Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mr Tiki's Wild Ride - Hosts Wanted

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2018 8:17 AM

He stopped at a bar on the way and had to sleep off the hangover the next day before he continued on. Mr. Tiki is an alcoholic. You guys are only enabling him, taking him to tiki bars.

T

You may be right GROG.

But, if not for the drinkers and over drinkers there would be no Tiki Oasis no Forbidden Island or Mai Kai, etc.....

I don't even think many high end restaurants would be able to stay open if it were not for the large sums of money they make off of booze.

Drinking iced tea and going to places for the music won't pay the bills.

Support tiki, Drink.

I can't believe it's been 2 and a half years since I hosted Mr. Tiki II......time flies!

I just caught up with his misadventures, possible kidnapping and subsequent replacement. The newest incarnation is great. Good job as usual Mike! I'm curious how the tile will work out. I didn't know they worked clear across the country. I'm glad we revived (although I can take no credit) this activity. I always enjoy seeing what the guy has been up to and where he's been. If only I could travel so easily!

On 2018-03-09 13:20, tikiskip wrote:
I don't even think many high end restaurants would be able to stay open if it were not for the large sums of money they make off of booze.

I think you may be right Skip. We had a pretty good Mexican food restaurant in our neighborhood that was very proud of the fact that they didn't serve alcohol. The place was always empty because everyone wants a beer with their tacos. When they closed a sushi place opened, they serve alcohol and are always full.

On 2018-03-09 14:39, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I'm curious how the tile will work out. I didn't know they worked clear across the country.

Yes it will be intersting to see how it works. The Tile tracker isn't a GPS locator (those are expensive), it works on "crowd finding". Supposedly there are millions of people with the Tile app on their phones. If someone with the app active on their phone comes within 100 feet of Mr Tiki, it will "discover" him and send me a notification.

T

“Everyone wants a beer with their tacos”
I hear a lot of “we don’t drink at the events” on TC.
Also the Tropical Bistro went out due to low cash flow, people wanted to come to my house and drink then go to Tropical Bistro for one drink after they got wasted.
These events and Tiki joints need you to spend money when you go there.

I do both, I drink a bunch at home, and then a bunch at the bar.

“it works on "crowd finding". Supposedly there are millions of people with the Tile app on their phones.”

I think Mr. tiki was in the belly of a plane waiting for the weather to clear.
Thus, no people.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2018 7:47 PM

Hey, Prikii, what’s Mr. Tiki been doing in Texas?

Well, Hamo, the truth is that Mr. Tiki hasn't gotten up to all that much in Texas. Last week was spring break for us, and we went to visit friends in Louisiana. Mr. Tiki didn't want to hang around the house all by his lonesome, so we took him along. Naturally, we wanted to show him the sights, so in Beaumont we stopped and let him take in the grandeur of the World's Largest Operating Fire Hydrant.

Here's another shot for perspective. Mr. Tiki was suitably impressed.

Next up was the swamp tour!

Mr. Tiki saw lots of murky water, swamp shacks, birds, raccoons addicted to marshmallows (seriously--that stuff's like crack to them), crawfish and the like. He wasn't sure what to make of it all.

Mr. Tiki did make a new friend.

Then it was off to the French Quarter. Mr. Tiki insisted we go into the Dr. Seuss gallery. Mr. Tiki argued that Seuss' "The Abduction of the Sabine Women" was a modern masterpiece, a subversive commentary on masculinity and codified paradigms of western civilization. One person argued that it wasn't so much subversive as it was transgressive, and Mr. Tiki wanted to fight.

The next day we too Mr. Tiki to one of the St. Patrick's Day parades. Mr. Tiki said, and I quote, "What the hell is this?"

After a suitable amount of green beer, though, he got into the spirit!

Very cool Jayme!!! Thank you for hosting. I have updated the list and map on page 1 :D

T

"a subversive commentary on masculinity and codified paradigms of western civilization. One person argued that it wasn't so much subversive as it was transgressive,"

WTF?
My head hurts, the Mr. tiki I knew said "lets get drinkin".

He would drink with a Fox,
And he would drink in a Box...

Latitude 29?

So, yes, we made it to Latitude 29 with Mr. Tiki. He jumped right in, checking out the menu.

First drink up was the eponymous Latitude 29 cocktail. The banana leaf wrap was a nice touch. "Mmmm, passion fruity!"

Then it was the Banshee, which was like drinking a banana smoothie.

And the Ponchatrain Pearl Diver.

After that, Mr. Tiki was feeling a might frisky, and started making the rounds, flirting with the bar staff.

Some knew to keep him at arm's length.

Others were fascinated by his curse. They get few visitors who arrive with their own curse.

Mr. Tiki then tried to explore strange new lands with one of the Boskos on the wall.

He did discover the disembodied Zombie Beachbum Berry head from the Sippin' Safari 10th anniversary edition.

Finally, the bar staff brought out the Beachbum Berry figure from the back bar and had the two pose for posterity. This must count as a landmark summit of some sort.

H

I'm really enjoying your great documentary of Mr. Tiki's adventures.

Great pics Jayme

After we got back from New Orleans, Mr. Tiki just wanted to rest up a little bit. He found a copy of my book and thought reading it would help put him to sleep. Much to his surprise, it was not about poultry farming!

The next day, I took him to see the local sites. Schlitterbahn is probably the most well-known of our limited options. It's been named the world's best water park by the Travel Channel for something like two decades running. Katie Perry rented out the whole place a couple years ago, and they filmed part of Spy Kids 3D there.

New Braunfels was founded and settled by German immigrants in the 1840s, so pretty much everything has a pseudo-German name. Unfortunately, most of the cool, old buildings were bulldozed in the 70s and 80s to make way for generic strip malls, so a lot of the actual heritage has been lost. But Schlitterbahn has a lot of castle turrets, so that's something.

Mr. Tiki wanted to hit up the water slides, but Schlitterbahn was closed. They opened for spring break, but Mr. Tiki was in Louisiana during that time. That kinda pissed him off. He did think their directional sign was cool, and made note of the various other parks to check out in the future if he was in the neighborhood.

Then I took him by the Wurstfest grounds. It's a 10 day salute to sausage, with lots of beer. That happens in November every year. Mr. Tiki was not happy to hear that. He said if a town is going to play up its German heritage, it should observe Wurstfest every day. Hard to argue with that logic.

Back at the Lagoon of Mystery, I could tell Mr. Tiki was agitated with a lot of nervous energy. He took a look at my "underwater" ceiling and decided it needed more fish silhouettes. It's best not to argue with Mr. Tiki, so I broke out the paint and brushes and he added a number of fish and a few squid for good measure. Mr. Tiki likes to party, but never let it be said that he's a lazy house guest.

Painting a ceiling is tough work. Mostly it's being up on a ladder and contorting one's body to unnatural angles in order to get the job done. Mr. Tiki was pretty achy, so I fixed him a cocktail and suggested he go for a float in the pool to relax a bit. He thought that a fantastic idea, so that's how he spent the afternoon, basking in the sun. Mr. Tiki lives a life of most of us can only dream of.

Prikli, well done, you sure know how to keep the little guy out of jail - by keeping him boozy, I mean, busy!

Someday I may have the privilege of hosting Mr. Tiki, but how the hell am I going to even come close to your excellent travelogue?

Cheers!

Wow! Cocktails, alligators, parades, relaxing by the pool, rubbin' elbows with the Beachbum...

Mr. Tiki: showing us how it's done.

Thanks for sharing the travelogue, Prikli!

Great pictorial of Mr Tiki's travels.

Way to go Prikli! Great set of pics and I also must agree about Wurstfest.

All good things must come to an end--when I got up this morning, Mr. Tiki had already packed his things and departed for parts unknown. I wonder where he'll turn up next?

Prikli Pear wow I think he needs a vacation after his action packed trip with your family. That was ten trips all packed into one. I'm tired just from looking at all the fun photos. You were a great person to start his year with and I'm so happy he's back. Thank you, Wendy

Woohoo! You have NO idea how excited I am to see Mr. Tiki on top of the menu from Latitude 29!!! I'll be there next week!!! And I'm bringing home that mug. :)

:)
Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2018-03-28 17:25 ]

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2018 8:13 PM

Mr. Tiki has really seen a good time so far. I can’t wait to find out where he ends up next.

T

Excited to announce that Mr. Tiki has safely arrived in the Arkansas Ozarks! It has been raining non-stop since his arrival, and he's not happy about it...he keeps murmuring something about a trip he once took to Mount Waialeale...not sure what he's rambling on about. I even found him an umbrella that's just his size, but he's refusing to leave his box at the moment. I do feel sorry for the little suffering bastard.

Perhaps I can entice him with something of a liquid nature. I hope to get him out and about to see some sights real soon. Stay tuned!

When Mr. Tiki came to Ohio it was the first sunny day in a long time.
It has rained ever since he left.

Odd.

T

Mr. Tiki has no issues with statues of deities (obviously) but he was confused as to why anyone would build a 75 foot tall statue of Willie Nelson! :wink:

This seemed like an appropriate stop for him.

Happy Easter!

T

I thought it was Edgar Winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

T

On 2018-04-01 08:31, tikiskip wrote:
I thought it was Edgar Winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

That works, too! Hahahaha
Awesome keyboarding on that video.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The question is, why wouldn't someone build a 75-foot-high statue of Willie Nelson? :lol:

~Jayme

Lagoon of Mystery
http://www.JaymeBlaschke.com

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-04-02 08:05 ]

Today's Trivia - that is the 11th tallest statue in the US

T

I don't know but I'm sure that some crybaby wants to tear it down.

T

Freezing rain forecasted for tonight, so I took some time to take Mr Tiki around today.

Our first stop was the infamous Crescent Hotel, which is said to be the most haunted hotel in America. Mr Tiki didn't seem too impressed, though. Perhaps there was some miscommunication when he asked us to take him someplace with spirits...

Next up, visiting the local public library, one of only two functioning Carnegie libraries left in the state. Mr Tiki selected a book titled "Noa Noa", which was Gauguin's journal from his time spent in Tahiti. I think he's just looking at the wood block prints of nude vahines.

Here is a shot of a famous bath house in town. Mr Tiki kept referring to it as the "Phallus Hotel" for some odd reason...

And finally, a visit to perhaps the only tiki related spot in town... Treasures from the Pacific, a gift shop with lots of tiki mugs, decor, fabric, and more.

I think Mr Tiki felt a little more at home there, anyways. Maybe he's a bit homesick from all of this traveling.

Tonight, I'll get him happy and drunk in the Lanai...he will be moving on next week!

[ Edited by: tikitube 2018-04-03 10:49 ]

Great pics tikitube! Thanks for hosting him. I updated the alumni list on page one and put a map pin in the Ozarks to mark his travels there :D

Very cool! The Wife would LOVE that haunted hotel, and I'm envious of Treasures of the Pacific. Mr. Tiki looks like he's having a great time!

H

Lucky Mr. tiki must be having a lot of fun.

T

Before Mr Tiki headed out for his next destination, he visited the Saturn Room for their annual luau birthday party! We arrived early and partook in several of their exotic elixers, including the Tulsa Driller, Chairman Mao's Revival, Blue Hawaiian, Suffering Bastard, Mai Tai, and of course we had to share a Scorpion Bowl. It was a fun-filled evening, and I'm glad we had a couple designated drivers at the ready.

Mr Tiki then slept in late this morning and after waking in the Lanai, hopped back into his box and left town. I wonder where he will show up next?

Nice pics! Especially the next to the last kaleidoscope thing :o

T

Thanks! My friend has one of those fancy 360 camera thingies. Pretty crazy looking!

Looks like Mr. Tiki had an absolute blast! I've been wanting to hit up the Saturn Room for a while now. If, when I someday get there, I wonder if I'll find "Mr. Tiki was here" scrawled on the restroom wall! :wink:

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2018 10:25 PM

Mr. Tiki has arrived safely in Colorado. He’s been cooped up in his box for a while, so I need to get him out into the fresh mountain air.

Whooooohoooooo! I updated the list and the map on page one :D

If Mr. Tiki is game, I'd love to be the first to host him in "sunny" Michigan! :wink:

T

Mr. Tiki in Colorado just in time for 4-20 day.
We will never see him again.

JCorduroy - I will add your name to the list of potential hosts, I don't think he has been to Michigan yet
Skip :lol: :P :D

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Apr 21, 2018 5:20 PM

I managed to keep him out of too much trouble (considering we’re in a hotel close to last night’s Snoop Dogg concert), but he did crash my sister’s wedding....

T

"considering we’re in a hotel close to last night’s Snoop Dogg concert"

Ha! sounds like hell on earth.

T

All right Hamo that was.... Awesome?

The Wild Ride continues to be so much fun to watch. Great Trip Photos. MadDogMike you can't ever let this stop. Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Wed, May 2, 2018 8:48 PM

On 2018-05-02 16:20, tikiskip wrote:
All right Hamo that was.... Awesome?

Sorry; Mr. Tiki and I have been doing stuff, but I haven’t had a lot of time to put together posts yet. I think I can put a few things up tomorrow, so start holding your breath....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 834 replies