Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 5:04 PM

OK Johnny, where izzit? Time for update pics.....

-Gman

J

Tikigap and Congatiki, the mistakes were in the form of the Vanuatu slit gong. I rounded the drum body to the head too low and I messed up on the nose a bit. Good things to know since the next one needs be great. Conga, if you use a drum in one of your jam sessions and record it you can come get one. I'd be happy to have one with somebody who could actually play it, instead of just banging on it like I do.

Thanks Bete

Hodadhank :) That tiki of mine got a tan yet? Is he still waving to tourists?

Surf-n-turf I've scrounged for a lot of drum or garmut pictures also. It is surprising how few pictures of them there are on the net. Interestingly though, on of my New Guinea figures (not a drum) shows up on a image search for "slit gong".

Gman here izza update. Didn't work on the drum today but did get some time on the croc prow. I hollowed out behind the teeth and carved the detail into the croc body and added the figure at the back. I mostly finished the "scales" on the croc head, except for around the face at the noze. This is taking a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

Thanks for looking

JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2006-12-17 19:54 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 6:19 PM

Now thatz what I was waiting for! Damn, that is wicked! I love how you did the teeth on the prow. I bet that is taking longer than you thought...I bet it will take lots more time too. I shudder when I think of sanding that beast. Gads! That has to be one of the most intense pieces I've seen you post. Congrats on a truly killer piece. Wow!

-Gman

K

wow JP! the croc rocks insane detail.

B

JP, You are really doing some heavy, Intricate stuff here and it is looking Awwesome.Can't wait to see this done, but Love the progress shots!

On 2006-12-17 18:12, JohnnyP wrote:

This is taking a lot longer than I ever thought it would.

Wow! Im not surprised its taking a while. Its looking great, there's a whole lot going on/in/around that Croc!

The 'Crocodile Rocks'! laaaaah..... lah-lah-lah-lah laaaaaahh......

TTT :)

B
Bete posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 3:26 PM

WOW JOhnnyP, that croc head is looking so cool!

The canoe prow is just nuts...you got a little "Sepik" blood in you Johnny? That's the only
way I could explain-away the skill and vision you are showing in this piece. Great.

This looks great. Can't wait to see it finished.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 19, 2006 5:21 PM

Do you have any updates to show us? I know you are scratching at that prow up there...let us see too!

Very nice indeed...very authentic looking.

KK

Whoah brah! love the croc!!! You people are killing me with all the pono carving Im seeing!!! Im so glad to be back! keep up the good work!!! Im realizing its gonna take me 6 months to go back and read the last 6 months of posts!!!!

malama pono bruddah!

J

Thanks guys.

Conga, no Sepik relitives that I know of....

I have a couple questions.

1. On the slit drum. There are a couple of curved surfaces that meet each other under the nose that need to be sanded or cleaned up. There is not an easy way to get a chisel in there and I don't have any bent chisels. How would you recommend doing that?

2. Does anybody have any clear pictures of the "native" drum set at the Mai Kai? I've found several blurry pictures here and most of the pictures posted have those pesky dancing girls blocking the drums (darn :)).

L
Loki posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 8:16 AM

JP the drums are killer. You are really getting some great detail on them. It's amazing to see how intricate you can get.

as for the pics of the mai kai drums....mine all have beautiful wahinies in them too....thats not a bad thing...:wink:

J

Gman

Per your request! Croc top and Croc bottom.

"inside the mouth"

Does anybody have photos of the Mai Kai drum set?

JP

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 22, 2006 8:58 AM

Thanks Pighammer. I was curious as to what you did under there. I figured you took out all the wood. Very cool idea to do angle cuts there and leave some meat....you must be an engineer or something?

-Gman

T

Hey JP - could you show some more detailed pictures of the inside of the slit gong? I'm hollowing one out so the walls are about 5/8 inch thick. I think I should not be doing that.

Thanks

Greg

J

Gap,
5/8" is a little thin. Instead of photo, here is a diagram. You don't have to get the walls real thin to get a nice sound. I saw one of these drums at the museum and was surprised how thick the walls were. Good luck! Post pictures of your progress. How does that walnut resonate?

TeaKEY stopped by this afternoon and we had a nice visit. It was nice to meet a fellow Michigander into the tiki thing. His Benzart mug is great, he nailed it very well. It shows much better in person than the photos.

J

Merry Christmas everybody! Have a wonderful holiday!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 24, 2006 6:25 PM

Merry Christmas Johnny!

Merry Christmas Johnny....I love that Mai Kai tiki...he looks great with the santa hat.
Are you a Lions fan? Too bad about dropped passes today...Kitna almost pulled em through.

B

Love the guy in the santa hat. Merry Christmas Johnny P.
Happy New Years too.

T

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to you guys too!

Hey Johnny thanks for technical drawing! My gong is actually pretty close to that shape. The 5/8 inch thickness is as thin as it goes; it's much thicker at the bottom (like the drawing).

It sounds pretty good to me! The walnut is hard so the tone is sharp. I'll get some pictures up soon.

Thanks again for the advice and direction!

Regards,

Greg

B
Bete posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 5:00 PM

Happy holidays JohnnyP!

T

Hey Johnny

That was very fun checking out all the great carvings that you have. You are truly Michigan's premiere Tiki Carver. Its been years since I have even seen a carver and of course your the first Tiki Head that I got to hang out with, in your sweet tiki pad no less.

Your stuff is so much more captivating in person and its the first time that I got to hear tikis. There was wind and procession tikis. Don't know which ones I like better. But I'm thinking that the next time that we hang out, I might have to get a croc. horn off you if you can part with one.
You are where I hope to see myself in the future. Out in the woods making all the great stuff that you see only in books and enjoying life. That is the perfect set up that you got in my opinion.

I'm a big guy, but I couldn't have imagine that your PIGHAMMER was so heavy. The only thing that I got you beat on is the dial-up :).

A great experience, teaKEY

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-12-27 18:45 ]

B
Bete posted on Fri, Dec 29, 2006 1:51 PM

Happy New Year JohnnyP (aka "The Wildman")!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 1, 2007 6:21 PM

You dead?

J

Nope, not dead just really really busy working on a project that I may post.

I have to get this second one done. The truck leaves this weekend. The hard part is done, now just to add the detail and clean it up.

Sorry bout the blurry pics, but the flash washed out the detail.

Mrs. JohnnyP just launched my website. http://www.badaxecarving.com

Whadauthink?

Thanks for looking,

JP

[ Edited by: Johnnyp 2007-01-02 19:05 ]

T

On 2007-01-02 18:36, JohnnyP wrote:
Mrs. JohnnyP just launched my website. http://www.badaxecarving.com

Whadauthink?

Man - first class website! Mrs. JohnnyP is quite talented!
And the gongs are great... how big 'round are they?

I'll be back later - I'm gonna spend some time checking out the website.

Way to go bro!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 7:01 PM

Dats got mo sizzle, fo Schnizzel!

C

Now we're talking! Great collection of "stuff" on the website...and the gongs are otta
this world. Pighammer rocks! I gotta go back to the website and hook up with Gap.
Nice work Johnny!

F

Your website is really terrific! Did the Mrs. construct it too?

B
Bete posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 3:24 PM

Just checked out your website JohnnyP, very nice.

B

JP, the drums are looking Great. Saw your web site yeaterday,,, VERY Impressive. Nice collection of stuff.

Great site JohnnyP! Its cool to see everything together (& a few previously unseen).

Your New Guinea designs are just incredible, if your name wasnt beside them I'd swear I was looking at the genuine articles!! Ditto the clubs,drums & sharktooth knives!

Hope the site brings good sales for you.

Ka pai! Tama :)

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Jan 6, 2007 9:18 PM

Hey Johhny, your site rocks. Lotsa cool New Guinea pieces. Love the crocs!

Shouldn't it be titled "GOODaxecarving.com" instead?
:)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 4:58 AM

WELL?? Where IZZIT??

J

Thanks for the comps on the website. Mrs. JohnnyP did do the website. This was her first.

Here is the Slit Gong finished up. 7.6 feet tall. about 12 + inches in diameter.

Goin' to Hollywood! Permanent Vacation.

Thanks for looking
JP

F

That looks great! It seem to me that you owe us some sound recordings. How about one with the horns and your new drum being struck with a pighammer? :wink:

J

I do owe the sound recordings, I seem to have misplaced my recorder.

As far as this drum, it is already 500+ miles west of here so I can't record it.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-01-09 16:08 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 4:54 PM

Bang a Gong...Get it ON! Very nice work Johnny! I like the shallower cuts behind the head as well. Top notch detailing! Hollywood, huh....I hope he likes tofu :D

How did it sound? Deep like a big boy or a sweet high pitch?

-Gman

B

Looks Great JP, what you gonna do with 2 of thise guyz. NICE!

T

Man! That gong is cool as hell! 7 feet long? You gotta be kiddin' ! That's awesome!

Nice chops Johnny. Those guys are something I've wanted to carve for 3 years now... never got around to it. I always get busy doing something else.

I miss chopping big guys like that. I keep fiddling with small stuff. Need to get some logs.

Again, really nice work! Maybe this summer I'll make it over your way.

P

You have got this stuff nailed. Totally indistinguishable from the real thing! Great to see someone snapped that up too...lucky bugger!

J

Thanks guys,
I was on a deadline with this drum, it was going to California. My parents are now driving across country and agreed to take it with them to save the shipping costs. Then the weather report shifted a bit, and they wanted to leave about a week earlier than I was expecting, so I was out in the cold pouring rain sawing away at it. I stained it less than 12 hours before they left.

Here are the beaters to go with the drum. They are going in the mail and might actually make it there before the drum does. I hope these meet expectations.
The one on the right is a loose copy of one I found in an auction catalog. I rmembered seeing one with the "banana plant" handle which is the detail on the handle end and thought it would be a nice touch.

TikiDav asked, why the name "badaxecarving" for my website instead of "goodaxetiki"?
The answer is there is a small town close to here called Bad Axe and we thought of the play on words, Bad Adze, Bad Axe(ass), Bad Ass Tiki (but then I remembered TikiG already has that) so we decided BadAxeTiki was too close to his and came up with Bad Axe Carving Co.

Thanks for looking
JP

http://www.badaxecarving.com

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-01-14 18:31 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 15, 2007 6:46 AM

Nice beaters Johnny. I hope they get to their destination on time.

As for the company name, I like the fact that it doesn't have tiki in it and that you can market all sorts of other carvings out of there (like fish). Once you get that sucker hitting with the search engines, I think you will start to see a lot of hits.

-Gman

Great beaters JP! I like the name too. Like Gman said, you could market anything with it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies