Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

Your a mad man, Tama.. Really diggin the last 2 pieces.. the inlays look great. Are U gonna put inlays on this last lil' hard ass lookin'dude?

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2008-05-12 02:39 ]

R

Kia ora Tama. Glad to see that the broadband has helped the conversations. This one looks like a keeper to me....can I keep it? Is he going to get butt swirls? More masks in the pipeline? Now you can stop talking to yourself! I was really happy to see your work at Ben's too...very nice in person. That tiny black jade piece of Sherry's was a real treat and AS's as well.

B

Dammit will you quit making this fantastic stuff already! I can't STAND it, I Gottta have it. You're driving me craZY here.

whats next?

B

Tama, Your work is just killer! You and Paipo just smoke the NZ! The NZ Tiki Jam #1 you two did was far out. We should all cyber hook up sometime...Ben & crew, you guys, us here in So Cal, maybe ole Conga up in the northwest, and the folks in the north east, as well as those in the midwest, England, Germany, everywhere...to have one big ass "Rama Lama Chopin Jama" on the same day. I think that would be just fun as hell. :)

J

Tama sez
"Im fighting the urge to keep this little guy.. ugh, .. argh!"

This would be a hard one to let go. I still am in awe at how much perfect fine detail you can get into one of these pieces.

Hey everyone!

Cheers F'Balls: I have deepened the eye sockets* and am considering little(!) inlays. Ill probably make a pair and then decide whether or not they'll stay..

Robin sez: "This one looks like a keeper to me....can I keep it?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one! In all honesty I plan on keeping this one at this stage - Maybe after the next soire' amongst fellow carvers it might go up for sale.. Gotta advertise! :wink:

BenZ: sorry about that. Ill stop now.

Babalu: I'd be happy to host "Tamas Rama Lama Chopin Jama" at this end.. :D

JP: thanks - extra large photo just for you**

--

Here's one that has been finished for some time but for some reason hasnt been offered up for sale (until very recently - check Marketplace for more pics and info..) It is a 'Poria' or parrot leg-ring, used to restrain a live 'decoy' for hunting puposes:

A few old examples in bone and stone:

--

And a little more done on 'Toki/Tekoteko #1':

*FB: sockets..
**JP:(damn, it looks like a train-wreck through my eyes!):

Not quite the end of Tuesdays fun but I dont think there will be any more carving today. See you tommorrow (or maybe later on tonight for you nocturnal/Antipodean Shouters..?)

Tama :)

B

I was not myself when I made that request so DON'T Stop! :lol:
He is looking Better and Better.
I Like Robins "Keeper" idea, I'll trade you one of my keepers for this keeper?? (I DO have a piece I am doing for my own keeper, I think you even asked about it recently.)
Thanks for the Shout last night/this morning.

S

So small so cool. The detail NICE!

BEAUTY!!!

H
harro posted on Tue, May 13, 2008 6:54 PM

Awesome! It's officially my favourite.

Ehara! I need to stop it with that, but awesome job!!

BenZ: dont stop - got it. Cool Shouting with/at you too! :)

Cheers: Seeks, Sneaks and Freaks!(Ehara! Well blow me down..! Dont apologise for dabbling in Te Reo, the survival of the language was touch and go there for a while and only promised revival in my lifetime!)

Harro: you get your own 'Cheers' because your username doesnt have an 'eek' in it! :lol:

--

Captains log. Wednesday May 14th:

A full day of carving planned - none whatsoever achieved. You get those..

A few items of note however: Due to a change in i:net/ph provider I now have a new e:address (TC files updated) - no problem until I came to update eBay records; they wouldnt allow my new 'tamapoutini' email addy because it is too similar to my userID (also Tamapoutini) which apparently attracts phishing/spammers (God damn the phisher-man..!). The upshot was that I had to either change my email address again or alternatively my eBay userID.. so 'TikisByTama' it is.. (almost went with 'TamaZart'.. :wink: )

Other news: ahem, check the badge.. Thats right it says GRAND Member!! Thought it wuz about time I started paying my way; I get my fair share of fun and customers from the place..
Now I know we're not allowed to brag about it but you'll have to forgive this newbie one indiscretion: Im off to browse the GCFofM!! Laters.. :D

--

TTFN from TTT! :)

J

Congrats on your GMship! Welcome to the club!

B

Yeah, Welcome to the Club!
I kinda Liked "TamaZart" myself and I think you should re-think it! :lol:

TikisByTama eh? Now, if one were to follow proper Maori grammatical form shouldn't it by TikiByTama?

Still, the name raises interesting philosophical considerations. Would there be a Tama without Tiki? If not, then the name should really be TamaByTiki!

Whatever, I'll think about it some more and see if I can confuse the issue further. Remember what Alice said!

B

WOW the toki/tekoteko is a pure beauty, amazing.

Bravo,

Benjamin.

Thanks for the GM'bership welcome BenZ and JenZ - is it a secret why... [edit]

Timid: Didnt Alice enquire; "but which came first - the Tama or the Tiki..?" Peculiar-er and peculiar-er..

Thanks Benella: no further progress on that wee fella buthe's probably only got one more sitting to go..

--

Belated Mothers-Day prezzie - Mere earrings:

On their way Mama-Tama!

T :)

[its for your own protection..] :wink:

[ Edited by: tamapoutini 2008-05-16 03:03 ]

B

What a Nice Mothers day present and they are only a little late.
don't go letting out those GM Secrets now! EnjOy

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 16, 2008 4:25 AM

Gorgeous work Tama, very nice :D

Beautiful, Tama.

R
Robin posted on Fri, May 16, 2008 3:17 PM

I still haven't sent out Christmas cards. :lol: You know I love these. Way to take care of mom.

Alice and earrings -

Sorry . . . I guess I got a bit confused about what Alice said. In fact, Alice didn't say it at all . . . it was the Duchess (but Alice was listening) and she said:

"Be what you would seem to be, or if you'd like it put more simply: Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

And the mere earrings for Mama-Tama - lovely dainty little things . . . but shouldn't she also have a full sized version for those times that require some down-home Dogpatch style persuading?

Big thanks for watching: BenZ, Hewey, FreddieBalls, Jadi-Gypsy :wink:, and Timid (now Im confused.. ps: Mama-Tama dont NEED a mere, she has 'a look'.. :o )

Not a huge amount achieved today but theres always tommorrow..

A new 'trad' Hei-tiki Ive been working on (sorry, didnt take many prog shots):

Finished: (currently available on eBay, link in marketplace..)

--

And something a bit different:

These two pieces of pounamu were found by a friend of mine whilst poking around her new building site (smack on top of a historic gold-mining township, now completely gone). Judging by the extremely high quality of the stone and more importantly the state/condition that they were found in suggests that they are whats known as "blast-chips". 'What on Earth is a blast-chip?' I hear you ask..

A blast-chip is a fragment of pounamu that was blown to smithereens with dynamite back in the original gold-rush days of 100-120yrs ago.

There wasnt much of a market for our local jade back in those days and certainly no handy lapidarists sporting the 2-3' diamond sawblades necessary for breaking larger stones down (we can also safely deduce that the original boulder was probably a whopper, at least larger than one or two men could easily carry..)

I gave the advise to keep looking in the same spot as where there are one or two chips, there are generally more - dynamites like that..
These two are destined to become pendants for the two daughters of our friends. But thats for another day - might be an interesting one for the Stone Thread considering the unique state that the stone is found in (not often found in such a rough condition, most usually smoothed by river/beach-tumbling/glacial-action)?

Happy Tiki-fying Everyone!

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Mon, May 19, 2008 3:19 AM

What the!!??? You can't just leave it like that and move onto something else! FINISH HIM! (I was so sure he was going to be a Tang...sniff :cry: )
Those little mere earrings really are something else - really well crafted. Simple but perfect. Nicely documented too!

On 2008-05-19 03:19, Paipo wrote:

What the!!??? You can't just leave it like that and move onto something else! FINISH HIM! (I was so sure he was going to be a Tang...sniff :cry: )
Those little mere earrings really are something else - really well crafted. Simple but perfect. Nicely documented too!

:lol: - The reason he's on hold is because, at this stage at least, Ive decided Id like to keep him. No money in that of course so he'll have to be worked on in my 'spare' time - and you know how easy THAT is to come by. (its a shjt business..)

Only posted those earrings today!! Fingers crossed she likes them enough to forgive me.

T (gotta get me a signature - hows that done then..??) :)

B

Tama, I'm Glad you're Keeping that fellow ....For ME Right???:lol: I understand how those get put on the shelf too.
Love the new lady she's very Desirable!

About your Signature, it's easy. Start off with a Giant picture that takes half the page and follow these directions
" Adding Signatures
You may use a signature on your posts. If you click on the profile link at the top of most pages, you will be able to edit your profile, including your standard signature. Once you have a signature stored, you can choose to include it any post you make by checking the "include signature" box when you create your post. This bulletin board's administrator may elect to turn the signature feature off at any time, however. If that is the case, the "include signature" option will not appear when you post a note, even if you have stored a signature. You may also change your signature at any time by changing your profile. Signatures will only be added onto posts of 80 characters or more.

Note: You may use HTML or BB Code if the admin has enabled these options. "
From the help files.
Missed you this morning!

Hi everyone. Just a small post to cap off a week of 'little' work..

BenZ: thanks for your help - like my new signature*? :lol: (spent some time in between edit-profile and the test-area but blowed if I can figured out.? Might have to wait until "TIKI-JAM #2" at Paipos place next Thursday..

A little Hei-poria:

And just finished,
Itty-Bitty Hei-Tiki:

1 1/8" tall

Thats me until next week most likely; heaps going on/off this weekend! :) :) :)

Happy carving All!

T :)*

[edit] dotting I's, crossing T's.. :wink:

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-05-25 02:01 ]

B

Damn Tama, my lower jaw just hit the key board! What a "great" way to start the day off...thank you!

Aloha Tama!!! As always more Beautiful and creative carvings form you my friend, Mahalo for sharin, Aloha Mooney

Aloha Tama!!! As always more Beautiful and creative carvings from you my friend, Mahalo for sharin, Aloha Mooney

R
Robin posted on Sun, May 25, 2008 6:13 PM

Hey Tama! Been loving the quick drive bys on your thread....appreciate the info on the poria...fascinating...were any in fact made of pounamu? What a cool object (said with a French accent) Anyway...always a pleasure.

Ignore this - conducting a test that cant be done in the test area..

On 2008-05-26 00:34, Tamapoutini wrote:
Ignore this - conducting a test that cant be done in the test area..

Edit: and test results prove what I figured all along - Im an idiot.

Tama (still no sig.) :(

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-05-26 00:37 ]

J

Happy :D Happy :D Happy!

Paipo should be able to help you with that signature next time he visits. Or you can follow the instructions here.

On 2008-05-26 01:02, JenTiki wrote:
Happy :D Happy :D Happy!

Paipo should be able to help you with that signature next time he visits. Or you can follow the instructions here.

The pleasure is all mine J. As a matter of fact I followed the link you added and if my calculations are correct, then you not only showed me how to ZAZZ but were also instumental in helping me to finish off my first post with a...

Thanks again Jen!! :) :) :)

Cheers Babalu - glad you get some enjoyment from my work.

Thanks Mooney!
Thanks also Mooney! :wink:

Robin: My life is a series of quick drive-bys at the moment; drive-by carver, drive-by father, drive-by gardener, etc. I guess my posts reflect this.. Poria were often made from pounamu (nephrite and the softer bowenite or 'tangiwai', which also comes under the term pounamu in Maori vocab) as well as bone and other fine-grained stone.

Tama: congrats on figuring out that signature finally!

Jen: An itty-bitty parcel coming your way soon.. :wink:

--

Captains Log: Monday 26th May 2008
(have you ever noticed the similarities between Star-Trek and Cooks historic voyages?: Captain James Kirk boldly in charge of navigating the starship Enterprise where no man had gone before, the depths of space.. Captain James Cook doing much the same aboard the sailing ship Endeavour into unchartered seas..?) spooky :o

Today saw the Toki-tekoteko through diamond-cloth stage and partially sanded. Im about to gather together a few materials and plonk myself in front of TV to finish sanding this evening & will hopefully even get as far as inlaying the teeniest-tiniest paua eyes Ive ever produced into him. If this happens I should have some finished pics posted tommorrow..

And here comes that signature again..

B

Beautiful stuff as usual Tama and the Signature is Top of The Line. I'm HAppy you finally cracked the code!
HAppyHappyHappy

GUESSING GAME: Whats it gonna be..?

Clues:
This is the first one Ive ever made..
Ive never seen any other TC carver produce one either..

???

(this last might give it away..?)

*Please note: This is a special 'no prize' competition offered to registered TC members only! :wink:

Place of origin please?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 26, 2008 6:28 PM

Ummmmmmm....a rebec?

My guess is a double faced moai like the one in Cleveland.

Tikifreak: good question! A: Hawaiian

G: No

Timid: No

*Im working on the piece as we speak & its probably a dead giveaway now - so Ill post progress piccies tonight when youre all asleep, heehee

Keep them guesses coming.. :D

ok, another clue: that 3rd/last photo is the 'front' of piece..

P
Paipo posted on Mon, May 26, 2008 6:54 PM

"No Prize"? Now there's a term I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time.

Well?

On 2008-05-26 18:54, Paipo wrote:

Well?

For "meritorious service to the cause of TC guessing-games" I hearby pronounce Paipo the winner of no-prizes! Congrats mate - How did I know you would pick it..? (no cheating amongst the Kiwis I swear)

I don't know how it would fit in, but.....................

I know it's way off! I guess I'll see in the morning! Can't wait!

Ohhh, well now I have a better idea for the morning.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies