Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

S

Looking good JohnnyP Love that style, but haven't seen it
in a woman yet.

How did I miss this update! Cool...get that girl on a treadmill!

J

Took some time away from carving to do this.

Mystery Package.

One of you knows what it is.

S

Im all eyes. what is it what is it hu hu?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 7:13 PM

Johnny,

A little bird told me you finished your canoe prow. I've been waiting for pics, but evidently your camera has frozen solid up there. Please defrost it and take some shots of the prow....That's one of the coolest things ever posted on TC and I wanna see how it looks.

-G

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 7, 2007 4:36 AM

Mystery Package, mystery package!!!!! :D

B

Yeah, Whatz in the Mystery Package??

J

The mystery package was a giant cigar sent to Gman. To see what was in it, go to his thread!

Remember this?

I've been picking at it for well over a year, and in all that time I did not take one progress shot. It is a Sepik river canoe prow with a few tiki faces in it. Loosely interpreted from an image in Linton's "Arts of the South Seas"

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 9:56 AM

That could possible be your best work

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 10:13 AM

Johnny,

That is freaking great! I'm totally pumped that you finished it off. This is the type of carving that you can look at for days/months and still never really see it all. Nice!

In all that snow, those must be Yeti toez?

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 11:40 AM

"To see what was in it, go to his thread!"

Nah, here's a pic of the croc drum/carving....E-dogg included for size reference.

-G$

Stunning work!

C

Johnny that canoe prow is as nice as it gets. You're just kidding us
right...you just returned from a trip to New Guinea where you traded
some Lions memorabilia?
Seriously, amazing vision and creation.

WOW!! Spectacular piece. Well worth the years time. Its good to see that you took the picture on a white sandy beach - with the sand slipping between the toes.

T

the canoe prow is amazing, it looks so authentic. and barefoot in the snow!? man, you are a warrior! :lol:

J

Thank you very much everybody, the encouragement keeps me going.

Conga, no I haven't been to New Guinea, but our water well connects to the Sepik River. :)

Here are some better pictures, with better contrast, next to our new bamboo grove.

B

Wonderful.

Benjamin.

S

JohnnyP that is some amazing work,
big time! Looks like you are channeling the tribal
elders on this one WOW! G has to be stoked.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 16, 2007 3:55 PM

Aloha Johnny! How's the weather up there man? Shorts and Ts down here mang.

So are you gonna show us this frame or what?

-G$

R
Robin posted on Mon, Dec 17, 2007 4:13 PM

Very impressive. Looks like the well connection is inspirational. Seriously...I recently was fortunate enough to spend some time at the deYoung, and well, nobody would know this wasn't actually from that area. Very very nice work.

P

One of my favourite carvings, ever, by anyone, from anywhere...beautiful piece JP. G is one lucky bugger to have this for his man room!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 18, 2007 4:10 AM

I don't have this one Paipo....Johnny sent me the giant croc drum. I don't think you get pry this prow away from him with the jaws of life.......

-G

B

Stunning! Amazing! Brilliant!

B

Johnny, That is One Nice piece and it looks to be your Most detailed yet. You Outdid yourself from the Very beginning With the beginning! Cool

B

Come on Johnny, show us more :wink:

Benjamin.

Just insane! How do you do it?

J

Thanks everybody.

Big things coming, look at this group of logs I get to bring home. The one I am standing on is about 3 ft in diameter.

ohh no you didn't!

OOOOOOOO!!! I see an outrigger coming - maybe??

Nice score Johnny.

Definately outdoor pieces though. :wink:

WOW! Your work is incredible! Cant wait to see what you have in store!
Scott

B

"Sticks" he says and I suppose he is gonna tell us he's making Matches or toothpicks? I see a Lots of Fun in those logs Johnny, Super Find, How you getting them home? Need any help shaping them out? I know of about a hundred tiki carvers who will be right there!

J

Yes, an outrigger is coming.

Ben- I'll get pics of the log salvaging operation as it goes.

Again thanks for all the support.

Here is the last couple hours of play. It is a Sepik River Cult House post final. Hopefully, if things come out right, it will have several tiki faces, a couple croc heads and a figure or two.

T

Nice pile of wood! WOW! What kind? That'll keep you busy for a while I'm sure!

Hey! The canoe prow is gonna be hard to beat! That's really nice! But with all the new wood ... hmmm...!

Oh Johnny, you had to know this one would drive me nuts. I can't seem to
get enough of that Sepik/PNG stuff. I love where this one is going!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 4:32 AM

Good gosh! JP's gone WILD! That is one sick rough out. You get 2X style points for sure!

B

Darn Johnny, why don't you do something once in a while that has a bit of fancy detail and story to it, we gets Tired of these old Plain-Jane carvings with simple faces and stuff! :lol:
We Loves you JohnnyP

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 6:25 PM

Man, that piece has a ton of presence already. Imagine what it'll be like when it's done!

S

This guy is demanding attention for sure.
The lines are looking great and the detail that
you have been putting out, WOW this is going to be something!

One hell of a piece going there Johnny, watching this guy evolve!

That looks killer! I love stacked figural pole carvings.

J

I appreciate the great comments. TikiGap asked what kind of wood the logs were. They are Poplar. The logs still haven't made it home, the ground needs to freeze before we can drag them out, the day we took the pictures it was the start of a warm period and really hasn't been cold enough to freeze deep into the ground enough to get a trailer back to them, but these next few days should do it, with temps in the single digits. 8F right now.

Here is something I finished up recently, another small PNG croc horn made out of elm harvested from our yard and saved from the firewood pile. It is just over 24 inches long. Haven't made too much progress on the other couple projects.

Very cool house finial, Johnny. I have a very small original one here in the collection, and these are really superb works of art. Great canoe prow as well.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 19, 2008 7:19 PM

Nice horn Hoss. Very smooth compared to your last one.....

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2008 7:48 PM

You dead or frozen?

J

Thank you BK!

Gman- Frozen is the answer, but finally thawing out today, hope to be in the mid twenties this weekend so I can get some carving in. Here are a couple of projects I started roughing out. A hourglass drum and headrest from PNG and an adze handle that hopefully works out. You can see a piece of Jade leaned up against it that eventually be lashed to it. I am planning on a Maori influenced decorated handle with some figures on it.

Too many irons in the fire, I have to finish something soon. I think I have ADD.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 6:13 PM

Focus, Johnny.....F-O-C-U-S

S

Johnny you are going to have to put a drum
sound file in here sometime. I would like to
hear it going off.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies