Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

Hey Pighammer....
nice work...I have always really dug those cannibal forks...and always knew that you would
eventually get around to doing one. It does look like it takes a great deal of effort...
all of your latest efforts are very cool.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 1:52 PM

Great stuff PIGHAMMER! The horns are sweet! Every home needs at least 3 or 4. That fork looks tough. Are you really gonna use it to carve the bird? Where are the pics of the Tekoteko?

J

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here is an update on the horns. They can blow and sound pretty good. Can anybody tell me how to post the sounds? I can record, but need help with the posting part.

Some bugs crawled through the wood on the little one, I had to superglue the left behind bug dust. I hope it holds solid.

Benzart- I think I do have 78 projects started, but I don't want to count.

Today is my last day of my first full year as a TCer. Thank you all for your support!!!! I've made a lot of great friends here.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-11-22 17:15 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 5:14 PM

PIGHAMMER,

Try sending a PM to Helz, he seems pretty slick with the computer stuff. I bet he can get a link up to your sounds. Hopefully he can find a place to host it.

As for your first year, we are glad you are here too.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-11-22 17:23 ]

Jeez, JP it's only been a year? You've been cranking out some really incredible work!! Keep it up and thanks for all of the contributions and eye candy!!! The horn is really cool. I can't help you out with the sound, but can't wait to hear it.

A-A

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 5:25 PM

Email 'em to me, pounamu at gmail.com , and I'll host them on my site. I'd love to hear these.

Happy Anniversary JP!
Here's to many more. :drink:
Good luck on everything, all 78 of them!!!

Buzzy

Happy 1st TC birthday JP!

*Only 78 things on the go?? You'd better get working!haha

Good on you Paip' - cant wait to hear the horns.

Tama :)

J

Happy Thanksgiving.

JP

:lol: Classic! Probably the first maripi or brain-fork to be used in a while :lol:

Hows the action with the cutter?

Happy Thanksgiving! Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 12:22 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about! At least one person around here is making something functional....

Gobble gobble,

-G

too Funny Pighammer, looks like the fork is working well!

B
Bete posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 4:06 PM

JohnnyP, you are the wildman! Cool pictures (per usual)!

Pighammer! Great pics, and the turkey looks yummy too. I wonder how turkey fat effects the finish on a cannibal fork?

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-11-25 17:35 ]

B

I'll Figure this out tomorrow I hope. happy Day after t-giving.

J

Hope everybody had a great holiday! Vacation is over folks get back to carving and posting. It has been a few slow days around here.

I finished the horns right before Thanksgiving.

And here is the next projects starting. The long log is going to be a Vanuatu Slit Gong just under 8 feet and the slab of wood is Pighammer part Duex.

JP

the horns are great Johnny, I assume they are hollowed out, duh? Are you using a
hook knife for the detail? very nice.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 4:48 PM

Nice nice nice! I'm pretty excited about the slit gong. Who's getting the second PIGHAMMER - not some fishy fellow in Florida is it?!?
I'm still keen to host those sound files for you so we can hear the horns - send 'em in to me!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 27, 2006 7:15 AM

JohnnyP - always a busy man! An 8' slit drum aye? Croc-style or ancestral figure-style? Kool! Your musical instruments are outrageous! I was thinking that log was gonna be a mini canoe.....a mock-up so we know what we are working toward. I'll settle for a big slit drum. Have you and Piapo been able to get the sounds hosted and posted? I wants to hears 'em!

Hey Paipo - I resemble that remark! But really, I don't know who PIGHAMMER II is for. Maybe he wants to carry a back-up club when I take him into the hog swamp? Maybe I leave him in there and I keep both clubs........ :evil:

-Gman

Johnny P, the horns are very cool!

Amy

B
Bete posted on Tue, Nov 28, 2006 4:37 PM

The horns turned out nice.

H

On 2006-11-26 14:45, JohnnyP wrote:
And here is the next projects starting. The long log is going to be a Vanuatu Slit Gong just under 8 feet and the slab of wood is Pighammer part Duex.

Cool!! I love a good slit gong. :wink:

Ahhhh, the log harvest. I miss those days. I've got way too many right now, and with a foot of snow on the way log harvesting will be tough.
60° to 30° in 12 hours... then a foot of snow. But you already know the joys of Midwest weather. :wink:

Nice stuff... now get back to work!

J

Conga- No I didn't use the hook knife for the detail. It was a combination of Flexcuts and Foredome.

Gman- The Prototype outrigger canoe is close to being started, this slit gong will be an ancestor figure standing upright.

Paipo- This slit gong has me pretty excited to. The second Pighammer is for me. Gman is getting the first as soon as I can part with it. I think I better part with it soon, or he will come an get it. I should be afraid of a guy who uses a chainsaw for a hobby, shoots large caliber cannon, and kills wild boar with a little itty bitty knife- On second thought he doesn't need a Pighammer.

Thank you Queen Kamehameha, Bete, and Hakalugi :). I appreciate the support.

Lake- Hope you weathered the storm. Mostly rain here so far, we've been lucky to miss the worst that has hit the rest of the northern parts of the country.

Hewey- I noticed you asked a question a while ago that I didn't answer. I carved the inside of the cannibal fork by cutting a cross shape down the tine by making two cuts 90 cuts as deep as the tines. Then I drilled out the core following the intersection of the two cuts. To round the tines I used sandpaper and a lot of patience. Hope that made sense. Finkdaddy, the turkey fat only left a little patina on the fork that adds to the character.

Remember this piece. I finally got motivated to start working on it again now that the weather is rainy and cold outside. Here is little update. I'll be working on this a little every night for a while.

It looks like I am going to be able to get two Pighammers out of the slab. Happy Happy.

Thanks for looking,

JohnnyPighammer.

Nice...your New Guinea work is superb. The most authentic looking from any carver I've seen here..

B

Ditto what BK said. Glad to see you pick up that piece again. More pighammers, Yippee

C

Good to see you back on the prow johnny. After reviewing your whole thread I gotta agree with the
Basement dweller, you are the man for the PNG stuff. It looks like you took a little cruise along
the Sepik and grabbed a little something from all the villages. Great attention to detail!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 6:48 PM

HAMMER TIME!

B

WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Can't wait to see more.

Ben

Awesome!
I missed the intro to this Croc. Looks like a goodie!

Im another who's waiting to hear the haunting tones...

Watch out Piggies - Here's Johnny! And he's got a hammer in each hand... (better get those two separated; they look a little... um, cosy...)

Nice work. T3

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:24 AM

JohnnyP rules! 2x Pighammers in one slab...I hope you get them both out. I do NEED the original though. If I do HAVE to come and "get" it from you, it won't be until spring. My surgical implants and other ruined joints won't let me play in the cold anymore....

I was wondering if that croc hot hit the fire pit :) I'm glad he is still on the bench. Great stuff from you Johnny, kep it up!

-Gman

J

There is a lot of great stuff being posted recently. Keep up the good work.

Benzart, BK and Conga- Thanks I appreciate the complement coming from you guys. Conga, I'd love to take a cruise deep into the heart of New Guinea, it would be hard to get me to leave, and I'd need a big boat to hold all the carvings I'd need to buy. I have to settle on any book I can get my hands on.

Gman and Tama- No the croc canoe prow was not firewood, just too many other things to work on, I only get a couple hours a week to carve so this one waited awhile. Tama, I separated the two piggie hammers so they didn't have too much fun.

Thank you Benella.

Hammer Time continues.

Here is the full size prototype of the Vanuatu Slit Gong. I am glad I did a prototype, as I learned a lot from this one.

Can you see it under the dusting of snow and sawdust. I think I am the first one to post snow pics this season. :) (I wasn't Congatiki was)

And inside to dry a bit.

Thanks for looking.

JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2006-12-04 08:13 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 4:53 AM

Excellent stuff JPigH! The figure-style gong is looking sweet. That will be top shelf no doubt! I'm also gad you got those hammers separated. That was freaking me out. It takes dedicated man to be out working the saw in the snow. We all know how dedicated you are to your art, so we are not really surprised. Thanks for posting pics.

-Gman

C

Alright Johnny, I can see another museum piece coming with the drum. Will be watching this one
closely to get some tips, I have a nice long narrow log that would make a nice drum, if i can do it.
And another thing, don't get that macho feeling about winter, I posted a snow pic seven hours
ahead of you! {I would insert smiley face if I knew how to do it.}

B

JP, Looking Great. This Slit drum is going to be KILLER! How do you know when the walls of the drum are thin enough?? Excellent!

J

On 2006-12-04 04:59, congatiki wrote:
I posted a snow pic seven hours
ahead of you! {I would insert smiley face if I knew how to do it. :) :) }

I stand corrected. Original post updated. You are a lot colder up there than we are, so I concede.

On 2006-12-04 09:49, JohnnyP wrote:

On 2006-12-04 04:59, congatiki wrote:
I posted a snow pic seven hours
ahead of you! {I would insert smiley face if I knew how to do it. :) :) }

I stand corrected. Original post updated. You are a lot colder up there than we are, so I concede.

Nice start already! I've never gotten around to doing a Vanuatu drum, but studied them for a long time after seeing them on a season of Survivor.

I've got you both beat... we got hammered by 14 inches on Friday... and while it may not be as cold as Conga, it was still 8° this morning... which is too fricken cold in my book. 60° one day, 14 inches of snow the next. I'm in the basement until at least April!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 4:20 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-07 04:20 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 4:23 AM

Hey Pighammer,

What's on tap for this weekend? Are you carving or harvesting?

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-12-09 18:06 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 4:40 AM

WE want JohnnyPighammer progress pictures.....

J

If you behave, maybe I'll post some tonight.

JP

J

Gman
Here is the drum picts I promised earlier. TC was down that night so I could't upload them and I've been out of town for a while and just got back. Hopefully more progress tomorrow with more detail on the head and face. It is 7'6" tall.

This is the prototype and I won't sand it smooth until it dries memory, I am on to the the non prototype drum now that will be the same size. I made a few small mistakes on this one that I hopefully won't make again.

Thanks for looking.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 4:49 PM

JohnnyPighammer,

This looks like he's gonna be a great one. If this one has "mistakes", I can't wait to see the other one! It's always geat to see the work you can do with your chainsaw. I love it. Saw Jockeys Rule!

I'll be watching for your update tomorrow!

-G

T

Really JP! That slot - I'm envious. Nice work - I can only hope some day.

Can you describe the "small mistakes" made on this piece, for my learning experience? It looks damn nice to me.

You lookin' at it with a macro lens? That is when the tease will get ya... it's like hangin drywall. I can do that. But tape and spack? It takes me literally a week a wall because I'm so anal and lookin at it with a microscope.

But please do describe what mistakes you've made - for my benefit if nothing else!

TG

me too...I wanna know where you screwed up. If you wanna gimme this one cuz it will be so
inferior to the "non prototype" I'll canoe over to see you!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 10:22 AM

Looking cool!

Aloha Johnny P! Helluva drum bro. (BTW, I'm beginning tio see why my girlfriend thinks the "P" stands for phallic.)

H

That slit gong rocks, JP. (as does all your stuff) Funny thing-a month or so ago I was doing a google image search for something? unrelated to slit gongs but ran across a pic of one, became fascinated and began scouring the web for images of slit gongs so now I have a nice inspiration folder fulla them suckas!
Keep up the goodness-I'll be checking back....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies