Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

B

Well,, since you Already HAVE them on the trailer, don't stop there, Bring'um on down, we'll show 'ya what summer's Really Like and I have Plenty space for logs now! :P

J

Hey, here are a few updates on some on going projects.

Somebody asked for close ups of the figures on the ends of the drum.

Various stuff.

I made a uke similar to Tahitiki's- To see a spectacular one-see his thread, page 8.

The barn is on the family property, I am fortunate to have access to anytime. Benzart, I'll bring the logs down if you help me carve them. :)

Thanks again. There has been a lot of top notch carvings being posted. Keep up the great work.

• JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2008-08-25 16:35 ]

A lot of top notch carving being posted HERE!! When its cold up there, its nice down here - think about that one. Where to start? The drum, the Marq, the PNG, the uke... holy crap focus will ya! They're all looking great. Keep it up.

Man! You've been busy!

Great stuff Johnny, I knew you musta had a lotta things going on!
I really love your man/bird figure, the bird is indeed the word.
It's all great and really inspiring, you pay much attention to detail.

Hot dang look at that flatbead of trees! I've gotta beg Buzzy for Mexican fan palm scraps. I'm soooo jelous! Great looking carvings as always bro. Whatcha thinkin stainwise?

Oh yeah. I almost forgot.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-25 19:03 ]

T

Hey JohnnyP I love all the new stuff you've got, how's the Uke sound?
Let me know.

J

Here are some higher resolution shots. Same as before just clearer.

Aloha, yes I have to focus, it is hard with so many going, I carve a bit on one, then a bit on the next and so on. My pole barn looks like TTT's box.

Hodad, ahhhh my eyes!!!

Tahitiki, The uke sounds like some Asian stringed instrument. Kinda cool sounding, surprising from a scrap piece of 2x8.

Thanks

J

Hey, I finally finished something!

Nice job Johnny!!! Looks great!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 30, 2008 5:18 PM

Nice job Boss. Pretty work there. I guess those big hands go with his big &^$#, aye? Give me the poop on that drum with the hourglass shape and the small opening? That's a pretty thing......

-G

B

Hey Johnny, These guys are finishing up great!. Bring the logs on down and I'll help you carve them, I figure that way you can teach me how to carve and we'll all have fun.C'Mon Down!

T

Hey Johnny, :o I see you made this guy a very well hung tiki. :) Wow is he a big fella. I guess he needs those big hands to go with his hanging horse &^$#. Very nice.

S

Nice, Love your work! Fantastic work as usual coming
out of your shop!

B

I simply love tha marq. Your work is killer work.

Benjamin.

J

Thanks guys

G- The drum is an hourglass drum from PNG. I have it hollowed out and smoothed on the outside. It is ready for surface decoration and carving the handle

Ben- I've got the truck loaded and I am on my way down for a lesson from you.

The marq was inspired by a picture Bigbrotiki posted of a London Trader Vic's tiki in the Trader Vic's Warehouse sale thread and called it a long schlong tiki so I can't claim design for this one.

Sven's picture

C

Johnny P, you rock the house!
I decided to dig through your thread for some of the early posts, and you
are Mr. PNG around here!
That "Korewori River figure" from a hundred years ago is nuts but the
picture is real tiny, can you post some of that stuff again?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 5, 2008 8:28 AM

Shall we start the canoe...right around late deer season?.........

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 6, 2008 4:58 PM

Bitchen carves Johnny!

J

Here is an update on the drum all marked up for detail carving.

Heath, Thanks a lot, it is fun isn't it?

Gman, Sounds good, but sharpen your saw, it is a big log.

Congatiki, is this the one?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 14, 2008 6:51 PM

Your drum is lookng sharp, Johnny! I can't wait to see more progress shotz of it and some close ups so we can whatcha got going on. How many projects DO you have going on right now? Iz it five, six, MORE?........

Yessir Johnny, he's the one. Actually I love all of your PNG stuff,
drums, gable figures, always fun to stop over here. Won't be too long
and we'll be working with that white stuff on the ground, hard to believe
that another summer has slipped away.

J

Carving is all done. Just have to pick a stain.

G- too many projects, but I am getting caught up. I haven't yet relented and started in on any of those big logs.

Conga, Summer is almost over :( It does go by way too fast.

H
Heath posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2008 6:23 PM

You're a madman!
You just put up a picture of the detail carving layout yesterday and today it's done...
Turned out really nice Johnny!

B

Unbelievable ! This piece is amazing, Johnny.

Benjamin.

T

LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Geee-orgeous!!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 6:29 PM

One of the very nicest things I've seen on here for a looong time. It takes some commitment to make something that amazing and your PNG pieces always look spot-on.
Can't wait to see it finished up - this one is begging for a really dirty ancient looking patina!

B

Johnny P. I've Got to say this piece is your BEST one Yet. Paipo said it right when nit takes a certain Commitment to start and then Finish a piece like this. You Know we Love you and that we have respect for you as a carver, buy KNOW this,,that RESPECT Grew by Leaps and Bounds with this piece and your finishing it. Many peeps just don't recognize the atrist skills those PNG sculptors have attained because most of the popular stuff is pretty basic and primitive. However there are Many works which are fully involved with deep, full, realistic detail that don't get around that much. Most wood carvers would never attempt those pieces and here you are doing them for breakfast, lunch and dinner with desert thrown in.
Most Excellent stuff sir!
Happy Happy HAPPY and HAPPIER!

B

Johnny P marches to the beat of his own drummer! :)
Post some close ups of the detail work on your drum sometime, it ya have any. They look great!

Bowana

I don't wanna work, I just wanna bang on Johnny's drum all day!
Super!

S

Out of sight Man fantastic work love the size the detail.
Great work as usual!

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 9:44 AM

Always a pleasure JP.

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 1:47 PM

Fantastic to see your pics
i love the drum and the great details
greetz
Akuae

J

Thanks all, appreciate the support.

Drum with stain, finally

Something for a bit of fun, A replica of a Hawaiian Tattoo Comb

with a bit of taro juice from the leaf on the handle. The entire length is about 5.5" It took a bit to figure out how to cut the long needles out of bone, but it is sharp.

Very cool Johnny! Is that ebony you went with? Love the tattoo tapper too!!

Spectacular drum Johnny. I love the figures on the ends and your detail
work is always top notch.
The tattoo thing is pretty cool too but I'm pretty ignorant of tattoo. You
sure come up with some interesting stuff, I think we should name you
Professor Johnny P, master of antiquities.

Crazy good!!

Johnny, top notch and authentic work as usual!

You always go the extra mile on your work and it shows.

Love the tattoo comb!

Who's the first victim?! :o

I've seen video of that in use... I'm sure I wouldn't have the stones to go through that.

Are those logs still drying for the canoe? Any progress?

Winter is on its wayyyyy.....

B

Hey Johnny, the stain makes it totally, it is beautiful.
The hawaiian tatoo comb is top shelf.

Benjamin.

S

Holy crap! Yes the dark stain on this WOW!

Outstanding piece of art you have created there!

Yeah That drum's pretty amazing but this one's still my fave!:wink:

Boing!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 11:44 AM

Mr.P.....howzitt? I'm back : ) Whatz happing in the frozen North?

-G

J

Thanks for the photos Hodad. I hope he is successfully warding off all the obnoxious tourists.

There is a lot of wonderful working going on in this forum, I've been really swamped at work and then at home getting ready for winter so not much carving time or even computer time. But since Gman is back I guess my "strike" is over.

Remember this guy?

I rushed it just to get it done. I was a crappy piece of wood full of splits, soft spots, old worm holes, and chippy on top of it. I thought since it will never come out how I wanted, I'd just simplify it and get it done. Maybe I'll do it over sometime. This was based off and loosely frankenstined from something I found online. I went back to find the orginal broken picture and I started him over 2 years ago.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2008 5:15 PM

Kool beans Johnny! I was wondering when you were gonna tinker with him. Good on you for finishing him off. I would like to see you try him again in some better wood and detail him to the 9s. How's the birdman? How's the BIG canoe? How's the hourglass drum? howizzit?

B

wow johnny great stuff

mind sharing how you hollowed out the drum?
some homemade long shank tools?
lazer beams?
trained termites?

S

Kick ass work on this drum as usual from you.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies