Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

Hey gang.

LLT: Your preoccupation with ballon-knots is a little disturbing... but understandable(?)

Paipo: (quote) "I want him(?)! Maybe by the time it's finished I'll be able to afford it!" (unquote)

• Maybe by the time Ive finished it Ill be commanding twice the price.. :lol: First refusal is all yours mate. 'Special-morning-lucky-price for you, handsome Sir' (Indo, Malaysian sales pitch..)

Gman: Thanks for your comps mate. No the box just gets ever fuller; the Spirit Canoue is still paddling around in there somewhere - You think I should throw a Croc in there too..? Sadly due to geography/climate/isolation (& good fortune), we dont get Crocs down here. For this reason theyve never really held much attraction for me. I can understand how they might make an impression if you lived in daily contact/fear of them though.. Bash a couple for me dude!

Big Thanks JohnnyP, Robin and BenZ: (I might just have to take a 'reminder' shot of all the 1/2 completed stuff in the Box, just to torture myself and invite a bit of public ridicule)

No carving whatsoever this week; thats a first. Ill have to put my nose to the grindstone next week or we'll be going hungry. Stay tuned..

Thanks for stopping by everyone.

TamaTheT :)

B

Yo, Tama the T as in "Mr T"? Do we need to mount a search party to find what you have done with Our Tama? Me thinks you might be deliberately shirking your carving duties for some reason. Are you being held prisoner in your own box of 80 these days? I know you have construction going on, you just had a nerve wracking show and Winter's full upon you, and, and and we just want you to be OK. I know, it Must be that Pesky Paipo, is he hanging around bothering you and stuff? What ever it is we'll fix it. Just show us the stuff Mr Jade. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 7:39 PM

On 2007-09-04 16:06, Tamapoutini wrote:

Hmm, not a bad start...but I feel that it needs something else?

when are we breakin this baby in?

those last couple sketched guys will have me checking back on you daily. beautiful work on all the recent stuff, Tama. it's always nice to feel those first changes of the season, huh? it's actually starting to cool here (finally). can't wait to see more, man!

On 2007-09-08 12:47, greentikipat wrote:
those last couple sketched guys will have me checking back on you daily. beautiful work on all the recent stuff, Tama.

Thanks GTP! Actually you hit upon one of the reasons I am reluctant to show pics of 1/2 finished work; I hate to think there are good people such as yourself, waiting for me to get my act together.. 'Starting' things is an illness with me, or maybe its finishing that is the problem.? Either way, I dont want to disappoint anyone but tend to work on whatever piece the Universe/Ancients/Inner-Selfishness wants me to.. :wink:

Cheers for that piccy Paipo; Id change the plans if I thought Mrs T could be convinced.. Im totally planning something along those lines for the new workshop/Tiki-Hut though!
As for the new structure, Ive given it the first coat of stain 'Tangaroa Brown' - no thats a lie/joke, its called 'Treehouse', yawn.. :)

(wish it was called Tangaroa Brown..)

T3 :)

B

Thar be some Mighty Nice timbers maitey. I see Lots of things happening in that room

Hi all.

Time for the weekly carving update: none - again. :( Heading towards three weeks now with no grinding; probably the longest stint in 4 years. Most of my time this past week has gone into the back yard, painting, digging & shifting a shed or two to make way for another earthmover/digger coming this week. Thankfully Ive done all I can, & now its up to hydraulics & sheer tonnage to do some heavy work. Looking forward to kicking back and watching the progress from the comfort and warmth of the workshop window.

Havent forgotten the BenZs and Tipuas and any others I have forgotten (??) - Im feeling BAD(good) & aiming to kick a few a few Tiki butts in the next couple of weeks. Talk soon guys.

Something to show soon for sure; bear with me.

Tama :)

B

Hang in there, we're in with you for the long haul!

R
Robin posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 7:32 AM

Thanks for the update Tama. Well...this break will probably turn into a fire in your Tiki belly! Can't wait,no pressure as usual. :) Nice looking addition there Tama.

C

Is hard to imaging you having ,sometimes, the same problems I do(starting stuff or finishing it), because your work looks so disciplined, Is good to know you are human, don't worry, you will finish everything for sure! sometimes we just need to do something else to re charge,and come back stronger,best wishes!!

J

On 2007-09-16 03:26, Tamapoutini wrote:
Im feeling BAD(good) & aiming to kick a few a few Tiki butts in the next couple of weeks. Talk soon guys.

Something to show soon for sure; bear with me.

Yay! Tiki butts! :lol:

On 2007-09-16 11:54, Clarita wrote:
Is hard to imaging you having ,sometimes, the same problems I do(starting stuff or finishing it), because your work looks so disciplined, Is good to know you are human, don't worry, you will finish everything for sure! sometimes we just need to do something else to re charge,and come back stronger,best wishes!!

Thanks Clarita. Youre right on all accounts; a bit of a break has done the world of good and its time to find that self-discipline again (not easy; VERY human!haha)
*Im afraid the 'start-sickness' is still with me too..

Thanks BenZ and Robin; two fine and understanding comrades!

Jen: Butt seriously.. :wink:

Managed to keep the 'sickness' at bay just long enough on Monday morning to do some actual work, on an actual piece, that was actually already started.. which is just the sort of thing I should be doing - actually.
Yep, two mouths. Good day.

*..and than the sickness overtook me again! Started a new piece. couldnt help it.. aarrrgh!! sob! whats wrong with me..??? :cry: :lol: :wink:

ok. So she's another made from a naturally shaped pebble (probably more of a cobble). Not the greatest colour in the world but a very cool shape & proportionately perhaps the thickest Ive carved.

I have tried to retain as much of the natural surface as I can, and at she stands, all the 'skin' on the lips, head, nose, hands, elbows/arms and most of the back is still unaltered. My initial plan was to leave the back au natural, but the more I look and turn her round, the more I want to exploit this extra depth and push/arch her back in... (and give her a decent butt, but. She-butts ok Jen?)

What can I say? Im a sick man. She'll either get tossed on the pile or finished soon.. :cry: :D

TamaTheTooconfusedtoevenunderstandmyselfanymorehaha :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 4:31 AM

please talk to Gman about this last girl.....

don't cut her back....leave her as is :/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-09-18 11:53 ]

B

Me Me Me, talk to MEMEME First.
NAh, that wouldn't be cool to do to my friend, but on the Other hand she is gonna be a Heart Breaker for sure, I can Tell. Don't know what it is about her, the stone itself which I think is Awesome, or the tat on the lip, or her Aw-Natural look, or just what, but I know she has an effect on me and probably GMAN too as well as anyone probably who looks into her eyes.
I KNOW of this sickness of which you speak/suffer. My own "Box of 80" has grown considerably.(I'll trade you yours for mine?) Just do whatever it is you feel needs ,scratch that, whatever you feel you WANT to get done and let the rest worry about themselves. At least you're back to work and thats all that matters.

J

On 2007-09-18 01:42, Tamapoutini wrote:
(and give her a decent butt, but. She-butts ok Jen?)

Well, I prefer he-butts, butt ( :roll: ) I'm not beyond visually appreciating a finely formed she-tiki butt.

Great pebble-tiki, Tama, but why all this talk about decent butts . . . its the indecent ones usually get the attention.

Hey gang - No progress on the new pebble piece Im afraid. It was on the cards but Im just not sure where Im going with her just yet. Decided not to alter the back any further. After the third thwarted attempt at carving suspension holes and some niggling deliberation, I finally conceded that perhaps there arent meant to be any.. I kind of like the idea of a small 'alter' piece, perhaps housed in a carved wooden surround of some sort & able to be lifted out for fondling purposes..? Not sure yet.

Jen/Timid: I never expected my work to end up the butt of such appreciation! :lol:

Ben: Sorry to hear that your 'Box of 80' has grown - mine has just decreased by one... :wink:

'Teeny-Tiny Tang' in Australian Black nephrite, just over one inch tall..

Sorry it took so long mate. After a bit of head-scratching and several months I finally worked out how to get those hands to sit 'upon' the belly Ben. Managed to add a few fingers too.. :wink:

Hope Sherry likes it! Check PM.

Just had the message that the digger arrives tommorrow! Dig, dig, dig...

Amazing work. Bravo!

B

Holy COW, This Tiny Tang is Terribly Terrific and well worth the wait. How did you put all that detail into such a small stone?
HappyHsappyHappy

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 3:24 AM

Cheers Tama! I had forgotten about the wee-Tangs This little one is choice!

-G

i really dig cobble stone tiki. i think the color looks ood. what is it about the color you don't like, tama? i also like the natural back. the natural back is one of the things i really like about the similar one i have.

On 2007-09-16 03:26, Tamapoutini wrote:

Havent forgotten the BenZs and Tipuas and any others I have forgotten (??) - Im feeling BAD(good) & aiming to kick a few a few Tiki butts in the next couple of weeks. Talk soon guys.

Well, I wouldnt exactly call it a butt-kicking week but I did manage to get the wee fella done. Glad you like it BenZ - Tipua, you're next.. week. Thanks for your support Gman & bullet!

No other carving this week as there has been too much other activity (and noise) going on around the house - see my 'new workshop' thread if youre interested in mud, holes, rocks, etc..

This probably belongs in Collecting Tiki, but I thought Id share my latest aquisition. Hastily grabbed with a BuyNow at a very reasonable price, it is a carved waka huia or featherbox (the huia are a now-extinct bird whos black/white-tip tailfeathers were worn in the hair of Maori men, seen in many old portraits). The waka huia were traditionally up to a meter in length & hoisted with ropes up into the rafters of the carved house. Besides huia feathers, they were often the receptacles of pounamu heirlooms or other valued objects, 'tapu' to the lower-classes.

This piece was carved in 1973 (same year I was made) by a carver called Len Taylor. I cant say Ive heard of him before but I think its safe to say that this wasnt his first piece. Thought you wood chippers might get something out of seeing it..?

The figures at each end are open through the armholes to allow a suspension rope..

Lid..

Underside..

Its still a little dusty so Ill get some better (non-flash) pics soon - these dont do it a lot of justice. Good score!

T :)

B

Excellent Score for sure Tama, you Lucky dog! Talk about being at the right place at the right time, you surely hit that one just right. This Feather box is really beautiful and it's amazing it is so Young. I would Love to have the ability to carve one of those difficult pieces. Perfect treasure for your new shop, you gonna hang it from the rafters, or keep it down where you can enjoy it? More pictures, YES we Need More pictures!

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 3:18 AM

On 2007-09-20 22:14, Tamapoutini wrote:

Well, I wouldnt exactly call it a butt-kicking week but I did manage to get the wee fella done. Glad you like it BenZ - Tipua, you're next.. week.

That's cool Tama, take your time. Watching your home renovations show on your other thread, I can barely believe you have time for anything else! I can only concentrate on one thing at a time so I'd be hopeless renovating, carving, AND running a business! The mere thought of it makes me tired! :lol:

I really like your pebble-girl!

For whatever reason it reminds me of this ancient figure:

(must be the hands)

The book I got the pic from (Maori Myth and legend by Margaret Orbell) says s/he's Matuatonga, who ensured the fertility of the kumara crop on Mokoia Island and the lands around Rotorua (big job!).

Have you ever tried your hand at any big stuff? I bet you'd do well on a block of marble!

Good work on the waka huia. I've seen some great ones in Te Papa museum, and yours is up there with the best.
What you don't see much of (and probably for good reason) are bone-boxes (burial chests/coffins). They can be quite creepy, but I really love many of the designs. They can be quite odd indeed. Some of the older ones can be quite Hawai'ian in design. Reminiscent of your maori/hawai'ian hei tikis! The one below isn't Hawai'ianish, but cool none-the-less...

BenZ: If anyone has the ability to carve an outstanding waka huia its you! Apart from genuine old pieces, the majority of these you will see are really simple/crude knock-offs. There are always a few genuine artist-carvers out there who do produce high-quality/knowledgeable work, but oh man start thinking thousands instead of hundreds... :o
Hope youre ok B, havent seen sign of you for a couple of days? Surely you dont sleep or take weekends off? :wink:

Tipua: You missed out 'father of a 5yr old daughter/3yr old son and partner of a MadWoman!!' :lol: Yeah, it can be tiring at times but my life is all the richer for it.
I can see the resemblance of the latest pebble-tiki to the kumara God statue (one of those was unearthed in my hometown during digging work on a school playground in my youth - simple crop talismans to magically aid crop yield). Ive always liked those things & have always planned to make one one day. I was drawn to Saxotikas boulder tikis because they reminded me of them.
Big stuff? Ive only dabbled with 'going large' with limestone. I really enjoy being able to walk around a piece and have a bit of a workout while carving. The new/improved workshop will have a covered outdoor area for larger stone & wood working. :D
Im also drawn to those bone boxes (waka tupapaku), images of them anyway..haha As there name suggests these boxes were the final resting place of the bones of higher born Maori. After death the body was either buried or left to the elements for a year or more. The remains were then gathered, cleaned and painted with red/brown oche and finally ensconced into the bone box (sometimes just the skull - cool Humpty Dumpty Tiki boxes..) The main reasons that not many survive today is that they were often then hidden away in caves, standing upright, dug into the ground via a carved spike. These often rotted away over time & the box then fell onto its side - where one side was rotted out. This was/is the state of many that survive today. Sad but true.

More waka huia pics: The first shot shows the freshly waxed lid and the difference from the unwaxed - probably the first clean its had in 34 years!

Hopefully a bit of carving this week, but Im easily distracted..

Happy carving all!

Tama
That mini Tangaroan is gorgeous, what a piece.
Thanks for posting the pics of the carvings too, I love seeing all the intricate designs...it gives me many ideas!
Yeah, I think Benz should DEFINATELY make one up to add to his resume!

Yeah, I'm digging your tang too! I wish I could afford one of your pieces someday! They are all awesome.

Craig

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 8:41 AM

Hi Tama, Thanks for the pics and historical references to the Waka Huia. It is a beautiful carving. With so many lost traditions, it is nice to see it being carried forward.

The Tiny Tang is really a strong piece at one inch. Capturing so much with so little is masterful design work. That one makes me a bit jealous Ben!

The pebble artifact piece shows how well you know and consider your material. You really found and drew the image from this stone...not to sound overly dramatic or anything, it made me think of the way Michaelangelo's slaves struggled out of the marble. It's a real treasure.

Your work and images just keep getting better and better.

Big congrats on the ground breaking.....wow....broadening of the horizons for sure.

Best

Robin

B

Yes the tang is going to be AWESOME around My Sherries neck and she Loves it after seeing the Picture. we'll get pictures, I Promise,.
Thanks tearful Tama the talented .
More later.
Ben

B

The Postlady brought a package form Tama the Tease today and I have to tell you that little Tang is just Really Remarkable and Unbelievably Small. I don't see how he carved it, the detail looks smaller than the burrs can get. Only our Tama the terrible could pull this off. Sherry is gonna be SO Happy, I just can't wait. Thanks

B

Hi there, where you hiding ?

Hi everyone. Its true, I have been hiding out a bit.. Sorry my posts have gone a little cold but Ive been taking a bit of a break from carving and really havent produced much worth showing. Work continues on the property, albeit in fits and starts in between the downpours..

Part of the reason Ive not been around lately is due to the fact I have recently given up smoking! Almost two weeks without a puff!! Supposedly very good for the health, but I must admit that breaking such a constant/frequent habit cold-turkey isnt easy & does strange things to a man. As a consequence, Ive found it best to keep a low profile, indulge in a bit more dog-walking/biking and to break up my regular routines. Production is suffering a little but Im finally getting the chance to attend to those many little jobs that never seem to get done. :)

As we are soon to be coming into our summer tourist-season Ive decided this year to try my hand at selling wholesale & have started fishing around for shops/galleries who are interested in dealing this way. Ive never really relied too much on the tourist market, focusing more on Kiwis them/ourselves.
'Production' is already underway - (although to the untrained eye it probably just looks like any other day in the workshop.. :lol: ) One thing I will say for giving up smoking, boy oh boy do I have some extra (nervous) energy...........zing! Once I learn to focus on the grinding wheel without the help of my cigarette (held in the teeth - helps 'centre' your vision) the Tikis will be flying!

Cheers Surfintiki, Tikifreak1, Robin, Benella!
BenZart: Wishing you well friend; hope you get your mojo back soon. *take your time on sending those goodies - a bigger box is easily arranged.. :wink:

First 'smoke-free' Tiki (I sure hope the chubbiness isnt a portent of things to come..)

--

So if I disappear, theres a good chance Ive had to run up a mountain or bike to Christchurch (250miles) to burn off surplus energy so I can get some sleep. Alternatively I could be hiding under a blanket in the darkest corner of the workshop, snarling at anyone who comes near.. Either way, Ill be back - and hopefully a better Tama for it.

TTT :D

H
Heath posted on Fri, Oct 12, 2007 9:47 AM

damn double posting

[ Edited by: Heath 2007-10-13 08:55 ]

H
Heath posted on Fri, Oct 12, 2007 9:48 AM

Hey Tama! Good on ya!
I went through the quitting thing in June, I feel for you!
Excellent first "smoke free" carve, looking forward to seeing lots more.

T

You go boy! I quit dec 12 2005. It's really a good thing. Even though there isnt a day i dont think about it. But hang in there.

Thanks guys - well done to you both too! Tiki-God help us.. :wink:

T

I smoked for fifteen years and quit 3 years ago and I still crave one now and again. It does get easier though, the cravings become fewer and farther between. I chewed through some tooth picks that first week.

The smoke-free Tiki is a beaut. Can't wait to see smoke-free tiki #2.

spelling edited

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-10-13 13:14 ]

B

First i LOVE the Chubby lady! Second DON"T Stay away SO LONG. Third and Should be FIRST, CONGRATULATIONS onn the "SMOKE-FREE" days, It takes a lot of Guts to quit, but MORE Guts to Tell everyone "I QUIT!!: Way to go, good on'ya Mate and all that stuff. Just know that being s 'Quitter" myself, I am highly PROUD of your effort and at such a young age! You'll begin feeling better after the first 30 days. Sounds like this quit may be the Keeper too! HAPPYHAPPYHAPPY and More HAPPY.
Other news is that Sherry absolutely LOVES Her 1" Tang. I Planned to be wearing it occasionally but it AIN"T Gonna happen I was Told. "Go make yerself one if you wanna wear it!.happyhappy??
Jest build me a little room on the side of your work shop and I'll Move right down there so you can teach mee right.
Glad to see you back again (Like I have room to talk!.:lol: :lol:

C

Oh you've quited smoke? Congrats men!!
I smoke like a chimney, I really need to quit too, but as you say is not easy, I hope you are doing well, and didn't kick any innocents yet! You really are going to come back stronger! I didn't realize how much (after this terrible time of course, but is going to be proportional to the suffering right now the stronger later, I guess)that's really great! best wishes Tama! Hang in there!

R
Robin posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2007 7:37 AM

Congratulations Tama. You'll never regret quitting....new smells and tastes are the first big bonuses, then comes the better breathing, also very nice.
Smoke free Tike looks pretty calm! That's a good sign. Thanks for posting the pics....always a treat to see what you're doing.

Dear Tama,
Happy to see some of your work again, you´ve been an inspiration to my carvings. I´m happy to know that you quit on smoking, I´m smoking again after three years without doing it, not the best example, but I wish you luck with that matter. Your Pounamu carvings are just amazing, every post is a little bit to learn.
Thanks for the images.
Hugs,
Sebas

Tama and congrats on Quitting smoking!!!keep it up my friend!
Your carvings are excellent it makes a guy have shortness of breath and I dont even smoke. Thanks for sharing and keep up the work to not smoke ,Aloha my friend, Mooney

B

Howz the smoking coming sir Tama, I'm really hoping you are still smooke free ut can understand if not. Come on back and show us what you been doing?

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 19, 2007 8:48 PM

Gorgeous box Tama, nice score there. Love the new fatty too :D

Cheers Alien, BenZ, Clarita, Robin, SebasU, Mooney and Hewey! Big Thanks to those ex-smokers who offer their support!! :D
Three weeks and counting - Ill label myself 'quit' at 12months...

Tipua - you're out of the Box and on the Bench.. :o

This fella was recently finished and although he possibly kind of maybe had a home to go to, actually ended up elsewhere.. wha?

Ive come to the conclusion that that the days of thin/slab hei-tikis is over for me; possibly a bit the way some of you feel about 'faces on logs' :lol: Some of you will know my pursuit/struggles with 3-D, well I think the lessons are finally being learned. Problem is, 'the Box' is full of nice-but-thin designs that now somehow look 'wrong' to the eye, doh!

And this wee sweetie, begun some months ago but only recenty finished. I cant remember whether beginning pics of this were posted. Transitional/mid-plump period :lol:

Available at usual outlEts.. :wink:

TamaTheTrying-so-hard-not-to-think-about-sm...argh!

J

I think you've got the 3d thing dow real well. Looks great.

H
Heath posted on Mon, Oct 22, 2007 9:15 PM

Hey Tama,
I'm willing to make the sacrifice and help you with the one's that look 'wrong'.
I know, I know, you couldn't possibly ask anyone to do that, but dammit, I'll do it!
Yes it'll be hard!
Yes it'll be tough!!
Hell, I may even have to take a lapidary class or two, and buy some tools, but I'll do it!
Anything for you!

Well, I'm not sure my wife will let me take any classes or buy anything right now, but I'd think real hard about it!

R
Robin posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 6:33 AM

Yay Tama! Flatties are out fatties are in! Great to see some of your work. Looks like the 3d thing is really working out well. Plump and clean. Nice. I love the shape of the homeless(?)one...especially the head and eyes.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies