Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 10, 2010 12:46 PM

Ahhhhhh. I imagine you'll be feasting on wild boar? :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 15, 2010 8:18 PM

When can you come back? Any chance soon?

J

"Go Johnny, Go, Go! Johnny be good!" :lol:!

Look who's back!

Starting in on that massive pile of logs I see.

Looking forward to this!

B

oh great now i just blew up my computer from all drual dropping on it
after seeing that pile of logs!!!

great stuff!

:)
:)

B

Yo Johnny, Nice to see you starting another Giant.. Looks like he will be a spectacular one. Keep us posted??

L

On 2010-08-25 18:33, JohnnyP wrote:

Go Johnny! Go!

T

I need to practice with the chainsaw. Looks like it saves a ton of work on these big guys.

J

thanks folks, I appreciate it. I've been here every day checking out all the art and progress, I just don't have a lot of time anymore to post a lot due to more hours at work, you know how it is now.... Work should slow down in a couple months and I'm looking forward to getting back to fun stuff and a life.

Holy Catz!
Now I'm inspired....Johnny is back with a big hunk of tiki....so great that it's
attracting all sorts of attention :)
I missed having the "regular JohnnyP fix" and it's great to have you back!

B

THAT is KILLER work dude !

Hat's off,

B.

B

Johnny OH JOHNNY!!! Incredible Hunk of Wood there. Excellent way to come back and say "Hello"!
You Aren't gonna stop There Are'ya? Theres a few more tiki's in that log pile.. Whats next?

Holy Crap that was fast! Nice Job

L

Great! great! great! Quick carving , quick sharing... Bravo JohnnyP!

I don't know how quickly he got it done - but it sure did turn out nice. Its awkward carving something while laying on the ground. Proportions and angles are totally wacked. How did you stand it up?

SWEET!

Mega log!

Nice work!

And what a comeback!

S

Killer carve! Love the size and the outstanding cuts going down.

J

Hey guys long time no post. I did manage to finish something up.

That last big tiki was a blast to carve.

Alohastation
"I don't know how quickly he got it done - but it sure did turn out nice. Its awkward carving something while laying on the ground. Proportions and angles are totally wacked. How did you stand it up?"

Aloha was right, the large tiki did take about 8 weeks of odds and ends of time on weekends to finish up. How did it get in place? A backhoe with a chain had to lift it into place.

Here is the slit gong I was working on last winter completed. Somebody saw this piece half completed in my garage and had me finish it up.

Thanks for looking and I hope to be able to carve more often now....

L

I'm still working in a PNG piece... decorative face on your slit drum is amazing!
Really inspired!

Maybe like you,here weather is not really for carving...

B

Johnny, I think you need to go to PNG and show those guys how to carve those things.

Very cool log drum Johnny...good to see you back in the area again! Somewhere in your
family background you must have a little png blood. You are "the natural" at that stuff.

A
amate posted on Sun, Dec 19, 2010 1:38 PM

That drum is killer!!! I love the PNG stuff and yours are some of the best I've seen... and that Ku aint too shabby either.

T

Awesome drum, John. I still have to understand how the heck you hollow those things out! :)

Gorgeous lady. Incredible art. You have some serious chainsaw skills my friend.

S

That must have been a pain in the butt to work on. Getting it in a position to carve it. I have enough problems with a small piece I can put on a bench...

S

Killer detail on the Drum. You the drum master.

B

Excellent skills on the drum,, I'd say much better than the original and I bet it Sounds great too?

J

Thanks everybody.

Since TC was down the other week, so I went to Eygpt Central.

Here is a new project. Not tiki, but definitely exotic. A mummy case loosely influenced by Tut's. This was a request from my wife, just to make the house a tad bit more different.

Carved from one log, split and hollowed out. 82 inches tall. You can even lay down inside. And it is taking way too much time.

:o TOO COOL!!! :o

So how long did that take? Really cool project for the missus Johnny. You gonna
carve a sphynx too?

Did the wife ask you to make sure you can fit in it?

On 2011-01-31 10:37, AlohaStation wrote:
Did the wife ask you to make sure you can fit in it?

Since TC was down the other week, so I went to Eygpt Central.

I couldn't stop laughing as I read these quotes!

That is really nice detail in the drum and the mummy. If the missus puts you in there make sure to evoke the Pharaoh principle and take the drum with you

B

Johnny, This Egyptian piece is Totally Incredible! It doesn't seem to make much difference what you carve, it Always ends up to be an Exceptional carving. The Giant Hawaiian Tiki is Awesome, The PNG drum is WAY Outta sight and the "Mummy Case" is Literally to DIE For (coff,coff). Man you Continue to earn More and More respect!

holy crap thats some intense detail work. thats friggin awsome!!!!!!.great work mr
P.is it going to get all painted up too with gold leaf and everything?

L
laojia posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2011 9:29 PM

On 2011-01-30 14:19, JohnnyP wrote:

And it is taking way too much time.

Awesome carving!!! A non tiki piece but the subject engages directly with the news... In any case great work!

J.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 7, 2011 5:53 AM

I hope Mummy P likes it.....

J

Wow, its been over a year since I've posted.
TUT has been done a while, just haven't had the time to take pictures, it has been a crazy year, no time.

Holy ship
U rock

J

Hello all,

Been a while, life has kept me very busy! I have been checking things out here as time permits. Lots of good carvings I see have been posted and several new talented members

OK, lets see if I remember how to do this... I will attempt a Ku.

First rough cuts

Further removal- I am rusty and making lots of mistakes I should know better, but is has been several years.

A couple fun hours with the chainsaw and the saw rough out is done. I spent a lot of time fixing mistakes and remembering how to do some of the cuts.

I forgot how fun it was. :)

Welcome back

I don’t see any mistakes

Great start

And a couple hrs?

It would have taken me a couple days to attempt to get that far

Cheers

ALRIGHT _ Welcome back!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies