Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

On 2006-10-18 05:40, Benzart wrote:
JP, This guy is going to be just down right Awesome. He has curves and movement everywhere you look. Don't be slowin' down on us now, we Need more of this.

Tama sez: Ditto, hes coming to life alright. Great project! :)

J

It committed suicide.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 2:12 PM

ACK! What happened???!!! GLUE!!!!! MEDIC!!!!!!!!!!! Tiki Down!!!!! MEDIC!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-10-22 14:13 ]

B
Bete posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 2:29 PM

Oh, no, so sorry to hear that, what ya gonna do?

oops! sorry to see that Teko Teko lost his head, hope he wasn't upset that the Cards took the
first game of the series! Or is he a Cardinal fan and you punched him out with the pighammer?
You gonna try to fix him or what?

B

You can fix it. Just glue it first with super glue. Then after that sets. Drill a hole for a dowel thru his nesk into the body or head whichever is easier. Glue in a dowel then go the other way. Easy, fixed. We can fix him.

J

Gman-
I don't know what happened. I marked him up for a session with the saw and I guess he had enough. I left the room and when I came back he took a header right into the fireplace surround.

Conga- I thought he was a Tigers fan.

Bete- I'm not the first person to loose a carving because it fell over, thanks for the concern though.

Benzart- That is a great idea. I think we can save him. --- Nurse, drill please, now dowel rod, glue. Let's close him up. This patient might survive

Here is today's project. I really thought the jade piece that Tama was working on was really neat and it totally sidetracked me today. This is my version in maple. I don't know how the ancients ever did this in stone, wood with power tools was difficult enough. This is the first Hei Tiki I've done and they are a lot more complicated than they look. I found the same piece that inspired Tama's commission and that Paipo posted in the book Oceanic art, JP Meyer on page 553

Here is another shark tooth flesh knife I am working on. This one is going to be for sale.

Thanks for looking,

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 6:17 PM

JP,

I LOVE that hei-tiki. If you decide to part with him, contact me. Too bad about the big guy. I say fix him up with glue and dowel and finish him out. He's too cool to quit on. PIGHAMMER!

-G

It's a Picasso piece....!!!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 7:40 PM

Very nice JohnnyP, and glad to hear you can save the tiki you were working on too.

Kia ora JP. Bummer about the teko-teko, good luck with surgury...

The Matau/Hei-tiki is awesome! Looks like youve been making them all your life! I should know; not a day goes by without me poring over images of the old works...

Ka pai! Tama

B

JP, Lookin Good, Man Tama's right, you look like you have carved these guys your whole life and then some. You are one to watch.

J

Thanks guys-hope everybody had a great Halloween!

I am going to fix the Picasso piece tiki. I bought a dowel like Benzart suggested and will work on him this weekend. Last weekend was rainy and cold so decided to hibernate a bit.

Here is the update on the flesh knife. It is shaped and been through the first sanding. Time for detail work and clean up. This piece is still available. If nobody claims it I will post it in the marketplace when I am through.

Thanks for looking

John

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2006 5:14 PM

JP,

The knife is looking real nice. I like it. Do you have enough teeth for it?

I never got my artifact style hei-tiki....you must have mailed it to the wrong address :wink:

-Gman

J

On 2006-11-01 17:14, GMAN wrote:
JP,

I never got my artifact style hei-tiki....you must have mailed it to the wrong address :wink:

-Gman

It's at the right address. It is sitting right here :)

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2006 6:00 PM

Where? I don't see it.....

B

Hey John, howz that last knife coming along, haven't seen any updates here recently??

C

knife knife knife!!!!! It were looking great.... come on and finish it Please!....

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 6:32 PM

Johnny,

Thanks for the stones and the hei-tiki. I will use every one of the rocks and the carving is on my shelf next to my BenZart/Gecko pendant. Beautiful stuff man, thanks.

Have you installed the dowel in the tekoteko yet?

-Gman

J

Gman- Glad you recieved your package. TekoTeko is repaired and carving can re commence. Pics later
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 6:02 AM

:D Can't wait to see him!

-G

B
Bete posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 10:32 AM

That piece is looking cool JohnnyP!

J

Gman- I was going to work on the big fixed repaired tekoteko today but it rained so I worked on the knife.

Hey Benzart and Clarita, Here is an update on the flesh knife.

It has a little tekoteko on the front. Just need to finish sand, detail sand, stain and lash on the teeth. The flash hides a lot. It is still available.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 7:43 AM

Top-notch stuff there Johnny. The little guy riding the front there is a great touch. That should be wikkid once you get it laced up with the teeth. Some lucky TCer is gonna get one hell of a nasty club! Don't play with that one after you've been drinking.....

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 7:46 AM

PIGHAMMER!

Nice piece, Johnny. Very nice openwork and something that nobody (including me) carves that often.

H

Realy beautiful! I´m looking forward to see the next pictures.

C

Great piece!! I can't wait to see the teeth part...!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 2:41 PM

Looking COOL JohnnyP!

Almost there, I can't wait to see it complete! Nice job so far.

J

Clarita, Finkdaddy, Bete, and Haikai
Thank you, The club is stained and is drying. The next step is to lash on the teeth. Pictures in a day or two.

BK, the openwork is challenging. I wish more people here would do it. But thank you for your comments.

HumptyDumpty is back together. I roughed in the face and marked him up for the next session.

Here is the horn all finished up with stain. This is a lot of fun to have around, it makes a great "get out of bed" alarm for the kids.

Thanks for looking.

JP

B

Yo'Johnny! Nice 3 projects going at once. the flesh knife looks like another Awesome piec as does the horn. The Tekoteko looks like he survived the surgery well. I'm So glad he did because he is going to be one terrifying dude. Excellent work,,er Play?

Nice stuff Johnny, I have been waiting for updates on your Teko Teko, a pretty ambitious project.
Love the flesh knife too. Always great work from east of the lake.

B
Bete posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 4:04 PM

Nice, glad you got that cool tiki back together again.

Hi John.

The maripi/flesh knife is going to be great. Very nice openwork, not so easy in wood Id imagine..?

Croc-horn is a killer! PNG inspired?

And glad to see the big guy back in one piece! Looks like a tough character.

Tama :)

Johnny...

Some really great stuff going on at your place... your work has always had a real authentic feel to it. Love it!

Looking forward to the canoe project as it progresses over this winter... next spring and summer will be fun if this project takes off!

Keep up the great and diverse work!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 4:07 PM

Nice stuff Johnny! I'm glad you are working on the Tekoteko again. He doesn't look any worse for wear. I still say I want this one when you move down.

PIGHAMMER!

-Gman

J

Benzart- I have a lot more than three projects going at once. It is easy to start one, but hard to finish, so my garage has a bunch of starts.

Conga and Bete- Thanks for your support and comps

TTT the croc horn is PNG inspired. I think wood is a lot easier to carve than stone, you guys amaze me.

LS. I am looking forward to the canoe ( Operation Pighammer) project. I am going to carve a smaller one here in the next month or so to get the feel for the scope of the bigger challenge. Thanks for the complements, your thread is one I always watch.

Gman- He is back together, you can have him for "dinged and dented" sale price. Actually I'll make you another one, this guy is shafted (doweled), glued, and screwed. The next one will be a lot better.

Here is the flesh knife all done. It is going up in the market place section.

Thanks for looking

Amazing! The contrast in colors is terrific! Great work and great photography too! :)

T

SWEET!

Yeah - those photos really show the piece nicely. But that knife would show nicely under any circumstances probably. The finish is great - I like dark woods. Marketplace, huh? Hmmm.

Congrats on the repair too - looks like he's gonna make it!

Can you post an MP3 of the sound that the horn makes? Now that there is a tool I could use around the house in the early morning hours, too!

Great stuff - and varied. Keep it up JP - !!

C

Really great!! nice dark tone!

Very nice piece, JP. It really turned out great.

great work, johnny! the croc horn looks ancient! i wish i could hear it. the new knife is another outstanding weapon.

B
Bete posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 7:10 AM

Looks awesome!

B

Did I already say "Fantastic" More than a hundred times? Just plain fantastic..JP, I can't believe the stuff you are doing,just fantastic.

J

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

I'd like to record the horn and put a sample here, but I don't know to do that. Any suggestions.

It sounds like a loud shell horn or a fog horn.

I decided to make a couple more. Benzart, stop me. I've started too many projects. My goal is have these complete by Thanksgiving dinner. We are having family over, and our kids can "entertain" the guests with them. Mrs JohnnyP and I each had one out side and one of our distant neighbor (1/4 mile) shouted back "Stop it!" All three have different tones. It will be interesting to hear how they all sound together.

This is a cannibal fork, loosely interpreted from one from Fiji. I just need to put some finish on it. We will use this to serve the turkey. It is 13 inches long.

I'm thinking of changing my name from JohnnyP to Pighammer. What do you think?

Thanks for looking.

JP

B

NO Way, I think you should start about 78 more then you would be up with Tama, then you could just finish them when you felt like it.
Lookin Good.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 5:27 PM

That finished piece is spectacuar man!

On the cannibal fork, how did you carve out between the tines?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies