphics of his mugs/bowls.

The reason we were heading to Vernon, BC was for this place..........Tiki Village Motel!!

I've been meaning to stop here for years but just never did so figured might as well since we have Tiki royalty with us! Plus, I really did want to check this place out at least once and so did Mr.Tiki. I'll post an update and some more pics over in locating Tiki when I get some time.

In our room was this unbelievable Tiki Ice Bucket in Polynesian Fire Red!! I know these are Tiki Ice Buckets because the label told me so! Mr.Tiki wanted to get a shot of this Tiki artifact!

Here's the famed original Witco Lamps that to this day all but 4 of the rooms still have inside. I also saw one in their lobby area.

One last shot here

After this, it is on to Kelowna to meet up with friends and a little drinking with Mr.Tiki!

Mahalo, TabooDan

Awesome trip Dan!!! That motel is very cool. I’m sure Mr. Tiki has been horizontal in more pics than he cares to admit :D Keep the pics rolling!

Awesome trip so far Taboo Dan, looking forward to the next chapter!

DC

I am SO ENVIOUS of that genuine Tiki ice bucket! :lol:

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2018 7:12 PM

Cool stuff, Dan. This was worth the wait!

Hopefully you've got a lot more pictures of Tiki Village Motel; Critiki needs some, plus a rating. And more could be added to its Locating Tiki page.

https://critiki.com/location/tiki-village-motel-vernon-312/

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15935&forum=2

We should be seeing some Cap City Tiki Crawl pics soon. In the meantime, my list of potential Mr Tiki hosts is getting smaller. If you would be interested in hosting Mr Tiki at some point, post a reply here or send me a PM

I saw a photo of Mr. Tiki at the crawl on Instagram yesterday. Disappointed no photos of that have shown up here yet.

I saw a couple on FB too. Mr Tiki and his hosts had a long weekend and they are probably sleeping it off :lol: If I don't see some pics posted this week I'll start prodding someone :D

I was at the Sacramento Tiki Crawl aka Cap City Crawl all three days and I never ran into Mr. Tiki. I don't know where he was hiding but I did see a photo of him posted on fb. Wendy

I believe I ran into Mr. Tiki once or twice during the Cap City Tiki Crawl October 5 -7

Oops! Sorry that ain't him!

Thank you Dr Mojo!!!

Mr Tiki is getting ready to depart again, to a state where he has visited only once. But one he didn't return from! :o

Good Job Dr. Tiki Mojo.
MadDogMike that's just plain scary.

Wendy

Dr. Snakejacket awaits!!!

Your're scaring me Coconutty! :lol:

MadDogMike I'm only like that for the month of October :)

Taboo Dan and Uncle Trav thank you for the photos two ways. I have the same problem so I no longer turn my camera to do tall shots. It didn't use to do this, I miss the old days. I look forward to his next journey. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2018 8:32 PM

On 2018-10-11 21:34, MadDogMike wrote:
Mr Tiki is getting ready to depart again, to a state where he has visited only once. But one he didn't return from! :o

Say, it's almost been a month and no word from Mr. Tiki yet. Although yesterday I talked to my parents for the first time in about a month and a half, so I guess Mr. Tiki's not doing too bad.....

Mr Tiki is safe at his new destination where he celebrated Halloween. Should see some pics soon :D

C

WHEW,wild ride indeed! Mr. Tiki was delivered to his latest host and took off the next day to the Central/Eastern town of Bend Oregon for some extinct volcano viewing and to attend a wild 2 day Halloween Cyclocross race on the grounds of Deschutes Brewery.He's back in Portland Oregon with a quick stop at Mt. Tabor, an extinct "volcano" in S.E. PDX and now anxiously awaiting confirmation on a date(coughcough)for his big meet'n'greet at THE local Tiki institution here in town.He then ship's out next week for his next adventure. So if you're in the PDX metro area and want to attend I'll post it here as soon as I know. Far too many pic's to post but here's a few. 3 Cheer's, Mr. Tiki Lives !!! North Sister,part of the Three Sister's Mountains Lava fields about 4000',Or. Route 22,West of Santiam Pass Pump track section Mr. Tiki's coozie costume and his host Mt. Tabor blowout

Great pics Coconutty! Thanks for hosting :D

H

Mr. Tiki is sightseeing again, nice pictures.

C

Thanks MadDogMike and hiltiki.Mr. Tiki met ton's of great people along the way and all were interested in his origin story.Good time's! Coconutty

Mr Tiki is looking for a new host and he promises to be good (unless you don't want him to :lol: ) If you are interested, let me know :D

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2018 9:07 PM

Did anybody take up hosting Mr. Tiki? I bet he's been restless.

HAMO!!! I have yet to find a host, so Mr Tiki is coming back home for a new battery in his tracking device :)

Hey MadDogMike, expect to see the big fella shipped to your door on Monday!Thanks for sending him out West,he made many happy :)

Thank you Coconutty! And thanks for hosting our little friend :D

Mr Tiki is between hosts so he returned home for a little rest and a fresh battery in his tracker. Holy Schniky!!! You should see the load of souvenirs he has with him! :oNapkins, swizzles, coasters, matches, stickers, menus, postcard, koozies, and who knows what else!

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2018 9:41 PM

Wow, and I thought there was a lot of stuff in the box when he came to me!

I went back to see if I could figure out where some of it came from and realized that I'd missed Mr. Tiki's trip to Hollywood with Dusty. And I wish I'd known about the Jungle Bird matchbooks when I was there with Wendy and Dan a couple of weeks ago.

[ Edited by: Hamo 2018-12-13 21:43 ]

T

So glad people added to that!
Mike you could also add a new list on the back or front of the box as the one inside looks to be filling up.

Art up the box too people and it will come back all covered as well.
I think I only put a few Kahiki stickies on it.
You may want to keep the souvenirs he got with you at home base Mike and the new batch can be added to them at a later date.

Will do Skip, thanks for starting this new tradition :D

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2019 11:21 PM

Well, Mr. Tiki has been taking it easy for a couple months, so he must be restless. Are there any TCers out there who are ready to host him?

T

Is he dead?

F

Send him over the (wrong) ocean to me. I will be glad to make the effort and take him to at least one of the only two tiki bars in the whole country.

Fran, check your Private Messages :)

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Feb 26, 2020 9:11 PM

Say, it's been over a year since Mr. Tiki went anywhere. If it were me, I'd need a vacation by now. Since we've added new members (and some "old" ones have resurfaced), I wonder if anybody out there would be interested in hosting him?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies