Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Kirby's Art.. pg 74 & 77

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,172 replies

K
kirby posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 4:04 PM

here is the newest framed tiki finaly finished...A change made on the tiki.. and now its of to New York...

B

Nice stuff Kirby, I Especially Love that frame and tiki. Beautiful!!

J

I can't keep up. You're puttin em on faster than I can see.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 5:57 PM

Whoa dude - so mant cool pieces! Love the finished wall frame best of all!

looking good kirby! i can't wait to get one of those framed tikis.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 8:49 PM

king... hopfuly I will get another one done this weekend. I already have a couple tikis ready for framing ..i just have to build the frames...
Thanks again guys your feedback is always welcome...

F
foamy posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 5:17 AM

Kirby, you're a prolific bugger and it keeps getting better all the time. Nice work.

Kirby I am loving all the stuff your comming out with!!!! Thanks again for the cool sperm whale Tiki pendant you gave me for my birthday I freakin love it!!! You seem to be unstoppable with all the creativity running through your veins. Thanks for sharing all of your projects with us.
Later,
Spermy

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:21 PM

here is the finished wall plaque inspired from my guarding the beach painting...

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:28 PM

Kirby,

All the stuff you have been doing is so totally kool. Where are you finding this time!! You are totally exploding! Are you making this stuff in your sleep or what?

Wicked wall hanging, man!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:35 PM

im obsessed........and broke...and hate cleaning pools....

[ Edited by: kirby 2006-03-25 14:45 ]

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:40 PM

And the newest frame progress...the stain is still wet but next comes the poly coat then the back and tiki installation..

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:50 PM

Kirby,

I gotcha. Broke sucks, and I can understand about the pools. Good luck with all the new products. I hope you make a million $$. The new frame is the schnizz.

-Gman

Flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp...Shaka Kirby!

SWweeetT works! This wood and mixed media is fantastic! Keep it up and the Witco faithful may flee and bow before Ku kirby!!!

Oh yeah...I feel with ya on the pool cleaning brah! Southern Florida was where I did mine, 12 to 15 a day. So ART is where to be making it! Keep the faith and others will follow...and hey, where do you find inspiration? In the pools skimmer strainer baskets (more surprises than a box of Cracker Jacks)or the designs left by fire ant blisters around the filters and backwash hose??? TeeHee Central!!! Great stuff, keep'em coming.

Later......flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp... --TravelingJones

Kirby...the wall plaque and frame are very cool....as said above...you are turning out a nice
collection....Getting back to the plaque...the carving is accented very nicely by your painting in
the background.

the new frame looks fantastic! i'm excited by your new pieces.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 5:30 PM

That latest frame is sweet! Your stuff is really coming along lately, nice stuff man.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Mar 26, 2006 3:55 PM

here is a lil more progress.. I ended up makin underbyte as the centertiki of the piece...now just the back and all done...

kirby, underbite looks great!

K
kirby posted on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 2:30 PM

here is underbyte in wood done,,, on to the next,,,

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 27, 2006 5:46 PM

nice stuff man! frame looks tops

Cool piece Kirby!
Love it!

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2006-03-27 19:45 ]

yeah! now i'll have kirby's underbite painting and framed tiki! :)

K

its on its way king... as soon as i find a box...thanx...kirby

Received our mixed media carved tiki/frame today. We love it!

K

im glad you like it aik..looking forward to seeing it up in the tiki lounge...

K
kirby posted on Thu, Mar 30, 2006 6:48 PM

here is progress on a new frame im makin.. This time i desided to use only hand chisles and carve the sides also.. man this one is the hardest so far I have a new respect for benz, monkeyman and basement kahuna for the passions it take when useing No power tools..

F
foamy posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 5:40 AM

Hey Kirby, your frames are looking great. You really should be spending more time on what you put in 'em. Underbite looks like an afterthought compared to the frame.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-03-31 05:44 ]

K
kirby posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 6:01 AM

Hey foamy, both of the last two tikis have been special requests, and in the photo they may look too simple compared to the frame but in person it sets a nice contrast. I have some more detailed tikis that I will be adding to a future frame.. we will see how they compare...

F
foamy posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 6:09 AM

I understand ya Kirby. Just trying to be constructive (and not offend).

K
kirby posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 6:49 AM

No offence taken, your personal oppinion is welcome and appreciated,just remember as the artist I get the final say,hahah...dont take that the wrong way its just a joke...kirby

M

Nicely done Kirby.

H

Kirby it is nice to see you evolve from 2-D to 3-D you have a natural talent. Wish I could see some of this stuff in person. Maybe one of these Sundays you can bring a few to the Lucky Tiki? I will let you know if I can go.just kidding

On 2006-03-31 05:40, foamy wrote:
Hey Kirby, your frames are looking great. You really should be spending more time on what you put in 'em. Underbite looks like an afterthought compared to the frame.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-03-31 05:44 ]

that's harsh! i requested underbite to match the painting i own, and i'm very happy with the way he turned out.

F

Hey Kingstiedye, really, sorry you feel that way. Do you think it is a reflection on your taste? You think it was harsh? It wasn’t meant that way. It was meant entirely as constructive criticism, which has become glaringly absent around these parts.What is a forum of artists for? For everyone to glad-hand one another? One would think it would be welcomed. I for one would welcome it and in fact, ask for it. No, I just thought that a frame should accent the artwork. Kirby explained it to me and I accept that. Evidently, as usual, it’s just me. If I didn’t respect Kirby and his work I would never have bothered to mention it. I didn’t mean to ruffle anyones feathers. My apologies. Peace.

the man is a factory... unstoppable.

chisels are tough but they offer a lot of control and detail.

Keep it up.

it's cool foamy! :) i probably took your criticism personally. i should only be concerned about how i feel about underbite. i dig it and that's all that matters to me. peace brah! bullet

K
kirby posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 5:13 PM

I would like to add that I do appreciate your input foamy,and the tips of the trade that we get here on TC from the others is awsome, and is one reason to join in..another reason and I think the most imortant for me, is just plain encouragement to be yourself and create regardless if somone likes your art/compisision/colors/skill level etc...Thats why you probly see mostly possitive things being said in creating...constructive critisim is fine, but can be seen in a negitive way if someone isnt asking for it. I personaly dont mind but its probobly better to address those kind of comments in a pm so its not seen in the wrong way...
That said we all have our own opinions on what art should be and what looks good and thats a great thing.
But I still agree with bullet...underbyte looks great in this frame....im accualy thinkin of doing more stuff with him...

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 31, 2006 9:39 PM

Cool stuff Kirby - good to see you growing with each piece and taking on advice :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 6:40 AM

Kirby,

I'm really digging this thread lately; all sorts of craziness going on here! I love it. The new frame looks choice! I can't wait to see it assembled and stained so I can really appreciate what you've done. Have you figured out how to carve/cut one of your headhunters out of wood and get them in a frame like that? Maybe a rough sketch, a little jig saw action, and then some of Kirby's colored brush strokes to create a wooden headhunter/chief to be framed? Hmmmmmm???

-Gman

Life is Good Kirby! You are a madman with the talents, chewing up big bowls of exotica idea and spewing forth colorful mixed medias for ALL! Powerful to create emotions from foamy and bullet...you're cause and effect to the masses...RELISH THY FRUITFUL BOUNTY!!!.......uUhgGmm...uh-hmm...Oops? My personal thoughts run loose upon the keyboard! Great stuff kirby, keep creating and keep sharing.

Later, flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp --TravelingJones

B

Nice frame KIrby, you have been holding out on us again I see. What is it you Can't do?

K
kirby posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 11:37 PM

It rained all day so i desided to do sum more painting I will have these all finished up for oasis...
I dont have a name for this one yet if somone has a suggestion let me know

this one im callin hmmmtiki

B

Nice Stuff Kirby, we should pray for more rain on your house so we get More coolness from you..

These two are fantastic, Kirby.

What kind of stuff are you going to be selling at Oasis? Original paintings, prints, carvings, all of the above?

L
Loki posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 11:57 AM

I like hmmmtiki a lot. Simple design and the colors are great. Keep raining I say...

K
kirby posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 12:14 PM

thanks....kate , here is the list of stuff i will have at oasis
paintings,wood pendents,poly clay pendents and shrunken heads,prints,Tiki poles,framed tiki wall hangings,plaques,lamps,man i hope i have enough room ...

Both are great Kirby , your in the creating groove lately.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1172 replies