Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 17, 2006 5:48 PM

Diggin' the bullroarer - I was checking out some Maori ones in a book of instruments a week or two back with thought of doing one. I don't think they'd go too well in stone though! I love the red/black/white PNG colour combo you've used. You seem to have a good eye for doing more unusual and offbeat objects.

yer killin' me with this stuff...the dagger is wonderful...looks like something that's
been around a long time and has a lot of stories.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 6:14 AM

JP,

That stuff rocks! Bring that lure down here and we'll see how it stands up to a marlin - old man and the sea style!

The roarer is nutz, I want one! Does it sound like Crocodile Dundee's? If so it's a must have for Club Greg. Bring it with you next time you come by so we can mess around with it.

That dagger is choice; same style as your previous piece? Man I hope Kings gets it, it would really look great in his collection. Thanks for sharing.

Keep up the killer worx!

-Gman

B

Yeah, Most Excellent stuff there. The Bone knife is Really Excellent, very different looking. Did you get all the barbecue sauce off it after/before you carved It??
When I was a kid I used to make those Bull roarers, thay were Soo cool and different sizes make different sounds too. I don't remember doing any fancy carving on mine though.

J

Hi,

Benzart, somehow I find it hard to believe that you used to make something that didn't have any fancy carving all over it.

Paipo, It's not that I have an eye for unusual objects, I just try different things to push me and learn new things. Maybe I'll give stone a shot.

Here is the start of the first tiki I've done in a while. Gman has prompted me to do a Maori, so I decided to do so. It will be a tekoteko loosely interpreted from an image found on the net. Just about 4 feet tall. So far it is just about an hour and a half rough cut block in with a chainsaw. It is going to have to dry a bit before I go any further. I think this one will take a while. As Congatiki says, hopefully it will be done before the snow falls.

Front

Side

Other side

I also blocked out a Hawaiian bowl/platter that will be supported buy figures on either end. I'll try to get pics later today.

Thanks
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-09-24 11:14 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 12:59 PM

Aint that some Sh*$!! JohnnyP RULES!

No doubt this will be an excellent one to watch develop. Off to a great start!

L
Loki posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 3:12 PM

JP,
Here is the song bullroarer from Midnight Oil...man i still love these guys...you can hear the roarer in the begining of the song...

i made a bullroarer when i was 16 because of that band...wish i still had it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEsHIwZdrDA

the tekoteko is just sweet...as usual JP...still crossing fingers for you to get down here in sunny FL....

that is one crazy chunk o wood....gonna be looking forward to every post on this one...
don't keep us waiting too long!

J

Gman- well you started it with all your Maori art.

Thanks Loki, Congatiki, and Surfintiki for commenting. Yes it is a crazy piece of wood. I just hope I don't mess it up.

Loki that was exactly the song I remember. This bullroarer sounds almost exactly like that. Thanks for the link.

JP

J

Duplicate post- sorry. darn sticky enter key.

JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2006-09-26 10:58 ]

B

JP, It seems thaat you are on a Roll and with everyone else doing great stuff I better get in gear and Do Something. Nice work on the tekoteko. Nice deep cuts and excellent form. You done these before???

M

JP, Awesome rough cut of a Teko! Finish him up ! Let's see it.

Mahalo

McTiki

J

On 2006-09-25 18:36, Benzart wrote:
You done these before???

Nope. First one. I think I am in over my head though.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 7:19 AM

Not a chance dude....you're a STAR!

you're blowing up, johnny! keep up the great work. is there anything you can't make?

B
Bete posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 4:27 PM

JohnnyP, that silver king is so sweet looking Dude, it looks great...it's the "one that didn't get away".

B
Bete posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 4:35 PM

Dude that's so totally cool you made a bull-roar, I always wanted one too and looked for them for quite a few years until I finally found one, it is now hanging on my wall. I always wanted one ever since I saw the movie "Excorcist 2" (ha). JohnnyP, like I always say "YOU ARE A WILDMAN!" You are too funny in that picture slinging the bull-roar around. Is that in your yard? Your neighbors must think you are a wildman too.

B
Bete posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 4:36 PM

Bone dagger turned out really sweet. Good luck with your current project too Dude.

hey jp, i got the bone dagger and it's a beauty. i think it looks so much better than the pics can show. outstanding work. mahaloz braddah.

B

The best way to improve your carving skills, is to jump into a carving that is Over your head and then finishing it! Once it is done you realize you are at a different level and have to reach Higher to do the next one. Keep up the good work.

Im sure youll do this proud... Great start. I love a carving that has as much material removed as there is retained. Goes from mere carving to 'sculpting' in my opinion. Keep us posted on this!! TTT

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 30, 2006 8:16 AM

Enough drying already....it's time....time to bust a move on that bad-boy and show us some pics. This is going to be one epic adventure! This is one of the most ambitious projects I have seen posted here. I must admit, this one has me fully charged! Really, I'm freaking out!

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 8:06 AM

Wellllllll???????!!!!!!

J

OK Gman, I'll show you what I've working on. This is something I've tried twice already and scrapped both of the first two attempts. I tried to make them out of a tree crotch but I could not get the proportions right, so this time I took a slab out of a large ash log, roughed it with a saw, then started carving over the last week. It is called a pighammer from Vanuatu. They were used to kill pigs on special occasions.

Being made from ash it is massively heavy, I tried to be as close as I could to the original in the picture (Oceanic Art- Meyer) and it is remarkably balanced. The original craftsmen were masters at their trade.

other side

Handle side face

Hammer side face

Close up of one side

There is a quarter in some of the pics you can use to scale it but it is just under 3 ft from the end of the handle to the farthest tip.

Thanks for looking

JP

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 5:31 PM

Nice work! That's a pretty fearsome weapon...now you need to go an expedition with GMAN to christen it in the proper manner! The faces look great - they're very similar to those in the slit drum thread in General Tiki.

J

I would be honored to have Gman christen it on one of his wild boar hunting trips.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 5:55 PM

Ah yes, the old pighammer. I got one of those for my 3rd birthday, just before my first hammer hog hunt. I remember that day well...my first bludgeoned swine. Oh the memories!

That is one cool club Johnny, and very beautifully carved and finished. You do great work that always looks nicely aged. If you think it would survive deployment, I could get you in position to try it out. I can't promise Mrs. JohnnyP that you would make it out in one piece, but I doubt you would get fully killed - maybe somewhat killed or sliced and diced. But it's ok, we keep tourniquets, dental floss (for tieing off arteries), and stitching gear in our day-packs. I think you might make it out.

I imagine you should just hang it on the wall for now, but maybe, when you relocate, we can give it a go :D

PIGHAMMER!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-08 18:00 ]

what a cool piece Johnny, you sure tackle some interesting and difficult projects. I
would sure hate to get whacked by something like that. I can just imagine the fun that
you and GMan would have hunting bacon. Nice.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 10:56 PM

Incidentally, I think PIGHAMMER would make a pretty cool band name....

How brutally wonderful! :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 6:47 AM

I agree, PIGHAMMER would make a wikkid name for a metal band. I'm taking it and will try to make a few tracks with Arty, Barnyard, and the other boys in the pit.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-09 07:02 ]

B

Wow, go away for a couple days and Look what I miss. Beautiful Pighammer there JP. I think You should take it to the pig hunting party and christen it yourself. it Already has a ton of mana, just think how heavy it would be when properly christened!
Very well doneeven down to the Noose, I Love it.

Cool Club- That turned out really nice!

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 3:06 PM

BK is so far ahead with all the weapons that he has made and then you started making weapons. I looked throught that whole Meyer book to even think about making something that has never been done around these parts nor probably heard of, and then, I see its in the heading, Pig Club. Damn, you got me. I probably would have never got around to makingh one. Nice club JP.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 3:40 PM

Very authentic looking art there JP! (I bet it's quite functional too!)

Mahalo

McTiki

J

Thnaks guys I really appreciate the postive comments. This one was a lot of fun. After Gman killed a wild boar with his pocket knife I wanted to make one of these. It was a lot of fun to make, and feels pretty good swinging around.

Gman- I'll take you up on the offer to go hunting and hopefully we'll feast when we're done.

Pighammer sounds like a cool heavy metal band name. I can see it now. Tonight only Sold Out! PIGHAMMER. Rock on errr, Squeal on!!

JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 4:36 AM

JohnnyP,

Yes, we will hunt down the noble beast and feast like kings! It will be the type of hunt that legends are made from (or big ER bills!).

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-13 08:01 ]

C

Cool stuff JohnnyP thanks for your message!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2006-10-13 18:51 ]

beautiful work, johnny!

B

Save be a slab of ribs!

Nice Hammer! "Please hammuh don't hurt em"--MC Hammer

With all the Polynesian clubs that have been expertly done it's great to see a Melanesian club in this forum. Sweet. SUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEE!

ST

B
Bete posted on Mon, Oct 16, 2006 5:54 AM

Nice work JohnnyP!

J

Again thank you for the comments. This was a fun piece to make.

Here is a little update on the tekoteko. It's dry enough to sand now. I hope to get a little done every week.

JP

B

JP, This guy is going to be just down right Awesome. He has curves and movement everywhere you look. Don't be slowin' down on us now, we Need more of this.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 2:01 PM

Subbout time man! I thought maybe you killed him and just didn't want us to know! He is looking proud isn't he? I love it! JohnnyP for President!

PIGHAMMER!

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-18 14:26 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 2:10 PM

He's got a cool Hepworth kinda sculptural thang goin' on. I love the grain pattern on the head!

B
Bete posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 3:49 PM

Looking very, very, very cool JohnnyP!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies