Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

C

oh your are back!! Beautiful! keep going!

B

I guess I have been Needing this because i felt much better after reading your last post. I'm with AlienTiki in enjoying all the masculinity in your works here and Really love the about face with the wee girl at the end, she has such a beautiful expression, enough to melt the heart of any guy she looks upon. Nice to see you up to your old self.

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Dec 8, 2007 5:38 PM

Aye, they're all great works, Tama!

It might be obvious, but my personal favourite would have to be this one though.
:down:

Very traditional, and yet so... Tamapoutinish!

Fantastic stuff as always!

Cheers Alien, Flynny, Harro, Benella, Clarita, BenZ and Tipua - you guys.. :blush:

*Just a quicky: its 11.23pm and Ive just added a cord to the latest piece. This wide-boi was drawn up and blocked out some months ago and has been lurking in the Box also..

Im coming to understand that 'the Box' is actually more of a womb - a gestation place for Tikis that are drawn up but beyond current skill levels. As time marches on work that was considered 'too hard' is looked at with more experienced eyes and all of a sudden doesnt seem so daunting after all. :lol:

Ill get some better pics in natural light tommorrow.

"Time for bed" said Zebedee.. night all

TTT :)

Beautiful TAMA! Yeah gestation, when u feel frustrated, quit, you'll come back later with better skills or ideas!

R
Robin posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 9:31 AM

Hi Tama. Beautiful analogy...beautiful work. You seem to be in a very productive period. Nice.

Wrote to Steve....he does indeed have plans to visit your studio. He's also been lurking the board for quite some time. Maybe he'll join us here as well.

Your newish direction is manifesting some great work! That change in perception has freed you up. YaY!

J

On 2007-12-10 02:40, Tamapoutini wrote:
...Im coming to understand that 'the Box' is actually more of a womb - a gestation place for Tikis that are drawn up but beyond current skill levels. As time marches on work that was considered 'too hard' is looked at with more experienced eyes and all of a sudden doesnt seem so daunting after all. :lol:

TTT :)

Nice way of putting it, brings it all into perspective, my "box" happens to be a pole barn :lol:

Too much eye candy on this thread, darn it!

T
Tipua posted on Mon, Dec 10, 2007 5:57 PM

Kia ora Tama.

This fella's great!
:down:

He's like a stubby green Marquesan Buddha without pants.
I love his perfect roundness.
Lately I'm getting that way myself. :)

Thanks Sneaky, Robin & JP: standing-womb only at the moment; sometimes the Box is simply there to hold back the crowd (another few newly added..)
Tipua: 'Perfect roundness' is how you could describe my (still non-smoking, lost count of the weeks - 3months?) stature nowdays too. All the better for holding large helpings of Xmas feasting..mmmmmmmm :)

..but as for perfect roundness on this guy:

its all just smoke and mirrors. :lol:

just cant call this one 'finished'; something missing.. Im thinking of borrowing an idea from Paipos Tiki-Trio-hula-hut-fishing-float piece..*

--

...so the big boy inspired a smaller boy (still in prog):

butt-shot for the laydies..

foot-shot for G & P..

--

..and in a roundabout way, inspires another couple (!):
Tangy-Toki

ol' One Eye (natural inclusion! not sure if/how well it may survive the making process..?)

These two are most definately in the Box for my own sanity rather than gestational purposes.

--

Tangaroa: God of the Sea. Provider of food. *(with newly added 'basket of fish')

--

Tikifest! phew

Tama :)

ps: to market.. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 8:50 PM

Beautiful stuff Tama. Thanks for the killer update post. The basket of fish was a great add on. I likee.

"foot-shot for G & P.." :lol:

B

Greetings Tama,
Sorry to have been absent so long. Love this Wide boy as he has a magical thing about him perhaps being absorbed from lounging around in that magical "box of 80" or 76 which it must be by now. Anyway I'm thinking you are seeing that box as Much More than as a plain old box and more like a magical gestation oven where a piece re4sides while he is growing in your mind.
Ole' One Eye is my kinda guy, Send him over here for safe keeping and I'll let him mingle with my "Boxed waiters" for awhile and then send him back with a new look on life (perhaps he will be too happy to get outta here!)
Glad to see you still working your Magik, I Love it.Keep tight and sane!

B

Feels like it is Christmas for my eyes :)
Thanks,

Benjamin.

R

Awwww Tama you have made my day. And the fish basket makes the Tang. We got quadruplets this time.....whooohooo.

T
Tipua posted on Fri, Dec 14, 2007 3:57 AM

You're right Tama, perceptions can be deceiving...

Our Marquesas Buddha ain't that round after all.
His backside is quite on the flat side! :)

I do like his hat, although rather fishy...

Is Tangaroa "born again" perhaps?
If so, may I put my own two cents in?

:lol:

Check out this strange thing:
When I saw Ol' One Eye I was quite amazed....

... at how similar he is to this pic below:

It's a photo of the cast of an unknown Maori chieftain (unknown to me anyway) with beautiful Ta Moko.
I've had this pic posted on my wall for years (the eye is mine by the way!).
Spooky huh?

You latest work is really nice, Tama . . . and I think ol' one eye might be the best of the bunch. Don't keep him in the box too long!

T

Tama, you definitely have an appealing stylistic sensibility. But you already knew that. =)
Recieved the tiki wearing the hook pendant today. Splendid detail, craftsmanship!! All who saw it admired it's obvious quality. Wouldn't let anyone touch it, as some would actually reach for it. Had to tell 'em, "that won't be happenin' today".."Why not"?"Bad Mana"
"Huh"

[ Edited by: Timothy 2007-12-24 23:28 ]

B

Seasons Greetings and happy new year and all that stuff. Now that that stuff is outta the way, Don't you think Ol'One Eye has been "in the box" long enough? I can't wait to see more progress on him so get out the New Year's Resolution Pad and put him on the TOP of the list, Yeah, thats right! Now don't you feel better? I'm Sure Ol' One-I does!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy Happi Happier

B

Might as well pick on you too Tama, gotta wake you guys up down there? Hope you had a nice holiday!

C

uuh! love the fish basket, it seems to me more like he is thinking of fish, like a bubble in a comic book, and loved the butt shot too, nice curls!

KIA ORA TIKI-TYPES! Happy 2008!! I hope everyone had a safe, enjoyable and Tiki-filled Christmas/New Years? The end of '07 just snuck right up and whisked us into several weeks of classic Antipodean summer weather - Too hot for anything much other than eating, drinking, swimming, hanging out and more eating/drinking - still no smoking!! (but eating)

**Big thanks to everyone who follows this funny progression that is my "work/job" and a special thanks to those who take the time to chat; my apologies for not being able to give the time Id like. At least lifes full eh? I promise to bring a tiki-load more this year and believe there might be a bit of a direction change coming before too long (had some very exciting thoughts about wood and bases.. :lol: )

The first Tiki of 2008 (larger figure on right)

(also the first bargain of 08 - a commission for my cousin) She wanted a piece similar to the piece I have been wearing recently. Its quite fitting that the first of 08 be a follow-on from one of the last pieces of 07. The Tiki-beat continues..

Heres wishing us all greater understanding, skill and enjoyment in our endeavours this year - Happy carving all! :D :D :D

Tama :wink:

T

First response to first tiki of 2008 -

Very nice . . . but why is he laughing at me?

T

Ohhh . . . now I know why . . . very first limerick (sort of) of 2008:

The urgent passion of youth is spent.
Don't ask me how or where it went.
But this I know I can say for sure -
It wasn't from drinking too much beer . . .

B

First tiki and especially first masterpiece of 2008 !

Happy new year,

Benjamin.

B

Nice welcome to 2008 Tama, Glad to hear from you.
I Love the Little guys butt better but then I'm not really into guys' butts so it don't matter
Got pix of your w-shop project?

R

Tama! Yahoo! Great to see your work, and the promise of more to come. I love the way your guys stand up on their own, and of course you give those great butts!

I've been meaning to ask....Why don't you sign your work? Or am I missing something.

J

On 2008-01-08 17:31, Benzart wrote:
I Love the Little guys butt better but then I'm not really into guys' butts so it don't matter

As a self-proclaimed tikibutt aficionado, I feel qualified to agree that yes, the little guy's butt is a bit nicer. But(t) frankly, I'm pretty happy anytime a carver remembers to include any sort of definition in the gluteal region. :wink:

Hi everyone. Shaking things up for myself and starting the week with an update on last weeks progress. Ive always found Monday mornings a drag (probably not alone there) and I figure this might be a good way to 'let go' of last week & help prepare for the coming week..

Timid: the Tikis laugh at me constantly! (& I darent let any of my poetry escape the confines my noggin at this stage) :lol:
Cheers Benella!
BenZ: Im not sure whether to thank you or not - every time I think my carving may be getting a little better, I see your latest project and realise that there are still worlds of understanding to go... :o
Robin: Contemporary pounamu carvings mostly go unsigned in NZ (& I cant recall any pre-contact Maori works that were signed - Paip?), apart from larger sculptural works. I can and do sign work with the 'TTT' symbol if requested but would rather leave them 'pure'.. Perhaps a hangover from my distant 'oral-tradition' roots; but I would like to think that at least a few of the people who possess my work would be careful enough to pass on the accompanying knowledge of maker, place of origin and any other significant stories it (or the wearer) has accumulated..
BenZ/Robin/Jen: Id really like to thank you guys for taking the time to scrutinize my butt so closely! Yes, I would have to agree the smaller (my own) tikis' butt is much tighter and more shapely.

--

The butt-appreciators amongst you may remember this little guy from a wee while ago:

This Teko-type figure was started around the same time as Titch (above) but was put back in the Box/the-womb-with-no-view at this stage. just couldnt face it..

but eventual you just have to face up to finishing these things

*Remember the #1 tiki of '08? The one commissioned by my cousin? Well, he was in fact #1 Mk2..

THIS was the first tiki started for '08..

but as this shot reveals, a large crack became apparent in one foot when the piece was about 90% carved - bugger. At this point I thought 'all was lost' and decided that I would need to start again if I were to complete the commission in time..

..but as it happened, the crack was a just a message from the stone, showing a better way to do the feet. It always pay to listen to stones.

'08 #1 Mk1':

Check the marketplace (limited time) for first dibs on these guys @ better-than-eBay prices..!

Go Team TIKI !

J

The swirly butt is nice and fancy, but(t) I gotta say this is my favorite shot of the bunch! I love the little cleavage at the bottom of each cheek. It's that kind of attention to detail that makes you a master, Tama the Tease! :wink:

On 2008-01-13 13:39, Tamapoutini wrote:

B

WOW, I AGREE with jenT, you ARE the Master weather you think so or not and Besides it's NOT what You think, It's up to US to decide Who is the Master! This Teko type guy is Really Excellent and I Want it! I can see why you would put him away long ago and I'm Glad you rescued him and finished him up properly.
Really happy to see you have been carving while you've been "away". Youe # 1MK2 is really top shelf too Especially since HE had to tell you how to finish him up. Now there's something that doesn't happen often.
HappyHappyHappy

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jan 13, 2008 7:58 PM

Beatiful work Tama!
Are these coming out of the new workshop?

A nice start to the new year, especially the little guy with the moko . . . even if he is missing one leg. Got Benzitis?

Aloha Tama!!!
Compliments to a most Excellent artist! Your carvings are incredable! thanks for sharing, Aloha your friend , Mooney

H
harro posted on Mon, Jan 14, 2008 7:02 AM

Beautiful stuff Tama - I don't know which one I like the best!?!!

Keep it up!

F

Now that Teko is out, does that mean "Ol one eye" might be making a re appearance??.
Neat work as usual Tama
Best Regards
Flynny

B

On 2008-01-13 13:39, Tamapoutini wrote:
..but as it happened, the crack was a just a message from the stone, showing a better way to do the feet. It always pay to listen to stones.

...and it shows that you are understanding what they are saying too. Man, you are so good at those! Very impressive work as usual, Sir Tamapoutini.

T

2 tikis in one...

R
Robin posted on Fri, Jan 18, 2008 6:29 PM

Hi Tama, Nice save on those feet....really gives it some more of that 3d. That Teko is a nice departure from your usual style too...you're really stepping out! Cool Beans! You've got a great start on the year.

Thanks for the info on the signature. I guess jewelry doesn't often get signed. The style becomes the signature of the maker. The take on it you offered is in keeping with Maori oral tradition. I'm sure stories will be told about your work for a long time to come.

R.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-01-18 18:53 ]

Aloha Tama!!!
Your carvings are so sweet I wanted to bump it back up.Looking fwd to whats next from you , mahalo for sharing, Mooney

Kia ora Team TIKI! Hope everyone is well.

Jen: well spotted on the butt-crease; I didnt know it was there myself. :lol:
Big Thankz BenZ,Heath, Timid, Mooney (thanks for the bump!), Harro, Flynny (Ol' One-Eye is in the Box and has almost been covered by another layer. Dont worry, he'll be rescued sooner or later), Bowana (it takes a while but 'stone-whispering' is entirely possible. It helps to be very interested in stones, as their conversation consists almost entirely about themselves! :lol: ), Timothy (well spotted: tiki faces in weird/stange places..?), Robin (quote) "the style becomes the signature of the maker": I'd never really thought about it but I guess thats the reason we strive for quality and/or originality; so that our name becomes synonomous with a certain style or quality..(*PS: I was down in Hokitika yesterday & made a point of dropping in to say gidday to Mr Gwaliasi but he was surrounded by several students. It looked as though he was going to busy all day so I didnt disturb him) next time..

Just to prove I havent been slacking off Im back with another full helping. Things have been very busy around our way. Summer is in full swing and the kids started back at school today..(now it feels like OUR holidays have begun) :lol: In fact MrsT & I are about to duck away to Australia for a week or so to attend a wedding, and a short but well deserved change of scenery.. Plenty of sights and happenings on the agenda including a cocktail at:
MELBOURNES HOTTEST (only?) TIKI BAR! (thanks for the site Kev!) I have to admit this will be my first time.. :blush: Wish me luck.. :D

littlies (in prog)

teeny-tiniest one finished (so small it required shifting the suspension hole, as there wasnt enough room in the head)

'Hei-Tiki Hapu' (pregnant)

*Not quite reaching into the mouth to the extent of BenZ latest masterpiece, but inspired by it.. (although I have been told she has an expression of surprise - perhaps at the news of twins or triplets..?)

...and Ive been staring at THIS Pacific Princess for ages without even realising it...

inspired by...

my desktop piccy... (yes, the screen is filty isnt it? as I said, they went back to school today..)

..one of 'The Trouble-Makers' by our own Mr Ruzik - hope thats ok Kinny? Shes pretty far removed once you have a closer look - Ill flick more pics of her when shes closer to being completed..

'Venus de Maori'(? title also in prog..)

What else have I got here..? Oh yeah, I came across this wee gem on the inside cover of a book Im reading: 'Beachcomber: A New Zealand & Pacific Miscellany'

(thankfully, being a carver encompasses beachcombing with the added thrill of Tiki-making!) :wink:

So thats it. Im off to see the Wizard! (Im assuming he's in Oz..?)

Happy TIKI-ing All!

B

WELL. I'll Be Danged, They Ought to take a Rope and Hang me, High from the highest Treeeee, Ansy won't you carve for meeeee.It is Great seeing your pieces grace these pages, I have missed you. Even though I May not have been around my Ownself, I have still missed you. Love the namesake with her look of surprise, But I think the coy look is her mind thinking up a devilish way to tell you that she is pregnant with YOUR Triplets, And is Very happy with it. She seems to think you Know already and thats why YOU Made her this way! :lol: :lol:

I Felt like you Were busy and did not want to share with us your new pieces for some reason though I know thats not right. I Love your new stuff it's just as Tama as Ever and getting better!
HAve Fun going Off to see the Wizard, just make sure the Wizard don't see you doing the wrong things, he might take away somethin you don't wanna lose! Watch dat Wizard...
Take Piccies too so we can see the Only Tiki Bar in Melbourne.
I'm sorry if you heard the bad things I said about you. IF you didn't hear Nutthin' then I don't know whatcher talkin about! :lol: :lol:

WOW!
Haven't had time to troll around much,but decided to take a gander at what Tama had going and !!!!!!!!!!!
What a surprise!
Thanks for loving the work enough to be inspired by it! a Pacific Princess!
Very Cool!Too Cool! Super Cool!
Thanks for the honor of letting me light a small creative fire in your brain!
Another successful Mutual Inspiration Pact story!
and those littlers wee hei tikis are da BOMB!
you and Paipo deserve to be Carvers Laureate for Kiwi Land!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 11:15 AM

You are a machine!! Excellent stuff. GROG like.

R
Robin posted on Tue, Feb 5, 2008 11:20 AM

What a line-up! All of them wonderful as usual. Tiny Tikis the Hei-/Tiki Hapu... I think she looks sweet and happy, and the rendition of the Pacific Princess... she was begging for pounamu ..glad you noticed finally! To bad you missed Steve..oh well, next time. Have a great time in OZ. Safe journeys.

Gidday. How the Tiki are ya? Long time no post huh.?

I trust all are well and carrying the torch of Tiki high! same ol story around these parts; too much tiki and not enough wiki.. Although it was good to have a few beverages and a yak with Paip and a couple of other stone-chippers last weekend.
Work continues on preparing the new garden/future building site and we have been taking advantage of the cooling weather to get out and do some donkey work. Ive just gotten over a week of hell while my poor jaw recovers from a "stubborn" tooth extraction - the word just doesnt do the pain justice, haha

BenZ: the last time you posted here was in disbelief at how long it had been since my last... doh!
LLT: No progress on the lil Pacific Princess but you'll be the first to hear. Glad Im not gonna be hauled off to court for breach of intellectual property rights! :lol:
Cheers Grog and Robin!

--

Since my last post MrsT and I dumped the kids for 10days and headed to sunny Melbourne. Awesome city is all I can say; great times. Among other things we made sure to check out a few galleries and museums (with me on constant vigil for Pacific/Oceanic exhibits). A couple of highlights was a display of canoe, paddle, sail etc types from all over Polynesia/Melanesia/Micronesia, in the Melbourne Museum:

Is that a slit-gong in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me..? Melboune Arts Centre

and sure enough, a cold soothing brew (free no less!) to end the pilgrimmage to MELBOURNES HOTTEST TIKI BAR!

,luckily catching them on their first day of reopening for the year. Had a good chat with the proprietor and left him my gift of an Air New Zealand Hei-tiki for the bar.

--

--

Back in Aotearoa and back to the grind:

A recently finished Hei-Tiki/Toki:

Another recently finished piece; a cute lil traditional Hei-tiki:

'Hei-Toki Tangaroa':

And last but not least an in-prog piece:
dry:

wet:

backlit:

Keep on Tiki'en!

R
Robin posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 7:08 AM

Hi Tama. I remembered today how I used to walk around at art shows when I was a kid and in the arrogance of youth think ' I could do that.' This of course before I did anything. When I was browsing your thread today (now that I have a tiny bit of experience with Pounamu) I thought about the brevity of your designs that say so much and aren't really brief. The nuances and the skill, experience and vision it takes to get there. Humbling and inspiring. Very beautiful carvings Tama.

Glad you had a nice trip and are enjoying your new and soon to be spaces. Bummer about the tooth!

R.

B

Wow I can't believe you come and post your beautiful Stuff on the day I finally feel up to getting on the computer ypu're a sight for sore eyes. Really nice stuff here as usual Tama. I Really love how this one promises to look

This girl looks Sweet and I think her surprise is fro just finding out that You are the father, Ha :lol: :lol:

If I inspired Any of that I feel proud, she is Beautiful as Usual sir!
Glad to see you have been busy. I am Jealously eying all that Beautiful Ponamu you get to work with, makes me want to get all wet and raiseny fingered.. Soon I think, After I get caught up.
Thanks for posting today Tama.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-03-12 12:18 ]

S

Wow! very beautiful stones you have going on there.
Me Like.

C

Oh great new ones! Love the LLT one :), greetings!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies