Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

H
harro posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2008 6:02 AM

great update Tama!

good to hear you still alive and enjoyed some tiki in Oz!

love the new pieces.

Aloha Tama!!! Really amazing stuff my friend.Thanks for sharin,aloha, mooney

Kia ora All!

Robin: Thankyou for the high-praise! Im really pleased that someone takes the time to look so closely! :lol: Its another of lifes great ironies/truths I suppose, but I can honestly say that the more I learn, the more I realise there is to learn - which does help keep the head to a reasonable size. There is always someone else out there whos work blows my mind..
BenZ: You stay away from stone - you make it look far too easy! :lol: :wink:
Cheers SeekSurf, Clarita, Mooney and Harro (Im sold on Aussie! Oi!) :)

A few new things to show you. Firsty, a small shop order of a frighteningly non-Tiki variety:

--

Saved by a monster-sized Hei-Tiki; my thickest yet at a full inch.. :o

This big girl has now been through a smoothing (diamond cloth)process but is still in the same state of shaping. Next job is to draw in & carve some facial detail, gulp...

--

And some of you may remember this Rei-niho begun some time ago:

I have changed & simplified the design a little and have been slowing working out the pierced holes. Working more by intuition than by strict design on this one & am not trying to stick to any traditional motif or example. In fact as well as its main Maori starting point..

..it's now starting to remind me of a Rarotongan staff-God, hmmmmm..

--

:) :) :)
Tama

That new "big girl" is looking great . . . is it going to be a display piece or a neck breaker?

And don't put down your "frighteningly non-Tiki" (Aussie jade?) pendants. They have a voice (and, I suspect. a feel) that is all their own.

R
Robin posted on Fri, Mar 21, 2008 5:27 PM

Beautiful stuff as always.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-03-24 16:25 ]

B

Sweet stuff Tama, I Love the Big girl, but mostly just Love seeing your stuff, it's so chocked full of lessons and it means you have been working :lol: You always carve So Many pieces to every one I carve, I guess I better get busy.

Ooooooh boy... lookie here!

Liking where this one is going! Nice work on all of it as usual, but this one is calling to me.
The staff-god is next on my to-do list!

aloha tama! had to do a bit of catch-up on your thread. awesome stuff, man! the littlies and big girl are on display together already in my mind. can't wait to see your staff guy take his rightful place. tiki-on, man!

J

OOhhhh, Two wonderfully complex projects to keep track of. Big girl looks wonderful.

:o WOW!

S

WOW I'm really digging the heavy looking hand size one.

On 2008-03-21 19:36, Benzart wrote:
You always carve So Many pieces to every one I carve, I guess I better get busy.

Thanks Ben, but how often do you see me actually finish a piece?? Its all about filling that Box.. :lol:

Big thanx..
LakeSurfer: Ill keep my eye out for your Staff-God; tricky/complex blighters! Im not planning on going too detailed on these little guys; more of a stylised/minimalised version
GreenTikiPat: I badly need to do a catch-up on your work too (and many others..) Thanks for the props!
JP, Hodad, Seeksurf - thanks guys!

SO, even though so much of my work never gets finished & a great deal of it may realistically never escape the Box, its great to be able to show at least the beginnings of it to a cool bunch of interested people. Thanks for watching everyone.

Quick update on the big girls' (Wahine-zilla?) facial progress:
I knew from early on that I was going to try for something a bit more naturalistic. Human faces are one of those subjects that I have always tended to shy away from but have also long dreamed of becoming more proficiant at:

She's getting there (still very much in the carving stage, in this last pic she has had a good oil up in order to 'flatten out' the appearance of the stone & better see whats going on) - looking a little more Negroid than Polynesian at the moment but I reckon a bit of refining & perhaps a lip/chin moko might pull her back.

She's going to have to go on the backburner for a bit now but she'll be back..

Happy carving All!

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 24, 2008 4:52 PM

Tama,

It seems that this lady is really pushing you out of your comfort zone. I love it. She has such a wonderful shape and glow...I can't wait to see what facial features you pull out of your bag. Another slobberific Tama stone; Droool.

-G

B

Yeah, I'm starting to drool already Tama, Dammit, and I promised myself I wasn't going to do that Any More! She has the potential to be a real Looker. Maybe if you banish her over here to my box of 81 she can pick up some bad habits and come home and show you a thing or two.( I did have to return her didn't eye? )You had the drawing really Beautiful then you carved out the lips different than the drawing AND you left plenty room to carve back to that drawing and those Sweet Lips. MMMMmm...
I'll have my Whole foot in my mouth if you don't shut me up here soon, SOONER!

B

Oh Yeah, she IS Sweet

She needs Big shoulders (like Mine, hint, hint :wink: )to keep her up where she can be seen. Back Burner? Damn! :( but I Do Understand. Just a Peek now and then will do the trick.

S

Yes, she is looking fantastic.

Very sweet piece going here,nice job Tama, Aloha , Mooney

B

MAybe you should enter in the swap as I'm sure whoever got her wouldn't ming a weeks wait or 2 or 10 or so, she's awesome.
I'm just bustin yer chops here my man

Cheers G, BenZ, BenZ, Mooney and BenZ! and Big thanks BenZart! :wink: How cool was the swap-draw eh?

Nothing too mindblowing. Just a quickie with a few recent pieces that slipped under the radar:

TTT :wink:

R
Robin posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2008 9:46 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.