Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Johnnyp Tut 2/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1,193 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2007 11:51 AM

Hello...hellooo...helloooooooo...?

You there?

J

Hi, Its' been a while since I've posted, work, travel, and a kitchen remodel kinda tie you up a bit. Finally got back to the chainsaw, man I miss the smell of its exhaust. I've been wanting to do one of these for a while. This is just a test for the dugout outrigger canoe and sail event that has been postponed for odd reasons.

This is going to be a small one only 7 ft long, similar to one I saw in a New Guinea anthropology book that was used for fishing offshore, but within the reef. But I decided to do a croc head canoe prow to honor Gman's recent conquest! The size was also dictated by where I hope to eventually hang it for display.

It is roughed out ready for finish carving. I have it propped up and loosely "rigged" with HomeDepot tie-down cord---ie nylon cord.

I've finished a couple of projects, but have to slow down a bit to take some pictures.

Thanks for looking.

JohnnyP, that is sweet. How long did it take hollowing that out? GMAN is going to love that w/ the croc head!!!

Craig

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 5:16 PM

hang that from the ceiling of your work area. Looks cool, This past summer was going to be the summer of the big lake trip. There is always next year.

Very cool! On my list of things to do!

Quite a log score there... not to mention that beast in the back! What's that for?!?!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 5:25 AM

"I decided to do a croc head canoe prow to honor Gman's recent conquest!"

You're crazy! Do you think this one will float you? If you try, I wanna see pics! I think you need to put it in the water once before you hang it in the house. I can see the "crowbar" in the pics, was that one of the toolz you used to do the work, or was it mostly saw? Always wild stuff from you Johnny! I'm glad you posted.

-G

C

Nice project Johnny...looks like a lotta digging. Hey...how about we hook this to a snomobile
and cruise across lake Michigan this winter?

Now That's a big project! Lookin good so far.

B

John, now THIS looks to be a piece to keep watching. Please take plenty pictures and let us see your great skills. we KNOW you Have'em. :lol:

T

Very nice JP. The canoe is quite interesting... I for one would like to see more pics. Your stuff is always interesting though!
7 feet long? What will you do with it when it's done? (Sorry if I missed that before)

GAP

That's a very cool, ambitious, original project, P. And one of the keynote pieces of a lot of great golden-era tiki temples. Looks great.

Very cool!! I have been wanting to make one these for a long time and you beat me to it. If you try floating it don't forget your PFD (personal floatation DRINK)!!

H

WOW!!
You certainly have big wood!! :lol:
I, too, would like to see progress shots of this.
Oh yeah, what kind of tree was it?

B

very nice canoe. It will be a masterpiece for sure.

Ben

S

Wow thats a project. Nice job!

J

Hi
Tikifreak--- It took way too long to hollow it out, and then when I thought I was done, it took another several hours of chisel work.

TeaKey- Yeah, the canoe carve event didn't happen this year. I've been doing a lot of research on it and I do want to do it next year. This piece was just a test carve and practice for the big one.

Lake, Thanks this was a fun project, you should do one and try to surf it like the Hawaiians do, only in Lake Michigan. The log in background is going to be for a non tiki project, I am going to carve an Egyptian sarcophagus, attempting to simulate King Tut's famous one.

Gman- Crazy yes! I hope you like. I posted a picture of me "in" the canoe in my very own miniature Pacific- Brrr water was 46 degrees.

Conga- I hope we can't drive a snowmobile across Lake Michigan, that means it will have been frozen over.

Alohastation- I had my PFD after-wards and said cheers to you for it.

Heath- It is Elm we had a few of these trees die this year and this came from our property. Elm is about as hard as ash and almost as heavy.

Gap- I am going to hang it on the wall in my sun porch, the dimensions I made it just fit.

Thanks everybody else appreciate the support and comments. And get well Benzart.

No progress shot, here it is finished, I think I am going to let this stay natural, or maybe stain it a grayish color.

Brrr, too small to support my weight as I guessed, but was hoping for.

Thanks

Very nice!

Damn, I know that water is cold! Nights have been 38 - 50 degrees. You're nuts!

Went surfing last week in the big lake and it's water temp is 48. We're in 6/4 wetsuits already.

You've given me the prodding I needed to do a 1/4 or half sized 'rigger for the yard now... winter project!

H

Quote:

On 2007-10-14 18:49, JohnnyP wrote:

Brrr water was 46 degrees.

Quote:

On 2007-10-14 19:09, Lake Surfer wrote:

You're nuts!

Uh, yeah, I agree, you're nuts!
Other than that, BITCHEN' carve!
Love the croc head prow!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 4:39 AM

Dude!! That is way cool! Maybe hit it with some finishing oil to keep it nice and moist and waterproof? I can't wait to see how you display it in your house! The prow has a very sinister look to it. Sweet carve Johnny!

-G

Wonderful idea and execution Johnny, it will look great with your other "stuff."
Looks a little chilly in the pool.

Great work, canoes are a lot harder to carve than they look.

Awesome JP!

Love the crock face.... but can you make one big enough to float Hodaddy's fat ass as I paddle round my lagoon?

L
Loki posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 12:38 PM

Sweet work JP...when you comin' down to warmer parts again?

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 2:24 PM

Love your crocs JP, and this one is no exception. Bring on the real thing!

Turned out awesome Johnny!! I love how the head creeps out of the water!

S

Nice I love it.

Wow, does that look cool!! Nice work!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 20, 2007 9:43 PM

We need more JohnnyP carvings.....Have you been working?

-G

Canoe is top knotch! I had an opportunity with Swank to buy a real one earlier this year...should have just cut off an arm and traded it!

J

Lake, Looking foreword to seeing you carve yours, just make it a lot bigger than this one.

BK, I'd love to display a real one carved in PG, but even the prow fragments cost a small fortune, I'll just have to make due with my hackings. One of these days I'll have to see your dealer. Thanks for the comp though.

Thanks everybody else. The real canoe carve project is still in the works though. This was just a quick practice to see what kind of time it would take. Stay tuned. Yes the water was chilly, warmer this weekend, but still time to close the pool until next year :( .

Hodadhank- You find a log, and supply a place to stay for me and the misses, and I'll make you one. We'll have to paddle up to Bali Hai.

Gman- I hope to hang it sometime before Xmas. And yes, I did a bit of carving this weekend. Just a little trinket for my wife.

B

Johnny that crock-anoe is really going to be nice. Very well done. When you carve the bigger one, sail on down here and dock it at my house for awhile while we carve some other stuff.. I'll be waiting!

Dear JohnnyP,
The Crocodile boat looks great and I canĀ“t say that you need to loose weight to ride it, from your photos you look like a "light" person. :wink:
The Bone pendant looks great and I found great that almost all of you can carve this wonderful material, I guess that your wife must be very happy with it.
Thanks for the photos.

Hugs,

Sebas

T

Benz: "crock-anoe"!? That's good!

Awesome crockanoe, Johnny! :)

R
Robin posted on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 3:33 PM

That canoe is fabulous! Nice bone pendant too. And thanks for posting your library as well.

J

Hi, I've been meaning to do one of these for a long time, but got motivated when I saw 4WDtiki's "girl" tiki. This one will go stand next to the Mai Kai tiki and make him happy. This is just into it's chainsaw rough block out phase and it will be about 7 ft tall including the base. I haven't carved a proper tiki using a chainsaw in quite a while, because I was going to finish a few of the ones I had already started, like the teko in the background.

Thanks for looking

Very cool Johnny!!!! The one in the background is awesome too!!

Craig

This will be fun. I love to watch the progress pics of your carvings, so lets
see some action shots along the way. Your earlier Mai Kai figure remains one of
my all time faves. And don't neglect that Teko Teko too long...is that the same one
that broke on you?

B

This will be a super carving.
Do you know you are teasing us by showing behind your girl a future masterpiece? :wink:

Benjamin.

P.S: edited to add a "y" to "your" .

[ Edited by: benella 2007-11-13 00:40 ]

S

Ya, show us the boobs

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 13, 2007 9:40 AM

Very nice Johnny! That first 7' carving you did blew me away. I'm glad to see you digging into another like it. What a great rough out! I can't wait to see more pics of this one....and of the teko hanging out in the back. It must be cold up there in the pole barn, aye? Are you going to bring these guys (and gal) indoors when the snows come?

-G

Pole Barn? Hey, that's what I call my pants.

...which reminds me, Johnny I'm finally confident enough with torch and stain to not completely ruin "Doubleheader". I thought maybe an ebony minwax stain. Whatcha think?

J

Happy Thanksgiving!!

These came to visit today.

Took these photos from our living room.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Nov 22, 2007 6:33 PM

Happy Thanksgiving JohnnyP, WOW so much snow you have, WOW!

B

How'z your Girl coming JP? With this weather it makes it tough to carve I guess, But DO IT Anyway! :lol:

J

Ben, here she is! Spent an hour or so with a grinder, and cleaned her up a bit.--Darn snow.

Hope everybody had a great holiday weekend.

R

Hey, nice. Way to work despite the snow. I like her.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 3:24 PM

I give them boobies two thumbs down!

B

Looks like you spent too much time on those boobies, she went and got pregnant!,,,'Fess up!
She IS looking Really Good.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 1193 replies