Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 26, 2006 1:10 PM

JohnnyP,

Any croc updates? we wanna see! Also, any progress on the noprat?

-Gman

J

I’ve been complaining lately about the logs in my log pile so this weekend with the help of my dad, I corrected that problem. These are all fresh. 8 –20 inch diameter logs in pine, ash (several clean 6-8 ft logs) and cherry. Happy Happy Happy I have some curved ones to carve jumping fish and maybe one for a Benzart style curved lono type.

For you guys coming this weekend some of these are for you!

This is the update on the crocodile canoe prow. This is slow going. With the new Flexcuts, I keep jumping from one spot to the next trying the different profiles, too much of a good thing.

We were away for part of the weekend and when we got back we didn't have power so I had a lot of checking up to do on all the progress everybody made over the weekend. A lot of wonderful carving. Thanks to everybody who posts their art and progress.

Thanks for looking.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 7:08 PM

JohnnyP,

Man, those are some healthy logs. Can I have one if I come up this weekend?

I'm loving that canoe prow. You're gonna be loving those flexcuts. He looks great. I can't wait to see where he goes from here. I imagine you'll be working on him for at least a month :lol:

The club came in the mail today; it is absolutely awesome! That wood is so smooth and the color is so warm - dude it is so killer. This piece is a keeper for sure. Thank you. It's on display right next to my BK bone carving.

-Gman

The canoe prow is gonna be very cool JP...it does look like it will take a while! Is this
one for your back yard paradise or will it be shipped off to a home far away?
Always did your stuff...we might have come from the same island in a prior life.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 5:27 AM

We need to take up a collection and get JohnnyP a generator and a wireless computer set-up so we can get regular updates. JP - wassup man? I know you're carving, I was watching you on my Federal satellite people tracker (like the one in MIB). You're starvin' us. Tree's down on the wires? Snow? Volcanic eruption? Tsunami? C'mon, let us see!!!

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 3:32 PM

??? bulc, elidocorc, noprat......

hey GMan....since I'm in a neighboring state...mebbe I'll have to scoot over and
see what Johnny's up to...or else we could threaten a hunger strike!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jun 15, 2006 7:47 PM

No doubt....

J

G, you've been real patient.

Conga, you don't have to go on a hunger strike.

Here is an update on club destined for a fellow TCer. The hard part is done, now just clean up, sanding and detail, and teeth lashing. I apologize for this taking so long.

I haven't been carving much recently because I've been job hunting and if things go right that may end real soon. I'm looking forward to carving some palm.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-06-18 05:50 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 17, 2006 5:00 AM

Nice job Johnny! Who wouldn't be happy with that? I can't wait to see it all laced up. Good stuff!

looking great, johnny! you can't hurry beautiful art. good luck on the job hunt and move.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-06-17 10:55 ]

J

After several stressful and busy weeks I finally released some nervous energy. I picked up a saw and started in on one of those logs I got a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to pick up a saw in while and it felt good. Mrs. JohnnyP wanted a marlin so I tried to make one for her. I still have to carve the sail, or dorsal fin and have to fix the tail where I messed up the alignment.

Here are some pictures of the rough out. I know it is not exactly tiki, but would fit in most tiki bars.

I haven't had time to post too much lately but I do stop in and check on things almost everyday. Thanks to everybody who has posted and makes this site interesting. Keep up the great work.

Happy Fourth of July!

Thanks for looking

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 5:52 PM

Way to go JohnnyP! That is so cool...and Mrs. JohnnyP gets what she wants! I love the pose and the flow of the piece. Killer! Have you decided how to make the dorsal fin yet? Man that looks like a fun carve. I bet it was freaky cutting off all that wood? Post an update when you can. I wanna see more....

-Gman

C

Hey Johnny...very nice work on the big fishy....it's gonna be great when you're
finished. And...have we seen the big belly guy in the background behind the marlin?
It looks pretty cool and we wanna see more...how ya doin on that canoe prow?

B

sumthin's fishy goin on here,,err there! Cool fishey

J

Thanks guys,

Conga- The canoe prow has stalled out for a bit, but I plan on getting onto it soon. The big round belly guy is one of my first attempts at chainsaw carving, it was supposed to be a bear, but looks more like a racoon. I would have cut up for firewood a long time ago but it has a kinda obscene gesture that really annoys my sister-in-law, so I keep it around just for that.

John

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 6:24 AM

JP,
The marlin looks great. It should make you feel right at home in sunny FLA. Nice work my friend. Fingers still crossed for you guys.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 1:53 PM

Were you working today? We want a Marlin update!

Nice bear! :wink:

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-07-08 18:13 ]

B

Go Johnny go go, Go Johnny go go Johnny be good tonight! Johnny you are being good when ever you are carving Anything

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Jul 8, 2006 5:56 PM

Johnny, I know how much work that one was! Nicely done!

Mc

J

Gman- Here is the marlin update. After thinking for a bit, I decided to peg it on. The pictures show the dorsal fitted loosely with four dowels. I have to fine tune the gap between the dorsal and the main body yet. I had to cut off some of the dorsal I had left on the original log to make it work.

Benzart- It's hard to be good all the time, sometimes I have to misbehave, but my wife keeps me in line.

McTiki Thanks appreciate the comments.

Loki Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed. Things are progressing and we seem to have our plans a lot more solid now. Sorry we did not make to the east coast of Florida last time we were down.

And this is the start of a tarpon in it's very rough out phase. I am going to add all the fins and top part of tail with separately carved pieces.

Thanks for looking

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 9, 2006 10:29 AM

Nice! Nice!! Nice!!! You've really got a great one rolling there. That dorsal look fantastic. Ditto for the noprat! I can see the flowing movement in the piece already. Killer work man! Crank up that saw and get back on it man! Break time is over....

-Gman

TD

man does that look good. it looks pretty massive. i like it. keep it comming

JP,

Man, that marlin carving is a knock-out! Do you keep all of these or are you selling your work (it looks highly sell-able).

A-A

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 5:47 PM

I keep coming back here to look at your marlin. Can you bring this as a carry-on the next time you come to Florida? This would be the shitzz in my shark room!

-Gman

B

THis beats goin fishin Any Day. Post plenty of those fighting shots. lookin Great!

J

Thanks Gman- I appreciate the complements. But it was your shark you posted a long time ago that got me interested in carving fish. You gotta finish that one up.

AA. I've been keeping almost all of my stuff, I've given several away and have only sold a couple. I'd like to sell more, but the Michigan taste does not run this way. Small market for this kinda thing up here. But we may be moving sometime soon and I'll be having a Tiki art moving sale.

Benzart- Here are some more fish fighting pics. This is how we catch em up here.

Thanks again
JP

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 6:22 PM

JP,

Yeah, one day I'll finish the shark. The hard part is over, I just need to do a few small things. I'm glad you liked him enough to push you start making fish. I've done dozens of the buggers and they are always very fun and rewarding. As Benz would say, "You should be ten tons of proud" of your marlin. Way to go. I can't wait until you're local and we can start a chainsaw gang. Foshizzel!

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 22, 2006 7:25 AM

Are you carving this weekend? Maybe some work on the noprat?

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jul 22, 2006 3:18 PM

I've just read through this whole thread over (a long!) breakfast - for some reason the other time I tried to read it the images wouldn't load. It's great seeing the progression in these big threads. I'm particularly impresssed with your maripi, which I know from personal experience are very challenging pieces to carve. I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

B

WOW Liikit that sucker Jump! Now I see why you aren't carving much, spending too many dayz fishing instead of carving. My wife said she was going to leave me if I went fishing today,, I'm sure gonna miss her ! Never happen!
JP the Marlin looks great jumping out of the grass like that.

J

Benz- We do have to use our imagination up here to have the fun you do down there.

G- No carving this weekend. :( Went away Sat for an overnight family gathering, then came back to fix the brakes on the car and that took way longer than it should have.

Paipo- Thank you for the kind words. It means a lot coming from a talented member from New Zealand.

Check out this link. Gotta be careful around these fish.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/07/24/bermuda.fisherman.ap/index.html

JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2006-07-24 11:21 ]

J

I finally finished a club. Its been a long time in coming. This one is for a fellow TCer if he remembers. Gman- I didn't forget how to post, but am glad I procrastinated- the new image upload ability on TC is great and saves a lot of time on the upload for dial-up.

Now for the pictures. The club is made from a piece of black walnut. It is wonderful stuff to carve.

Thanks for looking.

JP

i sure didn't forget, and i really hope that's the one for me. great work johnny!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 5:01 PM

Sorry Bullet, that one is for Gman, - maybe you are next on the list :D

JohnnyP - you really out did yourself on that one. Wow, that is so wild. Any chance you could give us some more shots of the small detail work? I'm smiling - that is fantastic!!!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-08-02 17:59 ]

B

Yo Johnny boy, That has to be your best yet and GMAN Gets it?? I'd Keep it and tell him to go make hizzown :wink:..Naw don't do that, I'd hate to see him cry. 20 staples in the head and not a one shed tear, but you could make him bawl..
Thats really sweet. I'm with Gman, need more close ups..

Fantastico!! The teeth are very ominous.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 7:02 PM

Sweet, my club is finally finished, Thanks JP :D

That is unreal! Did we ever discuss the shipping costs?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2006 4:03 PM

Man oh man, I'm back drooling over this club. That is one hell of a feat using a two-dollar coping saw! How did you like the Foredom? It looks like it might have helped you out a little? What beautiful wood. The walnut in the club you made for me is so smooth and soft. What a geat choice for this piece. Bullet is one lucky dude.

J

Thanks guys appreciate the comments. Since everybody claimed it, I guess I have to cut it into sections and send everybody a piece, except Gman because Benzart told me I shouldn't. The pieces might fit into a regular sized envelope.

I guess I could make a couple more of these if there is interest.

Gman- The new Foredom is great-worth every penny, wished I would have done it sooner. It is amazing how smooth it runs. It can plow through wood that a Dremel would just stop in. The next tool to drool over is....

JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 11:52 AM

A SCROLL SAW!!! :D

wow, i'm really glad i've got dibs on this one!

B
Bete posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 2:11 PM

Great work on that club Johnny P.

Johnny P- Great piece, Man! The detail is fine...

TD

man is that club wicked. im sure you could fend off the predators with that bahemoth. good job. really like the teeth.

B

I'm with Gman, your next tool has to be a scroll saw. Start looking in the classified section of the news papers. You can usually find them around$50. Get one. Now

B
Bete posted on Wed, Aug 9, 2006 4:04 PM

JohnnyP, I went back a few pages to catch up on your forum and saw the pictures of you pretending to catch that wooden sailfish you made, I started laughing, that is so priceless Dude, you are THE wildman Dude!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies