Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

B

Well, Well, What's this? Tama, a sight for Sore eyes and it looks like you are making up for lost time. Beautiful stuff I must say starting with the triangle guy he's sure got some New wrinkles we have yet to see from you and I hope this is one of more to come, I really love that you are working smaller and with MORE Detail! looks like you are ready to outdistance yourself from the rest of the pack.
I have a feeling Jen will be Ultra Happy to see your new offerings.
I'm going to just go sit in a corner by myself now.
HappyHappyHappy

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 4:19 AM

Great to have you back T :D Missed you around here

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2008 5:17 AM

welcome back!

nice TEKOTEKO

-G$

Oh my. Those are about the coolest EVER! The first triangle cut one is a stunner. Hence, I am stunned. :o
Great to hear from ya!

J

Yeah, Tama's back. The triangle guy is the tops. It is a pleasure to view.

Man those new pieces are looking so cool! Glad you're back. It looks like you are starting to add the berries and not just the twig? I'm really liking how you are doing the tekoteko.

I second all the above . . . the triangle guy is awesome! As are all the others - I too love the Tekoteko fella :)

Welcome back, we have missed you around here . . . looking forward to more inspirational stuff from you!

KS

T

Tama, :-? I'm curious as to on that triangle guy, are those wrinkles or is that a tattoo? Either way, it's great.. Hell all of them are great..

B

Thanks for posting the progress shots of this more than exceptional work Tama! Christmas is coming up...I'm going to have to point the wifey over to this thread :)

Out of sight! Great stones love them so much detail WOW!

Aloha!

BenZ: as always, right there with kind encouragement. Thanks mate; small + detailed + 3-dimensional does seem to be the winning combo at the moment, although that said Ive just recently finished quite a *thin/low relief hei-Tiki that Im quite proud of.

Cheers for the support Hewey, G-dizzle, Surfin', JP, TFreak (yes, a few berries lately, well spotted, haha), KShaman, Tpaka (wrinkles, see below), Babalu (Xmas is the hardest time to make me promise anything, heehee) and Seeks! Big thanks everyone.

Tipua: I owe you a special apology (for being a useless bugger) and a special thanks (for not hassling me about it, which I probably deserve). There is a piece of stone on my bench trimmed to size & with your name on it..

Triangular Tiki: Thanks for your comps on this guy everyone - Tikipaka: the lines on the face are moko/tattoo, although because the Maori followed and enhanced the natural features of the face I can understand how they might look like wrinkles. The innermost line on each side of the chin moko ends in a spiral (not captured in pics so well), ditto on each side of the nose and in the centre of the brows & hopefully these suggest tattoo a bit better when seen in person.

So when youre on to a good thing:

1 1/2 x 1/2" approx

*And the new flatty/low relief mentioned earlier:

Admittedly Im still far more excited about producing thicker/3-D pieces (& would rather not show those side views but for the sake of hopefully helping someone?) but you have to use those old thin-cut slabs to the best of your abilities dont you?

Take care All - Happy carving!

On 2008-10-22 18:20, Tamapoutini wrote:

Admittedly Im still far more excited about producing thicker/3-D pieces (& would rather not show those side views but for the sake of hopefully helping someone?) but you have to use those old thin-cut slabs to the best of your abilities dont you?

Yes thank you Tama - I find these very helpful :)

wonderful - love the new stuff! The triangular guy is fabulous (again :) )

As always, your work is a wonder to view.

KS

B

Yes! Love the Thin, Skinny, Fatty lo relief guy as it's Still so Amazing that you can get so Much detail in such a cramped space people just don't realize how difficult it is! It's no surprise your thicker pieces are so Laden with realistic looking features. I Live the little smirk on your first triangle guy. Now you have one going that could be a Sumo Wrestler and I can only imagine how HE will come out.
Maybe you should take those "Vacations" more often!

Sweet! Can I have it?!?!?!?!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 12, 2008 4:45 PM

Hellooooooooooooo?????

Tama - where ye bee?

I love the stone and the work on this last fellow. This looks like the stone you used for Benno's guy. Is this one sold yet?

-G

J

On 2008-11-12 16:45, GMAN wrote:
Hellooooooooooooo?????

Tama - where ye bee?

Yeah, where the heck are you? We need an update on the latest triangle guy

On 2008-11-12 17:01, JohnnyP wrote:

On 2008-11-12 16:45, GMAN wrote:
Hellooooooooooooo?????

Tama - where ye bee?

Yeah, where the heck are you? We need an update on the latest triangle guy

Hey guys - yeah I know Ive been neglecting you good TC folks. Still slowing clawing my back from a bit of a carving slump, although the past few days have been fairly 'serious' in that Ive been finishing off a couple of pieces for the upcoming NZ jade/hardstone exhibition (newly changed to allow a far wider range of stonetypes and hopefully attract a similarly wider range of artists) - deadline 5pm tommorrow *how you going Paip'? I went multi-media in the end myself; stone + paua.. :wink:

Youre in luck JP; I was hoping to include that latest little triangular tiki with my exhibition submissions but simply ran short of time. She's looking good though..

Ill be back with pics soon, promise! :D

Carve hard!

B

Thanks for stopping by to say HI, Hope the slump doesn't last long. Good luck with the show, too bad the triangle girl's not going with you to the show, I'm sure she would win All their hearts! :)
You have been Missed.

B

On 2008-10-22 18:20, Tamapoutini wrote:

WOW OH WOW OH WOW
Very nice.
Pix of the exhibition ? :) :) :)

Benjamin.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Nov 15, 2008 6:37 PM

... Ive been finishing off a couple of pieces for the upcoming NZ jade/hardstone exhibition (newly changed to allow a far wider range of stonetypes and hopefully attract a similarly wider range of artists) - deadline 5pm tommorrow *how you going Paip'? I went multi-media in the end myself; stone + paua.. :wink:

I managed to get my work in by 4:50 pm - fairly typical for me with this particular show :lol:
I was still actually working on my final piece until 4:30 pm on the day. Some things never change...
The petition on the counter was a good timeline of who had delivered their work throughout the day, and I was pleased to see your name on there amongst many of the usual suspects.
Mine is definitely "multimedia" too...stone and... oh, you'll just have to wait and see. Only 3 months til opening night! :)

J

Tammmmmaaaaaaa! Did you hear me shouting all the way from Michigan? Wake up! Get back to work. Where you been?

Gidday JP - I did hear you shout. Yep, Im a slackass for sure, no excuses. Just last night however I went through a whole lot of pics and sorted them out for posting here: 38 pics, featuring 10 new Tiki pieces that you may or may not have seen ElsEwhErE online over the past month or two. Time is a preciousssess (LOTR joke, groan..) thing at present; the lengthening/warming days are great for working on projects around the house. Im currently reestablishing our tunnelhouse/hothouse in a new location and getting vegetable gardens sorted - perhaps a 'Rongomaraeroa' (garden crop God/Tiki) to come..

When the right moment arrives Ill get those pics posted - thanks for the bump!

Tama

B

WOW, I Surely Hope the right time comes SOON, I Can't wait, I Need that Fix now! Happyhappyhappy

TAMA I MISS YOU!!!

S

Very slick fatty and the Polynesian Wally is very cool looking thus far.

B

Bump with ALOHA!

Okay,
if we don't see some more work here we WILL throw a TAMATRUM!

Peace,
B

Great Carvings as always Tama!!!mahalo for sharing and have a Merry Christmas, Aloha, Mooney

I'm with Sneakytiki!
Where ya at Tama??

S
s!q posted on Fri, Dec 26, 2008 4:02 PM

wow! some seriously awesome carving here tama! i really like when you freehand it, especially like the long tong piece on pg. 94 with the large mouth, real evil look. i really like evil/demonic carvings, big teeth fangs, crazy eyes, etc.

Tama bad, Tama very very bad..

Hey guys, its the usual greeting and apology from me. As you know, my waka hit the doldrums a while back and its been a long slow journey finding the puff to get going again. Partially due to economic blues and partially just Tiki-burnout (be careful; it can happen!). Taking a break at the moment, spent a nice 10 days in the sun at the top of the Sth Island & had a great Christmas with my family up there. My latest project at home is a kick-ass vegetable garden, freshly planted with over 15 different crops. ok 16 :wink:
Not in any immediate hurry to resume work but feel confident that 2009 will bring fresh perspectives and enthusiasm.
Thanks to all of you who look and comment on my work; it really is appreciated. My time really is stretched with my growing family and household projects on top of carvng & my biggest regret is not being able to give enough time here - I apologize if my posts are few and far between.

enuff. on with the show:

A little Warrior with 'tude - I hear the owner of this has been wearing it to church functions in order to provoke comment.. :wink:

Dark parauri stone, the raw material from a prominent NZ family collection:

A very local stone; accidentally stumbled apon in a friends garden:

Side-hanger:

Another local, from the nearby Marsden district:

My most recent fave; a Tahitian/Marquesan double Tiki:

Inspiring a new one:

A large dark Tiki in local serpentine:

In prog:

I swear this one was alive..

Taiaha-head pendant:

In-prog Tangaroa:

and another little in-prog Warrior:

Stopped by to see an old friend on my Xmas travels (Jester House Cafe, Motueka Hwy - fantastic organic bacon+eggs+hashbrowns+mushrooms+coffee - perfect hangover cure!)

Lets hope this pushes it over 100 pages so I can start afresh in 2009..

Hope you All had a great Christmas & wishing you a Happy New Year!!

:)

Amazing stuff again, I can't really decide what my favorite or most desired piece would be.
And as long as you spoil us with so much good stuff in one single post, I don't mind there's a little waiting before a next post appears. And remember it's about having fun at what you do, not about burning out from doing to much. Have a great new year and be nice to the veggies, they will show you their appreciation in the end.
Thanks for showing all the cool stuff.

J

Allright, that post makes up for your long absense. There is so much to choose from, but I like the Taiaha-head pendant and the one which was alive.

Nice to see you posting, you are are the Jade man around here.

Enjoying your summer?

T

Ok I agree with you here,

They are all beautifully done (or in proc) but this double Tiki is my favorite! :D Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

B

On 2008-12-28 02:49, Tamapoutini wrote:
Tama bad, Tama very very bad..
Yes you were but Sine you ARE TAMA, we will just Overlook that part! :) :) :)

Hey guys, its the usual greeting and apology from me. As you know, my waka hit the doldrums a while back and its been a long slow journey finding the puff to get going again. Partially due to economic blues and partially just Tiki-burnout (be careful; it can happen!). Taking a break at the moment, spent a nice 10 days in the sun at the top of the Sth Island & had a great Christmas with my family up there. My latest project at home is a kick-ass vegetable garden, freshly planted with over 15 different crops. ok 16 :wink:
Anything you would like to tell us about this 16th and will you be bringing any to the local market?? :) :) :)

Not in any immediate hurry to resume work but feel confident that 2009 will bring fresh perspectives and enthusiasm.
Thanks to all of you who look and comment on my work; it really is appreciated. My time really is stretched with my growing family and household projects on top of carvng & my biggest regret is not being able to give enough time here - I apologize if my posts are few and far between.

enuff. on with the show:

A little Warrior with 'tude - I hear the owner of this has been wearing it to church functions in order to provoke comment.. :wink:

''''
MY kind'o Guy, not just the warrior but the CURCH GOER who would DO This. :) :) :)
"""""""

Dark parauri stone, the raw material from a prominent NZ family collection:

''''''
I Love ALL these guys

BEautiful especially for a stumbled stone.
A very local stone; accidentally stumbled apon in a friends garden:

-Side hangars are ALWAYS my Favorites and will be the next one I get from you!
Side-hanger:

Another local, from the nearby Marsden district:

This one has to be another FAVORITE, but aren't they ALL???
Truly a Beautiful stone that you have made MORE Beautiful

Inspiring a new one:

Oh YES, How I Love these double guys you create, double the fun for the money but precisely perfect as only you can do Tama.

A large dark Tiki in local serpentine:

This one I think is More excellent than peeps wil know, Watch this guy
''''''''''''

In prog:''''''''''''''''''''
THIS one I think IS my Favorite out of the bunch, his form and shape is , well Perfect.!

This little Alive fella you should watch too he will walk off on'ya, I think the Ancients were at your shoulder when you did him :)
I swear this one was alive..

Taiaha-head pendant:

This Taiaha head guy has to be my Other favorite, you going to leave his tongue bare or gite him the works?,,
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

In-prog Tangaroa:

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
...AH the Tang, I'm such a Sucker for, this one will be among the best
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

and another little in-prog Warrior:

AND the BEST for Last I see, THIS guy WIL have to be my favorite I'm afraid after all is said and done, he is the one who might feel best next to my heart!

Stopped by to see an old friend on my Xmas travels (Jester House Cafe, Motueka Hwy - fantastic organic bacon+eggs+hashbrowns+mushrooms+coffee - perfect hangover cure!)

Lets hope this pushes it over 100 pages so I can start afresh in 2009..

Hope you All had a great Christmas & wishing you a Happy New Year!!

Well Tama, I'm sure this will get you into the Hundred page numbers and if not I'm sure it will be soon. 'I have a ways to go to get mine there but YOU are there.
Thanks for taking the time to post all these pic's and just take your time and come back when you feel it's right. As long as you return once in awhile, we;ll keep the candles lit for you so you won't get lost. Have a Happy New Year
Benzart

B

Well I guess we ned a few more to get to that 100 mark and I
m sure they will come.

Love the new stuff - especially the ones that have a bit of your own little twists. I hear ya about the burnout, anything in excess can create burnout. Take it easy with the garden. I'd hate to hear you OD'd on tomatos!

YAY! They look so good I wanna eat 'em.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 11:28 AM

Helloha Tama! I'm glad you've got the herb garden all squared away. Hopefully now you will be able to play a little with us. We miss you man. As always, your most recent wurks are slobberific. I need a little daily wearer like the Docs (she won't let me near hers) so let's talk. I know you are bizzy, but one day soon we will talk. Thanks for posting all those pics for us to gawk at - we've needed them around here lately. Keep bailing your Waka and you'll be fine. I've been taking on a lot of water myself - keep bailing and I'll see you at the shoreline.

-G$

P

i've missed you tama.

i love the new stuff. the stones are fantastic.

maybe i'll post my latest piece.

J

Good to see you back Tama. The little guys are looking great! Here's to a productive and prosperous 2009! Cheers!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 2:58 PM

maybe I'll be the pagebreaker? Good to see you posting again T - catch up soon!

L
Liana posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 3:24 PM

Oooooooh really loving that double tiki, and the new one you have lined up as well!! Great stuff as usual Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 4:32 PM

I think I'll get the big 'Ole 100 from here....

:wink:

colon Haha colon

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 4:33 PM

Darn.

Hey man!

I just found your thread here on TC. Keep up the good work.

You use a dremel tool to do all that?

Buzzy Out!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2008 10:25 PM

In-prog Tangaroa:

MINE!!!!

B

Oh Yeah, LOVE that Piccky of you and the big blue MOAI!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies