Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

S

Very Nice!

J

On 2008-08-06 00:46, Tamapoutini wrote:

Was this image my birthday present? :wink:

Tama - I am going to set up an automated message here

"fantastic again T-man"

Do you ever have stuff ups?

Yes - and I want to see what is in that box now too!!

KS

Tama, looking great as always!! I think you need to start using your opposite hand??

[z]Paipo![/z]: Change of plans, sorry I missed you. We are most definately overdue for a yak and a few jars. Might need a walk to work up a thirst first?
*ps: I throw those really nice pieces into the box just to confuse & annoy you.. :lol:

Kinny: thanks Bruddah! And Happy Birthday! Damn, its been so long since I fell behind on your work & I know Ill need to pull an all-nighter to catch up, but the day/night is coming.. Miss you :cry:

Clarita: I let you and Ben share the spotlight on the illuminated Tikis for the time being, but its definately on the cards for the future. Id probably steer clear of electricity & go for illumination from within with a candle. For the moment I can at least hold them up to the sun though.

JP: A confession; the pieces in the box are the ones that are 'in progress' but going so well that Im afraid to carry on in case I bugger them up! :lol: As skills increase I occasionally work up the nerve to do a bit more. Most have been seen before but I might take a reminder snapshot one of these days.

Seeks: Cheers!

JenZ: Butt wait, theres more..

KShaman: stuff-ups? of course, but they go in a different box.. :lol:

TFreak: funnily enough, Im ambidextrous! :wink:

A few littlies recently finished:

And a teeny-weeny pair of Tiki earrings (7/8th"):

Thats it for another week gang. Hopefully there will be a bit of time to catch up on what youve all been doing over the weekend, just never enough hours in the day..

Happy carving All!

B

Man-Oh-Man,TAMA, pekapeka, TikiToki, by now my mind's tumbling out of control again, you need warning signs on the front door to your thread! :P
And now fingernail sized Hei-Tiki Earrings? Hell the name is even Bigger than they are.
Think I'll just Stay right here so I won't miss the next show!
Beautiful stuff.

THOSE ARE SOOO SMALL! Wow. Jeez. Nice.
Balls out cool on the Tiki-Toki...literally!

Big thanks for your comps Surfin'T!

Pekapeka, hei-Tiki/toki? - Ive got a new one for you BenZ: Koropepe!
This is the only spiral-form carved by Maori in pounamu and so Im guessing the 1000's of such pendants produced nowdays were inspired by them (+ strangely humanoid pekapeka in this pic):

'Koropepe' (mine wont have drilled suspension holes, but will be bound between the head/beak instead):

Continuing with this today.. :)

J

On 2008-08-08 00:23, Tamapoutini wrote:

How did I miss these? Oh, since they match my necklace, they must be my birthday present, right?!? :lol:

B

Thanks for the Koropepe lesson for today Tama, You wonder where those Ancients were getting their inspirations from besides the Fern trees and beginnings. They kept twisting and re-arranging things, did they have peyote back there?
The "Humanoid" pekapeka looks different from yours and probably very different from the norm back then too. They didn't worry about losing the sweet Flowing lines by adding the humanoid features but they should have me thinks. Strange guyz those ones.
HappyHappyHappy

Kia-ora Tama ,
the Koropepe looks grand , puts me in mind of those 'book ended double headed' carved panels whose name escapes me .
Aye ehoa , great to meet you and the family , as you say too short a visit .
Next time I will be better organised time wise .
Hey , I met a mate of yours . Kevin, when we were working up on the roof .
Small world huh :D .
gotta go , the card is runnung out .
Hope to buy a laptop and get on to mobile broadband , next week .
If the snow lets me get over the pass .......

Cheers all,
Jock

JenZ: those earrings would have made a nice match for your pendant, unfortunately theyre sold. Besides which, I already gave you your butt-day prezzie!

BenZ: Although Im sure the Maori wouldve made good use of peyote, the closest they came was chewing on kawakawa (lofty peppertree) leaves I think - I dont think they even bought the kava plant (proper) with them from the Islands..(?) I seem to recall reading that the koropepe derived from the eel form. Cheers for your props!

Toka: Say gidday to that rougue for me! A free man now I hear.. :wink: And yes, you do need to hook yourself up with i:net capabilities - what else is there to do in Fox?

Finished 'Koropepe':

And one to be finished next week:

Have a good weekend All!

B

Tama, Your Koropepe really finished up regally, Very Sweet!
Love your new guy too. It's SO Cool to watch him just Step right out of the slab like materializing out of a magic time machine or "Tama Machine" to be more correct. No Muss no fuss, No funny bad words, no Water splashing around, no Raisin fingers, and no hollering at the bloody phone interrupts, Just a neat and clean entrance like slowly taking the wrapper off a beautiful piece of chocolate. Mmmmm.
Thanks

On 2008-08-16 03:58, Benzart wrote:
..No Mess no fuss, No funny bad words, no Water splashing around, no Raisin fingers, and no hollering at the bloody phone interrupts, Just a neat and clean entrance like slowly taking the wrapper off a beautiful piece of chocolate. Mmmmm..

:lol: :lol: :lol: *Thats why youre the Master Ben - you know this carving business SO well! Its really nice to know that someone understands! :)

Whoah Tama! The Koropepe is fabulous. An improvement over the original! I like the little dangley thing in the eye socket, it's all so flowing.
Benz/Tama, I wanna hear some of those funny, bad, strange words!

TAMA!!!
Damn, that Koropepe looks awsome!
everything about it rules! i like the jag-like part in the head.
GReat Stuff!

B

Surfin Did I mention "Secret" Funny words?

Kiora Bro

Talking about navigating...check this out! Just finished it for the upcoming exhibition in Sydney....thought I better show the "master" (and the world I guess). This is my first go at a little green man (or very dark green in this case) Although new he is actually old as you can see by the beard, the trippin eyes and tounge are Synthetic Opal from germany)Hope all is well in the "Wild West". cheers Jas

B

"And one to be 'finished Next Week' he says"

It looks Almost finished now and Sweetly so! Another Tama Piece to drool over, izzit done yet?

Tweedie3d Neat name, and your Old Tiki face is cool and from his looks even though he is your first Jade, I'm betting there are many other carvins and enough I'm sure to start a "Tweedie3d" thread of their own. Welcome to TC what can you tell us about yerself??

Cheers:

SurfinTiki: The 'little dangly thing' in the koropepes 'eye socket' is actually the tongue inside the beak, but I can see how/what youre seeing - hey, its all interpretation isnt it? (I hope this hasnt put you off buying it..?) :wink: Bad language? those are *creative incantations * that assist in production..

Duddy: Thanks mate. Good to see you busting out with some paintings over there in Other Craft. Thats another project on my 'to do' list at this stage. As frustrating as it is I deliberately stop myself from going into Other because it would quickly burn what little hours there are left in my day. I used to be a keen printmaker and pen/ink scribbler but keep it to designing carvings these days. Keep up the good work.

BenZ: We cant talk about the secret funny words for obvious reasons - although they are funny.. :lol: shhhh

On 2008-08-19 22:29, tweedie3d wrote:
Kiora Bro

Talking about navigating...check this out! Just finished it for the upcoming exhibition in Sydney....thought I better show the "master" (and the world I guess). This is my first go at a little green man (or very dark green in this case) Although new he is actually old as you can see by the beard, the trippin eyes and tounge are Synthetic Opal from germany)Hope all is well in the "Wild West". cheers Jas

And last but certainly not least; my old mate tweedie3d! How are you Jahs'son? Welcome to TC!
What can I say..? I should encourage you to start a thread of your own and let everyone else say it! Your first Tiki and its a smasher!! Beeeeutiful! Love the detail on the upper beak and the inlays are super saucy!
*Not quite the whole world tunes in here but anyone-whose-anyone in the contemporary Tiki world will soon know about you. I hope youre prepared to dedicate your life to Tiki carving and decadent living..? :wink:
Best of luck to you and Paipo at the coming Sydney show. *Paipo? (look him up..) I hope youre going to stick around and dazzle us with a bit more of what you do!

--

--

And as for me; its halfway through another Tiki week & all going dandy. Finshed this guy off:

--

And the latest littley, finished this afternoon. Thaaats a keeper! :wink:

Ill get some better pics tommorrow when its lashed and safely around my neck.

Just in: NZ wins its 3rd gold medal at the Olympics - not bad for a little Sth Sea island.. :)

Happy carving All!

B

Of COURSE You get to keep the good ones, the Keeper is really an Awesome little guy! The big guy is Excellent too and has the rear end to back it up :)
Great to see so much work from the Master!

J

Oooohhh, Tama's thread now has the phantom extra page too! :o

By the way, nice buttz! Saw you and Benz were taking my name in vain in Shout! this morning. Hmm... not sure how I feel about that. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 3:30 PM

Greetings Mr. Tama. I see the drool factor is still set at 9+ over here. These last two are crazy nice. I REALLY like the chubby fellow with his tongue out. All aces mate!

Thanks BenZ: the 'keeping' often turns out to be only temporary anyway. Some just take a little longer to let go of than others..

JenZ: I keep hearing about these phantom pages but all seems okey-dokey this end?? So you were listening in on us - I knew it! No butts for you for a while.. :lol:

Cheers G$: Drool factor 9+? Still room for improvement then! :)

--

--

Here my new keep-for-a-while all finished up:

Followed by an even smaller one. I kind of feel sorry for this guy:

And a stylised/simplified Austral Islander thats been lurking half-completed in a box for some time:

(not to be confused with this one, no further along):

Despite appearances this one is deceptively thin, my desire for 3-d probably why it has laid unfinished for so long.

On a sadder note; our beloved cat Coco* lost an eye this week and had to have it removed: (if youre squeamish, look away now..)

*Now renamed 'Winky' :lol: He's as tough as old boots this one only looks nervous because of the camera. In truth he's whacked out on pain meds that will last another couple of days and seems to be having a great time..

And thats another week in the bag. NZ has done well so far in the medal stakes in Beijing, Ive been glued to the TV most evenings and have enjoyed these Games more than any I can remember. Go Kiwis!

To those of you who work the 9-5: do us all a favour and carve some TIKI this weekend whydontcha? See you All next week! :D

Tama

[ Edited by: tamapoutini 2008-08-22 02:56 ]

B

Oh,Man Oh Man, WHAT A tease, I can't believe the little Keeper, he is SO Neat can I keep him awhile? And his Tinier brother!!You Really know how to POUR it ON Don't you. It seems you have WELL Exceeded GMANG's Drool level top of the list 11.
And THEN you bring out the Astral guy and THEN ANOTHER ONE, I Can't STAND IT!! I gotta go Calm down a bit but I will be back .
Daayyyum, Full body, 3d, DROOL Beautiful Jade,droool, ...

Cat looks OK . . . little "keeper" looks great! Is that the same stone from which you recently carved the mere? It looks like it!

hey Tama!,
the greenstones look beautiful, man!
Really diggin the Austral guy, looks Awsome!
too bad to hear about the cat's eye, looks identical to our cat Cooper too lol
Great stuff Tama!

B

Almost forgot about Winky, Poor little guy, I really hopes he heals OK. It hurts to see our pets in distress, I know you'll take care of him.

P

Kitty Eye Patch

I made this for my kitty as somewhat of a a joke. He has recently gone blind in one eye, and I thought it would be cute to have a pirate kitty. (Arrr, meow me mateys!)
The cat wore the patch! The trick was to just slip it on as I was petting him, He couldn’t see it once it was on (duh… blind in that eye!) so he wore it for quite some time! ADORABLE! Completely worth the 5 minutes it took to make!
Materials

• Crochet Cotton - Black

Light weight or sock weight yarn is about the same, I think.

• Size 6 needles

I used two double points, just because they are the shortest and you never have more than 24 stitches on the needle.

• Crochet hook, size C/2.75mm

Optional, just makes it much easier to weave in ends and attach the ties

Instructions

Measures about 3″ wide and 1.5″ tall, and stretches.
This project is easily scaled down using smaller needles. If you would like to make it larger (say, doggy eye patch?) use a thicker weight yarn and/or larger needles.

Patch:

Cast on 12

Row 1: knit across
Row 2: k into front and back of each stitch (24 stitches)
Row 3: k2, p20, k2
Row 4: k across
Row 5: k2, (p1, p2tog)x6, p2, k2 (19 stitches)
Row 6: k across
Row 7: k2, p1, (p1 2tog)x4, p2, k2 (15 stitches)
Row 8: k2, (k2tog)x5, k3 (10 stitches)
Row 9: k across
Row 10: bind off, leave about a 20 inch tail for a tie
Ties:

With a crochet hook, chain about 10 in tail left from bind off, or leave plain.
Attach a matching tail to starting end of the bind off row, either crochet or leave plain to match the first tie.
Finishing:

Weave ends into WS, tie around kitty (if you can), watch him immediately take it off.

(not mine)

J

I can't believe pdrake just posted a knitting pattern! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, sock yarn is generally very fine and soft and would probably be too flimsy to hold a flattish shape. I would suggest a DK or Light Worsted weight yarn. You can even find some nice ones made from bamboo fiber! Very tiki!

On 2008-08-22 11:11, JenTiki wrote:
I can't believe pdrake just posted a knitting pattern! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, sock yarn is generally very fine and soft and would probably be too flimsy to hold a flattish shape. I would suggest a DK or Light Worsted weight yarn. You can even find some nice ones made from bamboo fiber! Very tiki!

Aye , a wee bit of a surprise eh .:o

Well I'm waiting to see if the wild man of the West Coast gets his needles out and knits a patch for his moggy .:D

Beautiful carving! Wow!
And ... sorry about the cat.

hey Tama what happened to this projects?

I mean they are really great and everybody are burning from curiosity to see you finish them
PS: Have you tough to make something like this? They are called "Moai Kava Kava" from the Easter island (click on the pictures they are enormous!)

S

Coco ROCKS! hang in there!

Kia ora catlovers! One-eyed Winky is doing just fine and thanks you all for the support!

BenZ: (I didnt tell him you forgot..) :wink:

Timid: Yes, my little keeper is the same stone as the mere & also the same as the recent Toki/Tang.

Duddy: Cheers mate - you behaving yourself with those Tikis? (I caught our TDuddy trying to sneak smut into his thread) :wink:

Pdrake: Youre a man of many talents. Dont listen to the teasing, theyre just jealous that they cant knit. Thanks for the info!

Jen: ( :lol: )

ToaT: er, nah.. A carved one from Aussie black perhaps? Coconut shell would have been good if we hadnt just changed his name from Coco..

Tikishark: Thanks! and meow from Winks!

dOxO8779: (can I just call you dOx?) Welcome to TC!

You mean these..? Still lurking in the Box Im afraid, no further along..

Moai-kavakava? Like Paipo, Ive not made them as they are a wooden (driftwood) item for which Im not really tooled up for. That said, I did make a Tamafied kavakava head for our Easter Isld-themed swap many moons ago:

Surfin: I like to think he looks more like:

Seeks: He's purring, thanks! :)

--

--

Another Manaia/birdman on the bench! This one was drawn up from reference material. Not copied you understand - Id like to think Id refined it a little actually, ahem:

I deliberately went for an older/softer style rather than a crisp contemporary design, to suit the shallow 'cloud' fracturing throughout this stone. These are different to true 'cracks' which run directly through the stone & weaken the structure.

Almost ready for sanding, so in the Box it goes..

..thats a joke for you Paip! :lol:

--

--

And speaking of that Box..

I had to take the lid off to find some of those pieces for dOx..

yep, I took the lid off..

right off.

and there they were.

heaps of them..

TIKIs!

too many. so many hours..

I had my camera with me..

Figured I could take a pic for you guys..

When suddenly, I heard this voice in my workshop: "pooooost a phooootooooo for the peeeeeeeeeeps....!"

I laughed because 'peeeeeeeeeeeps' didnt even sound scary coming from a ghost.

You wanna see it..?

The Box that is.

Alright, I supposed youve earned it: :lol:

Now scram, Im putting the lid back on.. :wink:

Ohhhhhh - I like 'the box'

How can you leave them like that, all piled up on one another?

It's a sin!!

And BTW - phantom page is back again . . .

You and Paipo both - at the same time lol

DO DO DO DO, DO DO DO DO

KS

Wow! It's the magical box found at the end of a rainbow!
Glad you weren't offended by my pic...here's another...
Looks kinda like yours! It's my Pixel...

Also found out my cousins cat is named JADE!

B

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOYYYYYYY
Open it back Up I need to gaze in there for another hour. The MAGIC,the Power, The COOLNESS, the Poor souls begging for your attention I can hear the screams, the Plea's the Begging, OPEN it Back up, Open open openopenopen. :P :D

B

wow, so many incredible pieces of art in that little box! I really need to get in line for one of your Hei Tiki... lemme know when you are ready to part with one of those 'keepers' of yours :wink:

Truly beautiful!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2008 11:06 AM

"Now scram, Im putting the lid back on.."

Tease! I would be proud to wear any one of those buggers.

Thanks for the sneak peak. Tasty looking nuggets....

B

We need this on this Page I think,,WITHOUT the Lid :P :) :D :lol:

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-08-26 11:51 ]

J

Thanks Ben, you beat me too it. It's like Pandora's box, now that the lid is off........ Only good little green things happen.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2008 4:04 PM

Wow Tama! What a box! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a bunch of half finished projects. I think the double headed manaia is ready to come out of there though - it looks great! I really like the question mark on that other one. :)

B

Yep; pandora's box, you're right J.P

T
Tipua posted on Sun, Aug 31, 2008 7:27 PM

Talofa Tama! I've only just got back from a trip to Samoa. Unfortunately not a tiki to be had over there. Lots of savage packs of dogs though...

Eee by gum, what a beautiful box of goodies, each one crying out "finish me! Finish me!" - a daunting, but pleasurable project I'm sure.

I really, really love your hei tiki at the top of page 92. That marsden jade is lovely. Are you sure you want to keep him? If you change your mind, let me know. He be tugging away on me heart-strings!

:)

Kia ora All! Hows the carving business? Tikityboo!

Big ups,

KShaman: The better & almost completed pieces actually dont stay in that Box but are individually wrapped & kept in a smaller box - and all boxes are handled with utmost care. Yes, I have retrieved chipped pieces from the Box in the past, and have kicked myself for my own laziness, doh!

Surfin: Youve got a cousin whose cat is named Jade? Well its in your blood isnt it? Welcome to the stoners circle!

Blowfish: Keep your eye on the TC marketplace. I try to offer only xtra-special or xtra-affordable here. My output is frustratingly slow and low though, despite working at it as hard as I can.

G$: Cheers. I fully intend to finish them all sooner or later. There are some future bargians in the deeper levels..

bZart: Thinking about all the hours/days/weeks that are just sitting there in that/those boxes - X6!! Im feeling Boxed in all of a sudden.. :o

JP: Thanks. My mother always told me, 'life is like a Box of half-finished pounamu pendants - er, you just never know when youll eventually finish one?'. I should have listened to whatever it was my Dad told me (wasnt listening)

Mieko: And you're only seeing the TIKI Box! There are others.. :lol: *The question-mark-instead-of-a-face is/was the day I realised that I wasting my time drawing them in, as the lines are instantly removed as the head is shaped.

B'nella: Cheers. I see you have your copy of 'Kahui Whetu' - I hope it inspires rather than put you off. It can be hard to see just how good 'good' gets..

Tipua: Talofa! Welcome back. *If you don find any Tikis on one Island, it must be time to visit Samoa.. (groan) Hey, joking about it is as close as Ive been; Im jealous, despite the lack of Tiki. Maybe you should post a notice in Tiki-Travel just to warn people?

Enough merry making, Ive been working..

--

--

Its another Tiki week. Im a bit behind in posting prog on a few pieces but have kept piccies and will post another time. The latest Teko-Toki was finished today and because I haven’t posted its progression, you get to see the whole show in one hit. (same Marsden stone again Timid)

'Hei-toki Tekoteko':

The figure on this one is just under one inch tall:

This is as far as I dare go with the grinding wheel, almost all work on the figure done with the handpiece. You can see here how fleeting is the life of a carefully drawn penline; simply there to guide stone towards tool for the moment of truth - and then instantly buzzed to oblivion. It pays not to blink or sneeze in these moments:

..the toki blade itself is relatively easy to achieve in the first wheel session but is also refined and finalised with the handpiece:

From here on its just me and the Nakanishi..

ready for sanding..

--

--

*Done:

$hots:

Happy carving! :)

Tama

[ Edited by: tamapoutini 2008-09-01 00:58 ]

T

Tama ,
do you know much about this 'bearded' style of hei-tiki ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies