Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

B

:o

You're a master

T
Tipua posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2007 5:45 PM

Awesome Tama!

It might just be me, but I picture Marquesas-style Tiki features for them seven lassies. I don't know why, but their bodies just remind me of Marq-style. Must be the big heads and squat bodies...

Although, perhaps they are a little too small for that. But then again, you have gone pretty small in the past!

Gettin small with the Tam-ster! Wow! I can't believe how great that's lookin'. After seeing the netsuke's at the LA Museum,I know believe it can be done,but the amazement is still there! Bravo for not backing down from a challenge!WOWwowWOWwowWOW!

Tama,
Ditto what Benz and Tipua said--Any culture that doesn't have change/innovation is a "dead" culture. I have caught flak for using "Western" materials and motifs in what some instructors thought should be historical replica pieces, cradle-boards, hollow-log drums etc. It's very funny as this doesn't seem to apply to "Western" art. Even my African art teacher would always say things like "You know of course that's a tourist piece and NOT authentic." even if I had shown her a beautifully done club made by a native Fijan. Not authentic because it's post "contact" PFFFFFFT!!

I really love the breastplate you're doing. I was taught that the crescent shape used on those and the Hawaiian feather blankets is a very old Oceanic motif that originally represented the "spirit canoe" that took u back to the ancestors. Dunno if that's BS or not... The Hei-Tiki freestyle piece is also very handsome.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

PS
When I think minimalist crashtest-dummy female tiki I think of this Tongan ancestor goddess

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-30 08:54 ]

H

Thats a super sweet piece mate. Very nice, and a nice dialogue to give it some cultural depth.

I like the idea of the ocean motif and the woven design. How about an ocean/wave motiff which overlaps and intertwines like a woven design would? I have no idea how to do it, but it sounds cool.

F

Yet again excelling yourself OB1, I'm sure this will turn out very nicely.
Regards
The Stonescraper (back 2 notches)

A

Wow, I'm really blown away by the detail. You make it look so easy. Definitely an heirloom in the making.

Thanks for posting the pics. I love this stuff!

Kia ora all. Thanks so much for all the comps on the '7-Sistahs'; I havent done any more to it/them since last post. Getting a little clearer when I look at it now though, haha.

Cheers: Benz, QueenK, Yubaba, Benella, Flynny & Alien!

Tipua: Im glad you saw the Marq-ness in these wee figures, well spotted! I am using a small Marquesian woodcarving as a 'rough' model... I have always been a bit scared of carving human(oid) figures/faces; humans are just so 'in tune' with the human form, that it is easy to make a bad job of carving them. The model has helped me out of numerous tight spots so far: thanks Mark! (the Marq)

LLT: I know my work isnt a scratch on those traditionally trained Netsuke guys - They are CRAZY! Super-human patience... I do well enough for a hard medium like jade but it doesnt allow anywhere near the same detail/scope as bone, nuts, horn, etc

Sneaky: I think we are lucky that the Maori culture is so embracing of its' contemporary artists. It seems that since its' very conception or distinction as Maori Art, there have been skilled 'maverick' artists pushing the boundaries of traditonal work. This is even more true of todays' artists I think. There is some amazing stuff being done in all genres: carving, weaving/textiles, dance/performance, etc.
I wasnt aware that the crescent motif symbolised the spirit-canoe: how uncanny that it is such a craft in this piece!spooky :o

Hewey: Im not too sure where the surface decoration may or may not go at this stage. Maybe nothing at all..?

Another couple destined for retail. The piece on the right is a simple design inspired by tapa-cloth motif.

Oh, alright. I HAVE been working on another couple of new tikis... :lol:

Sharp-toothed Wahine...

And, er... 'Hei-Tiki Hapu' (pregnant)..?

(added some breasts)...

And tommorrow's Friday!! Dont think anything will be leaving the workshop this week...

Happy Tiki-creating all!

Tama :)

T
Tipua posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 7:45 PM

On 2007-05-03 02:40, Tamapoutini wrote:

(added some breasts)...

That's cool!

I have actually carved a hei-tiki/venus of Willendorf (this is what yours reminds me of).

I bought a Venus of Willendorf soapstone pendant ages ago. I carved a tiki-like face with staring eyes and protruding tongue with a chip of quartz. My theme was that as earth is the mother, the life giver, she also shall consume you in the end (the venus of Willendorf has been interpreted as representing the earth goddess). I've since lost her somewhere, but yours is much better anyway.

For those who don't know what the Venus of Willendorf is, she is a paleolithic carving of a rather fat (not pregnant apparently) woman (with huge breasts, but no face) made of Oolitic limestone and carved approximately in 24,000-22,000 BCE, found at a site near Willendorf, a village in Lower Austria near the city of Krems.

Nobody quite knows why she was carved, but of course there are many theories. One of those being that she was perhaps the first "sex object"! :)

B

Wow

You are bringing your tikis to a brand new direction that is very beautiful.

To me there is a new trend of smooth lines and curves in your new projects. I'm sorry not to have more vocabulary to describe it better but I can say that your going in a very nice way :)

Respect,

Benjamin

B

More Excellence from Tama! You Really have a thing for the Ladies I an see, you must really be a ladies man for sure. I really love these girls, Especially the Woman with Child who has breasts, a Big departure for you. You are a Brave soul but I guess your peers are used to your playing around now. Just Keep doing just that, thats where some of your finest work comes from.
You Really make me want to get out to my garage and carve and maybe I will today. THANKS!

Hello-ha everyone! Another Tiki-week ahead...

Tipua: Thanks for adding the Woolendorf Venus; she is a special favourite of mine too. I almost bought a replica a year or so back but it was pretty expensive. I recently bumped into a couple of Sheela-ngs' in a book I bought too; like seeing a new/old friend, haha.

Thanks Benella: This 'new direction' has been a bit of a closeted affair for some time. Ive always been a bit tentative about showing work like this in NZ but plan to test a few on the local market very soon. Wish me luck, gulp.

BenZ: ahh, the Laaii-dies..!! I must admit I have a soft-spot for them. :blush: er, I mean... I like carving them..? eek, stop.

Tiki-Magic anyone..? Ta-dahh!
Believe it or not, the Meda-tiki from pg1 (sold nearly a year ago) came floating back to me today...

spooky! :o

And in a flash of inspiration last night (waiting for Mrs TheTerrible to get off the phone so I could 'dial-up', groan...), decided on the suface details for the 7-Sistahs breastplate.

The 'spirit-canoe' won through in the end. Im not too sure how its going to be done just yet but I like the way the canoe-form itself can be viewed as either 'boat' or 'sky'... If you see it as boat, the figures are the crew of the boat. If you see it as sky, the figures become the seven stars of the Pleiadian cluster. Convinced? haha

Better split; Im supposed to be protecting the house from the kids :lol:

Tama-TheTerrible :)

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 2:05 AM

Mate, to me just looks like the canoe has a leak :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's coming along very nicely :D

P
Paipo posted on Mon, May 7, 2007 3:33 AM

I see them forming a bridge across the sea, in which case they could represent islands or a migratory route :tiki:
PS: The way you've drawn the linked arms reminds me a lot of the chevron piece you showed me.

On 2007-05-03 02:40, Tamapoutini wrote:

Sneaky: I think we are lucky that the Maori culture is so embracing of its' contemporary artists. It seems that since its' very conception or distinction as Maori Art, there have been skilled 'maverick' artists pushing the boundaries of traditonal work. This is even more true of todays' artists I think. There is some amazing stuff being done in all genres: carving, weaving/textiles, dance/performance, etc.
I wasnt aware that the crescent motif symbolised the spirit-canoe: how uncanny that it is such a craft in this piece!spooky :o
[end quote]

Tama,

I kinda' thought you might say you hadn't heard that, as my friend/Prof. is privy to some cutting edge theories, info. etc. being an "Art Historian". That is awfully spooky! Sometimes I have an intuitive artistic moment that rings true in a larger sense later and it always does make you think about the "ancients" or spirits/ancestors working through you...
I think the intuitive way you work leaves you open to those moments of universal symbolism or spookies or whatever. :)

The S. Pacific art scene IS really exciting right now. As far as dance/performance groups the Sisters of the Pacific group does some really great stuff.

I tried to find anything about those crescent motifs after looking at your piece and saw some stories referring to it as a symbol for rainbows as well. I love what you are doing with this breastplate. Really one of my favorites ever. :drink:

Aloha!
ST

PS
Nice tahtahs on those other pieces and the tapa flower is sweet too!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-07 22:20 ]

Hi all. A quick update on this weeks tiki-progress...

Hewey: 'I just spent six months in a leaky waka'..? :lol:

Paipo: sea-bridge; I like it! - and werent there seven canoes in the 'Great Fleet'?, or is that too much to hope for..? :wink:

Sneaky: I have witnessed so many spookies that I dont really bother looking too deeply for 'meaning' anymore; I know its in there, all around & connecting in so many ways (see above). I guess that if you work with strong 'intentions'/focus for long enough, every line/shape/shade/movement etc become saturated or imbued with whatever it is you are trying to achieve. but I could be wrong! :lol:
-I Googled up a bit about the 'Sisters of the Pacific' after hearing they were performing at the coming London Luau. Sounds interesting...

Some more progress on 'Hei-tiki Hapu'...

And the Sharped-toothed Wahine, all finished...

Winter is setting in. We are still having some nice clear sunny days but my water-dribble never lies! Soon it will be time to start filling the water reserviour from the HOT tap! I cant imagine the pre-contact Maori did much pounamu hunting/working during the winter months, although their methods would have kept them warm at least. Hard to keep the tropical paradise feel going in a wooly hat & thermal undies! :lol:

Take care, keep warm!

-And was no-one impressed with the tiki-magic..? (I thought it was a good trick...) :lol:

T :)

Simply amazing work. Love the mix of classic stuff and the items with 'a twist'.

B

OK OK OK, How did you get those MAGIC Shots, inquiring minds want to know??? Pure luck and Fast camera lens? Hidden wires and props? Ahhh, help from the Ancients as they have been very active in your shop recently anyway. How did you do it?
On another note your 'Hei-tiki Hapu' seems to me magically coming to life in an eerie way. I really am falling under her spell,,,or is it the T3 spell?
More later.

Tama,
Okay, I thought you had a stack of coins or something under the levitating hei-tiki, how DID you "float" them?

Ha ha... :lol:

BenZ, Sneaky: All Ill say is that there was no camera or computer trickery involved (actually you were pretty close with your guess Sneaky. I was just mucking around. :D )

Cheers Kon-Hemsby! Yep, my head is kind of living in two worlds. I love the traditional/old works but am also living 'in the now' & realise that technologies have changed. I know the early maori would have embraced the technology we have today & believe the artisans would have easily held their own in producing even finer work if they had them.

TGIF! Been one of those weeks & Im pleased to have a weekend of NOT carving ahead of me. A chance to kick back & watch you weekend whittlers doing your thing... Chop Chop!!

TTT :wink:

T
Tipua posted on Sat, May 12, 2007 3:48 AM

Hey Tama,
I've been feeling a little under the weather of late :( so I haven't been doing much of anything except reading.
I was browsing through one of the many books in my possession today when I came across a chapter on "ship symbols" in prehistoric cultures, check this out:

not exactly like yours, but kinda... There ARE seven figures in that boat!

Interesting, no?

B

Yes, Very Interesting. More evidence that the ancients visit us and cause us to create things we think are new and original as they snicker in the background while we scratch our heads wondering How That happened?

F

Excellent stuff Tama, look forward to the finished piece.
Regards
Flynny

H

spirit-canoe----INSANE! Love at first sight!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone. Nothing too exciting from me. The past week has been spent overseeing some land development over my back fence (see below). It is tiki-related in a way, as this will one day house my new workshop/tiki-space; my current garage set-up will make way for a desperately needed 3rd bedroom.

Cheers Tipua, BenZ, Flynny & Surf n Turf! The 'Seven-Siters/Spirit Canoe' hasnt been looked at again but will, when the time is right (ripe?)...?

Spot the orange dinosaur in my back garden:

Dirt...

dirt...

and more dirt. (workshop to sit roughly on that lighter coloured patch to the right)...

OK, it doesnt look like much at the moment but you wait: Big workshop/tiki-hut/guesthouse, BBQ area, vege garden, a few sheep (no jokes please), chooks, etc. Paradise! Stay tuned - at least for the workshop; Ill spare you the sheep... :lol:

With all the excitement of finally seeing our tangled, thorny jungle turned into something more recognisable as 'land', I was a nervous ball of 'starting' projects, although I did actually manage to finish a couple & may have something for the TC Marketplace tommorrow.
The 'Box' takes on a fresh influx anyway. At least I wont have to do much thinking during the cold winter months... There are a few reasonably exciting things going on amongst this bunch, but Ill wait & introduce them as they are worked on further. Thanks guys for getting me through an expensive few days! :lol: :cry:

Yes, thats a wee 'Tang'/fishing God at the bottom there; my very first!..

Its the first time Ive used this particular batch of stone; beautiful colour but I am having a bit of trouble with 'pinging'/chipping. Fingers crossed that he makes it through...

Haven't even had a lot of time for keeping up with the TC hap'nins so I hope you all are keeping well & productive.

Oh yeah: steps have been taken towards getting a real live www.ebsite underway. Still in its' conceptual stage at this point but this year for sure!! Stay tuned...

Happy carving all!

Really? It looks more like your involved in a disparate search for a new source of pounamu! Find any yet?

B

Wow, FANNNCY! Now I'm Totally Jealous,, New workspace/play space/ live space, FUN Space. Very Cool.This should be a real motivator, now get to WORK!
That 'Tang was the first one in the group that caught my eye, he looks very promising. They All do of course but he the most maybe because he is different for you and partly because he looks so Fantastic. Nice stuff.
Top row, second from the right looks a bit above the rest too I think. Of course you can't see/say much yet because they are still in rough-out form, but.....
Can't forget the tiny wee fella who is finished too, he's a little Sweetie. I think I am beginning to really love the wee folks that you seem to do so Well!
Cheers.

T
Tipua posted on Tue, May 22, 2007 8:01 PM

On 2007-05-22 05:19, Benzart wrote:
Wow, FANNNCY! Now I'm Totally Jealous,, New workspace/play space/ live space, FUN Space. Very Cool.This should be a real motivator, now get to WORK!
That 'Tang was the first one in the group that caught my eye, he looks very promising. They All do of course but he the most maybe because he is different for you and partly because he looks so Fantastic. Nice stuff.
Top row, second from the right looks a bit above the rest too I think. Of course you can't see/say much yet because they are still in rough-out form, but.....
Can't forget the tiny wee fella who is finished too, he's a little Sweetie. I think I am beginning to really love the wee folks that you seem to do so Well!
Cheers.

I agree wholeheartedly with Ben. I too like the second from the right even if it's still in rough out form (I know from your previous works that you don't stray far if at all from your rough-outs) as I do love them side-hanging tiki.

I also like the sizeable hei tiki, first on the left. There's nothing like a nice, big tongue is there?

Will your Tang-man be a pendant too?

Great stuff!

[ Edited by: Tipua 2007-05-22 20:03 ]

H

There are happen beautiful things on this thread. I especially enjoy the figures in the boat and the awesome Tangaroa. Thanks for posting such great work.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 3:47 PM

Wow, double-wow! Those all look like little green candies...! That little Tang looks great. I can see where you are heading and I think he is gonna be sweet. Lets hope the flaking stays to a minimum - however, if he chips up pretty bad, finish him out looking like a damaged artifact and I will buy him for a "reduced" rate colon smirk colon. I'm serious.

I also really like the mark up of the top guy second from the right. If you carve him out to look anything like your lines, he will be a really magnificent piece. I really dig it when you push boundaries!

My hat is off to you Tama. So many pieces, in so many states of completion, all looking fantastic. Excellent stuff. Thanks for posting those. You made my day!

-G

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 4:28 PM

Sweet lines on the Tang, but I feel like there's something missing? :wink:
Beautiful hei-tiki as always... I like the one everyone has commented on too...the little ears and skull-like head give it a spooky/ancient vibe. "Archaic contemporary"
I'll have to come out for a "sod-turning" ceremony soon when the weather is more conducive....

Well if I had known what the responce to Tangs' would be, I would have started carving them years ago! This wee guy could have gone to a number of different homes. Not bad for a small, unfinished & admittedly less-than-perfect piece! Or is the hope of a reduced price..? :lol: :wink:

Due to lightening responce this piece is going to a good friend and supporter. Im so pleased to be able to offer you a 'first'. *(Ill email you over my morning cuppa tommorrow)

Timid: I have indeed been wandering around in the rain up to my knees in mud, searching for pounamu. No joy... :( -And thanks! :)

Ben, Tipua, G, Paipo: Im holding myself back from that slick side-hanger. He/she(?) was worked out on paper first. I only hope Ive got the point of balance right...gulp (love the new signature micro-tiki Paip': second smallest stone tiki in the world isn't it? :lol: :wink:

Gman: sorry Brah; you must have been too busy chizzlin or staring at the goldfish. :lol: There will be more - and Im getting the message that perhaps I need to start producing some smaller, more affordable lines.

My first Tangaroa contd...

Done.

*As predicted there are a few imperfections in the stone which (with permission) I may post later in the Stone:Q&A thread, just to show one of the things to try & look for/avoid when buying stone. In this particular case it was pretty hard to forsee the 'shaky' nature of the stone as it was so dark. Bummer; such a nice colour. The stone at the back bears the worst of the scars but luckily the front escaped almost unscathed.

and who's this..?

(USA/Wyoming jade...) :o

I guess the first one to contact me secures 'first refusal'...

B

You have My permission.. Ha Awesome piece that came out pretty quick T3! I really love that little guy. The next one will be just as cool too, wish I could afford him, he would be fighting my Hei-Tiki for neck space right now. Has the thought of your new work/other space given you a shot in the arm? You seem to be energized here recently, and that is a Good thing.

B

Hi T3,

I like tangaroa in general but I love yours.
Really good job on. Very smooth and neat.

Bravo

Benjamin

J

I'd be to excited to carve as well, a new workshop, new tiki back yard, I couldn't stay focused. That tang is great.

You said you roughed out all those hei-tikis in one day?

J

Love those Tangs...........Come to BALLSomic.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 6:10 PM

Tama,

I'm glad you found something to shake it up a bit. The new Tangs are a great addition to your line. The three-legged fellow is certainly looking good and out of US jade at that! Who would have figured NZ carvers would be utilizing US stone.....

-G

Ditto what all have said about the tangs! Great piece there, good to see the new Tang has a "tang" too! :)

I will always have a soft spot for tangs and yours kick ass!

H

Great work as always. Like everybody else, Im really liking the way the Tang’s are coming out too.

just perfection my friend

T

Yeah, just one day? WOW!

Tama!
Those Tangs are tangtastic! That whole table of hei-tikis is a wonder to behold! You just get in the groove ! And now you're gonna be able to have an official artistic place of refuge! The fact that it's a wee bit away from the home will give you that perfect undistracted atmosphere! Rock on Good Buddy!

Aww, Tangs eveyrone! Tangs very much!.. :lol:

Special Tangs to BenZ, Benella, FreddieBalls, Gman, Sneaky, Kaimuki, Hewey, Marcus & Lil Lost Kinny... Tangs for watching guys!

JohnnyP/TikiGap: All those tikis in one day?? I wish! :lol: No, most of them were started during the week I had the digger here & the two finished ones only needed sanding. My point was that I couldnt commit to working on anything; just kept starting new projects whilst keeping my eye on the driver & watching the clock (digger hire = $$$)

Ive been thinking about how I approach posting my work here and have come to the decision that Im going to keep my posting of new work until after the piece is finished: I will still post 'progressions' but wish to do so 'after the fact'. Hard to explain but I think it will help improve the flow of my production & ease a little nervousness until I know a piece is going to survive the birthing process... :wink:

So here's the first that sneaked under the radar. This is made from the same Wyoming jade as Tang-2. It is an amazing stone; very hard and even grained. A jade carvers dream!
But the really special thing is the colour!(color!) Until held up to the light it is a very dark olive green, almost black...

But hold it up to light and... :o :o :o

Another part of my TC-thinking has been in regards to the marketplace. I havent really utilised it as I had intitailly intended, & so am gearing up to unleash a few new surprises soon. Smaller and more affordable, but all unique and designed especially with the TC'er in mind... Stay tuned.

Happy carving all!

B

On 2007-05-29 01:35, Tamapoutini wrote:

Another part of my TC-thinking has been in regards to the marketplace. I havent really utilised it as I had intitailly intended, & so am gearing up to unleash a few new surprises soon. Smaller and more affordable, but all unique and designed especially with the TC'er in mind... Stay tuned.

Coooooooolllllllll

double cool!

B

Tama,, That Wyoming Jade really IS Nice looking Stuff, and when you do what you do to it, it Looks even More Spectacular. Love this guy.
I can definitely understand your thinking on the progress shots of work that is incomplete. It Really Does add pressure to reveal the process not knowing if something is going to come up and bite you and then you have to either fix it, send it to the box of 80 or trash it and explain the whole deal. But then we get no posts from you showing your work for longer periods of time and that hurts Us. Oh well. It is a pleasure to see your work and it's Very beneficial to see what progress shots that we can when ever we can.
Awesome stuff SIR!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies