Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

J

G- from what I've read those faces represent ancestors.

Papio- That one wasn't mine :wink: but thanks for linking it. I saved the pics as reference. One of those drums is finished, just needs stain, the other needs a good sanding and some decorative carving, then it is done. The third one down is the croc horn I've been posting updates on. This weekend I'll work on it.

The wood is ash. Even the pighammer is ash. It is a lot bigger than a baseball bat, and weighs a lot more also.

Thanks guys for your continued support.

J

No Pighammer update this week, but I did get some time in on the horn. This is the third one down from the top in the picture in the previous post. I also stained the top drum but no pictures of it finished yet.

Lots more sanding to go on this one. It has a nice deep sound tone.

Thanks for looking

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 14, 2007 6:23 AM

Johnny,

This horn is so killer....I can't stand it. I sent you a PM. Are you going to dig out the back of the teeth like you did in that canoe prow? Where is that prow anyway? If he is completed I sure would like to see some pics of it. Anyway, I have a special mission where I need to use a crocodilian horn and this one would be perfect for the task. Maybe we can come to an arrangement?

-G

Great looking horn Johnny, as with all of your PNG stuff. I would assume that this
is hollowed out from tip to tip....what tools are you using to do that?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 1:16 PM

Johnny,

I'm on the edge of my seat! Apple wood huh? Dimensions? :) I really appreciate you taking on this special mission for me. This will be a seriously special piece. Did I mention I can't wait!!!

-G

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 19, 2007 4:12 PM

Ola?

B

Awesome stuff as usual JP. In case the rest of you have not been to Johnny's web site, HERE it is. Check it out but not without your Drool Towels!

J

Hi all, been traveling alot, only one weekend home so far this summer. No much time to carve. I do have some big-big different stuff in the works, and I mean different.
Thanks for checking in.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 22, 2007 6:04 PM

Aside from the G8tr GetR, whattacha grindin on?

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-07-23 05:07 ]

T

so jp - I went to the honolulu acadamy of the arts last week (another miserable week in hawaii), and they had a 'oceania' gallery. I went to that - and they had your crocodile/alligator slit gongs. My wife was amazed that the pig slit gong I made had a history, of sorts. It validated my hobby.

ANyway, if anyone goes to honolulu,check this place out. Bummer was Bishop museum Hawaiin culture exibit was closed, so I didn't get to go there. Here's a link to the museum:

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/cmshaa/academy/index.aspx?id=1089

See ya man. You're an inspiration!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 6:13 PM

JP,

I didn;t see the pics you spoke of - not here or on your site. I'll check back next week.

On 2007-07-22 16:46, JohnnyP wrote:
...I do have some big-big different stuff in the works, and I mean different.

Intriguing..?

T :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 4, 2007 7:05 PM

Horn pics?

J

He is one for Gman- He's been very patient. There is a lot of good work going here in the carving section. too much sanding to go.

Having trouble with the internet. Gotta log off.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-08-05 18:07 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 5, 2007 6:41 PM

Wow Johnny! The horn far exceeds my expectations - and it isn't even done yet! Happy Happy!!! The layout and tooth cut-in are geat. Love the scutes on the back of his neck! Hopefully I can get a b-flat out of it and the monster crocs will answer the call. Next time you're in town we'll have some g8tr bites.

-G

B

BEAUTIFUL Stuff JP. I Just can't believe the detail in this piece JP. Rock ON.

B

WOW, beautiful.

Looks great. This piece has a great expression to it.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 4:48 PM

So I come home from work, right? ....and all the dogs in the neighborhood are going nutz! I hear all this screaming and growling out in my backyard....so I grab the JPigHammer and head out back to see what all the ruckus is about. I get down into the thick stuff, and you guessed it, a big old boar hog was barricaded-in under my oak tree. Damn bugger! Now me and pigs just don't get along, so I layed into him with a two-handed forehand and then a two-handed backhand. SLAM! BANG! I followed up with an overhead drop on him to finish the task. SPLAT! Good thing I had the JPighammer with me! Bacon anyone?

What a stylin' hammer!

The business end.....

Thanks Johnny!

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 5:17 PM

Gman

If you posted just one picture, I would have believed your story. Post one eslewhere and they will believe too. Don't show Peta.

JPs pig hammer looks great. Saw and felt my only one at JPs house. Was the best tiki place I've been to yet.

C

GMan you are a lucky dude to possess such an incredible weapon...they should hire you at
Hormel!
Fun pics too...many props to Johnny for the great Pighammer and to you for being the
ONLY guy who could do it justice! It looks just massive in your hands...more intimidating
than Barry's bat.

M

Is that one of Johnnys pieces of artwork?? That kicks azz!!

T

Did someone say Bacon?

Tikisgrl

B

I heard the pig squeel from My house so I Knoe he hit it HARD. Nice Pig hammer John, Nice pig GMAN.
Cool pictures

F

mmmm…bacon. Oh yeah and the hammer is nice too.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 5:51 PM

I forgot to add a disclaimer to that pig whacking post - No pigs or pig parts were harmed or hammered in the production of these pictures....

-G

J

Hi,
Thanks everybody. Gman did bring home the bacon didn't he. Here is his next new toy.

And another little something done just for fun. A pighammer pendant with a stylized boarshead toggle.

Great work on the croc Johnny....I dig the figure at the end of the mouth. Actually
reminds me a little bit my pencil neck (the grin) without the garish paint. Gman is gonna
have a nice collection of Johnny art. Too bad he owns the croc (that's a horn isn't it?)
cuz I was thinking the mensters could use that.
Always some of my favorite art...now get back to work.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 13, 2007 4:26 PM

Howdie-hey there Johnny!

That horn is just blowing my mind! I am crazy diggin' that work you did down his back and on his head. Great ancestor on the nose; I didn't see that coming! I can only imagine how difficult it is to hollow out all that area around the teeth - aack! No sweat for you though aye? You knocked this task off like nothing. An absolutely perfect piece. It's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

-G

Johnny-
You work is truely amazing. Gman is very fortunate to receive these fine treasures.
YOU RAWK BRO!!!

B

Hey John, This is CROC if I've ever seen one and is just downright Awesome. How do you come up with all this detail, are you from PNG? Daayummm ,Really Well done.

Nasty hog there! Nice one. Very interesting club also. Looks like it could easily match a Glasgow kiss anyday! Wouldn´t wanna meet that one in a dark alley...

KK

NICE!!!!
That was the rollings brah! I was laughing my okole off! Love the clubs and the pendant is pono!!! I like what you did with the toggle... sweet.

Man, what good work Im seeing! glad to be back fo'shua!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 15, 2007 4:35 AM

Wow! Love 'em both! G is indeed a lucky fellow if he's getting both of these. The croc horns look like a lot of work with all the intricate surface detailing - and those teeth! You seem to pick really challenging designs that no-one else has tried and nail them every time. I still want to see more of those big slit gongs too....

On 2007-08-15 04:35, Paipo wrote:
... I still want to see more of those big slit gongs too....

Here are some photos of the one JohnnyP made for me:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25268&forum=1&0

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 18, 2007 5:55 AM

"G is indeed a lucky fellow."

You've got that right! I can't wait to see this horn in person. I've heard it over the phone, and let me tell you, it sounds as cool as it looks! This is going to be a treasured addition to my collection of "crazy" things. As I post pics of stuff in my thread, you will see other pieces from JohnnyP scattered around my house - a shark tooth weapon, a club, the JPigHammer, a hei-tiki, and now this horn. Johnny's carvings have a flow and energy about them that I have not seen elsewhere. The pieces that I have acquired are some of my favorite possessions.

-G

T

Never have looked under this heading before but found a ton of cool stuff that most of us would want most of.

Check out this pighammer
HAmmer

$2,000.00 Starting price.

Very nice stuff, Johnny...It was good to see you and your wife in Tennessee.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 6:32 AM

JP,

Yepper, B-flat it was......come they did. Thank you! Pics to your work address.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 8:51 PM

Whattcha doing up there?

-G

B
Bete posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 10:45 AM

JohnnyP, you Wild Man! More great posts of your artwork in here Dude! Cool stuff Man!

J

Thanks guys for the props.

Here is a jade hook I did for a friend at work. About 3/4 of an inch wide.

B

Johnny, the hook is Really looking Sweet! Nice job keeping the lines fair and tight.
You know, you are becoming an All Around" Carve-it-All" stuff carver. How cool is That?

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 9:09 AM

Very nice. You had no problem making a transition to stone. As Ben says 'how cool is that!'

H

"how cool is that?"

very waaaaaay cool is how cool that is! Superbly executed--nice work, JP.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 4:04 PM

Nice job Johnny! Is that completed or something you are gonna pick at for a while?

Way to go JP! I know its been a while since youve banged the old rocks together (since pg41!), but I also know progress when I see it! Looks as though youre pushing the design side of your matau/hooks and becoming more familiar/confident with jade. Keep it up!

Great looking croc-bong that Gman is 'tooting' on back there too! :wink:

Tama

J

Thanks Ben and Tama, I couldn't have done this without pouring over your threads to learn what I could.

Gman, no it wasn't finished I did have to go back and clean it up. The macro shot, shows every scratch, so I spent a lot of time sanding.

Thanks for the support.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies