Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

Hi gang. - Is it getting hot in here..? :D

Hewey: Im that disorganised that I dont even know the details for the show offhand. Ive got them here somewhere & will let you know in time.

Benella: Thanks for the vote of confidance but Im not convinced myself yet... The other two are contemporary adze-forms also in 'Aussie Black'. Kinda groovy but perhaps a bit simplistic & obvious stocking-fillers for this swanky affair; Ive seen a sneak preview of a couple of the others' work & am wishing Id taken it a bit more seriously. Where I combine jade with paua shell, this guy is using gold, titanium & damascus steel - yikes! Throw me a life jacket...

Squid: Cheers!

Gman: Thanks for the comps on the pebble piece. Sadly it's not for you & is going to recieve paua eyes; so there. :wink: In all honesty I wrangle with 'eyes - no eyes' constantly. Many people dont like them, but I am finding more & more, a tiki just doesnt seem finished without them...

Keona-Shaki: Dont... trust myself... to... comment. Must... try.
Thanks... so much... for... adding... that pic. And for... your... wonderful... comments. The... tiki... looks... great... on... you.

phew! I behaved myself. :wink:

Travelling Jones: :D

JohnnyP: :D

House of Ku: :D

Benzart: :D

Gman: :D :D :D

Have I forgotten anyone?: :D

Paipo: :D

ahem..!

BIG...

VERY BIG...

Tama :D

B

BIG...

Tama :D

This "Very Big" looks to be another outstanding piece, but what of the ALIENESS lurking on the Bottom half with the Long, Beautiful eyelashes?? Is that planned or did she just force her way into the jade on her own? Inquiring minds want to know?________________

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-02-17 05:44 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 17, 2007 7:07 AM

Freaky!!!

B

HHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE

I see her! I see her! Quite unintentional Im afraid Ben... This big fellow is hopefully to be an attempt at leaving a big round tummy poking right out there; trad-style. Because of this, I am going to have to drop the hands down to leg-level (I most often leave them 'on top of' the legs) & those 'eyelashes' are going to delineate fingers... again; trad-style/old-skool.

Aww, she's so cute though. Maybe I should leave her in?

Spent a few hours slabbing up some more stone yesterday which is why I have such a ridiculously large chunk to work with. You may see a few flaws towards the bottom right; these would foil any attempts at producing anything too small or thin. Shouldnt worry this guy tho'.

First job this morning is to suit-up and get back in there - Ill grab one of the crew to take some pics if I can...

Take care all!

Tama :)

B

Maybe if you just stuck the big loving Paua eyes in there and let the rest play out as normal?

On 2007-02-14 15:24, Tamapoutini wrote:
Big thanks Bullet; Looking good! (I know it took a while but did you have to rub it in with that growth..?) :lol: Can I ask what the other wee badge is?

i was clean shaven with no gray when you started feztiki. k'den brah! that's a small hula girl pin from the mai kai. thanks again, triple t!

Hi guys n gals.

Its been a tough start to the week so far & Ive only managed about 1 full day in the past 4-5. Our car died a death yesterday & after rescuing the whanau, the rest of the day was spent shopping for a new one (damn, there's my chance of a new motorbike set back by at least 12mnths). No accidents or injuries, the car just went pop! bum...

Im looking for a guy they call Flynny...

Didnt know whether to do this publicly or privately Flynny but here I am & here he is... The eyes arent glued in yet so there is still time to change them if you want. Dont be scared to send me back to the bench; I can always use these elsewhere. I didnt go for PERFECTLY matching patterns as I thought the natural/pebble would best suit something slightly more organic. Hope you like them (but wont cry if you dont :wink: ) Let me know...

Should see a few new things this week hopefully...

Take care all

Where are my manners? Forgot to reply...

Ben: Im not so sure about those paua leg-hole eyes. As pretty as she is the vibe of this tiki is to be BIG!, nothing more, nothing less. (WE'LL still see her anyway)

(*It looks as though I might be getting a new canine pal to keep me company in the workshop too Ben...)

Kings: Ah, I deserve it... :lol: (it gave me a few grey hairs too!)

B

Hey, No problem with the lady eyes, i Knew it was a stretch. Gonna be an Awesome piece. Sorry to hear about the car, they do that to ya when you least expect it. Just think, Theres nothing a guy loves more than getting a new set of wheels so heres your chance!
Your pebble is another sweet one. All pebbles can only dream of having such a fitting end or Beginning as it may be.
Oh goody, A Mutt in the shop to holler at and love. Haaaappy Happy Happy

B

I'll be quitting my job, selling everything I own, and getting on the next plane to New Zealand to learn how to carve from you, Sir Tamapoutini!

:o

F

Hi Tama
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
love the eyes.
Regards
Flynny

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 8:07 PM

Tama,

That pebble carving is so sweet. I love how the fingers just fade in. The more I look at your work the more I see the subtle cuts and transitions that really set your work apart from others. Truely amazing wurks. Rita and I wear ours stones daily. We feel very fortunate to have such beautiful NZ work.

colon happy colon

-Gman

Ben: You're right, theres nothing a guy likes better than buying a new set of wheels. In which case, I think my manhood must have just fallen off because this was the first vehicle Ive ever bought that actually made me depressed, probably the dearest too, moan... A highly sensible but even more highly un-cool, aqua blue/green, 7 seater 'Prairie Joy'; oh my Gawd. ack! Only Lotto can save me now...

TikiDav: Ah yes, its a tough life being an internationally acclaimed Rock Star, but its all for the fans, y'know... I could use some help actually, but remember the weathers not quite that of California...

Gman: Thanks for spotting those disappearing fingers. Its the first time Ive done anything like them on a pebble piece but they work in just perfectly without needing to 'clip' them off at the ends & thus the piece retains that little bit more of it's pebble-ness. Safely tucked away in the repetoire-bank now... So glad to hear that you guys are enjoying & wearing your stonz!

Hanging around for Flynny...

Im really happy with the outcome of this fella & also really pleased that he is going to a fellow carver/maker/tikiphile. He's got something extra special this one, a really strong 'presence' is the only way I can describe it. The eyes are particularly sucessful & seem to catch the light & hold the gaze in a way that no tiki of mine has ever done?! Dont ask me to explain; I have no idea. spooky. (hope Im not scaring you Flynny... :lol: )
He hangs just PERFECTLY! -I have spent my career trying to achieve that balance-point & bam! an old beachpebble does it for me. Its the extra thickness in the lower quarters that does it; my hei-tikis usually start as an even slab.

Id also just like to point out how much more difficult these pebble pieces are. At no time during the carving or sanding process can I afford to slip! If a diamond burr as much as skittered across the original surface there would be tears - and perhaps a remorseful attempt at somehow rectifying..? (dont worry mate, it didnt happen! there is one weeny 'pit' on the lip/beak but that was there already, I swear...)
There is also the problem of being limited by/dictated to by the stones natural parameters. With this sort of piece, if you want to lower or thin out a particular area, forget it. You are committed to retaining the naturalness & must set yourself certain 'rules' that cant be broken without compromising the concept. In short, I believe a sucessful pebble-tiki to be a particularly 'precious thing' (eh, Paip? not LOCAL??!) - You must know the 'League of Gentlemen' Flynny..?
Coming your way soon mate.

I cant wait any longer. Watch out Flynny; Im coming to Devon!

*No excuses from this man either people. There are some nice Tiki-materials accompanying this spooky stone on its journey... Get that bench cleaned off and ready Flynny; your training has begun...

Jadi Master T3-PO :)

B

Hmmm, I Don't remember that pit being there before you started, Ah, Yes it was, I went and looked. There IS Something about this guy that is special and above and beyond well done. What IS the 'perfect Hang" for the arm suspended Hel-Tiki, I Really have wondered about that and thought about how to balance one properly. I can see where this pebble carving is hit or miss OR just Knowing where to put the hole and all that stuff. You Know it doesn't "Just Happen".

F

Most excellent Tama. I have removed both hook and gold cross from my person, shaved an area of my sparse chest hair in anticipation and am about to enter a taxi to Heathrow airport to wait for said dignitary to arrive.
I am proud to be the new custodian of "Peb" believing that this is up there with your best.
I have a few pieces to finish for people this weekend but am planning a beachcoming trip to search for a few likely contenders and a workshop tidy together with a few photos to post of my working area, get that post up Benz.
Salivating
Flynny
Devons only apprentice Jadi

Hey Flynny; Im happy you're happy (were all :D :D :D )... er, no need to quite so far with the chest-hair thing young Jadi. A clean tunic will do :lol:

Just another quick reveal that has somehow slipped under the radar. (actually I sort of worry that you'll get start thinking 'oh yeah, another tradtional Hei-tiki, whatever; next! So I didnt bother posting any progress shots of this one...) 3 x 2 x 1/2inches approx.

cough-cough-eBay!-cough... 'scuse me :wink:

And I started another Tiki-toki, its the smallest yet & to me perhaps the most well proportioned. Ill more than likely put this one away for a bit now...

...theres been enough finishing lately & Im itching to make a start on a couple of new things that have been drawn up for a while. Check in tomorrow & there might just be a little big progress...what??!!

TamaTheTeaser :)

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-02-22 00:25 ]

J

On 2007-02-22 00:19, Tamapoutini wrote:

Just another quick reveal that has somehow slipped under the radar. (actually I sort of worry that you'll get start thinking 'oh yeah, another tradtional Hei-tiki, whatever; next! So I didnt bother posting any progress shots of this one...)

I'd like to see progress shots, actually a good progress video would be great.

Then the master can teach all the hopeful apprentices with action.

JP

B

Oh Yeah, Just "Slipped" a wee bit..It's OK, I know how it iz.
:) :wink:
Tiny toki tiki is cool. I can see him strapped to a handle making a steady stream of chips from a choice oiece of wood. Do you think he would scream a wee bit every time he Hit the Wood?
Makes one wonder?

Hiya gang.

JohnnyP: Im afraid I didnt even take any progress pics of that last fella but theres always another not too far behind; see below. (Ill have to go lose 10lbs & work out which is my best side if there's going to be any video footage - and what would I wear??) Lets stick to stills eh? :lol:

Benz: You've just given me a great idea...

With MrsTerrible away for 48hrs (picking up our new mascot) I have had my nose to the grindstone making the most of at least 20 of them. Here is what one late night & one long uninterrupted day can do;

I have been busting to make a start on this one since I drew him up a week or so ago. He's a lot wider than most of my tikis to date but proportionally quite thin. I knew before I started that this might make him seem a little odd but is an attempt to create something large but without the extreme weight (I quite often hear "but I could never wear something so heavy..")

Its 9pm; the crew is home in 11 hours. No time to waste...

--

TamaTheTireless :)

H

Hey Tamapoutini, your thread is full of wonderful work. The quality of your handcrafts is perfect.
You guys from New Zealand are realy "crazy"! :) Greetings, Haikai

Kia ora gang.

Not a lot from me this week; all sorts of interruptions* & non-tiki/non-carving stuff happening. The family is home again...

A Big Io Orana to those participating in the Great Tiki-Swap of '07? Who's looking forward t that? I know I am. I think 'carve first, then draw' a good decision; you just never know what may come along to halt you & then you have one of a committed pair let down. Bring it on.

Thanks for your comps Haikai: its the high oxygen-content of the air down here that makes us so "crazy" :) , that & the stone dust perhaps? (only joking, Im getting carefuller & carefuller in this regard and am thinking of getting an extractor myself - Ben)

The only carving done this week was finishing off the Wide Boy:

(the colour is actually more like this, taken during production)

*And here is one of the main interruptions of the week: my new guard-dog "Cashew" - awwwww, aint she purdy... (yes I know there is a place for this sort of shameless display but Ive never been in there, never will, & wont bother you with my little darling again, but look at dat widdle face... :)

For those who arent cursing me; she is an Australian Terrier X'ed with a Cairn Terrier. S'there :D

Take care all. Happy carving

B

It's amazing how these heavy Hei-Tiki's weigh nothing at all once you hang them around your neck. I Promise I have to keep looking to make sure "Goldie" hasn't dropped off somewhere because I don't feel the weight. HE is just so nice to wear.
"Not a lot from me---I Only finished this wide, thin..." Right, i "Only Finished" this guy like putting a quick polish on the old boots!!! I Wish it were so eazy to create such masterful works. I look at other Hei-tiki for sale on the multitude of NZ web sites in amazement at the lack of quality in most of the presentations. Some of it is a True Waste of beautiful Pounamu. There Are some respectable pieces out there but Nothing compared to what We are fortunate to see here on this thread. :):):)
I Reaally love your Wee Pup there. How old is she? Cashew (sounds a Lot like CHEW?)is sure to be a True Tiki Terror Terrior stalking around your shop for that stray foot or shoe to chew to shreds, You'll See.
HAPPEEEE

On 2007-03-01 04:58, Benzart wrote:
It's amazing how these heavy Hei-Tiki's weigh nothing at all once you hang them around your neck. I Promise I have to keep looking to make sure "Goldie" hasn't dropped off somewhere because I don't feel the weight. HE is just so nice to wear.

I Reaally love your Wee Pup there. How old is she? Cashew (sounds a Lot like CHEW?)is sure to be a True Tiki Terror Terrior stalking around your shop for that stray foot or shoe to chew to shreds, You'll See.
HAPPEEEE

Ahh, magic Ben. Im afraid I cant divulge how I get the stone to become lighter upon placing around the neck; (old Maori secret y'know :wink: ) Im glad you appreciate the extra time that took. :lol:

As for young Cashew (I prefer to think of the Cash than the chew, heehee); she was born in early December which would make her nearly 3mnths old. She is a very good wee pup; hardly bites or yaps and is our little sweetheart. Loves to cuddle or curl up on your lap & very gentle. Im not just saying that; it has been remarked upon - honest! It has! :lol: She doesnt have a Taonga just yet as we are going to wait a bit before putting a collar on her. But im working on it... :wink:

Take care all.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 5:41 PM

Nice work as always. Now you need a tiki doghouse mate :)

Hi Tama, as always cool stuff....

Amy

B

Pup Got'cher tongue? I'm sure you have been busy with all that Non Tiki stuff but we're missing you(like I should talk) and your work ramblings :)

On 2007-03-05 20:35, Benzart wrote:
Pup Got'cher tongue? I'm sure you have been busy with all that Non Tiki stuff but we're missing you(like I should talk) and your work ramblings :)

Hey BenZ: Ive HAVE been busy & Tiki too! Would I let you down? Its either rambling here or making tikis; sometimes a tough choice...

Cheers Hewey! A dog-house for my wee precious?! Never. Not even a tiki flavoured one; my baby lives in THE Tiki Room..!

Thanks QueenK!: havent seen much of our 1st Lady of Stone recently, how has your work been going?

Some BIIIG progress, phew...

I know I said I was intending to leave a big ol' belly sticking up on this one but have kind of dropped the ball on a couple of accounts. Firstly and probably most importantly, I clean forgot and went and drew my edgelines bang on centre as per usual; in effect blowing the whole idea. I didnt realise until I'd already ground the edges up to meet this centreline...doh! Managed to bluff it back a little and have lowered the forearms & hands/legs a bit too. As it turns out I think Id need an even thicker slab again to really achieve the result I envisage. This piece is so thick compared to what I normally work with that I thought I had heaps of room to move, but the tiki itself is so large that the extra depth doesnt mean an awful lot. Ah well, Ill know next time...

Not quite the handpiece-Epic of Maripi proportions (ask Paip), but this is about as big as my jewellery gear will handle. I could only just get around the entire edge on the grinding wheel & there were a couple of angles where the tiki banged its head on the motor/cowling & couldnt be worked. Similarly the handpiece has been put to hard slog for the past few days. To make the job easier I broke out a few more new burrs.

I might be able to swing another half day or so on him this week but do have some other carving committments that cant be put off much longer. About ten days before I have to post the work off for the Aussie show & at least two pieces to go - eek! Please understand if you dont hear from me for a bit...

**Welcome 'Molly'; a new Girl on the block; a learned carver; a fellow Jadi... Show us your goodies M! (Im sure its ok to show a bit of non-tiki if you havent done any; we can spot tiki-potential! :wink: )

Take care all. Happy Carving!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 4:40 AM

Wow Tama, that's a slab all right! That's gonna be hard on the gear....lot's of grinding. He looks great so far....have fun! I love the alien...

-G

J

Looks like a pretty darn big belly to me. This is epic, it takes a tremendous amount of work to remove that much jade, and leave what is left behind look so perfect.

JP

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 12:55 PM

The fully worked body and blank face look strangely enigmatic....any reason for the massive girth of this fellow (?), or he is he just for the challenge of it?
You were missed at the Chch leg of "Out of the Rain" last night - I heard a few nice comments on your work particularly "Tiki with Taiaha". A field trip to the museum vault is on the cards (when it suits, probably in a month or two) - I take it you'd be keen?

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 6:07 PM

Kia ora, Aroha!

I've already posted this question on another thread but I think it may have been the wrong one. I'm new!

I have a question posed to whomever may know:

I've noticed that the majority of Hei-Tiki are of the big-head, squat-bodied, hands-on-thighs variety (like Tamapoutini's "Hei-Tiki wearin' a Tiki")usually hung by a hole bored into its head.
But there is also the long-bodied, smaller-head, one-hand-on-thigh-other-hand-on-heart variety too (like Tamapoutini's personal Hei-Tiki of dark pounamu), this one is usually hung from one of its bent arms.

Are there names to differentiate between the various positions of Hei-Tiki?

Cheers, Tipua

Hi all. A little more done on the BIIG guy, soon to be a BIIG gal...

Gman: Yep. Big. Hard going. Must...

JP: Cheers mate. Due to it's sheer size I am having to tackle it a little differently than usual. As I mentioned there were a few areas that I had to rough out with the handpiece because there just wasnt room around the grinding gear. Most areas are also requiring several tools/attacks to achieve what can often be got with a single stroke on a smaller piece. Big job.

Paip: The blank face; I was thinking that myself. As above, I am going about this one in a different order than usual & dont normally have the body carved so far in advance of establishing the face. Im not really sure why. The size? Ask the stone man... :D
Just a bit busy to attend the 2nd OOTR opening, glad it went down well. Museum visit sounds great. Have you been talking to S.S?

Tipua: Welcome, welcome. You ask some very good questions and may very well expose my not-knowingliness on your very first attempt...

Quote:
I've noticed that the majority of Hei-Tiki are of the big-head, squat-bodied, hands-on-thighs variety (like Tamapoutini's "Hei-Tiki wearin' a Tiki")usually hung by a hole bored into its head.
But there is also the long-bodied, smaller-head, one-hand-on-thigh-other-hand-on-heart variety too (like Tamapoutini's personal Hei-Tiki of dark pounamu), this one is usually hung from one of its bent arms.

Are there names to differentiate between the various positions of Hei-Tiki?

Yes, the majority are by far the first type you describe. I personally believe there are more of this type largely due to timing; they became valuable trade items when European visitors started coming here & the style/design developed by the simple conversion of a toki/adzehead (see further back in this thread for a bit more on that). The 'side-hanging' type was from an earlier period, as were an upright-but-straight-headed type. (the hand-on-the-heart is actually hand-on-throat & pertains to the highly regarded art of oratory/speaking)

Now the admission of not-knowingliness: Im sure there must be a name to differentiate these two main types but I dont know what they are and dont think Ive ever heard any term/s. :blush: Paipo..?

Dont be put off by me Tipua; some of the folks around here are actually quite knowledgable in their specialised subjects :lol:

BIIG, Soon-to-be Girl: ('ordinary-type'/straight-hanger)

Happy carving everyone!

T
Tipua posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 3:46 AM

Kia ora Tamapoutini!
Thank you for your welcome, and for replying to my question (your reply WAS informative - no matter how much non-knowledge you think you may or may not think you have or haven't or whatever).

It's interesting that you say that the side-hanging Hei Tiki is an older style of carving. I did suspect as much. They just feel a little archaic don't they? Reminiscent (spelling?) of the Marquesan-style Tiki.
I must admit I do prefer the side-hanging style, perhaps somewhat because of their rarity on the market (not many mass-produced, poorly carved, sorry-excuse-for-a-tiki in this style as opposed to the other), or perhaps it's just my own personal preference (strange territory).

I have to say that, from what I've seen, you'd have to be one of the best pounamu-smiths out there. I've seen your works for sale on both Trademe and Ebay and I may have to snare myself one! Especially if you put up for sale any of your side-hanging wahine!

Thanx, Tipua

B

On 2007-03-09 03:46, Tipua wrote:
I have to say that, from what I've seen, you'd have to be one of the best pounamu-smiths out there. I've seen your works for sale on both Trademe and Ebay and I may have to snare myself one! Especially if you put up for sale any of your side-hanging wahine!
Thanx, Tipua

I Could NOT have said it Better myself and I Agree with you 100%
This giant is looking Fantastic as expected.
While on the questions regarding the Side hangars, I would LOVE to know the Proper hanging Angle? Do they hang at 180 degrees or what? Do you have an example of the proper hang??
Thanks.

H

Yes, I can see the estrogen shots are working on her...errr, him....eerrr, it. That's a nice "slab o' the green" (pardon my half Irish ancestry). Mad skills, I must say.

F
flynny posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 9:48 AM

Mmmmmmm, might have to commision me a Gal for "Peb"
As usual sweeeeeeet
Regards
Flynny

F
flynny posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 9:48 AM

Mmmmmmm, might have to commision me a Gal for "Peb"
As usual sweeeeeeet
Regards
Flynny

B

Double that, Sweet Sweet!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 3:57 PM

Never been into big girls, but this one is a honey!

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 1:37 AM

The bigger the better I say!

Another question posed to whomever may know (or even to those who can guess):

In traditional Hei Tiki, besides the toungue, what do those other three round shapes represent? Are they teeth, the inside of the mouth, or toothless gums (keeping in mind it has been said hei tiki symbolise a foetus)?

Also, does the Hei Tiki remind any one else of Sheela-na-Gig? She does me. Especially with that gaping female part!

Kia ora Tiki-types. Crikey, nine days since Ive been in here myself...
Been very busy finalising the work for the Sydney show (sooooo much paperwork!) but am happy to report that was all packaged up & posted off last Friday. Spent a couple of days chiilin' with the whan-damily & unwinding and back into it today.

In spite of much time & a lot of moaning I only managed to complete four pieces for the show, although they were all fairly large/tricky pieces. The large 'Aussie Black' Hei-tiki you have already seen & the rest you're not going to get to see for a while anyway... (two I consider irrelevant to TC & the other must remain secret for secret reasons..?? confused? good).

Attn: Hewey & Molly: The show is called "Coast-Garde - 5 Contemporary New Zealand Carvers" & is being held at 'Metalab' gallery, Surry Hills (PM if you want the street address or ph#) and runs from 6th April - 4th May. Ive never been to Oz so obviously dont know the gallery at all. If one of you does check it out I would be keen to hear your thoughts... As above, I have only managed the thinnest of representation so you wont be missing anything too much of mine if you dont make it. Im sure the others will have filled it out as a good show though; non-tiki you understand.
One of the crew, (Jamie) will be artist in residence April 6th - 13th, giving demos & tuition in jade/stone carving & Im pretty sure its a hands-on thing (assuming youve got a little experience, and Im sure you'd both be fine/allowed).

Tipua: Thanks for your comps! If you do snare one I will sweeten the deal with a few related goodies; gotta look after the TC Ohana. Your tiki-preference duly noted & Ill keep it in mind for the near future. Can I ask where you are in the world? If NZ or Aussie you can bid on T.Me; let me know. I too see similarites with Marq. tiki forms, and many other Pacific cultures too - Remind me to flick a pic of a small wooden Cook Isld tiki I have...

Benz: I dont think the hanging angle is a matter of specific degrees; just a 'vibe'; you know when its right & you know when its not. After so many I can pretty much get the balance point right visually whilst drawing up & a little jiggery-pokery can pull them into line if they are a little lop-sided. The main problem is if the head hangs too low, ie; below horizontal.

Big thanks Surf n Turf, Flynny and Gman.

Tipua again: I had never seen Sheela-na-Gig. Where does she originate from? I must confess to having a special weakness for this type of 'art' (I got myself into a bit of trouble expressing my own opinion on the 'purpose' of this sort of thing whilst discussing the Venus of Woolendorf during class one time - sure, it was a "fertility" charm, uh-huh...) :lol:

Thanks for stopping by folks. Give me another day or two & I should be back with something; dont know what yet...

Happy carving!

good luck at the show Tama!

Amy

Thanks Amy.

Just a quickie: Rescued another of the 80 from a dusty grave. He was 90% there and just needed a bit of a clean up & sanding. I was reluctant to finish it as it is made from a peculiar type of stone. It is Kokopu or trout stone after the resemblance to the markings of the native fish of the same name. This particular piece was sadly a little 'duller' than usual & I knew it would have a hard time holding/achieving any kind of polish. Proved me wrong in the end although I did have to give it a bit of persuading. Currently available someplace where New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectables, sporting goods & more at low prices can be found... ahem.

The slings and arrows of Tiki-Kulture eh? Who'd of ever guessed?

Peace y'all.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 2:37 AM

What a sweet little tiki - I knew you were hiding one somewhere. I was just about to hassle you for posting an update without pics.
You know, I can't recall having ever seen one in kokopu (though I'm sure it's been done). Kinda reminds me of the Mrs! :wink:

H

Tama, you are an amazing artist. I look at/read your thread daily but I am usually left speechless-which translates to 'typeless' in the 'puter world.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 5:54 AM

Hey Tama,

The Trout Hei-tiki is wild looking! I love that stone pattern. Why on earth would you have thrown it into the bottomless box of 80? I would think that the appearance of that stone would cause it to sell quite quickly. Very beautiful work on a seriously purdy stone. If I had the cash I would have it as my third - hell I would try to buy nearly all of them if I could. LOVE IT!

-Gman

T
Tipua posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 5:07 PM

Alu'a Tama!

I believe Sheela-na-Gig is of celtic origin but is prevelent throughout Britain, especially gracing the outside of churches. Most modern christians are mortified when they see such a display of female sexuality carved on a church and they wonder why such a carving would be placed on a church! Apparently Sheela-na-Gig (or sile-na-Gieg) was used to divert the attentions of the "evil eye" from church-goers inside the church (only evil would be interested in vaginas apparently). Though she was used on churches, her origins are pagan, and much older than christianity.

Also, have you noticed how similar Medusa's face resembles Hei-Tiki's? I suppose we're all human, so we all have similar ideas for an evil-chasing protective image.

I come from Australia by the way. I've seen your work on both Trademe and Ebay, and I recently bid for your 'flower jade' hei-tiki, but I was out-bid. Everyone wants a piece of Tamapoutini!

I'm looking out for a side-hanging companion still!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies