Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:06 PM

JohnnyP, you are a wildman! Great post! Too funny with the picture of you at teh bottom, looks like you're having fun, that's awesome! Keep up the good work!

J

, Hi everybody. Thank you for the complements on the U‘U‘. I should have replied to this a while ago.

Thank you BK for your welcoming me to team Kahunassou.
You are right on the U’U’ every curve crashes into the next form and it is hard to get tools in the right position to carve. Sanding was a pain. I look forward to seeing yours.

Kaha Ki’I I’ll take some close ups and post them. Thank you for the complement, it means a lot coming from a person that actually lives in the "south seas".

Benzart I've seen these in books and on line and saw the dimensions listed, but it was a surprise how big they actually were when I saw one in a museum.

Finkdaddy, I would like to see the tiki you come up with in a fighting stance with a weapon. Bring it on!

Bete, I am having a blast doing this! It only looks like I am a wild man. :)

Gman came up with the idea of us making a club mounted with shark teeth like some he had seen on line Gman and I traded some shark teeth for a roughed out club. I got the much better end of the deal. I owe him some more!

I found a reference and here is my version of a Palau Papaihomano. It is made of red oak and shark teeth. It is about 15.5 inches long and 1 inch thick.

Best side -no knots in the cord showing,

Knot side- knots in the hemp cord show

Close up

With reference photo-Island Ancestors -Allen Wardwell

When I was done, my 6 year old daughter said “That is some back-scratcher”

Thanks for looking hope you enjoyed.
Have a nice day
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-02-04 03:23 ]

L
Loki posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:34 AM

That is one seriously nasty looking weapon...i would hate to be on the receiving end of that in a fight.

Very Nice job Johnny. Did you have to drill holes in each tooth to sew the line through the wood and teeth? It really gives it a great hand made feel. Whats next?

B

Very nice club Johnny. Very precise and very Dangerous looking. Don't drop that on your toe.

KK

Aloha again Bruddah,
Nice job on the shark tooth club! No worries about knots showing brah, it doesnt take away from the overall beauty and these kine weapons werent really meant to be pretty, they were meant to used! And using Oak brah...Da buggah must be deadly heavy! You did a good job brah replicating da kine from a photo! I make small hand clubs and leiomano all the time (wish I had time to make more!)and Im sure you know the how good it feels to hold that buggah in your hand, yeah? Every person who has ever picked one of mine up says their first thought is "ouch! I wouldnt want to get hit with that!"...
You can feel the "mana" when you hold one and its no wonder only warriors of a certain class could own one!

You should pick up a copy of "Hawaiian arts & crafts" By Peter Buck.(www.nativebookshawaii.com or http://www.bishopmuseum.com)
The volume on weapons has pretty concise info on the different methods of attaching the niho to the paddle. Theres a few different ways to do it which might make it a bit easier for you next time, if youre worried about "knots" showing...

Your weapons are turning out pono brah! Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

Good job...a beauty!

J

Loki, I wouldn't want to get hit with this either.
I did drill every tooth and ground the bases flat so they would sit well on the wood. I used hemp jewelery cord to lash them to the club.

Benzart. Thank you and I'll try not to drop this on my toe, I cut myself on one of these while I was drilling them, these teeth are sharp!!!

Kahi Ki'i I checked that book out, I think I am going to order it. After holding the completed piece, I can understand why these clubs were restricted to the warrior class.

BK I do apprceiate the complement.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 4:42 PM

JohnnyP,

Oh Yeah...that looks great! I'm glad the teeth worked out for you and I'm very impressed with the piece you made. Very nice. I agree, that would hurt like stink to get hit with. Yikes!

What else are you working on up there? Any changes to the big PNG tiki? I wanna see more of that one.

-Gman

J

Gman,
Glad you like it! By the middle of next week you should have the wood blank to make your own.

Thanks again for the teeth. This was a fun project.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 4:46 PM

JohnnyP,

What's on tap for this weekend? Are we gonna see a PNG tiki update? What else do you have in the works? I can't wait to see the new club with the tiger teeth on it.

-Gman

B
Bete posted on Sat, Feb 11, 2006 10:03 AM

That is a really cool club JohnnyP!

J

I carved another fish this weekend. I know it is not exactly tiki, but it is tropical décor. The wood is Box Elder and has swirls of gray and red throughout the grain. It is 3 feet wide from wing tip to wing tip.

Manta Ray

Here is the progress of the Mai Kai tiki.
Mrs. JohnnyP painting. I couldn’t ask for better! She is painting a thin wash of color, the flash makes it look brighter and bolder than it really is. She also gave the face a wash of black/gray to make it look older. Note the reference photo Swanky provided. (thank you again)

Done painting

Outside for stain. Stained a fairly light color. A mix of MinWax pickled oak and early American, sprayed on. The base is wiped on with leftover odds and ends mix of dark colors. Here it is. It will stay outside for a few days to dry before we bring it in. See the snow. This is what we picked up last week just before the Superbowl. Spring is only six weeks away.

Thanks for looking, have a great day.

JP

That looks great. And how cool of your wife to paint it. She did a amazing job.
How are you fairing tonight ? , I read you guys are getting some nasty weather.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 12, 2006 5:55 PM

JohnnyP,

That looks so great man! The colors combined with the stain really set this one off. His face really stands out now. Wikkid props to Mrs. JohnnyP. That is so killer! I like what you did with the base too. How did you get that effect? Is it carved, burned, painted, or something else. And that manta, that is choice! What a cool project. You had to remove lots of wood to get those wings thin didn't ya. I bet that took a while. I love the way you carved the face in feeding mode. Way to go! Jeeze, now I want one....Ack!

-Gman

KK

Aloha JohhnyP!
Hey bruddah, great work on the manta ray! Looking pono...How you going to finish it up? Stain or paint? Just curious! that would make a nice display piece hung from a ceiling!
The Mai Kai tiki looks pono too cuz! And how nice is it to have da wife collaborate with you on the carving?! My wife helps me out too, and Although its hard to admit, her ideas are usually mo bettah than mine!

Nice work brah, keep it up!!

Malama Pono!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2006 9:36 AM

JohnnyP, awesome man, it's coming along great!

J

Thanks guys!

The snow missed us here, only a trace amount, we got lucky :)

The base is only stained, not burnt. I had some real old stain that was kinda thick and I dumped in the remains of a couple other colors, shook it up and wiped it on. The stain did not want to spread like it normally does and I had to really rub it in. It made for an antique look, because it absorbed differently everywhere.

Cutting the ray out wasn't bad, the hard part was making the wings look like each other.

Kaha k'i' Thanks. I have to admit my wife's ideas are "usually mo bettah than mine!" as well!

JP

M

B

This big tiki is looking great JP. I really like the Manta ray. A Really unique animal to carve, not something you would normally see and here we wre blessed with 2 manta's within a couple weeks. Nice going.

Thats a really nice figure Johnny....Mrs. did a fine job with the paint brush....and where are
you gonna put the ray...that's very cool too.....

Nice work JohnnyP I would'nt want to meet that guy in a dark ally. The ray is a bad dude as well.
Thom
P.S. Nice weather

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 5:26 PM

JohnnyP,

Did the cold keep you inside today? Any new pics?

-Gman

J

Thanks guys for the complements. Mrs. JohnnyP appreciated them.

Gman no the cold did not keep me inside, I went out and carved a bit, not too long though. It was 9 degrees outside and so cold the bar oil in my saw was so thick the chain would not move. Had to keep it rev’ed way up until the bar warmed up. No pictures though. At least I didn't have to quit because it was too warm like you did, lucky.

We did bring in the Mai Kai Tiki after it sat outside for a week freeze drying. He is as done as he is going to be. Here he is inside and with better lighting than the last pictures taken outside at twilight.

These next four are some of my older stuff and because I'm running out of room I am going to sell them, I hope. Admittedly not my best so I am going to sell them cheap. Check the marketplace tikibay post tomorrow if you are interested (or PM me). $20 for the black Ku style and $25 for the others, plus shipping. 15 to 24 inches tall.

Thanks for looking.
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-02-18 17:51 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:10 AM

That Mai Kai tiki looks great Johnny! The traditional style works well on it.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:44 AM

JohnnyP,

The Mai Kai tiki looks great. The combination of your carving skills and Mrs. JohnnyP's painting skills is a winning combo for sure. Wonderful job!!! I bet he was happy to come inside after a week of standing outside with no clothes on? Yowwie!

He's a keeper alright, sell all those others and give him a place of honor - maybe near the fireplace so he can stay warm. Keep an eye on him though, he looks mischievous :wink:

-Gman

J

Gman, yes he was happy to come inside from the cold. Your tiki is sunning himself next to a warm pool looking all content. Kaha ki'i steered me a direction to find some photos of some Hawaiian weapons. Thanks.

Since today was cold again up here I did these two small ones. I think one is called a "Pahi" similar to Kaha ki'i's (although nowhere near as good). I have no idea what the other one is called.

Thanks for looking.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 5:43 PM

JohnnyP,

Those clubs look great - you were busy today :). I'm glad you are using those teeth to make cool stuff. What type of wood is that?

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 5:45 PM

Cool clubs. Im hoping to do some shark teeth clubs myself.

B

More nice fancy sticks to beat mean people with, I See. Very well done mate. and the tiki looks GREAT inside. he definitely has his color back, as he was getting kind of cold and pale out there.
Now is the time for a New Cahllenge, a Good challenge, something you don't think you Can do but something you WILL do and do well.
Thanks JP, now get to work..

Coupla nice weapons Johnny.....you must be stocking the arsenal....let me know when to come
over...I'll join your side....they look pretty wicked.

A
Alldo posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:37 PM

Nice job Johnny. Put one of those under the seat of your car so the next time someone cuts you off .........uh ......never mind.

Alldo

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-02-19 19:37 ]

H
hmc posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 10:18 PM

Love 'em! They're cute yet primitive. Something Bam Bam and Pebbles would use in The Flindstones!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 2:12 PM

Cool pictures JohnnyP.

J

Gman. Thanks again for the teeth, they have had a few fun projects. Check your PM later tonight. The new clubs are red oak, stained with a light color.

Hewey- I bet you some wonderful things, even shark teeth clubs, in your recent voyage, you need to tell the stories and show us art the trip inspired.

Congatiki- Yes I am building an arsenal, somebody has to in case the Jawja Province, Isle of North America decides to raise a ruckus, you are welcome to join this side.

Aldlo, Would that be considered a concealed shark tooth weapon, would that be legal or not?

HMC- The Flintstones rule! My wife just named the last two Pebbles and Bam Bam.

Bete- Thanks for the continued support

Benzart- A good challenge? I have no idea. Your the big kahuna (a well deserved title) around here, what would you suggest? If you were to buy a set of chisels, what brand would you recommend?

Those really, really, really, cheap tikis are still available.

Thanks again.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-02-20 19:00 ]

Aloha Johnny P!!!!!!!
Nice clubs my friend!Clean and smooth very nice . Keep carving and stay warm, Aloha your friend , Jimmy Mooney

L
Loki posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 5:38 AM

JP,
Lookin' great as usual. As for the next project....go small for your next challenge. The proportions should be fun to work out, and you can get some killer detail on them. I know you can pull it off.

KK

Aloha JohhnyP!
Hey brah, nice work on the Pahi's! Yes, theyre both "pahi" which basically means "knife"...They werent really used as weapons but more as carving tools and implements used for everyday stuff like small kine fine carving, trimming kapa, skinning bark from olona to make cordage, cleaning & gutting fish, skinning pig, etc....

You really busted those out wikiwiki bruddah! They look great and are probably very strong considering you used oak for the handles! If you need a good hook-up on Genuine Koa, let me know brah. These kine implements were usually made from Milo and Koa and look pono when made from the actual Hawaiian hardwoods...

Just wait until you get the Peter Buck Books! Youre gonna be making all kine different weapons and things li'dat!
Keep up the good work cuz!!!

Malama Pono!

V

all i can say is holy @#$%! Wow!! Dude, where have you been hiding? Very nice work indeed. Impressive.Really nice looking stuff. I especially like the Dorados that you carved.I think they call them dolphin in Fla? I recently carved one myself, but yours are much nicer.I enjoyed your post and please share more!

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2006-02-22 09:55 ]

J

Here is the project I’ve been working on for the last week or so. It's been cold out so I was able to do a lot of this indoors in front of the fireplace.

It is a Maori knife from New Zealand . At least my interpretation. Every time I carve something I wonder in awe about the ability of the original craftsmen that made these terrific pieces of art with very primitive tools.

Hope you enjoy. This was a fun one.

JP

incredible work Johnny...I want you on my side when the war breaks out!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 6:19 PM

Dude that is simply amazing - Im in awe and love. Thats a great piece of work

I would love to see some detail pics of how you have attached the teeth, as it is something I am hoping to do soon.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 7:01 PM

JohnnyP,

Yep, that's a keeper. The teeth look great on there. Maybe the tigers will go on the next one? That's wikkid. I like the black background shot. You fooled me for a minute - I thought that was a shot from a book! Very nice job. Now don't go getting in trouble with all those weapons now...play nice!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-03-11 04:45 ]

J

Thanks guys,

I did have the Tiger Shark teeth all laid out but they didn't want to sit right, so instead of fighting it I went with the flow. I ordered the book Kaha Ki'i recomended about Hawai'i and the weapons, so I should have some good examples to pick from the use the Tiger Shark teeth.

JP

dude...you're insane. I see pictures of carvings like that in books and I say "that's really cool, but a little over my head". Not over yours, though. I saw that last picture and, like gman, I first thought it was from the book. Amazing job

J

Polynesiac,
This was over my head. The pictures make it look better than real life. The dark stain hides some of the flaws. I learned a lot though. The first thing I learned is not to use oak for something like this.

JP

KK

JohhnyP!
Wow brah! Beautiful Maripi!!! Youre kickin ass cuz! You sure you dont wnat to sell da buggah's you carve? Very nice nice!! yeah bruddah, as soon as you get the Peter Buck book on War & weapons, youre gonna really be smokin' on da kine!!! The attachement of the teeth to the kahiko weapons is the hardest part about making weaponry and your work shows how much time & effort you put into your work!

Again, very beautiful!!! Cant wait to see what you come up with next!!!

Malama Pono!!

B

JP, this is really an incredible carving. When you get to the carving stage where you are doing the peirce carvings like this, going all the way through the wood multiple times, you enter another whole knew world. The degree of difficulty is treemendous and you just did it like it was "Just" another carving. I know what you mean about feeling what it was like for those former, ancient carvers with their primitive tools and the trouble they had. We have all kinds of power tools and it is Still difficult.
Very Well Done.

P

wow, that's beautiful.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 1:10 PM

Super work JP. You just keep getting better. Somethin' small scale next?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies