Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

B

Yeah, that guy with the money usually gets it his way., sad that! Not!
Actually the diamonds will work on woon for the finishing of hard to get areasusing the coursest bits, but no water please. I Promise I would not laugh, it may interrupt me learning something. I may crack a quiet smile, but I would Never laff, Of course then theres the green dust and that bag. I found it and it was empty darn it! Whatever it had in it was good stuff. I think it was Fritos HAHAHA.

freckle arrived in sactown today. i really dig him! great carving on a beautiful pice of pounamu. i have a project in mind. i'll send a pm.

Cheers Hewey -Wood you believe it?

Benz -Now Im laughing! I dont think theres anything I could teach you, apart from unwittingly, or perhaps what NOT to do, haha **Wonder how the wood-dust is going to affect me..? :)

Kings -So glad you like Mr Freckle! Got your PM & am on board with 'the Project'. Ill have a think & PM later... If there is any particular style/extras you are thinking of, let me know...

Tama

J

Great work, I really like the Peke-peka piece. I can't wait to see what you do with the wood.

On 2006-10-13 17:17, JohnnyP wrote:
Great work, I really like the Peke-peka piece. I can't wait to see what you do with the wood.

Thanks JP. That wee peka-peka was/is a favourite of mine too -Im happy that its going where its going...
As for the wood, I cant wait to see what what happens too (dont get your hopes too high) haha :)

Bit of a dull day really. Plenty of non-tiki Xmas production but I did manage a few hours on one of the 80... 'Hei-tiki with Hei-matau'(fish hook pendant) got a face! Going to be a nice one I think, perfect stone!!

Dear Diary, today I carved another tiki...Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 4:40 AM

Tama,

The hook-guy is looking great. I noticed that the beach pebbles, like in your last post, seem much darker than the cut stone. Is that due to natural weathering or is therw something more to it? Or is it just the lighting? I would love to see a group shot of the 80 or so guys you are working on layed out on the bench. Pretty please?

-Gman

B

Love the fish hook guy, he has a sweet personality, different from the rest. You still make it look SOoo Eazy and I Know it is not. Like,"Oh, I think I'll throw a hook on this guy" or "I'll give this guy a chainsaw mouf" or "Dear diary, I carved another Tiki Today" Ho Humm so easy, just coasting along. ONly a Master could do these things. Thanks Tama the Teacher!

Gman: Nah, pounamu pebbles come in all shades of green... dribble, slurp... Here's a couple I found yesterday (yeah right)

I will dig out a few more works-in-progress a bit later (not all of the 80 are tiki of course...)

My first real foray into Whakairo/Wood chipping is pending... Thought I better stick to something a bit familiar form-wise... Just under 20" tall -Absolutely ENORMOUS for me!!! :)

The plan is to find a nice piece of driftwood to serve as a base/stand.
As carving pays the bills around here, I figured I should try to produce something (hopefully) sellable for the domestic market..? Im guessing that weight would be a restricting factor for overseas sale...

Happy so far, not that Ive picked up a tool yet, heehee. Off to town tommorrow & will sort myself some chisels & a better handsaw & whatever else catches my eye... There is plenty of wood around these parts & I may just tool-up properly in the future? We'll see...

Benz: if I am a Master, then you are THE Master! :) So we agree: we're just a couple of guys who cant escape the pull of the Ancients...

*Now the Wood-Spirits are a whole new crowd to me (hope they dont have too much fun at my expense!)...

Tama The Timber-Tickler...

B

TAma, I'm sure the Same spirits haunt both media as the ancient artists did it all as needed. I'm sure they will not spare you a bit of fun so watch out.. That pile of stones has me drooling, and so does the wood you are about to take apart. The drawing looks great and I'm sure you will have no trouble at all with it and I can't wait to be the first to pat you on the back and say "I told you you could do it!"
Your package came today and you have no idea what it means to me. Big Mahalos.

M

Whoa Tama! Vey nice design. Is this wood soft?

Please get started so Ben can resume his wood works :)

Mahalo

McTiki

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 17, 2006 2:19 PM

Are you going cut him out, or just relief him out of the surrounding wood? Hurry up and make those first cuts!

Cheers Benz -I truly hope I can live up to expectations!! More than a little nervous...heehee
Glad you like the goodies...

McTiki -Sorry to be dragging Benz's focus away from wood :) but if his first attempts in stone are anything to go by, you may have lost your timber-Guru!
*Ive just headbutted the wood & it seems pretty hard to me, haha. Honestly I have no idea whether it is a hard or soft wood or even suitable carving material..? I know there are some great NZ native woods (Totara, Matai, Rimu?) but have to wait for my neighbour to cough up some of those... He has a permit to mill naturally fallen native trees 'in situ' (native logging is all but illegal nowdays!)

Paipo -Im as anxious as you are to see some progress. Too many immediate deadlines at present... Bought a couple of clamps, a few chisels, some grunty drillbits & a small knife-saw thingy & a raspy-type thingy... Probably going to Skilsaw the profile as best I can & then clean up silouhette with chisels?? Probably just carve the front..?

*Should see a few pounamu Hei-tiki finished this week!

Take care all. Tama The Not-So-Terrible-Once-You-Get-To-Know-Him... hahaha :)

B

Tama the Tender, I like that too.
I don't think you have to worry about the wood, just carve it like you do the little ones. The grain is pretty bold so you should be able to handle it ok. Just imagine the plank is made from compacted straw and if you put a chisel against the fibres it doesn't cut as well as cutting With the fibres. You will catch on quickly enough.
Just keep your tools sharp and you wil do fine.
:)

J

Listen to Benzart and you'll do fine. But you have to do more than headbutt the wood to get chips to fall off. Looking forward to what you do with the wood.

JP

Hi guys. No further with the timber tickling just yet but finished Tiki with Matau yesterday, & started another couple today...

Thanks JP & Benz. Ive tucked that 'compacted straw' nugget into the important files folder in my carving-brain. There is just something about that simple analogy that screams 'listen to this man!'. Thats' pure wisdom right there Benz & Ive been humming it to myself in preparation...

'Hei-tiki with Hei-matau'

Drew this guy up last night & worked on him solidly all day. (got further than this but camera battery died...)

And have finally gotten around to working on another Xmas-deadlined commission. This one is a scaled down reproduction of a distinctive 'pre-contact' Maori artifact, a combination of hei-matau/fishhook & trad. hei-tiki. This piece is going to Australia, seen with the pic I was sent to work from.

**Itching to start making sawdust but just cant buy the time at present. Im sure Ill make a start within the week...

Tama The Tohunga?heehee :)

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 2:48 AM

On 2006-10-19 00:00, Tamapoutini wrote:

It looks much nicer in colour:

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 6:10 AM

Tama,

That "artifact" piece of yours is KILLER! So is the other pendant you started. I love that tongue! Will the artifact guy hang from two lines, one on each side?

Man, sick stuff coming from the T3 shop! I am so glad you joined!

B

Yeah, that Cracked head fella is quite cool. I really love the Flat headed Hei-Tiki too. He looks a bit different...
Take your time with the wood, it will come and you'll get to a point where you can't put it down. Then you will find the magic in the wood. I guess it will be like me finding something in carving the green Stone that doesn't want to let go. It really grabs you and latches on. It is very possessive.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 7:38 PM

looks great

The wood one will be awesome too :)

Paipo: thanks for posting that pic. I didnt realise it was such a light colour. The commission-er specified a pale green, that'll be why... Ill print that out & use as a better reference. ta

Gman: yeah, it'll be two separate cords. (I notice the muka/cord is missing in Paipos picture..?)

Cheers Benz/Hewey!

Spent a solid day on the new (no name) hei-tiki, lets call him 'No Name'...

Ready for sanding...

Another Tiki day draws to an end... Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 20, 2006 4:56 AM

Wow, that guy is sharp Tama. I really like the piercings in the mouth. Top notch. Great job!

B

Yes, another day just coasting along and dropping off another cool Hei-Tiki of the "No Name" variety, so eazy you do it in your sleep.
Nice Sharp detail and I love that he has Earz!
How do you get those nice long, continuous, unbroken lines like in the mouth? That's hard to do.

Hello Tama...nice family pic you posted in Ohana...what a good looking bunch! Been digging through
your thread...very impressive work. Anxious to see what you do with the wood...I have also been
pondering a big heitiki out of basswood or butternut. Keep the pics coming.

J

That pre-contact commission you are working on is sweet. Be sure to show lots of progress pictures on that one.
JP

Thanks Gman/Benz. Quite like this one myself. Had to put finishing on hold for the moment however. Probably finish after the weekend. Annual m/bike street races on tommorrow, crappy weather forcasted, could be a chance to witness some knarly crashes! Fun for all the whanau...

Thanks for looking Conga! (we're not just pretty faces, haha)

Will keep you posted on the Matau-Tiki JP!

So there's this funny smell in my workshop now... Not one of the usual funny smells either, I swear this... smells like... WOOD!!!

Couldnt wait any longer so I started the timber-terrorising today! Never one for doing his homework, Im winging it & making do & trail-blazing here...
Go on, have a giggle... Is this how you do it?

Zinged off the edges with my 'skilly'...

And then closed in on the profile with my new chisels (all 3 of them!) Yes, thats the hammer/beater I am using! Thought it might raise a smirk. It is actually a rock-hunting pick-hammer for digging out pretty green rocks (not that its ever been used for much of that, so I thought re-employ it, haha) - I think its kind of ironic/apt :)

My first 'junction', oooh Im so excited!!

Outer profile achieved. Im sure my struggles are evident to those who know what to look for...

And inner holes dealt to! Figured Im gonna attack it as I would one of my pounamu hei-tikis & let the Ancients mock as they may (or is it you lot I can hear..?) haha

I wont tell you how long this took :) but I did deliberately drag it out. Well I was having fun wasnt I?

So there you go, not a complete disaster yet (phew). Im happy to leave him in this state for a bit, but Im really looking forward to the journey from here on in...

Dont think Ill be swapping from stone to wood just yet. Whattamess! My poor tiki-room...

Take care all :) Tama

H

Looking good man! Got some killer inlays for the eyes? :)

hewey wrote:[/i]
Got some killer inlays for the eyes? :)

Gidday mate. Ive been thinking about that...

Not sure how Im going to carve them out yet (suggestions anyone?), but I think I'd like to paint a Paua 'effect' in them..? Either that, or small pieces of real paua cut & inlaid around..?

T3 :) (got to find out how to do more smilies than just :) haha)

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-10-21 09:15 ]

B

Here's Smiles All Around from this guy. happyHappyHappy. You are doing this the correct way. My rule is to use Any tool available that will remove wood. All tools can be used for Other things than originally intended. I Love that your "Rock" hammer is now a Wood hammer, Perfect. Skil saw works, but only if a band saw is not available. The wood removal process is the same as the stone removal process. You draw out the design and remove everything that doesn't belong. Take your time and Keep having fun. Use whatever tool you have, they're all fair game.
Before you know it you will have an Awesome Wood Hei-Tiki and you will be having to start a "Woodie" list Now you get to do all the "got wood?" jokes too? Ain't Life Grand?

J

There is no sound of mocking coming from this way. You are off to a great start. Wood is a little messier than stone. Sawdust gets everywhere as I'm sure you are finding.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 4:57 AM

Yeah, what Benz and JohnnyP said! Nice start Tama, he's sure to be a winner. Mind the grain...and getcha a band saw!

Nice hammer!,

Gman

Cheers Benz/JP/Gman!

Just cant keep my hands off it, or carving that wooden tiki either, haha Was that a 'got-wood' gag Ben? Im only new... :)

*Went to the bike races but the little ones were a bit freaked out by the noise so we didnt get to stay for long. Saw a good spill tho'!

Took a few snaps of these fellas on the way home; they stand at the entranceway to a local country-cafe... Not really Maori/tiki but I thought you might be interested. Made by a local couple (forget their names, Paip' will probably know, down Mahinapua way..?)
The carved areas have been polyurathaned by the look of it & look even better when it's raining. The faces stay just the same rich golden colour but the rest goes much darker, making a stronger contrast. Ill try to get a pic of that one of these days...

Lefty:

Rightious:

Close up of Rightious:

*my names, dont know what the artist calls them...

A bit more on the woody today. Dont know if its me or the wood (or the Ancients), but Im finding working 'with' the grain a real problem... Ill blame the wood, haha Its seems to be very 'splitty'/'rippy'..?

Oh well, something's happening...

Though sticks & stones may break my bones, Id rather be making Tikis out of 'em! haha :) Tama

T

Hey TTT - that's some really great wood stuff you got goin on there. The color in the wood is awesome! Sweet!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 2:33 AM

Seems to be working just fine to me, he's looking pretty nice already - I guess the problem with the grain may be from using the flat ended chisel to work into your curves around the legs and arm holes? I've got a couple of "(" shaped ones you're welcome to try out if you want. Get yourself a cheap rubber mallet too, so you're hitting your chisels with bit more surface area.
I have met the guy that makes those "wood spirits" I think, but can't remember who he was?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 4:44 AM

The wood hei tiki is coming along nicely, and the driveway carvings are cool too :)

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 5:36 AM

Tama,

Man, he is looking good. I bet if you used Paipos gouges you would stop having problems. If all you have are straight cabinet-maker chisels, they don't much like to carve concave areas. I love the fact that you are willing to give it a go with few tools/what ever you can lay your hands on - (I've been working like that since 1993). It sure lets you know what you need to pull it off easier, but it really makes you think. I think, if you ever get a set of mallet-sized Felxcuts, there would be no stopping you. Sell or trade one of your green-men and grab a set of Flexcuts. I wanna see you make some more wood pieces.

-Gman

B

Looking Really Great Tama. The wood looks fairly soft and with a pretty wide, open grain that we would call "Chippie". Meaning when you get to small detail and try to remove one small chip, a Large chunk comes off instead. That makes you do one of 2 things; Alter the piece to accomodate the missing piece, or Glue the piece back on with super glue and continue on. Most carvers keep a tube of super-glue handy for that And it's also good for closing fresh, bleeding wounds caused bt sharp tools meeting soft skin. ( We get to call those things "Tiki Bites").
What does the wood smell like? was there any Bark on it?, Just trying to figure out what kind of wood it is.
Take Paip up on those curved chisels (they're called "Gouges")they will make all the diffrence in the world.
Just keep postinmg pictures, you're doing great.

B

I looked up the Macrocarpa wood you have and it is a mamber of the cypress family fairly soft and nicely carvable, but chippy (ie?) It probably has a very Sweet smell when you open it up, especially the heart wood. Nice wood, Here
is the link I found.
And here
In California, it's called "Monteral Cypress.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-10-22 07:14 ]

Looks like you're doing just fine! It's already becoming a great first wood carving!!

You'll get used to the grain and how to deal with the trickier areas- Just keep going. Plus, you'll see in the end that the imperfections that bug you in the process develop their own character and add to the piece's Mana. :)

Would recommend a mallet also..

L
Loki posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 1:10 PM

Go Tama Go....lookin' great, but anything comin' from you is sure to put a smile on our faces.

Thanks everyone, the encouragement/advice is much appreciated! At last Im doing something that you can all understand & help with :)

No carving today -even us master wood-chippers need a break now & then, haha

Im off to play in the sun.

Have a great tiki-day!! Tama

On 2006-10-22 07:04, Benzart wrote:
I looked up the Macrocarpa wood you have and it is a mamber of the cypress family fairly soft and nicely carvable, but chippy (ie?) It probably has a very Sweet smell when you open it up, especially the heart wood. Nice wood, Here
is the link I found.
And here
In California, it's called "Monteral Cypress.

Jeez mate, how do you find stuff like that! Thanks a million!!!

**Paipo, check those out (esp first one) if youre going to try any NZ woods, incredible run-down on properties/workablity... awesome find Ben!!

The macrocarpa does have a very sweet smell, somebody mentioned it again upon entering my workshop today...

*So it sounds like I need a new mallet (next piece), PVA woodglue, & some curved gouges... righto!

Ive got about 4 pounamu hei-tiki that I HAVE to finish this week, so Ill post those as they roll off the conveyer belt, haha. Most you have seen already but the 'Hei-tiki with Taiaha' will be a new one. Started awhile ago but set aside for upcoming exhibition...

Take care y'all! Tama :)

What the hell is happening here? Is it "Opposite Month"?

Wood carvers doing stone... Stone carvers using wood!

Whats next... painters, carving and carvers, painting?

Anyway, I'll have another drink and get used to the diversity. The wood looks great can't wait to see this progress.

B

You're Welcome Tama. I just typed "Macrocarpa wood" into Google and hit search and they did the rest. There is a Lot of NZ refrence there, try it. I have carved a Lot of Florida and Bald Cypress which is very similar to your wood and It's Beautiful and very pleasant smelling., Especially when it's fresh.
Can't wait to see your other stuff, I Love Stuff, Bring it ONN

On 2006-10-23 08:19, AlohaStation wrote:
What the hell is happening here? Is it "Opposite Month"?

Wood carvers doing stone... Stone carvers using wood!

Sorry about all of the confusion Aloha!

Back on the green stuff. Finished a couple today...

'No Name'

And this small Trad fella.

Long day. Im off to have my tea but will be back to post these in the Marketplace in a few hours (hint, hint)... Hope to see you there! :)

Hello, what's this..?

How strange...

Take care all! Tama

P

So that's how it works eh - you make tikis while I entertain your kids! Maybe I'll send mine around to your place tomorrow? :wink:
I did sneak an hour or two in eventually, but no camera means no updates!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 4:39 PM

Tama,

Those pieces look beautiful. I hope they go quickly, and to TCers. Your work is too great to sell to "outsiders." The no-name guy rawks!

i hope she doesn't become too attached to that fez! :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies