Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

Nice design...I like it. What will the hooks be made out of? They would look nice in a colored frosted glass, and then the clear glass for the cup portion. I would definitely buy some. :)

F

Wow JohnnyP, that looks terrific! Was it hard to get all the hooks to look the same?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 7:10 AM

Johnny,

I think you have a winner on your hands. Hooks, boar's teeth, all sorts of things to be done here. I likee!

-G

ST

That's super cool JP. I think it would have to have its very own drink recipe.

B

Top shelf JP.
Martini drinkers will love.

Benjamin.

J

VampressRN- I am going to make several of these. All will be out of wood but with different style hooks. I may make a couple with bone or BC jade hook points lashed on. Frosted glass would be neat, but I have a lot to learn about glass.

Finkdaddy, I cut the first hook out, then traced it to cut the others, but they are not all the same, each has it's own personality (and mistakes).

Gman- Boars teeth would be great, are you going to part with some? I'll send you a glass.

Surf Tiki- It's own recipe, Hmmm. I'll think I'll have to spend next weekend experimenting in the kitchen- sounds like fun.

Thanks Travelingjones and Benella I appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

Here is a quick update, still a bit more sanding and a little more fine tuning, then comes the stain and lashing together.

I have to figure out how to mass produce these, or at least make small batches easier to make.

Thanks for looking
JP

ST

I have to figure out how to mass produce these, or at least make small batches easier to make.

Thanks for looking
JP

Easy...team up with Kirby. He seems to be on some sort of resin molding bender. If I remember Helz has been doing some of that recently also.

You should figure out how to work some sharks teeth into it. It would force you to keep your wits about you while drinking. "No really hun, I didn't get in a fight. My stupid martini glass bit me."

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 6:11 PM

Shark Bite!

H

Forever the innovator--JP-That ting is cooool! A martini you could really get hooked on. :lol: Oh I just kill me sometimes!

On 2007-04-07 13:50, JohnnyP wrote:
Do you think this is a sell-able idea?

They look great JP & Im sure they would be popular among the tiki-set. My main observation/worry/query would be, how well do they perform? ie: are they comfortable to hold/drink from? Function is as important as form.

Definately in idea worth devoloping though; Id buy a set!

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 11:49 PM

Awesome and original idea/design JP and very marketable. One of those ideas that is so good, you wonder why no-one has done it before.
Like you said the next step will be figuring out the best way to make more than one. I think this concept would look great in ceramic, ie a fully-fledged mug/mini bowl. You could then fuse all the components together, and it would also be easier to clean and more durable. The main glass/bowl part could have some sort of surface decoration in keeping with the sea/fishing theme.

C

Great design for sure! I like it a lot in wood , but ceramic sounds perfect for mas production, keep rocking!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 4:29 PM

Johnny,

Give Fink an ding. Maybe the two of you can find a way to cast it in pieces and then assemble them? I think carving on seriously sick set of hooks is the way to go and then reproduce them. I also like the idea of making the cup and having surface designs on it - like fish :D

-G

Great Idea Jonny!!!

J

Here is the glass all finished up. I will be putting this in the Marketplace section to take orders to carve a few wooden hook glasses, everyone and original. Possible resin cast hook bottom glasses coming in the future with substantial help from a fellow TCer.

This was a fun little project. This weekends task.... come up with a drink recipe to go with it.

How do you think this would work in ceramic? I'd need some help with that.

Thanks for the positive comments.

JP

way cool design you got goin on there! I love it!

B

Super top classe man.
J'adore.
In ceramic: I say YYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

B

JP, That looks Mighty Fine with the drink in it. Very Well Done!
Another fine piece by JP.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2007 12:42 PM

:D

T

Yo JP!

Very original and inspiring, again! GMAN says a shark bite in there for a drink - that sounded real good to me too. If you make more of these gems I'll buy some!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2007 12:51 PM

Shark Bite or a "Chummer"

-G

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 7:16 PM

That glass is great, really sweet design

That's COOL! Nice Work!

Ditto. Very original. Well done.

Tama :)

nice Johnny...makes me thirsty. Looks like a winner of a design if you can produce
mass quantities.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 9:28 AM

John..nice job on the glass holder. Where do you come up with the ideas???

Nice painting by the way Octopussy...

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 8:34 PM

You dead?

T

No I'm alive in the Daily Double !!! [derby fever]

J

Hi, its been a while since I've posted, but I check in every day. I've been working a few projects. Here are two more PNG horns in the works and t slit gongs. They are all hollowed out and ready for the surface decoration carving.

Thanks for looking

JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 5:13 PM

Nice shot JohnnyP! I see you got the required toez in the ground shot. Solid!

So, another croc horn aye? How will the drums be decorated?

I think the Pighammer got lost in the mail. I check everyday, but no hammer. Should I go inquire at the Post Office? Glad to see you back on the boards.

-Gman

welcome back...go Johnny Go!!!

:music: One of these kids is doing his own thing... :music: :)

More tasty primitive art from Johnny P! Great being outside these days isn't it! I find my production doubles out of doors.

Looks like Ash on the bottom couple pieces?

Good luck!!

Slit drums. Let me know if they work and what kind of wood. Nice small ash?

H

get it on, bang a gong, get it on!

I'm really wanting to carve a gong one day--skillz providing. Your last on was off tha hook! Will you show us all how you hollow the sucka out? Inquiring minds want to know!

J

Yep all these pieces are ash. Slit gongs, they work, and they are loud. They are a lot of fun to play. I just wish I knew how, I just make a lot of noise.

Here are some progress shots from today.

Pig hammer and croc horn all marked out.

There is a quarter on the hammer part of the pig hammer for scale.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 3:19 PM

Top chops Johnny! You gotta respect a man who makes beautiful musical instruments...and instruments of death! You did a bunch today; take the rest of the night off and relax!

-G

Johnny...you are a master of this kinda stuff. I was inspired to check out the goodies on
your webpage...all that PNG stuff...the gope board...spirit carvings...etc...are all great.
Inspiring creations from across the pond!

B

It's about time you got more carvings going. Really looking Great JP, Can't wait to see'um done.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 5:25 PM

JP,

Howzitt? Any more progress on my croc horn? He looks like a bad mutha. I can't wait to see the next update.....WELL where izzit?

J

Here is a small update on these two projects. Doesn't look like much of a change, but there is a couple hours into these.

B

Wow, can't wait to see the next steps, looks cool.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 5:22 AM

Johnny,

Where were you hiding this update? Looking good! That hog hammer is looking stout! It looks much more robust than your first one. You bulking up to swing this sucka? The croc is looking great as always. It's tought to see what is going on with it in the pic, but I imagine you are refining the shape and cutting in the detail? Maybe you could post a few shots taken outside with some shaddowing from the sun so we can se betta? Thanks for the update Hamma!

-G

B

And the Beat goes ON! Loving this.

J

Gman, I snuck it in when you were not looking.

Thanks Ben and Ben

Here is this weekend's update on the hammer.

C

Lookin' good Johnny P(ighammer). Nice to see that you got a little work in too this
weekend.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 5:17 PM

Nice JP! Can you tell me a bit about what the faces are on the hammer? What do they represent? I've done some searches on the hammers and found quite a few pics, but nothing discussing why some have those faces and others are smooth. Do you have the answer? What are those faces???

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 7:32 PM

Is this one of yours? :wink:
Nice progress shots JP. I can already see how you've improved the detail and depth on the faces from the last one you made. I have just recently come to realise how good remaking pieces can be for improving all aspects of carving.
What happened to all those roughed out slit gongs you posted a while back?

T

On 2007-05-15 15:38, JohnnyP wrote:
Hi, its been a while since I've posted, but I check in every day. I've been working a few projects. Here are two more PNG horns in the works and t slit gongs. They are all hollowed out and ready for the surface decoration carving.

Thanks for looking

JP

Yer drivin' me nuts with the slot crocs. Man is that cool! I'm gonna try to make another slot unit soon but this time with a 3/4 inch or less slot! Ugh.

The club's a beaut, too! Very nice. What's the wood? First class stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies