Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

JohnnyP,

Super sweet & Beautiful, I would hate to break into your house and see you coming toward me with your club in hand.

T

Very nice JP - that walnut club is beautiful! I too started laffing my arse off when I saw the pics of you catching that bog fish! What a hoot! Very nice work!

J

Thanks for the comments. I've been away for the last week, so I'll be catching up on all that you posted for the next couple days.

Bete and TGap- You two are from the north so you know how we have to goof around and really use our imaginations to pretend we are in the land of tiki. I'm glad you found it humourous, I had fun with the pictures.

Ben and Gman- Scroll saw is on the list.

SCTikishack
Quote-I would hate to break into your house and see you coming toward me with your club in hand.-Quote
----Really the story is this. I have three daughters and the oldest is now a teen- I had to prepare early for the dating scene. I have to freak the boys out somehow.

Here is the latest project. It is a dagger made from roadkill deer bone, not that they have deer in PNG, but my access to cassawary bird leg bones is pretty limited.

in progress

Finished- Thanks to Gman for the finishing tip.

Thanks for looking

JP

Is it tiki or is it not....I say...hell yea! Great work Johnny...and it looks like it was
a lot of work too.....kudos (is that a tiki word?) to you.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2006 2:45 PM

Nice job Johnny. I've been letting my stuff work in the mix for about 12 - 24 hours. Then a hit with 000 steel wool. I love the faces and work you put in there. I bet that's the kinda piece you could hold in your hands and look at for hours and see all sorts of different stuff, aye? When we spoke yesterday, I thought that was antler...I didn't know it was bone....Cassawwho what?? bird bone....from where?? Maybe try to get some dodo or archaeopteryx to work in next time........

-Gman

B

I Agree JP, yo gotta start now building those freak out implements to scare the boys off and put the fear of tiki god in them. Nice one to start, that oughtta shake'em up a bit.

T

On 2006-08-13 12:23, JohnnyP wrote:
"Bete and TGap- You two are from the north ..."

There's a lot of folks in old Virginny that would dispute that "Nawth" remark :wink:
... many still believe that Richmond Virginia is the capitol of the U.S.!

But aren't you full of surprises! That deer bone carve is very creative... very well done! That should (as Benz put it) put the fear of the tiki gods into the neighborhood dogs..., er, I mean, boys. Good luck with those! I had 1/3 of that problem a while ago - now my one daughter is all grown up and on her own, and it's out of my hands. Whew!

L
Loki posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 6:41 AM

JP...the dagger is sweet...the finish really looks good. When you make the move down south, forget a home security system on the house, you already got it...

H

That dagger rocks but that sharks tooth club thing is outta this world! Lotsa detail, lotta time involved with that?

P

That looks more authentic than most of the stuff I see on ebay! Very cool piece - what's next?

B
Bete posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 6:33 AM

Looks very cool Johnny! It looks like an antique, that's a very cool technique you are using to do that.

Nice piece! Maprik or Angoram looks like.. PM me and I'll send you a supplier on some scarcer materials.

B
Bete posted on Tue, Aug 15, 2006 4:52 PM

P.S. and yeah we do "know how we have to goof around and really use our imaginations to pretend we are in the land of tiki" I hear ya Bro.

J

Hey everybody,
Thanks a lot. The pictures came out blurryer than they looked on my computer.

Congatiki- I think Kudos is an un-tiki word- but thanks anyways.

Tikigap / Bete- I was referring to north for Tiki Land point of view- north meaning not Florida or SoCal. Not to the un-tiki Mason-Dixon line that separates us.

Surf-n-turf- The sharks tooth thingy did take a long long time (ask Kingstyedye) to complete-thanks for noticing.

Paipo-Thank you for the comments- my goal is to look as authentic as possible and I am slowly learning how to carve and still have a long ways to go.

BK- Yes I would love to get a source for some authentic materials. I felt pretty silly standing by the road picking through a rotten carcass like a vulture--Ahhh, what we do for fun. Not exactly sure of the region from PNG, I found a picture in a book, but it wasn't identified as to where it was from.

I do have a few more bones if anybody wants one of these. For reference this is about 6 inches long.

I just finished reading all 24 pages of the un-tiki thread and I have to ask: Most of my carvings and interest are PNG influenced and I think they fit the tiki definition, but are they? I've been the the Mai Kai in Florida and much of their decoration is New Guinea influenced (much of it very close to authentic looking) so I've been using that as my yardstick. Also I have seen fish carvings in other tiki bars so I didn't think they were out of place. What do you think?

Thanks again.
JP

Keep posting and figure it out later. One man's tiki is anothers not-so-tiki-knockoff. Your stuff comes from your creativity not someone else opinion. Besides they kick as#.

J

Thanks AlohaStation.

This is a PNG horn or flute and was my project for the rainy day. I found photos of one for sale on Ebay, but it had a dogs head and I changed it to a crocodiles head, which were also often used.

I hollowed out the end of the horn by drilling a hole from the end down to the mouth hole. Next I opened the opening by using a chainsaw and plunging and twisting the bar while cutting until the bar was fully in the log. The wall thickness at the end is less than 1/2 inch. It is made out of elm wood and is just about 3 feet long. This thing makes some weird sounds.

Maybe stain tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 19, 2006 6:40 PM

JP,

That is nutz! Wow, how cool is that? Wicked geat carving on the head...jeez, what are you a professional now? Call me up and let me hear what that thing sounds like! I want one!

-Gman

J

On 2006-08-19 18:40, GMAN wrote:
JP,

Call me up and let me hear what that thing sounds like! I want one!

-Gman

Imagine this
"AHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeaaaaaaAAAAAAAeeeeeeeeeHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh UUUUUooooooooOOOOOohhhhhhOOOOOOOOOOOAAAeeeeeeee EEEEEEhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa aaaauuuugaa"

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 19, 2006 6:52 PM

Man, I'm sitting her polishing my bone and you are carving things that make crazy sounds....I got off at the wrong stop this morning......

-Gman

B

Looks like the flute will bite you if you don't play it right. I wanna hear it, can't you include some sopund bytes? Looks really neat.
The Amazing Johnny P Strikes again, Step right up folks, the man is ON Fire!!

nice work there! that looks really good there.

good job

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 20, 2006 1:52 PM

Personally, I can't see how work based on South Seas artifacts couldn't be tiki. To me the idea of someone getting home from work , or sitting in suburbia somewhere, and carving themself an obscure and primitive object - that epitomises the whole concept of tiki.

I've never been much into PNG stuff, being much more a classical Polynesian fan, but I'm really starting to warm to it. You're doing some very cool pieces, and the new one is no exception.

Nice work on the flute stopper! The originals are among the most highly collected PNG artifacts, and consequently most are very, very expensive. That's a quality job and looks very authentic.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-08-20 21:27 ]

B
Bete posted on Mon, Aug 21, 2006 9:18 AM

Looks cool!

For some reason that last piece kinda creeps me out. I can't explain it, but something about the face makes me uneasy.

It's a very, very cool carving and I wish I could hear it!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 24, 2006 7:18 PM

Chainsaw jockeys rule!

aloha johnny! i hung your club over a window in my tc art room. i still have room for a couple more up there! (hint, hint) tikimeculas clubs are above the other window. mahalo, bullet

8T

Look JP, I see someone else who has a popcorn ceiling that needs attention. Hint Hint. (see my thread for details)

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2006-08-28 15:12 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 4:00 PM

You really need to post pics of your carved tarpon....it's awesome!

P

wow, i so read that differently.

J

Thanks everybody. Bete, BK, TikiDuddy, GMan, Benz, Paipo

Finkdaddy- the only thing that should creep you out about the horn, is me playing it. Although I did learn how to get a good sound out of it. It sounds like a cross between a shell horn and a fog horn.

Thanks for the photo of the club in it's new home Kingstiedie

Gman thanks for the props. What tarpon?

PDrake- It took me a minute.

There's a couple things in the works.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 30, 2006 9:09 PM

Johnny,

Quit blowing your crocodile horn and start posting pics of that silver king...

-Gman

Man....I should look at your thread more often, Johnny...You have true respect for Oceanic art..I got respect for you, brah. Beautiful stuff.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Aug 31, 2006 5:33 PM

kingstiedye, it looks very cool displayed like that.

J

Ok Gman- Pictures of the silver king coming up.
The first couple are before some fine tuning and sanding. The last few are what I accomplished today.

I decided to forgo the scales, whatever I tried didn't quite look right

Let me blow my own horn.

Note the very cool prized shirt.

Thanks BK- I really enjoy the old Oceanic art. I find it challenging to try to duplicate a piece that was made a long time ago. I respect your work, and truly thank you for the complement.

Thanks
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 5:14 PM

JohnnyP,

Oh yeah, that came out sweet! I hear ya on the scales; it's tough. That piece is worthy of a big horn blow....so go ahead and blow your horn! Thanks for posting the noprat, silver king, or whatever you wanna call it now!

-Gman

C

I ain't much for fish except for eatin' them...but this is a really nice piece of work...
and the best part is that it prompted me to catch the whole thread from beginning to end...
you have amassed a wonderful "resume"...among the very best!

L
Loki posted on Sun, Sep 3, 2006 11:02 AM

Damn JP...that is a mount if ever i saw one...awesome work as usual.

B

Yeah, That Tarpon looks like he really gave up a good fight. What kind of bait/lure s were you using?

Nice Nice Nice

Kia ora JP. Thanks for the welcoming PM. Cant believe that I havent caught this thread yet! You are an animal!! (& of course I mean that in the nicest possible way...)
The Silver King: WOW!!! I cant believe the scale you guys work on!
The Maripi/knife: WOW!!! Very traditional, very beautiful!
PNG Croc flute: Holt sh*t!!! Now thats clever!

Have only coaught the opening and latest pages but the middle is definately on my 'to do' list. Im sure there are many more pleasant surprises in store...

If it wearnt daytime here I would run outside & howl at the moon!!!

RE-SPECT! Tama The Terrible (dammit Benz, the name has stuck!)

T

Wow JP! The crock horn - how cool is that? I'm surprised that you could get it down to 1/2 inch thich without breaking out somewhere with the chainsaw. Very well done! A sound bite would be very interesting...

Now to the fish! Whoa! That's a big fish!
Is that all one piece of wood? It is really cool.

What tools would you use to attempt the scales? I tried scales once, just for practice, and with a Foredom or Weecher, it might be easier. I didn't get too far though - just playin around. It still was pretty difficult to get the right look.

TG

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 1:33 PM

Very nice job on the fish, especially the detail on the head. What sort of colour are you going to pout on the croc horn? I'm hanging to see it finished!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 6:27 PM

JohnnyP,

Whatcha got going on up there? I know you are cranking on stuff before the freezing weather arrives...are you gonna show us some?

-Gman

B

I didn't know you were a good enough fisherman to land a beast like the=at. He must have felt sorry for you and Jumped right into your boat, just to help you out a bit. Good on 'ya. Excellent catch oh brave fishcatcher!!
HEha

Excellent! I can't even imagine how much that must weigh. He's looking real sharp, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. :D

J

Thank you all for the comments.

Gman and Loki- Thanks for the continued support, Hopefully I can carve with you guys soon.

Congatiki- This is the only way to catch these fish up here, but when you cook them they taste a lot like pine, I don't blame you for not being into sawdust flavored fish. Keep up the PNG pieces.

TTT- Welcome to TC. Thanks for your props. You do top shelf work and it is a pleasure to watch those jade pieces come to life.

TikiGap- It is one log for the body and rear lower tail and seven added fins- which I still have a bit more fine tuning to eliminate the gaps. I gave up on the scales for now. The horn took a lot of patience and a real easy throttle finger. Further inside the horn the walls thicken up so it is all not 1/2 inch wall.

Paipo- the Crockhorn will be sepik river dark with chalky paint- similar to what Congatiki has done recently. I just hope mine turns out as good as his.

Finkdaddy- Thanks. I think it weighs about 65-75 pounds.

Here is the last couple small projects. The next project will be a tiki in a style I haven't done before.

Benzart- Thanks, this is the secret lure I use to catch these. Makes the tarpon a bit more tiki, so I am going to use the tarpon as a display mount for this Sociity Island fish hook replica.

A bull-roar. I have always wanted one of these ever since I heard that old Midnight Oil song. I found a picture of one from New Guinea and thought it would fit the tiki theme. Shallow relief carved. The flash made the white stand way out, it's not that bright. I think the figure on it came out looking like Icus from "Real Monsters" though. It sounds pretty cool when used.

Here is another bone dagger. This again from deer leg-bone.

Thanks for looking and have a great week!
JP

great stuff, johnny. is that dagger available?

J

Bullet
Yes the dagger is available.

JP

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies