Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

B

If NOT, WHERE?

C

Bump...
??

B

OOT PMUB !

J

Hi,

Thanks for the bump!!!! I do appreciate it.

Its been a long time since I have updated, I've been a extreamly busy this summer and I can't believe how fast summer went by.

First an update on the lono all stained up and in his new home. He does want to be much closer to a WARM beach.

Then on to the drum I started with the lono. It has been drying in the garage and was to the point I could sand it to shape, next comes the detail carving. Next to it is a new roughed out slit gong, or garmut as they are called in New Guinea. This is a larger version of the one I made earlier. The ruler is 1 foot for scale. Both are poplar wood.

Pig Hammer makes a return.

Then comes a pair of Trader Vic style poles. They are 8 ft tall and are loosely based off the tall pole that stood guard outside the Bellevue Trader Vic's. Thanks to whoever took the photo and posted it here. The wood is cherry and what a delight to carve.

Thanks and happy carving!
JP

L

Happy to see you back at carving! Lot of pieces in progress, good thing! This pair of pole are promising... And the Lono look like cool behind the window!

J.

B

WOW, I'm with Laojia, excellent update of those new and finished stuff.
The pighammer will be another super perfect looking piece.

B.

S

Holly Crap those drawings on the logs are looking incredible are they all drums?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 17, 2009 8:33 AM

PIG HAMMER!

Johnny's back!

Wow, all kinds of goodies going on over at your place!

Love the Marquesan poles! You're going to have a blast carving those!

You always pick the worst time of the year to work on these big projects... let's hope Winter takes it easy on us this year!

K
Kino posted on Tue, Nov 17, 2009 10:33 AM

Nice stuff you have going on there Johnny.

I'm very interested in that 'slip gong' ?
Looks like it will sound cool and be real fun.
Can you explain how this works and how you are carving it ?
I really want to make one if its as cool as it looks.

Aloha Johnny!! Wow Brother those Marq Poles are looking Aweasome!!!!! How doe all of you carvers draw so nice and clean. Mine look like a kindergaurdener drew on it. Very Stoked for you you,ve another really SWEET one happening there,Aloha, Mooney

B

Oh Johnny, we Almost forgot who you were. Your lono turned out great and now you Really have a Plate full, 2 drums, 2 poles AND a Piggie Hammer? Does this mean you'll be around awhile?? :o :)
COOL!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 21, 2009 1:15 PM

wellllll?? Were are the pics from the fronzen tundra...I mean you workshop? :wink:

bring 'em on Johnny!

C

Very glad to see you around again, it was about time!
and with a lot going on too, I'm happy happy :)

J

Been too lazy to take some update photos. Besides I've spent a lot of time hollowing out the drums. A lot of work that really doesn't show any progress, but finally today I took some. Here is a couple updates on the slit gong and the three legged drum. Notice the carpet .... Carving inside is a lot easier than outside in this temp.

Gman the frozen tundra was 3 degrees this morning.

Thanks everybody for the compliments.

Seeks, only the slit gong and the three legged one are drums.

Lake, thanks for the comments. Winter is the only time I have to work on these, but this year I think I am going to get a heater for the pole barn.

Kino, Slit gongs do sound pretty nice for a piece of wood, they boom pretty loud. If you want to make one, send me a PM and I'll be gland to send you some tips.

Mooney, usually my markings for a tiki is usually a couple chalk marks.

Benz, I check in every day, and yes I'll be around for a long time.

Clarita, thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for looking,
Northerners Stay warm,
Southerners Enjoy the warmth.

B

Hey Johnny, he looks good in the warm weather inside the house. Heck, if Buzzy can do it we All can too right? His detail is starting to really get tight, can't wait to see them all in the living room!

L

On 2009-12-12 18:08, JohnnyP wrote:

KILLER CARVER!!!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 2:00 PM

word, that sheite is dope. mamma's gonna kick your arse for fuggin up that carpet, yo!

Way to go Johnny, nice to see you back and showin' the stuff. What kinda
wood are you chizzlin' on there?
Keep that PNG influence...you da man!

S

Cool cool, you da png man fo sure.

J

Merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from the Mai Kai Couple.

Have a wonderful day!

B

Whaaat the... it's only 51 degrees there, I thought you guys were in the COLD country! Love the X-mas tiki's

J

On 2009-12-27 06:17, Benzart wrote:
Whaaat the... it's only 51 degrees there, I thought you guys were in the COLD country! Love the X-mas tiki's

That is 51 degrees inside!!!!!!

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2009 1:43 AM

great work here
your carving rocks
mahalo

J

Hi, thanks for the props,

Conga, the wood is poplar and I like carving it, no wonder you carve so much of it, after carving ash and elm, this is wonderful.

Gman, I owed you some photos of the slit gong.

The latest update. All ready for the detail carving, and this is where it gets fun.

It is 68 inches from end to end and weighs over 100 pounds.

I think I am going to post this in Marketplace. If anybody from CA is interested I can get it to San Diego free of charge for shipping.

Happy New Year!!

• JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2009-12-31 14:01 ]

Nice work Johnny!

Crazy detail work, but it looks like you are handling it well!

Popular looks like it doesn't check too bad?

Best of luck as you continue!

B

Looks quite challenging, Can't wait to see the setail worked out on this one. 100 pounds?? I guess this isn't one for the Marching Bands??

J

It's been a coulple months. There has been a lot of nice carvings and orginal art posted here in the time I havn't posted. I have been watching though every day. Here is my update on a couple projects.

The slit drum I have been working on. Both male and female ends.

A PNG bow, arrows and arrow heads to follow

And finally a new carving, a orator's pulpit I just started

Great stuff Johnny. Always wanted to do an orator's chair,
couldn't get my hands on a big enough log. You have a great one
going, and the drum figures are wonderful.

For the number of projects you've got going and the detail involved, you're forgiven for the lapse of updates. :wink:

You and Conga have got the PNG down solid. I'm hoping to pull into a nearby third or fourth this summer. :)

B

Long Time waiting for this update but the pieces shown are outstanding.
Love the slit gong That is awesome.

Bennno

A
amate posted on Mon, Feb 22, 2010 3:54 PM

That drum is amazing. I'm thinking about doing one in the Vanuatu style. I haven't found any information on the dimensions of the cavity. Any advice? I'd like to be able to play it just to annoy one of my neighbors. :D I'm sure the stool will turn out awesome as well. Major talent happening here.

B

Johnny comes marching along again....!
Keep'um coming Johnny, I Love to see your work getting out so often!

S

Looking Good! Love the size here.

C

That slit drum is so great! love it, so what happen with it? and the new one seems like a killer one..

J

Thanks guys and gals.
Thanks Conga-I appreciate it, spring is almost here, some of the snow melted and we even may see summer sometime soon.

Lake,- I do have a lot of pieces going, but what is keeping me from posting is we are trying to get the house ready to sell. We are hoping to move to Florida this summer. :) I'm in a race to see if I can finish all I've started before having to abandon them here.

Benella, thanks for the feedback, you have some wonderful carvings as well, it is always a treat to see your updates.

Amate, how is your slit gong going?.....

Benzart- My work is almost always outside, there is no more room under the bed or behind the couch.

Seeksurf= fantastic art you are creating, I can only hope to be as precise.

Clarita, thanks, the drum is continuing, but a chip here and there doesn't really show up in progress shots, I do need to spend a few hours on it.

Here is a New Caledonia roof spire. A bit of simple flat-work for a change. It is hard to see the face carved in it. This much snow left after several days of sun and above freezing temps. Michigan sucks---the snow is almost gone today.

L

I understand why your work is completely crazy if you walk around foot naked in the snow! :o

So cool this roof spire...

J.

Always great to visit this spot Johnny. The roof figure is great. Your
carvings are always very true to their inspiration, and you gather your
inspiration from the most wonderful sources. Happy happy....well....let's
add another Happy!

B

See there, your Feet have done frozen off and you are so Cold you don't even feel it. You CRAZY or something??? Gives me the shivers just seeing you stand out there in shorts, Daayuuum boy??? C'mon down here and thaw out... Love that "Just a little something I did in my spare time"spire you did. cool,,, COLD!

get some Ugg boots on,P!
That Spire is beautiful...it just flows!
and the progress on that slit drum is slowly developing...
that 100 pounder is gonna make an awesome presence in someone's hut!
great work!

B

Cooler than cool !
Nice stuff,

Benjamin.

T

Great new stuff. Although "almost gone" is not quite how I would describe that picture snow... :P

J

Thanks guys- you are all the best.

Note: the snow all melted, - you folks in the south are so fortunate.

Now introducing

Piglet hammer.

Loosely interpreted from some smaller pighammers on display at the Chicago Field Museum. It is just about a foot long. It has a bit of a curve to it, but it came from a "Y" of a elm tree branch. I have cut a lot of firewood and it is amazing how few trees have just the right combination of size and angle to make one of these.

T

Hey Johnny love the new stuff .And especislly love the 3;16!!!!!!!!!

Johnny, you're a mad man!

Love the new work, great stuff!

Snow is gone finally and temps nearly in the 60's!

Good luck on the future move to Florida! I hope that in the next 10 years the wife and I can make a move to warmer climes.

I love to snowboard, but there are always the mountains for that, I get tired of the snow and gloom here in the Midwest.

Way cool, you are the master of the club.

B

Cool, Now Put the Hammer down Johnny and Back away from the piggies!

J

Hi guys,
Thanks.
I'll be in the Tampa area the from 4/18 to the 23rd if anybody from that area wants to get together.

JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies