Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

Ill get back to you later guys (Seeks - heehee), just here for a drive-by..

Eyes:

:o

J

On 2008-06-05 16:34, Tamapoutini wrote:

Those eyes. ohhh

Your "just picking at something" is a euphemism for carving like Leonardo DaVinci

B

Tama,,, Could it be that you are Actually getting Better by Leaps and Bounds? I'm watching this new stuff unwrap and NOT Believing what I'm Seeing! I'm sitting here stammering and Unable to speak and Sherry is about to have me carted off.
To hel;l; with the Snow chains, I think I will just have to MOVE down there, Lock Stock and barrel and tools. That way I can keep my EYE on you to make sure none of this stuff slips away!
Seriously you are making these look Way too easy. Major Respect Sir.

Tah-daaahh.. :wink:

TT-GIF! :) See you next week..

J

But he has no butt!! :cry:

Ah well, he's kinda cute anyway. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 3:50 PM

Mine?

B

Well you went and made it even Better! If that was possible, Just Double what I said yesterday 'cause allm I can do is sit here shaking my head.
Mmmmm!

S

Sweetness ! I'm still licking and sucking on him a day later.
Sorta like a Everlasting Gobstopper.

Mighty fine looking green rock! Fantastic!

Mine??

Drive-by for BenZ - Ill reply to posters soon:

Approached (with diamonds) the way neolithic maori would have; ie the arm/leg holes were bored in from each side to 'meet' in the middle, as opposed to simply drilling through which would leave parallel walls.. with me? This way a lot of the shaping is achieved with the same action that creates the holes and is the method/approach used by most comtemp/trad hei-tiki makers, although they use different shaped tools.

The stone is not the greatest quality (hence the larger size of piece), but as I went along it proved better than expected so Ive slowed down again but have still been tackling with less line-drawing and with those old techniques in mind.

to be contd..

Looks Great Tama!!!!mahalo for sharin, Aloha Mooney

B

Yowzer,Tama, I understand now what you were saying or beginning to say. She looks very tempting. It's nice that you can change course in mid stream so to speak and turn a quickie into a real jewel. Thanks for sharing this one.

I am watching this book on e-bay and it looks just like your last one. Very nice!!

Tama
Thats some great work.
makes my mouth drool. I wish i found you guys sooner i just ordered a adze last week. im bummed.
Tikifreak i am also watching that same book lmaoooooo....

On 2008-06-09 16:00, Tamapoutini wrote:
Drive-by for BenZ - Ill reply to posters soon:

Approached (with diamonds) the way neolithic maori would have; ie the arm/leg holes were bored in from each side to 'meet' in the middle, as opposed to simply drilling through which would leave parallel walls.. with me? This way a lot of the shaping is achieved with the same action that creates the holes and is the method/approach used by most comtemp/trad hei-tiki makers, although they use different shaped tools.

The stone is not the greatest quality (hence the larger size of piece), but as I went along it proved better than expected so Ive slowed down again but have still been tackling with less line-drawing and with those old techniques in mind.

to be contd..

Aye ,that one is looking bonnie there Tama .
It has a classical way about it alright
Ka harare nga karu , teke ?

Nice stone too , where is it from ?

Kia ora All - My apologies for not stopping to chat but Ive been making a determined effort to quit spending so many hours horsing around and dribbling over other peoples Tikis & working on one of my own..

Big-Up yourselves: Toka, JenZ, BenZ, Duddy, G$, Seeks, Mooney, JP, TFreak, Slave, : Thanks for your comps on my stuffs!

T: freaky eyes, to mesmerise.. :o
J: any sign yet? :-?
B: the box is starting to get full - you almost ready to paddle over with my first consignment? :wink:
S: Im a sucker for them too.. :lol:
M: thats a big compliment, getting 3-D to 'flow' is what Im striving for; Im noticing its often a matter of simplifying the form, eliminating unnecessary facets/angles until you are left with clean lines and junction points and a 'flow' to the piece as a whole.
JP: Dude, as Im writing this post Ive just remembered that Ive gone and finished up that tekoteko without taking the sanding pics for you..!! My apologies - will make ammends. How is your stone work going btw..?
B again: 'leaps and bounds' - it feels like a looooong slow climb to me, but thanks and yes, still making progress..
J again: no ifs, no butt. :wink:
G again: G$..?
B AGAIN: just double what I said!
Seeks again: You can keep sucking on these babies: never-ever-everlasting gobstoppers.. :)
Mooney again: happy to share with such a supportive crowd!
BENzART!! why arent you working?? :wink: : I have dabbled in this approach before but this is the first real thick one that Ive attempted in this fashion, and really made an effort to shape each area as if I were holding a stone tool made for the job - constantly referring to piccies of old pieces.
TFreak: cheers, thats the vibe Im going for - but have come to the conclusion on this one that I just cant hide from the fact that its contemporary work/tools/processes etc, and I simply prefer to make a crisp piece as opposed to softening it all down to appear 'older'. A bit of a meeting point is the spot; I have 'softened' this one as much as I dare. *I dont that particular book but one Id highly recommend is 'Mana Pounamu'/NZ Jade by Russell J Beck (with Maika Mason), Reed Books/Reed Publishing NZ Ltd. Perfect intro to NZ pounamu & wide coverage of the subject.
Slave2Tiki: Welcome and thanks! Im assuming you mean a bone or stone hei-toki pendant? (if its one of those with the fancy lashing at the top it wouldnt have done you any good to find me earlier anyway; cant do 'em.. :-? :lol: ) Hope you enjoy your time at TC.
Toka again: phew, thank Tiki-God youre the last one mate. :wink: The stone was actually found in Nelson of all places (no jade occurance there, although the geologists reckon there could/should be..) but definately a local from round my way. My step-father found it in a friends garden, attracted by the cut face on it. Not a bad size but not really jewellery/'gem' grade, perfectly suited for big ol' hei-tikis though and far tighter stone than Id imagined. Had the stone for years and hardly looked at it in fact! The real attractive feature about this one is the colour - its going to polish up a real dark green with mottled yellow throughout (see below).. mmmmmmmmmm

The carving part is done and Ive given it one quick 'hand-job' with a heavy diamond cloth. With any luck Ill have her sanded tommorrow but depending on whether or not she ends up with inlays, determines whether or not you lot have to wait another 24hrs to see her.. :lol:

Happy carving All! :)

ps: phew

B

Ah so this is where you Snuck off to! She is looking gorgeous, Can I have her hand in marriage Dad? HuH, can I Puleeeze??

J

On 2008-06-10 03:59, Tamapoutini wrote:
J: any sign yet? :-?

Yes!!! Today!!! :D Happy :D Happy :D Happy!!!!

Thanks for all the extra little goodies too! I appreciate you sharing your enormous wealth! :wink:

Glad Ive done my homework, not so many to reply to tonight.

BenZ: Ive left a ladder beneath her bedroom window, come get her and she's all yours.. :wink:

JenZ: Im happy that youre happy! So much happiness from such itty-bitty beginnings. :)
ps: that money will buy a 1/4 acre section and a loaf of bread around these parts.. :lol:

--

Finished the big gal:

--

And started a pair of little trad hei-tiki: these two are headed to Japan with a boys soccer club & are to be gifts for the Mayors of two Japanese cities - cool huh?

I dont know the liklihood of the two Mayors getting together and comparing Tikis but just in case I figured Id better work on them together and make them as similar as possible - wouldnt want to be responsible for rekindling any old rivalry or anything..

Inspirational quote for the day:

"Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length."
--- Robert Frost

Wishing you long-lasting happiness..

B

Do I still need snow tires to get to the bottom of the ladder under her window? Aw hell, might as well go in the front door and exchanges boxes whilst I'm there and while I'm at it, you still trade shop time for the making of toggles and such? I could stand a bit of learning how to do things the Right way. :lol: :lol:
The lady certainly turned out to be gorgeous and will make a beautiful bride. The 2 Japanese pieces would really have me worried as the Japanese are So Critical of their art work. Aren't they Jade carvers from thousands of years back? Yes I'd be nervous about sending stuff there and proud at the same time.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 2:11 PM

Colour me disappointed - I read "Japaniki" and my mind was awash with possibilities. Tiki holding a katana? Oni-tiki? Tiki netsuke? Maybe the missing link in "Polynasian" migration theories? then I click on the thread to find it's just two "Medium Standards"... sigh :(

I guess I'll let you away with it (for now) - you have redeemed yourself somewhat with the new wahine, and the awesome little guy at the top of the last page. I still want to see a real Japaniki tho....

Tama! Stuff looks wicked!

Thanks Ben, I hadnt thought of that - now Im worried..

Paip: Sorry to disappoint you, not a very 'pc' term now I think of it anyway - from here on 'the twin Tikis headed for Japan'..

Duddy: wicked/good or wicked/evil? Im joking, cheers!

--
GUESSING GAME II: whats it gonna be..? :-?

Same clues: never attempted by me before, never seen on TC before, most probably a world first..??? :-?

B

A hula dancer made of pounamu?!

...one can only dream....

S

Mint chocolate?

Place of origin please?

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 5:32 PM

Can you use it in a sentence please?

J

Are there any other pronunciations?

I cant give too much away or else Paipo will get it.. :lol:

--

Place of origin? USA

On 2008-06-11 14:11, Paipo wrote:
Colour me disappointed - I read "Japaniki" and my mind was awash with possibilities. Tiki holding a katana? Oni-tiki? Tiki netsuke? Maybe the missing link in "Polynasian" migration theories? then I click on the thread to find it's just two "Medium Standards"... sigh :(

I guess I'll let you away with it (for now) - you have redeemed yourself somewhat with the new wahine, and the awesome little guy at the top of the last page. I still want to see a real Japaniki tho....

Japaniki , is that where the last samurai was from ? or is that Japanaki :lol:

USA?

Just kidding, I'm sure it will be something cool though. It's just so hard! :cry:

Contemporary USA, but the inspiration is not 'Tiki' - although this will most definately be a Tiki pendant..

:D

B

Hey Tama DON'T Worry, If you think About it then you will Also see that the Japanese are very gracious and forgiving and would not make a public notice of a failure of a non Japanese person to know about standards set by the Japanese people. They would only look at you and smile and say something undetectably you but to the immediate Japan party he would be telling them how ignorant ant stupid you are but that you are forgiven because the English should have done a better job of educating you so it is the English who should be worried, Because...but then THATS another story for a later time in this conversation, no? Are you confused and feeling better prepared??
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tama ,
you could always remind them of the taiaha that took out the katana in 3 moves .... :)

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 9:26 PM

Um, uh, yeah I got nothin'.

B

How about a tiki mug replica made of greenstone?

B

A Ku ? 'caue Hawaii belongs to the USA :)

Ben.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 10:32 AM

On 2008-06-12 10:18, benella wrote:
A Ku

Geshundheit!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 10:33 AM

Is it going to be a Jade Tiki Dog tag?

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-06-12 10:34 ]

J

A green-back! (slang for a dollar)

Hasn't anybody ever seen a domino without the spots; on the other hand if it is US it could be a PIA.

You guys been guessing all night huh? :lol: :wink:

Dog-tag is the closest yet, followed by banknote & domino - although only in that youve identified that the profile is rectangular..

Hmmm? More clues:

• it will be combined with another material

• it will be a 'Tiki' version of.. something else

• untraditional to a debateably 'controversial' degree(..?)

*Its very hard to think of clues that dont give it away & if I showed pics of it drawn up you'd get it straight away too, so in the name of fun n games Ill leave you to keep guessing for a while longer..

Next set of clues may blow it open..

Hope youre havng fun..

H
Heath posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 3:05 PM

Menu?

For the upcoming swap?

[edited because I'm a dummy!]

[ Edited by: Heath 2008-06-12 15:12 ]

Menu: no (sitting out this particular swap: how are the Menu-swappers going btw? havent seen that thread for a while..)

It is jewellery-inspired, just not Tiki-inspired. It is to be a Tikified version of.. another recognisable jewellery genre.

Is it a Sid Vicious razor blade bling piece 8)

On 2008-06-12 23:59, Toataiaha wrote:
Is it a Sid Vicious razor blade bling piece 8)

*SO close.. :wink:

Unless someone guesses it over the weekend, Ill post/show the answer on Monday.

P

queen of hearts?

license plate?

B

Izzit Monday YET?? I have No idea but I can say Hukilau is a BLAST this year again!

B

Something American Indian?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies