Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

B

Sweet! Clean!

WOW!!!!!!!

thanks so much for posting that link again- i would have missed an incredible tour that i will no doubt visit times again. beautiful piece in black! that red chord really does pop it! we're the same age!

Bea-u-tiful ! lovin it Tama =)

Choice , two moon-eyes ..... :) .

not carving the other side , al-la manaia fashion ehoa ?

Aye Tama , we get rain , but , strangly . mostly on Fridays and Saturdays
.... and warm rain at that .

B

This double headed manaia is fantastic, I love it.

Benjamin.

Tama more incredable carvings and creativity coming from you. You never cease to amaze us all thanks for sharin, Aloha your friend , Mooney

J

The last piece had me drooling.... I have to get back to practicing rock carving, though knowing I could never get to your level.

S

Mum very slick clean looking piece NICE!

BenZ, GreenCarvings, TTiaha, Bennella, Mooney & Seeks:
Thanks guys. The black jade does finish up nicely eh? Its really quite a simple piece but I guess the simple lines & strong colour contrasts give it that bit of wow.

JP: I miss your stones. It would be great to see more..

GreenTPat: thanks for reminding me - here it is again for those who may have missed: NZs' "Te Papa" Museum

--

--

Currently on the bench - a big ol' Pekapeka:

(both sides this time Toka)

Daddy duties tommorrow but Ill press on with this one as I can..

Happy carving All! :)

B

WOW Tama, Awesome Piece. Nice departure for you! First it looks like a Beautiful piece of Jade and the piece looks to really test your ability and I can see you Acing it all the way. Man you really know how to get me drooling don't you. I'm Lusting after this one and it's not even done!! It hurts to leave the post.

J

Well, as much as I'm missing the tiki bootays, I'm loving these big fluid pieces. The black jade is incredible. Can't wait to see how this one comes out!

S

Thats one sick design LOVE IT!

So friggin cool. This one is going to be beautiful.

Tama, you've been knocking out some killer stuff! I like the red cord on the double Manaia.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 8:45 PM

The red cord pops , but doesnt take away from the piece. I think the red at the top, the carving detail at the top, and the sheer size of the blade means it all balances nicely. Sweet :D

Tama - as usual love them all. . . the double manaia is sweet - but that peka-peka looks like it is going to be really something!!!!

:D

KS

Thanks!

BenZ: starting with a good materials really does help to maintain interest. This particular slab has sat around for months and I didnt realise just how nice it was. It had several designs drawn up then erased before now.

JenZ: hard to figure out where the butt/s would go on a piece like this.. :wink:

Seeks: design is the reason this piece is a little more exciting than usual. I have come a full circle and find myself literally back at the drawing board. As confidence has grown in the past year or two, Ive found myself drawing/designing directly onto the stone more and more in order to save a little time, but there really is no substitute for working designs out on paper first. It occured to me recently that the most inspiring contemporary work I find myself dribbling over is all very well designed & I would bet money that the artist/s plan/design well in advance of touching materials.

Sufin': Cheers - I hope we can lure you into the stoners circle soon.. :wink:

Tikifreak: subconscious attraction/repulsion? black/red = death/blood

Hewey: Nice critique! I hear my old tutor talking: Visual interest/balance through contrast of colour, complexity & proximity.. (?)

KShaman: Thanks bruddah; progress report to follow:

--

Pekapeka prog:

front, dry:

back, dry:

front, WD-40'ed:

back, WD-40'ed:

Pressing on with this one today. Thanks for watching!

S

What a gem this has turned into NICE!
Your work is to drool for.

B

First, I'm not sure how, (old age) but I totally missed the red cord and only saw the last shots of the manaia/toki and can I say I really love you sticking your neck out and going red? Awesome choice. What I find Really difficult to believe is how perfectly Fair, Flat, Un-blemished surface on that long blade. It is not really flat but looks to have a nice long gentle curved surface. I guess with the right tools it May be easy but I don't think so. Hats off for the whole piece, the Manaia is not something we see from you very often and I'll count this as an exceptional, rare piece! :D

NOW for the Pekapeka- - - -:o :o :o
i have to slow my heart from racing away into oblivion, this is turning out even Better than I originally thought. If I EVER Lusted, don't let me see it again! after a piece of your work it was Nothing compared to this. I honestly have to do some thinking about this one! I'm Dying inside. . . .

WD-40'ed driveby:

oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Benz - got those towels handy???

KS

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 8:28 PM

Looking good! :D

B

Hey Tama,

The work is just awesome as usual!

Thanks for showing us your progress shots on the Pekapeka. It's very cool to see how you cut the shape out, and from that center line rounded the edges of the stone...very clean...very uniform curves. You make it look easy and I know it's anything but easy.

I have never worked in stone before, but the work that you NZ cats are showing these days is starting to wet my whistle to give it a try.

I know I might be just wishing here, but I would love to see some type of collaboration piece done between you and Paipo...maybe a necklace that incorporates a few different stones or something? Just a thought...

Peace

Looking good there Tama ...

I'm working up at Franz ,for a week . Might make it permanent , better pay and conditions .
Hope tp get my car over next week .

Cheers all ,
Jock

Looking good there Tama ...

I'm working up at Franz ,for a week . Might make it permanent , better pay and conditions .
Hope tp get my car over next week .

Cheers all ,
Jock

Sweet piece Tama, looks complex and must've taken much skill.

ST

T
Tipua posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 7:57 PM

Cool pekapeka!

I've always liked the pekapeka. It's one of those images that has a certain pleasing aesthetic, and yet evokes a feeling of something totally alien. Yours is beeeutiful!

Kei te pai!

B

Thump Thump Thump Thump THUmp THUMP THUMP T H U M P

On 2008-07-28 20:23, Benzart wrote:
Thump Thump Thump Thump THUmp THUMP THUMP T H U M P

You got thumper over there Benz?? :D

Something dangerous? Dangerously awesome!!!!!

KS

Kia ora All.

Cheers, KShaman, Hewey, Toka, Sneaky, Tipua (Ive always been drawn to the pekapeka/manaia form too - more coming..), BenZ (thump me would you?),

Babalu: stone/jade carving really isnt any more difficult than any other sort of carving, you simply need the right tools for the job - which arent as daunting as they may seem either.. A collaboration with the P'pster? Its possible I guess - P'po..?

Havent been able to face the closing stages of the pekapeka so I guess its on hold at present - dont worry, you'll be the first to know once its done! :lol:

In the meantime however, a couple of Maori 'artifacts':

'Kapeu' earrings:

'Mere' pendant:

Luv,

B

Man, How can you make the simplest forms loo so Beautiful and easy to do? Of course the stone helps but there IS only One Tamapoutini! Thank god

On 2008-07-30 03:18, Benzart wrote:
Man, How can you make the simplest forms look so Beautiful and easy to do..?

A: By sticking to simple and easy to do forms.. :lol: Cheers Ben!

--

Staying with the pekapeka theme:

--

Friday tommorrow..

B

Another Beautiful, Simple, complicated form again, you could do these in your sleep I think, but then you'd wake up all wet. Excellent stuff Tama.

Tama - brillant - love the uniqueness of this one! been playing around with the peka peka design myself of late - looking for something a little different - that is awesome!

On 2008-07-31 01:59, Benzart wrote:
Another Beautiful, Simple, complicated form again, you could do these in your sleep I think, but then you'd wake up all wet. Excellent stuff Tama.

Benz - the way the weather is down where Tama hangs out - i wouldnt be surprised if he does :D

Tama - Hows your roof brother? thought about your new workshop when i saw the devastation down your way.

KS

T

Benz - the way the weather is down where Tama hangs out - i wouldnt be surprised if he does :D

Tama - Hows your roof brother? thought about your new workshop when i saw the devastation down your way.

:D :D :D

Too true , we had 5 trees come down on the construction site , and lots of cats 'n dogs too

:D

B

:lol: So!mIt Really DOES rain cats and dogs down there? Up here we get dogs and cats when it rains hard! :P :D :lol:

T

Something like this mate ?

C

Oh! Very nice!!

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 9:43 PM

i suck.

i need to stop looking at your stuff. it's simply in-freaking-credible.

BenZ: I wish the fruits of my nocturnal labours were sitting there in the morning. I dont know about the rest of you but I certainly have carving-dreams quite regularly. Mostly really large woodcarvings.. true Im hoping it has something to do with my chosen career and not some deeper psychological reason..

KiwiShaperson: "Playing around with the pekapeka design myself" eh? C'mon, lets see.. PS: the roof is just fine but we lost our tin woodshed - first it was blown/lifted off the contents, carried 10feet and slammed into a neighbouring fence. MrsT and I quickly roped it to the fence so no further damage could be done, only to have the wind thrash it to pieces where it was tethered. It now resembles nothing like a shed as a pile of tin panels, the 'framing' now twisted and unsalvageable. Had to restack and cover the wood in the rain.. bugger

Toka: plenty of trees/roofs down around here too. Did you catch it on the news?

Clarita: thanks, Im loving your (and BenZ) illuminated tikis and have started thinking about a display stand that will do something similar for jade.. hmmm?

Pdrake: You dont suck. But youre right - its time to stop looking at my stuff and get back to your own bench.

--

--

Been working. Finished the Pekapeka:

carved both sides, honest.

--

And have a new Tiki-Toki-type almost ready for sanding:

As you were.. :wink:

Tama

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-08-05 02:13 ]

B

After viewing your new stuff/art, we are Never "As we Were"!
I'm just sitting here trying to move on to the next page but the morning has come to a Full, screeching to a HALT, thanks to you. It is a Pleasant stop though I might add. Can't wait for you to "Light Up' some of your jade pieces.
later!

T

Yep ,saw the news , in between the power cuts :)
I think I might have seen a bit of your wood-shed roof somewhere down by Harihari .
wind sculptured corrugated iron right ? ..... :lol:

The pekepeka looks grand ehoa , top marks .

Now that you got the easy wee stone stuff cracked , time to start on the real big stuff .
Bring that rakau out of ya moemoeĆ¢ , and into the workshop mate ,
make wood chips ,
and sleep the sleep of the contented :D

Wonderful - I love the pekapeka - nicely different

and the tiki-toki is just like - well you know - your excellent as always stuff!!

(I never thought of kiwishaperson lol - maybe . . . kiwishamon??) :lol:

BTW - been drilling some holes in some green stuff to start the pekapeka - will post a pic once there is something to see! As with all new forms for me, I like to take it slowly, and think about my next step for a day or two before progressing :lol: (type A personality strikes again - darn).I drew it 100 times before I started (well more like 10, but you know what I mean :D )

Excellent stuff Andy - wonderful - you truely are the Jade Master . . . the Jadai - and now you are looking at playing with light . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KS

Cheers BenZ: Youve set the bar high in the illumination catagory with that bit of bone Ben. Ill need some time if Im going to attempt following (if only so people forget how amazing it is - as if that would happen..)

Toataiaha: Good to meet you today Toka! Shame it was so brief, I have a feeling we needed a few more hours & that you had more than one more yarn to spin. Next time.. :)

KShamon: Youve heard the old tradesmans saying 'measure twice & cut once'? Well its just the same with carving - better to draw the design 100 times until its right than go ahead and follow lines that have been carelessly laid. (well maybe not, after about 20 attempts Id take it as a sign to move onto something else..) :lol: Dont keep us in suspence too long waiting for your pekapeka!

Finished this fella up today:

Just a half day tommorrow - heading into town in the morning so I might pop around and mess up the P'po shed.. [zazz]PAIPO?![/zazz] (yes, I know it doesnt work here)

:)

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 4:07 AM

On 2008-08-06 00:46, Tamapoutini wrote:

Just a half day tommorrow - heading into town in the morning so I might pop around and mess up the P'po shed.. [zazz]PAIPO?![/zazz] (yes, I know it doesnt work here)

:)

Well, it still caught my attention...but you'll more likely find me inside buried under a pile of used tissues than out in the shed tomorrow.
Regardless, I'm sure I'll get some carving done at some point, and I'm always up for a visit....maybe then you can explain why the pieces I always want to see finished end up back in the box!

That pekapeka is Lustrous!
The symmetry,the expression,the flow of it....
Another job Well done Tama!

C

Clarita: thanks, Im loving your (and BenZ) illuminated tikis and have started thinking about a display stand that will do something similar for jade.. hmmm?

YES PLEASE!!!!!

J

The master of jade strikes again. I also want to know about the pieces in the box.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies