Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

B

Looking most Excellent Tama for sure. I just Love this guyz expression. Have you given any more thought to the earring post type connection to the Fez. I think the ease of removing it for various reasons would be a big plus.
What else are you gonna pull outta the "Box of 80"? Can't wait to see what's next!

Thanks for your advice about the earring attachments Ben; good idea, but the design brief states that this is to remain a permanant fixture of the fez.

The infamous '80' does still hold a surprise or two that hasnt been shown here, and there are always new ideas just around the corner. You'll just have to stay tuned.

So many tikis; so little time... Happy carving all!

Tama

T

On 2007-01-05 01:05, Tamapoutini wrote:
Tommorrow belongs to bread n butter work; finalising a small group for restocking a local gallery shop. Ill try to get a pic once theyre done just to remind you what an ordinary non-tiki day looks like.

Take care Y'all. Tama :)

Yo T! I'm still sittin here patiently awaiting your post... :wink:
Itz been 3 days now...

On 2007-01-08 09:46, tikigap wrote:
Yo T! I'm still sittin here patiently awaiting your post... :wink:
Itz been 3 days now...

I know, I know. Im the worst for making rash promises arent I?

The shop stock still isnt quite done. Believe it or not, Im waiting for the right tides to make the delivery trip more worthwhile - there are a few great jade fossicking beaches on the way but you've got to time it right to be in with a chance...)

Here is the group all done except for the toggles.

And some more progress on the Fez...
All carved up & been through initial clean-up (diamond cloth) stage. Still a little of this to do & then on to sanding. Another session should see the small attaching holes made (gulp) & sanding done. Oh yeah, eyes too perhaps..?

Not long now Bullet... :D

Tama

T

Great stuff TTT! Thanks for posting it! That fez guy is really nice. I didn't realize that you would use diamond cloth BEFORE sanding. What is the grit of diamond cloth?

On 2007-01-09 12:01, tikigap wrote:
I didn't realize that you would use diamond cloth BEFORE sanding. What is the grit of diamond cloth?

Hi Tgap. Yep, the diamond cloth is an intermediate step between diamond tools & carborundum paper. Althought the diamond cloth is of much finer grits than the grinding tools, it still leaves its' own scratches which also must be removed.

After 'dry-burring' at low revs (5-10,000rpm) I move on to 400 then 800grit diamond cloth. These remove the 1000's of tiny scratches that cause the 'frosted' look. From there I usually hand sand with wet/dry paper starting from 240 or 400 grit.

Hope this helps.

B

Tama, the Fez piece is gonna make Bullet, One Lucky so'n so, it is really coming to life.
Ho Hum Bread and Butter work, ho hummm. Your B'n B stuff looks better than anything I could ever do. More lucky people, don't know what they have got.

T

After 'dry-burring' at low revs (5-10,000rpm) I move on to 400 then 800grit diamond cloth. These remove the 1000's of tiny scratches that cause the 'frosted' look. From there I usually hand sand with wet/dry paper starting from 240 or 400 grit.

Hope this helps.

Yeah man! It helps a lot! I'm there right now!

More questions!

When you go to 400 then 800, is that wet? With water?

When you go with the wet/dry paper, is that wet or dry?

Thanks and regards...

Greg

On 2007-01-09 16:58, tikigap wrote:
More questions!

When you go to 400 then 800, is that wet? With water?

When you go with the wet/dry paper, is that wet or dry?

First question first: there are no real rules as to how best approach any particular aspect of jade carving, only preferences which over time you come to call your own. I personally use anything below 800 'wet' (with water) & anything over/including 'dry'... The main difference is that the paper tends to last a little longer when being used wet, as the water helps flush away the dust. Working dry quickly clogs the paper.

I like to go dry when nearing the final grades as it is easier to see where you are going/have been this way & can ensure that all areas are being reached.

At Jade-skool we were taught to go: 180, wet then dry - 240, wet then dry - 360, wet then dry, etc... but this is total overkill on all but the very best stones. *A lot of jade can be 'oversanded', bringing out pitting in the stone(orange-peel) The same can occur if the paper is being used until too blunt - change paper with some frequency (after a few swipes, 400 grit becomes 200, then 100... it wears out pretty quickly).

Experimentation is the best way; simply trying different approaches to see what works best for you.

Good luck! Tama

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 9:22 PM

i'd like to reccomend the "swiss paper" from smokey mountain wood carvers. it has a very tough, almost denim cloth that it's adhered to. very tough stuff. works wet and dry.

http://www.woodcarvers.com/swisssand.htm

Thanks pdrake; sounds a bit like a product we used to use at jade-skool commonly called 'clothback': supposedly a good material for tackling stone with hard & soft areas in the one stone - only it must be better: (the stuff we were given seemed to wear out very fast...)

Not a lot done today: one vagina drawn up is all (recently sold on eBay & about to undergo gender reassignment at new owners request...)

Had a nice surprise in the mail though: A Benzart/Gecko collaboration... (perfect length Ben! Nothing wrong with your binding either; the bead toggle holds incredibly strongly; better than my own I would say..!)

Quickly commandeered by my son Te Koha... (dont worry Ben; I snatched it back soon after the pic was taken. Im not very good at sharing my toys! :lol:)

*Thanks so much Ben! Not an original, but still manages to bring a tear to my eye... sniff (happee tears/likee very much!!)

Tama :)

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-01-11 00:04 ]

P

Jeez that little fella is growing up fast - you'll be able to get those wee hands sanding tikis in no time! If that moai goes missing you'll know where to look. Lucky for me mine is still way too small to worry about her coveting my precious things, but if she's anything like her mother she'll be pestering me for pendants in no time!
Looking forward to tomorrow night :wink:

B

Thanks Tama, Nice to see you sold that Sweet lady on ebay, tough that you have to give her the life threatning gender change(The Ancients abhor that!). I really love her red eyes too among the other things talked aabout earlier.
My Beat toggle was a "Materials on hand" type thing, trying to find something that would match the color of the piece. I thought I made it too tight at first then found the "Noose" will slide open or tighter with mild persuasion. I'm glad you and your son like it, I know it isn't much, but maybe it'll hold you over until I get to your name on the list for your BigBenZart Moai/Hei-Tiki, which, the way I work could take a generation or 2, Hee hee. Perjhaps your son will like that too?
Back to work

New piece just listed in the Marketplace :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 4:24 PM

:D

On 2007-01-11 16:24, GMAN wrote:

:D

*Yeah, Im saving up for one of those! :D

Tama

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 5:17 PM

Yeah, rub it in G...just remember, Tama and I both have your address!
Signed - another member of the "I'll have to make do with my resin Benzart until I can afford the real thing and my name comes up on the list" club.

PS Tama, you wearing your Benzart tonight? What about dinner beforehand?

v TC Thread v

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-01-11 17:19 ]

J

I don't even have a resine Bezart, Sniff Sniff. I had to make my own(not very good at that).

Cool pictures of the family.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-01-11 17:35 ]

Hi everyone.

Well 07' is off to a cruisey start & still plenty of holiday fun going on. Visitors dropping in most days & plenty of excuses for not working.

JP: have you talked nicely to Mr bZart?

Managed to get some more done on the Fez-tiki today; all sanded now & attachment holes successfully done. All he needs now is some inlays & attaching...

Tiny 'hidden-holes' to bind tiki onto hat. Ive only made two attachment points as this is more of a precautionary device than the method of attachment. Im thinking that the glue will do the real holding. *Ive had an email from a fellow craftsperson recommending a particular type of glue from the States. If you are prepared to wait ANOTHER week or two Bullet, I intend to try and track some down, otherwise I am pretty confident in the stuff I presently use..?

And the sex-op was a complete success; the surgeon is very happy with the results. Hope the patient/recipient likes it! (the same fellow who recommended the glue in fact)

I think the Ancients were in agreement with the customer on this occasion Ben; in their usual jovial way they delivered up a 'freckle' in just the right spot* :lol:

• :lol:

(I dont know where all of this recent vulgarity has come from; Im a nice person honestly :D

And finally, a wee bit of 'play' this afternoon saw the start of a new range. Ideas are bubbling on these; stay tuned...

Happy carving all! Tama :)

H

Looking good Tama!
I must admit I cringed a little about the reassignment, but it came out nice.

And the three heads?
Manny, Moe and Jack?
Larry, Moe and Curly?
Groucho, Harpo and Zeppo?

I guess I'll just have to wait patiently and see...

B

Definitely huge masterpieces.
Bravo.

Benjamin.

B

Yeah, What IS Going on with this sex stuff..Sex changes, freckles in the right spot. Snow-flake eating tiki, what's next, I'm afraid to see. Ho Ho Ho! Must be the holiday cheer and time off for good behavior. The Ancients Must be full of mischief these days as they are Really giving you the work over, FunFUnFUnNY
That GMAN is being a tease isn't he, BAd Boy
I love the looks of the hei-Tiki head trio and the possibilities of where they are going
Glad to have you back..

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 15, 2007 6:14 AM

Hey Tama, I was also a bit worried when you stated your plan to carve into that Hei-tiki again. I'm glad the operation was a success and that the ancients helped out a little to. Things in the right places make all the difference.

It's nice to see the Bullet tiki back on the table and so close to being finished. I think you are being very smart to add the stitching holes to the back. I just don't trust glues enough. He looks great. I like that you left the flat sides on him and slightly rounded them off. I like that look alot.....It just feels "substantial"

Now the three hei-tiki faces is a new twist. Have you done these before? Please post updates when you can. Very nice! Sizes?

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 16, 2007 5:49 PM

I think you put that freckle there man... :)

Both her and the fez tiki coming along good :)

T

Hey Tama! Is this one of your guys?

Tiki Stamps!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2007-01-16 20:10 ]

Hi guys.

No carving today as I was hanging out with my boy. (got my pendant back Ben :wink: ) He can now identify and prounounce "Moai"! Ahhh, so proud...)
The two of us dropped in on Paipo for a coffee & a chat & a perve at his latest...

Thanks Ben & BenZ!

Heath/Gman: oh Yea of little faith... :) Somehow I just knew that this one needed 'something' & when asked if the change was possible agreed straight away. Came out ok eh? I was going to make it a little, er differently, but when I saw the spot I knew it was time to stop. Couldnt bring myself to obliterate such a fortuitous gift! (the new owner likes it! yay/phew!)

**How could I have put that there Hewey? Im not that good! Wouldnt put it past Paipo though (I have a sneaking suspicion that he is a 'rock-whisperer' & carves by telling the stone what to do; and the stone agreeing... :lol: )

No names for the three heads just yet Heath. Ill have to think of something suitable & let you know next time theyre posted... (theyre about 1 1/2inches each side approx) Never done just a head before & am hoping they might just be a cheaper solution for those who cant quite stretch the budget for a whole tiki :lol: Im thinking that I might try hanging at least one of them on an angle; like the hei-tiki pose. Not sure though...

Tikigap: No, not one of mine. Pretty sure thats an Old one, but the mistake is flattering!
*Now I hope you're ok Tgap? The Maori Hei-tiki seems to have a hold on you... :lol: I know what its like to get caught by them... Better watch out; you'll be wearing one next :wink:

Cheers Everyone!

TamaTeTerrible :)

T

On 2007-01-17 00:10, Tamapoutini wrote:
...you'll be wearing one next :wink:

Funny how that works! Thanks!

The Fez-Tiki has eyes!

*Let me know what you think Bullet. They're not glued in yet but this is just how I would place them; pattern-wise. It is possible to make a plainer/non-patterned pair if you prefer, but I figured that such a zany character needed something siutably punchy..? Pale blue-green colour.

**Thanks again Tgap; posting tommorrow! :wink:

I know; back to the bench with me...

He looks perfectly crazy, er, happy, er, you know what I mean. :wink: I love the patterned eyes, it adds to his character. Nice!

J

It is hard to kkep up with this thread, you blink and something new and wonderful pops up. From Freckles to zany, Happy Happy

JP

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 17, 2007 6:32 PM

I think rotate the eyes a little, so the ends of each line are level/even. At the moment the eyes look crazy, and kind of angry... I think just straight crazy would suite this guy better. My 2c

Looks great though

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 17, 2007 7:10 PM

"At the moment the eyes look crazy, and kind of angry"

Perfect says I. That bugger NEEDS to have eyes that look crazy and angry. I love what you do Tama. Rita will not let the dark wee-guy out of her sight. She wears him every day. He's helped her save a buncha peeps by now.....

-Gman

B

Fez guy looks great. Of course you matched the eyes Line for Line like it was just anotherfinger to carve, No big deal you say? Yeah right. I have spent hours trying to get Half that good of a match. I'm thinkinKingsey will love this guy and his Fez wearing tome will increase dramatically! Now See what you've gone and done? :) :) :)

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 18, 2007 8:31 PM

Tama,

I know you are busy working, but I really miss your daily posts.

-Gman

Cheers FDaddy: I do pride myself on taking the time to pick/make nicely matching eyes. Just a point of difference that Ive noticed most carvers treat with a bit of a 'she'll be right' attitude.

JohnnyP: Hope you're keeping up...

Hewey: Thanks for your 2c; I did play around with them but prefer the way I showed (my 2c) :lol: Still waiting to get the deciding verdict from TKD...

Benz: Thanks for the props. If anybody is making it look easy its YOU! Fancy churning out masterworks on your first attempts; I should just quit now before you really start to show me up! :blush:

Gman: Glad Rita likes'ee's her little guy. Sorry Im not posting quite as regularly as I started out but you are quite right: busy, busy... Thanks for watching mate!

Just to make up for it G, Ill bring you up to speed on the past couple of days... The Fez-tiki is on hold until I hear back about the eyes &/or the glue Im waiting for arrives, so yesterday saw a solid heads-down on the three 'Heads' - still no names...

(Although this fella has a name: 'Mine' :lol: )

Still a fair bit to do on these guys; another day...

And today saw a new one started. I already had the toki/adze roughed out (one of the '80') & a flash of inspiration finally found a more creative use for it. The tiki is on one side only.

Still all scratched up at the moment,

but a quick squirt of WD-40 does wonders in helping to see whats going on...

Whoops, dinner's on the table. Better split.

Happy carving all! Tama :)

Nice HeiTiki there Tams!
Glad to see nothing dirty on this one!
Those three heads are great! the middle triangular one is my fave!
We need to hook up all this TC Creativity to a giant generator!
It would supply power to millions!

J

Three heads are better than none.

Is the adze going to be a pendant?

And yes, I am keeping up now.

JP

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 21, 2007 5:59 PM

That tiki carved into the adze is great :)

B

Another nice one Tama, I love how you created a frame and fit the tiki into it so Snugly. And Such a neat little guy too, all scratched up or not.
The Trio still promises to be an excellent bunch especially the one called "MINE. (you have my shipping Addy? Right).
All Smoke and Mirrors making things look eazy. When people think you are a master then everything you do, including Duds, are masterpieces. I may actually learn about carving before I pass along and join the Ancients in the sky.
Just keep pumping out these beauties!

Hi guys. Here's an update for you, image-heavy just the way you like it...

LLT: Not all of my work is dirty you know! :wink: Which reminds me; Im still waiting for a special email from you... The centre head ('Mine') is my favourite too, hence the title.

Cheers Hewey!

Ditto JohnnyP: yep, the tiki-toki is a pendant; see below...

And Benz: Thanks for your unceasing support mate. Long may we all keep pumping out the 'wee heathen devils'...

First up is the finished(?) Hei-tiki/toki. I say (?) as this one has an interested buyer who may or may not prefer paua inlays for the eyes...

And one of the '80' gets dusted-off & worked on. An interesting marbled jade commonly (& not particularly correctly) marketed as Marsden (district) 'flower jade'. The area is famed for its' 'usable' yellow/brown/gold stained stone; basically caused by oxidisation & usually the death of jade. This isnt the most fantastic example of its type but the stuff is VERY hard to come by these days & VERY expensive when you do...

Im still carving wet at this point & have a few areas still to attend to (shoulders & a bit of level-tweeking) before moving on to 'dry-burring' and sanding. Should be done before the weeks out.

*One of the three nameless Heads has broken away from the group & is vitually ready for sanding too. He already has a pair of eyes waiting (Fez-tiki Mk1 eyes...)

Stay tuned - Your comments keep this poor shed-bound bloke from feeling the isolation. Thanks y'all!

TTT :)

B

HeLLo TaMMa, I Really Love this last guy. The Coloring looks like it will be unbelievable, but the carving semsextra special, Nice and tight. I realy like the Toki piece too, but this one is the one.....That year-end time off really primed you up great since everyhing that you have touched this year has been outstanding. We need to get you More time off in the future. You're making me smile already today.

Thanks Ben. You have an incredible eye for spotting these things; I was just thinking the same thing about this guy ('Goldie'). Proportionally speaking he is pretty well hooked up & is shaping up to be a particularly nice piece.
**Some more time off would be great, I feel like I could use it already. Are you offering to ask Mrs Terrible for me..? eek!, you're brave! :lol:

Carved, dry-burred, WD-40'ed & ready for sanding...

That's all Im good for today; heading off to town shortly. Might pull a late night tonight as I have a few things Id like to have finished tommorrow (but we all know not to hold our breath waiting for my promises right?)

Happy carving y'all! TTT

B

There, I Asked for you!.
Yes, I Know how to Spot'em, Can't hide anything from me. This one looks even Better with the little attention you have given so far. Really Crisp looking or something, can't put my finger on it. I'll have to see it in person to determine exactly what is so Eye catching about it.
So Hurry up and finish it up!

Thanks
Done yet

I'll be patient.

Maybe.

!

Well Ben; I think your message Mrs Terrible did it! We are about to head away for 24+hrs to family bach/holiday home. Not exactly 'getting away from it all' -we're taking them (kids) with us! It will still be nice to get away from work/computer/TV for a bit though. Guess what we have planned for tonight? No, not that - Monopoly! Im sure we must be the last people on earth who still play it :lol:

*Glad you like 'Goldie'. Tell you what; Ill post him over eh? I still have your address :wink:

Who's been a busy boi then? Well, I have... Need to be if I can justify skipping off around the countryside, right?

Remember this one? I dug it out not so long ago to illustrate the toki-turned-tiki from 'contact' times...

Remember this one? 'Skeletor' from the Jackass series...

How about this one? One of the nameless 'Heads' of course...

*All of the above are currently listed on eBay & elsewhere, but if no takers are found I might just drop the price a bit & bring them here (if anyone is interested in any of them, feel free to PM & pencil your name on 'em...)

Can I go now? Are you all Happee, Happee, Happee...??? ('scuse me, but Im all excited about 'roughing it' & hopefully getting a little reading done) Bliss!

Thats me; Im out the door...

Luv ya! Tama :)

PS: Ive privately befriended a couple of TC lurkers. Big hellos to Everlie & Shaki (haj)! Welcome...

B

Great, Fantastic, Awesome, Superlative, Right ON,WOW. Take your time Tama, no rush. I will start a Moai tomorrow, Make the cords 13" each. Wear him a bit if you like, sort of get him broken in if you want.yes happy, Happy Happy. More later.

B

On 2007-01-24 17:40, Tamapoutini wrote:

Carved, dry-burred, WD-40'ed & ready for sanding...

Did I read WD-40'ed ? I thought this was just for the hard doors :lol:
What do you use it for ? Is this good on wood ?

Thanks

Benjamin.

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-01-26 02:57 ]

J

It is always a treat looking through your post. May your vacation be filled with "Boardwalks"

JP

Hi all.

Ben: Ive got something for you...

KTD: Any moment now...

Ben: The WD-40 is just a temporary "polish" for the piece to get better pics! It really just hides the frosted dry scratched look and is helpful also during the carving process to show shape better.

JP: The break wasnt nearly long enough but very nice. Thanks for the props.

I was having a bit of a fondle with this pebble this morning...

and decided that there was a tiki in it (surprise, suprise...)

I have done a few similar things in the past & really enjoy having found a way to work these natural beauties (only the top 5-10% of beachpebbles are of good enough qualty) but still retain their sand-pecked finish & aqualine/lens shapes. It is sometimes almost impossible for me to commit to carving really nice stones. But they beg me...

It was only at this point that I decided to add some legs, until now the idea was to leave the lower section, au natural.

Spent a full day to get him to this point & just had to put him down. Sure to be finished soon...

Tuh-dah! This ones for you BenZart, with all humility (boy, its tough knowing that a piece is going to a Great Man of carving & who you KNOW is going to crawl into every nook and cranny with that critical eye) *Posting tommorrow

Its truly an honour to have this go to you Ben! A most deserving Man of mana, our TC Kaumatua...

On 2007-01-25 20:09, Benzart wrote:
I will start a Moai tomorrow...

Have I really been bumped that far up the list?? :D :D :D I told you not to push me ahead of anyone. *Did I mention that Ill be posting this tommorrow..? :wink:

Happy Happy, Joy Joy

Tama

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies