Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

On 2008-06-14 18:51, Benzart wrote:
Izzit Monday YET?? I have No idea but I can say Hukilau is a BLAST this year again!

Yeah , Monday is almost over ...........................:o

TAMA ,YOU PROMISED ...........:x

On 2008-06-14 18:51, Benzart wrote:
Izzit Monday YET?? I have No idea but I can say Hukilau is a BLAST this year again!

Yep it is , in fact Monday is almost over ...........................:o

Izzit Monday YET??

I did didnt I? Please forgive my absence - its an annual custom for me to disappear around the middle of June. :wink: Ill expose the guessing game design later today..

ps: Jen - congrats on your 2nd TC anniversary yesterday! :)

J

On 2008-06-16 14:49, Tamapoutini wrote:

ps: Jen - congrats on your 2nd TC anniversary yesterday! :)

Hey Thanks! But it's still today in my part of the world! There are some on this forum who rue that day two years ago! :wink: To them I say: :P

J

A baseball card (tiki instead of player) pendant?

B

I sure hope it's a Tiki Statue of Liberty?

How about George Bush with tats, tongue hanging out, waving a war club?

Pleeeeese push the envelope on this one Tama!

God bless you!!

Sorry to keep you in the dark for so long but as you'll see, it was pretty hard to think of clues & I couldnt really show any more prog.. Thanks for playing y'all!

The mystery piece is drawn up now and so without further ado:
"Pimp My Taonga"

Couldnt quite give it to you Toka, but you were so close with Bling The plan is to set it into a heavy silver bezel/backing and solder a jumpring at the top so it can be worn with a suitably garish chain. Just call me MrTTT, fool!

And the past couple of days have gone into this little Warrior:

The facial details have changed several times thus far and Im quite expecting it to change yet again as its carved. This is mainly due to the fact that my penlines are removed every time a tool is passed over them & and I just redraw with whatever idea comes to mind.. :lol:

to be contd.

On 2008-06-16 20:44, Tamapoutini wrote:
Sorry to keep you in the dark for so long but as you'll see, it was pretty hard to think of clues & I couldnt really show any more prog.. Thanks for playing y'all!

The mystery piece is drawn up now and so without further ado:
"Pimp My Taonga"

Couldnt quite give it to you Toka, but you were so close with Bling The plan is to set it into a heavy silver bezel/backing and solder a jumpring at the top so it can be worn with a suitably garish chain. Just call me MrTTT, fool!

And the past couple of days have gone into this little Warrior:

The facial details have changed several times thus far and Im quite expecting it to change yet again as its carved. This is mainly due to the fact that my penlines are removed every time a tool is passed over them & and I just redraw with whatever idea comes to mind.. :lol:

to be contd.

Not a DogTag , but a TikiTag ........sounds like a kids game eh :)
" you fellas wanna play tikitag ? " :lol:

And ya wee man is looking grand too ehoa ,
He sort looks like he's ready to hop down from the ridge of the Wharenui roof , and go fight injustice :wink:

B

Cool Tiki-Tag but even COOLER Warrior! Of course I really love this guy and Look how Small he is. Wearing the smaller pieces is really more comfortable!. I might just happen to have a piece you can trade him for??
Of course I gave him eyes and a cord.
No matter It is great to see you carving this awesome stuff.

haha, that was a good round of guessing!
that is DEFINATLY gonna look sweet! the warrior too; i often change ideas in the middle of a piece too, depending on what i screw up lol :P

B

Word yo!

It certainly is tiki, it says it right there...And I agree with everyone else, the little warrior is smokin hot!

Cheers Toka, BenZ, Duddy (thats another reason why commissions are so difficult; designs that have been 'approved' arent allowed to change too much, whereas working on your own stuff allows full freedom..)

Babalu: Tiki's the.. word :)

Early start this morning - told you that face would change again. Next step is to chizel that moko back on..

More later.. later!

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2008 2:34 PM

G R E A T i love your work !!!
Akuae

Nice! just awsome!

Cheers Akuae & Duddy - much appreciated!

On 2008-06-17 14:20, Tamapoutini wrote:

Next step is to chizel that moko back on..

phew, that was over three hours ago; keep finding areas to play with - Now its time to chizel that moko back on..

Well I guess it was definately a Tiki pendant. :lol:

This new guy is great, you might have to make a similar one later.

B

Tama, this guy may be one of your best yet. I Love the fullness and the rounded perportions and the Look this guy will have is great

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 17, 2008 9:17 PM

Yes, Benz hit it on the head...this guy is plump feeling. Very nice. Droool...

S

Ow yes he is superb!

B

This little guy looks fantastic, certainly your best piece.

Ben

Big thanks TFreak, benZ, G$, Seeks & B'nella!

I must admit Im rather chuffed with how this guys turning out myself. Could be a keeper..

Here's how the little Warrior looked after another couple of hours this morning, but before the start of dry-carving/clean-up/sanding. He's even a bit more refined now & has another little tat detail between his eyes (those eyes were infuriatingly difficult to manoeuvre around!)

Only a couple of grades of sanding to go: hopefully have finished pics later today..

B

Tama, I'm Really liking this guy more and more as his detail is unfolding. Love that mouth full of teeth and those Eyes and the Moko. He's Definitely a Keeper ...FOR ME! If I can't have him then I'll just have to make my own from the black jade, though yours will be much better! Nah, on Second thought I could Never make one of him so I guess you'll just have to give him up. I Mean it THIS Time too.

B

BUMP

B

It IS a keeper.

Very nice work,

Ben.

J

On 2008-06-18 17:32, Tamapoutini wrote:

I know you posted this one just for me! And I love you for that! :wink:

Thanks BenZ & B'nella!

I must be doing something right - this guy is even bringing lurkers out of the closet (kia ora M! Look, youre on the telly.. :wink: )

He's a keeper for sure. Im keeping him! :wink:

--

He's got a name now too, "Toaiti" (the little Warrior):

uh-huh

feet

All mine, although I did earn it - had to tell MrsT that he wasnt headed for market.. doh!

--

--

And started a new Titchy-Tang. Coincidentally while I was drawing him up, 'One Inch Man' by Kyuss came on the jukebox, prompting me to measured him.. exactly one inch tall! :o :o :o Is it just me or is this workshop getting smaller..?

LittleBigMan:

uh-huh

Battling on with this one tommorrow and depending on how interruption-free the day is, might even get him finished in time for the weekend. Probably going to end up on a chain necklace or an earring as he's a bit lightweight for plaited cords.

To be contd..

Happy carving All! :)

Jen: uh-huh

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 19, 2008 1:19 AM

Veeeeery nice - I wouldn't be letting him go either! I can't believe you've been wearing that other one so long (maybe he can now go "on the block" to satisfy Mrs T?) . It'll be good to see this guy hanging round your neck in person. Might be time for a round of cocktails soon?

B

Ah, he IS Very Nice and I Happen to have the perfect chain for him.
Timid tiki said this guy was the prize for the contest so you know the rest.
HappyHapyHappy

Whoa! looks GREAT Tama! i like how you even got his teeth in there too. Cant wait to see the new littlebig guy all finished up too!

The "little warrior" turned out awesome!!! I'm liking the new smaller Tama series.
I gotta get me one of those tangs!

Paipo: I wont be letting this one go! If anyone sees bootleg copies of this for sale, lemme know.. Hope we see some sort of resolution/retribution for your troubles P.

BenZ: Hmmm? I'd better have a word to the sponsors of that competition.. :wink:

Duddy: He actually tried to take a small bite out of my finger whilst I was carving those wee gnashers..

TFreak: Tangs a lot! see prog below..

--

--

TT-GIF!

LittleBigMan prog:

I guess the reveal will have to wait until Monday for this littlebig guy..

--

And a new one. Slightly more 'adult' proportioned (not in that way!) version of Toaiti:

Again, next week.. Im ready for a beer.

Have a good weekend All - do some carving or something.. :wink:

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-06-19 20:13 ]

Wow Tama, look at that little guy! Is this a new realm for you? It's looking like you are getting them not as flat on the back? Is this the fist pendant that can stand up by itself??

B

I Like the one you just roughed out but not as much as the one around your neck, however the one you are just drawing up May be the one the drawing Looks a bit spactucaler. I'm Definitely loving this 1 inch pinch you got going on. To ME they are Much more wearable and manageable You ought to rough several more out now while you are ON FIRE, as it seems Everything you touch here recently turns to Gold. DO it Do IT DO IT!

Toaiti Rocks! Very nice you are on fire!

Thanks Seeks & BenZ!

TFreak: No, he's probably got half a dozen relatives who can stand unaided but yes, definately getting fuller/thicker - proportionately speaking anyway, this is probably one reason why the works are getting smaller overall. I have a definate limit as to how thick I can go as 99% of my carvings are to be worn as pendants, but by going smaller they are in effect getting thicker. See example/s below:

LittleBigMan finished!:

(check marketplace for more 'details')

--

And a new one started this afternoon. Actually the adze-form itself has been kicking around the bench for quite some time & Ive had several attempts at drawing the figure before now:

*Might be a good one for one of you chizzlers..? :wink:

Thats all for now - Happy carving All!

B

YES,I Got m Eye on this one, he looks pretty small?

T

Heya Tama,

Just had to drop you a quick one to say Toaiti is awesome! I just love those rounded big heads and little bodies you do so well, and your ta moko is wicked!

Fantastic as always!

Tamapoutini i like your work good to see another coaster on here jade carving

Huh ? another Coaster Poster ..... bugga , thats three of ya now :o

Kia ora GreenCarvings ,
welcome to TC .
Hope you have a camera in your tool kit , they are essential items around here mate :lol:
cheers ,
Jock

haha i wouldnt dare post photos in this thread.
cheers for the welcome

[ Edited by: GreenCarvings 2008-06-23 00:55 ]

On 2008-06-23 00:47, GreenCarvings wrote:
haha i wouldnt dare post photos in this thread.
cheers for the welcome

[ Edited by: GreenCarvings 2008-06-23 00:55 ]

Aye , but in your own thread ...... ya have to , its in the rules :D

im workin on a gift for my father at the moment,il post the pictures when its done in a few weeks.
i havent really done much else lately worth posting about...

On 2008-06-23 00:28, GreenCarvings wrote:
Tamapoutini i like your work good to see another coaster on here jade carving

Kia ora GreenCarvings! You mean my monopoly has been tumbled? bugger - (Id told these guys that I was the only one in NZ who knew how to do it..) :lol:

So: What sort of work do you carve? How long you been at it? Tikis..?

Start a thread. "Show us.. show us.. show us.."

Welcome to TC!

B

WOAH, Say IT AIN'T SO, T3 you Promised you were the ONLY One who knew how, and we Believed you! 9well for a minnit maybe :lol: ) Wellll you Are the ONLY Tamma the Terrible and all those Other T's and we DO Love your work :P so I guess it's OK :rol:
I hadn't thought about the smaller tikis being thicker because of the small size but you're correct once again, darn how many zillion times does That make?
I am Really liking this newer direction for you too and this last one having the Jump ring is new and works well too.

Green Carvings guy, Welcome to TC, Come on in and stay awhile! Bring Photos!

Cheers BenZ!

prog report:

(hmmm? Im putting these photos up despite the fact that I cant see them myself..?? Hope this works..)

B

(in my best Cartman voice)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

WHOOOOO!!! Go Tama! latest work(and all work) is just spectacular! just pumpin out the pieces!
awsome awsome stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies