Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Little lost Tiki's Art Chronicles and Stuffs! Page 70!A brief Return,BUT! Some new pieces to Delight YOU!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3,330 replies

Ohh that's sooo cute & happy!
Thanky you thank you!!

Hello Tiki Central Ohana!
Sorry about the Delay, but between tearing down and putting up art shows, I haven't had time to create! Did an exclusive Cannibal painting for the Tikis and Terrors2 show at the Bahooka-so that was a blur! Here's what the piece looked like after I finished it...(for more Tikis and Terrors2 art and festivity pix -check out the thread....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18909&forum=17&start=60
Well, here's the Cannibal-painted on this heavy wooden door moulding thang.

and here's the poor fellar who ended up being invited to dinner....

After this and the rush of that incredible group show, and meeting soooo many of the artists and TC crew that I admire; I began contemplating the next piece....(I was gonna do a step by step, but I finished it mostly on the 2nd day I worked on it! Wish I would have had the digital camera with me at the studio on Friday!) Here's the sketchbook study...

and here's the piece....Title-less so far...Any Suggestions?

I'm just calling it "Rounder" for now-a pun on the shape as well as a old Folksy term-in a Woody Guthrie style!
Here's some details....

Very fun piece to paint.I sat in the studio and watched the entire 2-disc DVD of "Mr. Show" and "Outfoxed" whilst working out the lighting-makes the time go by faster!

That's it for now, Good Friends. I promise to paint and post more frequently in the near future! Keep those cards and letters comin'!
Aloha!

visit http://www.kenruzic.com and you will ,hopefully, be inspired.

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-09-23 14:00 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 2:08 PM

On 2006-09-23 13:49, little lost tiki wrote:

That's it for now, Good Friends. I promise to paint and post more frequently in the near future!
Aloha!

I'll hold you to that! Lovin' the new piece. I'm a big fan of cannibal/headhunter themed tiki stuff, in fact I have something similar to your skull holding guys drawn up for one of my next pieces.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 23, 2006 2:14 PM

Don't you have a job?

You're making lazy bastards like GROG look bad.

That piece is pretty bitchin'licous! Love it!
ST

All I can say is WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO! Little Lost Tiki is on fire! Keep an eye on his work. This artist is going to go far :)

Thanks Paipo!
Your miniature magic pendants are on FIRE! Would love to see your cannibal tiki ideas! C'mon! I showed you mine! And I'm still thinking about a trade,I just have to gel on it fer awhile!
GROG,
Yes LILLOSTTIKI has job plus paints plus has family he sometimes interacts with! Can GROG get me lazy bastard job too?
Howdy Sneaky!
Being from Illinois, it's always great to have Midwestern Ohana throwing Props! YEEEEE-HAW! Glad you liked it, prepare for more soon!
Woo-Hoo!
You crack me up and make me smile! Thanks for you and Soccertiki sharing yesterday! That was pretty incredible! That Mai-Tai from Tommy kicked my butt! Couldn't paint the rest of the night, but I shore slept good! Thanks for being so sweet and kind!
Well, here's some sketchbook entries to keep you amused whilst I paint more....
Sorry they're fuzzy!
Here's the "Big Kahuna's with Feast"

and here's a "Tattooed Cryer"

That's it for now, I'll see y'all soon! Aloha! Mahalo!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 24, 2006 5:43 PM

On 2006-09-24 14:36, little lost tiki wrote:
Thanks Paipo!
Your miniature magic pendants are on FIRE! Would love to see your cannibal tiki ideas! C'mon! I showed you mine! And I'm still thinking about a trade,I just have to gel on it fer awhile!

I posted the first one (cannibal) here, but the next guy (headhunter) probably won't be underway for while, I'm taking a break this week now I've got all the stuff done for a show which has been consuming my life for the past month. I'm sure you know how that feels :)
Trade, buy, mow your lawns - whatever! No pressure and no hurry, I'll just be happy to get a piece of your work when the time is right.

Paipo, that is one Great piece!
Here is Paipo's Cannibal folks!That is just SPOT-ON!

That worried little fella just cracks me up! You are a genius man!
There's something about sad little victims that just brings a grin to your face,
especially when they're imaginary!
Like this little study for that "Cannibal" painting

You inspired me this evening to take a loooong cig break and sketch out 2 cannibals! Seeing as you're getting ready for a show (Congrats by the way!) you have been giving and giving,so here's a little cannibal show of work ,(actually since the Tikis and terrors 2 last week)for you to enjoy without all the hand-shaking and logistics and invites and all that crap! So relax for a moment and escape to CANNIBAL LAND!
Here's one of piece's that you sparked "The Feeding Frenzy"

Here's a "Cannibal Tiki with Trophy"

These next guys I'm really starting to dig.Possible Painting soon!
"the Cannibal Shields"

and lastly, a Running Big -Masked fella,running, I imagine from those Cannibal Shields!

There you go Paipo! A little Art show for you for all your efforts and work! Keep it up man,and keep us all posted on your exhibition! Mahalo!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 25, 2006 1:23 AM

Brilliant stuff man, I really enjoy the element of humour and the crazy jungle vibe you put into your tikis. Maybe I should take up smoking again! I'm sure I'll find time for a celebratory cigar on Friday night....
Maybe we could collaborate some day - I think some of your designs would make cool carvings & resin casts. Look how great the mugs came out (though I've got a long way to go to get anywhere near Squid's level)!
I'll have a big update in my thread with a selection of my exhibition stuff for everyone to check out in a day or so.

LLT, (the artist hero Ken)

You are cranking-out-da-Tikis my man! Wow! The round canvas is really neat. What is the diameter? So you got a day job AND you create all this art too! Whew! I think I'm putting out one painting to your 20!

Yeah, I love the mythology feel in your work. The big paintings just have such a great epic Polynesian story "sense" to them.

And thanks for posting your work in progress, that is truly courageous and yes, very inspirational, indeed!

Tiki Shark~

Aloooooha!
Why Ken, you look so excited today! Why is that? Have you,after drinking 5 cups of coffee, been closing all the doors and windows to your studio whilst varnishing paintings? No, my good friends,the reason I'm excited is that the 2nd sculpt picture of my 3-set TikiFarm mugs has just fallen into my hands, straight from the legendary Squid himself! I can't praise this guy enough! He has truly brought the 2-D into the 3-D ! Check out my mug thread here!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20932&forum=12&start=0&159
Go on git! Check it out and tell me your thoughts! It's always great to hear what the experts say!
Paipo!
You Rock! End of story! Don't take up smoking! It leads to gateway behavior that is not tolerated in these United States (maybe not on your end of the earth,tho!) Would love to collaborate someday! Maybe after these mugs and posters are put to bed! Love those new tribal inspired pendants! Master-freakin craftsman! Glad you're a fan of Squid, he's Legend!
TikiShark,
Thank you! The rounder is 18" diameter.
But enough waiting! Time for you to spread some of that inspiration around!Go for it and post that new one you're working on! Guaranteed the TC Ohana will love it! Well, I gotta go post the mug sculpts! Talk atcha all soon!
Here's one I did for the wifey a while ago... "the Visit"

Mahalos all!

Aloha TC Ohana!
After seeing TikiShark's and Paipo's mind-blowing step-by-steps (just to name two),and because I'm home sick and bored,I thought I'd share a bit of the new one I'm working on!
Initial title-"the Land of Pele". It started off as a huge empty 4x4' canvas,blank and white for about 2 months,just sitting in the corner whispering Harassing statements like "C'mon boy! There must be SOMETHING you can paint on me!" and other phrases not suitable for TC...
Well, about last Tuesday, I decided to paint,but,not sure of a subject, went for an abstract background to see what would come of it! I used Winsor Newton inks on a wet canvas and just splashed around and had some fun and ruined yet another shirt!

Seeing I was in a tropical mood, i made some of the brushstrokes into palms.The warm reds, yellows, and oranges got me thinkin about Lava...
Here's a detail of the area that was so compelling....

After that, I smoked a cig and did a sketchbook study of JUST the color blockage to get a rough idea where I was gonna go with this....After that dried, I drew in the landscape, listening to where it wanted me to go.

After that, I began to slowly flesh out the trees and cliffs

The next evening ,I noticed some little jungle spirits that were not in the painting the night before!

Must have been the Menehunes because my ice tea was gone along with most of my smokes!
Anyways, they showed up, and were a delightful addition to the landscape, so I kept 'em!
Here's a little more detail on the lava pool/flow

and here's an extra close-up with more lava and some lighting on one of the jungle spirits. Can ya feel the heat?

The fun thing about this one is that I have a 60% awareness of where it's going, but have no idea how it's gonna end up! I'll try and recover and post more this week. Any suggestions or helpful comments may help steer this piece into a gentle harbor! Thanks for looking!

This looks great. One question - when you are creating the outlines, are you using a brush or pen?

I

Awesome !! I see some tiki outlines among the palm trunks..maybe it's just my imagination..or..they're just tryin' to get out.

...."The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"...Einstein

[ Edited by: IsleConch 2006-10-03 20:51 ]

Hello AlohaStation!
Thanks !
I use DecoColor Oil-based Paintpens.They have a limited pallette,so whatever you put down first on the ground will be the main mood of the piece! I tried this technique a while back with a 5x5' "Last judgement" piece and it worked splendifically! Due to religious restrictions,I won't post that piece,but it is on the website-gallery 10?11?12? Somewhere in there...I'm 50-50 when it comes to painting in the lines or using the paintpens.depends on the time I wanna put into the piece,but the results are close when finished....

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 2:38 PM

I like how you just laid out a background and allowed it to work out from there. I try not to preplan my stuff too much myself, I used to do lots of drawings but I prefer to let things develop naturally these days. I'm a big fan of working intuitively.
Now finish that thing!

Hey Paipo!
Yeah! The intuitive stuff is always the most surprising! With big "SERIOUS" works,the final finishing details are soooo boring because they've already been worked out in the mind.Both ways end in the pleasing results of looking upon a finished handiwork,but sometimes it pays to make it into an adventure.I did some more work on this puppy,a couple hours each night and a story is slowly forming (working title for now is "Pompele'", a twist on Pompeii and Pele.) Well, here's the left side of the painting with a little bit of progress...

Here's a closeup to show you some more of the lighting around the lava and palms....

Then I took a completely different hut than the sketch and began to put it up on the hill....

IsleConch got me thinking about Tikis in the piece, so I decided to put them around the hut, kind of guarding it and all....
And in case you didn't notice, I added some Bird of Paradise marchers along the bottom...Don't know what they are brewing up on the mid-lower-right of this painting, but it should prove interesting.....

That's prolly going to be it until next week! Spooky Luau is Saturday and I gotta finish more of those color-yourself posters for TikiFarm! Aloha folks!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 8:00 PM

Kool progress shots man! :) Love em

LLT,
Oh man your colors are WONDERFUL! Really beautiful stuff. I love your fantastic tiki designs. They're characters, but symbols, but tikis, but moving and have such expression! And the colors....
Hats off to you!
Tiki Shark~

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 11:06 PM

Yeah, I agree - the colours really pop! Tikidelica! I love all the things going on in and around the undergrowth and the pagoda style tiki hut is pretty sweet too.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 11:53 PM

Damn! That is looking really sweet! Bring it with you to the Spooky Luau. GROG want to see it in person.

GROG like.

Aloha fellars!
Hewey,
tis always a pleasure to inspire Ohana down under! Someday, I'd love to show with all youse "Other Crafts" folks!Mahalo!
TikiShark!
Tomorrow's the Happening! Looks like neither of us will have our latest ready for public consumption....Sigh! Oh well, that will be incentive to get invited to future gigs! Man, you'd better keep in touch via TC when you move to the islands! You're new one is going perfectly! You were right on when you predicted that the dark foreground would balance out your bright background.You're a tiki-creating machine! Proud to be showing with the likes of you and Grog,of course! (Sorry GROG, new painting 4x4 feet and my trunk will already be filled with surfboards and easels..Painting won't be able to see GROG! If GROG ever in Orange ,LLT give GROG a FREE studio tour! LLT excited for GROG! Can't wait to leave greasy Thai-food thumbprint on awesome FrankenMoai!)
Paipo!
What are you doing reading? Don't you have more beautiful minerals to carve? Get you to the states so we can all show together-like a TikiPalooka,or something!
Painted a brand new piece(in addition to the Rounder piece-now named "HuHu'" which is Hawaaian for "very angry,offended") of a tiki battle,which I'll post tonight hopefully! Very simple and very fun.A lot less intense than this new one! Stay tuned! And thank you all, you are all so talented and inspiring!

Oh Man! Only just found you here LLT & have spent the last hour and a half drooling my way through this thread. My head is hurting with an overdose of concentrated creativity; better than any acid-trip, literally flashing with colours & freaky faces, oooohwoooowww.....

I guess Im trying to say that your work is just amazing, outrageous & beautiful! And I thought MY head was full of tiki, hahaha

Havent dared to go to the www address yet, will have to save that for tonite...

A huge thankyou for sharing your work. I just want to run out & buy a whole lot of drawing/painting equipment now... Inspiring stuff!
Tama :)

Howdy Tama!
Just checked out some of your carvings...I like the pieces that Kingstiedye owns-especially the Maori with the BIG tongue! That one cracks me up! I cannot wait to get some time and check out more! There must be an ARMY of artists here on TC! I'm moving to New Zealand,man! With you and Paipo and countless other carvers and artists, we could set up a colony! Start working on that and report back....Well, the Spooky Luau was fun! Check out pix of the show at http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20939&forum=17&start=15&27
In the excitement of pre-show energy, I produced 3 more new pieces in the space of 2 days...I will post two of them (the third "Spooky Clown Coat rack" is both disturbing and non-tiki)
The first piece is entitled "the Melee" and it used figures inspired from the Cannibal Shields sketchbook entry (a few posts back)..I decided to add arms ,and to try a brighter palette,kind of a fighting between the happy colors and the savage theme.....

This second one was effortless and just flowed out! I had done a sketchbook entry of this lightning drummer about a year ago, and the red ground on wood seemed like the best color
to let him make his debut!I really like how he turned out! Makes me want to do a bigger one!

Well, that's it folks! Three paintings and the Spooky Luau all in one weekend! That would account for the "vegetative laying around the house and reading" mode today!
I am beat and plum-tuckered out! G'night all!

Wow! You are really churning out some tikis! I love your original painting/drawing style. Looking forward to your next post.

ST

Wonderful Ken!
I'm sorry I haven't been arund much - it's Thanksgiving Long Weekend up here.

Mahalo!

LLT,
I really like the colors on the red one! Still, that surf board with the batle tween the squid and the octopus is a show stopper! Loved seeing it at the Pirate Store/Spooky Luau show! Back to work this week...
Tiki Shark~

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 1:31 PM

More magic from the mind of llt! I like the happy floral cannibals, but the drummer is superfine! The colour wash over the woodgrain background works beautifully. Your surfboard was incredible too - looks like you guys had a great show...

Hahaha, Ill start looking for suitable land for the colony, only can we call it a Village? Im imagining a fairly medieval/debauched thing...

Thought Id better flick this one up here as it came after the LLT 'trip'...

Thanks for the inspiration shot! Tama :)

ALOHA KIDS!
Not much time-must paint and mustn't slack on other stuff!
Sneakytiki,and Shani and Brad-Thanks! I do this for you! Your enthusiasm gives me energy!
Paipo and Tamapoutini-have you two met? Carvers of your caliber should be meeting and trading tips!Tama, that little Maori guy you posted is gonna be so cool! You and paipo have a way of bringing personality and life to lifeless materials! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Well, at the show Saturday, Squid gave me these great wood panels-kinda like the Cannibal piece, so I decided to post my pre-studies on those , as I may be working on these when I get bored with the Pompele' piece! First off, here's an oldie painting I haven't posted called "the Celebration"

and here's those panels-I'll post those when I can get 'em started! Squid rocks-Pure Freshly-Squeezed Genius,he is!

That's it for now-MUST PAINT! TikiShark is painting now at his studio,so I have no excuse!
Bye now!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 10:53 PM

You're a machine.

[ Edited by: grog 2006-10-09 22:56 ]

Awsome stuff man!
Your tiki mugs are going to be out of this world.

C

Aloha Tiki friend! I'll say it again I love your art!! and your kind personality too....

[ Edited by: Clarita 2006-10-10 16:22 ]

Aloha Doug!
Thanks for the props,man! Your stuff always astounds me! great moods/colors/and humor! Hope to meet you sometime soon! I had a chance to say "Aloha" at the Catalina Fest,but sorta chickened out!Glad you like how the mugs are turning out! Can't wait to join the ranks of swell artisticos who have mugs!I'll stop ending these sentences with exclamation points now!
Clarita,
Aloha! (TC-meet Clarita,she's a great lady and artist/sculptor from Buenos Aires,Argentina. Check out some of her work on her myspace site
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=45435110
Her Tiki Tormento & Tiki Toti are pretty awesome! Tiki Toti makes me grin ear to ear!) You should share some of your work in a post here in Other Crafts! Clarita,you are also a kind and cool soul and I'm glad you finally decided to join the Tiki Central Ohana! The Talent Pool here just keeps growing and growing! Here's a picture of some of Clarita's work (the above mentioned Tiki Tormento & Tiki Toti )

Pretty Sweet,eh? Keep your eyes peeled for this gal!
Over and out!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 7:22 PM

Wow, those are nice - I agree, Clarita should get her own thread going so I can ask her lots of questions! Now where's your progress pics LLT?

C

Wow thanks a lot!I'm very happy right now!!!
...but all the topics are locked so...I don't know about that....

Tiki Candle Maker

[ Edited by: Clarita 2006-10-10 20:34 ]

Clarita!
You heard it from Paipo! Get a Clarita Topic thread here in "Creating Tiki" when you get some time! Welcome again! Paipo is one of many brilliant carvers over there in Tiki Carving (that's where all the carvers and chippers and grinders post their work! The "Creating Tiki" area is where all the fat lazy skinny-armed painters,drawers,and the like hang out! Can't wait to see a lot more of your great work!
Paipo!
Get off my butt!Don't you have some rocks to polish or something? Sheesh! I got some freelance stuff I'm working on, but I have been doing a bit here and there on the painting! (Mostly detail work and lighting,no new characters yet...I am planning a bridge over a chasm-always loved 'em in the old King Kong movie! Made me wonder, who the heck would be crazy enough to build a rickety bridge out here in "Eat or Be Eaten" land! I promise to post more progress soon,maybe a couple of days from now!
In the meantime, here's a morsel for ya! A little dream mug I'd love to sculpt some day!
I like the way the bones are just being crammed into his mouth!

Why don't you go harass Brad (TikiShark) :lol: He hasn't posted any progress in a few! Plus, he's got a show coming up in November,so it would be to his advantage to be bugged about kicking out some new and magical stuff! Later!

LLT, thanks for all the cool props, and advise on the art show. You truly are living the Aloha! Talented and a nice guy! I love the cannibal - can't wait to see the colors...

C

I did it, I've post a Tiki candle topic,wrong at tiki carving but there it is,Thanks again LLT,you are a great Cyber Tiki Friend,I'm very glad to be here at this Tiki community,keep up the good vibes!! Greetings!

Rock on Clarita!
the TC worldwide network is Fully Operational! All of you agents will be receiving your orders soon! Well, last night the fever hit and the art vibe filled mt body and forced me to paint! But first,during cig breaks at work,some drawings made the picture clearer in my head. Here's the bridge study....

and here's the bridge painted up so far!

Here's a sketchbook drawing of the hut...

and a panoramic shot of the hut and bridge together! Sorry 'bout the glare!

here's a close-up of the hut area...a little more detail since our last visit

and here's a long shot of my favorite area of the piece with the "Hey,Wait up!" guy running to catch up to his friends!

A closer look at some of the additional progress... "Hey,Wait up!"

Finished a lil' bit more of the tree this clown is climbing....and a little more lighting on the twins!

Well, that's it for now....My hand is twitching and my left eye's jumping! Must go satiate the art
jones! Good day all!

Lost Tiki~
I like this piece more and more! Favorite part is the jungle/boiling lava "Hey wait up" guy. I'm worried though, is he gonna' make it before the lava catches him? The big tiki heads around the temple, are also very very gut level tiki satisfying! The Greens, the greens...
Tiki Shark~

Wow!
A week has passed and only a little bit done! Ah! But what progress as you will see! Two more tikis have entered the painting while I was sleeping! Those Menehunes must be working overtime! I'll have to leave them some food tonight....
well, here's the 5th tiki to enter the land of pele,he's gonna be carved out of stone,and he's so striking that I may name the painting after him. "The Blue Tiki" is definetely on the list of titles now!

In Homage to Holden, I made him into a sort of idol/chiminea. Note the flowers arranged around him and the torches in the foreground....the same torches that those Bird of paradise gents are holding! Hmmmmmm-this is turning out to be quite a mysterious delight!
Here's a shot to show where he's located in the piece.... Sorry about the glare!

You can see that bridge and hut above...Is that Pele's vacation home?
And here's the last shot showing the beginnings of the 6th tiki...Quick! Get a good look at him 'afore he sinks!

More later! Mahalo for looking!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 11:16 PM

GROG hate you bastards who have fun doing your art. GROG's art is endless hours of frustration and brief moments of enjoyment.

Looking good Ken
(Damn you!)

LLT, Wow, this is really coming along great. I can't get over how much I love your energetic style, and the personality put into each tiki. They have this great fresh spontaneous mojo going. So darned alive! what size is this one again?
Tiki Shark~

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 3:10 AM

Yeah I was curious on the size too....it amazes me how much you can zoom in on it and see all kinds of tiny details happening everywhere. The new fire-eater guy looks great - you can't go wrong with stone tikis!

Shoot LLT... That last one you have been workin' on is coooooool. I completely dig it all! The colors, the bridge, the tikis the everything. Full on abbazabba for the eyes!

Catch up to ya later,
Chongolio

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 7:33 PM

That looks awesome man!

Looks kinda like the whole jungle is on fire :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 3330 replies