Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tama - NZ Pounamu/greenstone - Last post for '08! - pg99

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1,505 replies

I'd heard that quitting smoking could cause you to plump up/chubbify. Nice Maori mojo to transfer all the extra weight to these chubby changelings, channeling your calories their way, genius use of your mana!
Teach me the secrets of transferrence so I can hit the buffet line daily okay?!

Seriously nice work on chubby and the hammerhead looking tiki too!

Thanks JP, Robin
Heath: You might have to move to Florida - Im afraid BenZart has already emailed privately and offered to breathe some depth into my box of 'flatties'. Not so sure Ill be letting them go just yet. Funnily enough, the degree of increased thickness is only very minimal/subtle*.
Sneaky: Transferring the smoke-free plumpness to the Tikis is a fantastic idea - if only I knew how it was done?? *Thankfully, my own increasing thickness is only very minimal/subtle also, but I have a horrible feeling that Im going to need to try some of that ex-er-cise stuff before too long, doh!

'New piece'

And from out of nowhere, flying very low 'Hei-toki Tangaroa'

I like this guy - as part of the ongoing march to loosen up my carving, this piece was tackled in more of a free fashion with less drawing/guidelines than usual. The result to me seems slightly cruder but more organic and 'authentic'. The process is certainly a lot faster and more ejoyable (and affordable - see marketplace :wink: )

Back to the grind! :D

Tama

that is soooooo georgeous! That's something I have to have in the near future.

H

Florida?!?!?!?

I'll defer to BenZ this time.

Just because he's got the tools, the style, the panache, first dibs.

But I will take wildfires over hurricanes any day!

Keep on with the good green stuff Tama!

And, yes I know how that sounds.

H
harro posted on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 6:39 AM

awesome tang adze tama - that combines two of my favourite shapes in one masterpiece! how big is it?

and congrats on the tar-free lungs, you couldnt have made a better decision. and good luck with the exciting house renos too.

cheers,
harro.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 5:42 PM

Dem's some stylin' stones Tama! Long time no post. My bad. Looking forward to seeing more when you are ready.

-G$

B

Tama, I am Happy to see you back at the good old grind and I LOVE that Hei-toki/Tangaroa. He's Really Sweet. Glad to hear you still smoke free too, thats probably the Best news of all, I am Happy for you!

Cheers SurfinTiki: Ill add that design to the 'to remake' list.. :wink:
Heath: good green stuff? heeheeheeheeeeeeeeeee wheeeeeeeeee...... :lol:
Thanks Harro - the Toki-Tang was a bit less than 4inches/10cm from memory.
GMan - Dont apologise mate, I know exactly how difficult it is to keep up with everyone. My own posting is suffering badly and I havent caught what you're up to for weeks myself. We bad.
BenZ: Yep, still smokfree (approaching 5weeks!) - but never mind me, I hope you are feeling ok!? Good to see you have a few projects on the bench!

Would you believe it? Tama actually does some work..
Out of the Box & on to the bench..

Toes, bum and girl-bit added. I did some more to this after taking pics and have this girl nearing sanding stage..

And a new Tiki-toki underway for swapping with another TCer. All toki and no tiki at this stage..

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

T3 :)

J

Every ppost from you is a treat. Keep it up. When yo feel the need for a smoke, carve some more.

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2007 6:39 PM

OOOOooooo! Aaaaaaaaah!

As Borat says: "Very niiice!"

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 9:40 AM

Great stuff Tama! Each one of them is like a little green candy. I'm glad to see that you have the shop project moving forward and that you are still able to grind out beautiful works during all the madness.

-G

B

Happy to see Tama back onboard chipping away. More Beautiful stuff I see there tama.

Hi guys - just a quicky..
Thanks JP: good idea, Ill be rich..! :lol:
Tipua: we getting there..
G & B: :)

tiny prog report:

***ATTN: GARY K!! - IM FINDING ALL EMAILS RETURNED/NON-DELIVERED (I think your 'filters' consider my emails as SPAM?)- DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN CONTACT YOU AT?? ***

B

WOw, let me know if you ever want to swap a tiki-toki for some Hula Photos!!! That is a great looking toki and I am looking forward to seeing it done.

On 2007-11-06 14:17, Tamapoutini wrote:

T: we getting there..

...ready for sanding... :)

That is looking fantastic!! :)

Aloha!

a little more...

Tama :)

T
Tipua posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2007 3:31 PM

There's just something about a well-oiled lady...

... that just makes me one happy monkey!

:D :D :D :D

R
Robin posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 9:18 AM

Beautiful as always. Always a treat to have a look and see what you're doing. Love the Toki...I want one too!

Tama!
WOW!
Great work! You consistently bust out hi-caliber work-kudos to you!
That teeny tiki toki rawks man! It astonishes me how tiny you can carve! Do you shrink down and do it? :D

so if i buy the current e-Bay offering would you be willing to carve female naughty bits on it or would that be too much like commission work?

That IS one happy monkey Tipua! You cant help but smile at that :D (been trying to get hold of you by the way) :wink:

Cheers Robin!

LLT: I shrank down and did another one just for you* - tried to photograph the process but couldnt push the button on my camera, ugh!

PJ: check PM/inbox

Aloha: next week..!

Hey gang - another week spread as thin as ever & never enough time for proper TC browsing, bah! Its the old story of trying to make hay whilst the sun shines etc (quite literally - sewing grass seed before the heavens open again to wash it all away.. although when the sun does come out, so do the sparrows and yellowhammers to eat the seed.. who'd be a farmer eh?)

A few new things to show tho..

Progression of, er 'happy tiki'..

not quite complete

And a few that are finished..
Small

Very small (for Kinny)

Peka-peka (native bat/ double Manaia) - pretty small

Good to see a few new names around recently - welcome new Tcers!

*Off to an exhibition opening tonight featuring the work of new jade carvers; 'the class of 07' from the local jade-skool where Paipo and I met as young Tiki-maker wannabes. Hope to see you there P!

B

WHo ARE You? DId you introduce yerself recently? OH,m TAMA the Tardy, Been Wondering about you recen tly/ Had a picture in my mind of you all covered up in construction material, unable to move a finger to call for help! Really glad to see you up and functioning properly. Ha :lol: I should talk. I was just thinking about sending you an email tonight and may well yet do it. Love your happy face but he looks a bit bewildered like me I guess. Hope all's well with you chief.

LIkey the new works Tama. Double Manaia is a treat and I've always liked minatures, maybe that's why I dig your work so much.
Don't wait so long to post next time, believe me your posts are missed...

S
T

Ben - I know you're joking & I know you're not joking... my bad :(
Sneaky - Its the consistant and friendly folks like you and Ben that make this place what it is. Thanks for your support. Ill do my best to make more TC time.

Glanced at the calendar and realised that Xmas is looming - oh man, how many carvings have been promised "before Christmas"?? Time to step production up another notch.. (manic laughter)ahahahahaaaaaaaaa!

Tiki-Toki (Im calling this one 'Tik-Tok' - see above)

*I always draw things up according to the stone (size) I have available, and have noticed that the smaller a tiki is, the harder it is to find tools to comfortably do the job - Dont you hate it when 1mm aint quite big enough but 2mm is far too large..?

here's a reminder:

Finished: "Wide-Mouthed Wahine" 2007

Merry Christmas All! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ho ho ho...

T

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2007 5:33 PM

Hey Tama,

Your work is looking mahvalous as usual. I love the wide mouth wahine (nice butt). I'm glad to be back online and able to see your work. It's always a great inspiration to see what you are up to - your grinds give us mortal folks the drive to push forward. Thanks for being here.

-G

T
Tipua posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2007 6:16 PM

:o
I'm almost rendered speechless. Awesome work. :D :D :D

I'd buy that for a dollar! :lol:

R
Robin posted on Mon, Nov 19, 2007 6:17 PM

Aw man...Tama..... love them love them love them.

Looks awesome! I think someone is going to very happy. I wish I could help you - but size has never been a problem for me! ; )

H

Astoundingly fluid!!!.....otherwise, I'm left spechless myself.

B

Well Damn You even! No Matter how irritated someone is that you haven't been around, all you have to do is show up and say "Hi All" and the ice is MELTED and All the worries are gone and you are Right back in the good graces...How DO you DO that! You come back with some Seriously Awesome Stuff here Really Love it. It seems that you have been sorely Missed so don't stay away so long again. :lol: :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 1:20 PM

On 2007-11-19 17:21, Tamapoutini wrote:

*I always draw things up according to the stone (size) I have available, and have noticed that the smaller a tiki is, the harder it is to find tools to comfortably do the job - Dont you hate it when 1mm aint quite big enough but 2mm is far too large..?

I would have thought you of all people would be familiar with the D 1.5? :-?

It would be my 2nd or 3rd most-used burr in the whole arsenal....

The other stuff is all looking bee-yoo-diful as always. More, better, smaller!

On 2007-11-21 13:20, Paipo wrote:
I would have thought you of all people would be familiar with the D 1.5? :-?

D 1.5?? Ive been living in a cave...

TTTooless :o

Hi all!*

GMan: Mortal? You?? Croc-bonkin', boar-stickin', storm-chasin'..etc
Tipua: in the post tommorrow with any luck! :wink:
Robin, Howland: thanks guys!
Aloha: Havent forgotten about you, big boy..
BenZ:* :D

--

Paipo just reminded me that I havent posted pics of this wee fella, although its possible you may have spotted him out thEre somewhere anyway, ahem.. Cant remember if he has been shown before but is another from deep within the Box, recently finished. Sometimes I worry about all the 'frozen' hours locked up in the Boxs' contents, but when the mood strikes its great to be able to pluck a 'profiled' or semi-roughed out piece and enjoy the pure carving fun of grinding or heavy handpiece work.

--

And this was a piece made last week:

A great learning piece this one. Like the few Tangaroa figures Ive attempted in recent months this is a full body/3-D (however flattened) and the repetition of such is sinking in more and more.. yay!

The smallest/last piece shown here (Australian Black nephrite) is also in the process of becoming a Tiki of very similar type as above, with some changes/differences too of course. These three pieces are headed for Sydney, Australia for another ehhibition of the jade-skool pals - if I can get it together in time.. Update on that later this week.
How're you doing in that regards Paip?

--

TTT :)

On 2007-11-25 23:28, Tamapoutini wrote:

The smallest/last piece shown here (Australian Black nephrite) is also in the process of becoming a Tiki of very similar type as above, with some changes/differences too of course...

*A picture is worth a thousand words, but only if you remember to add them.. :D

T3

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 1:06 AM

On 2007-11-25 23:28, Tamapoutini wrote:

How're you doing in that regards Paip?

As luck would have it, I have 3 pieces of Cowell blocked out and ready to draw up too :lol:
I think mine are gonna be just a little late, but I do at least have a fairly good idea of what I'm making after a couple of false starts. No tiki unfortunately :(
Nice Hei-Tangaroa!

T
Tipua posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 2:52 AM

Nice work Tama.
I really like all them Tangs. I really dig your 3D stuff.
You just gotta love them curves!

PS. I'm camping out at my mail box till further notice. :)

B

Eeexcelent stuffs again Tama, Love the 3-d images you are getting and Love the fact that you seem to be online More than me here recently! Keep up the tempo. I really love the Wide mouth wahine and your "box of 80" rescue is time Well spent. What can I say but that it is SO Nice to see more pictures of your works, I've been needing them So Dearly, thank you thank you thank you!

R

Hi Tama....love the way you describe your process..it's like being there. The 3d seems to be manifesting pretty well...love your exploration....thanks for including us. I notice some pushing of the forms and features in new ways in addition to the more 3d...very cool

Good luck with the show, and the work.

R.

Tipua: You wont have too long to wait; posted this morning..! :D
BenZ: I hope you're not feeling as guilty as I do when away from TC too long..? BenZart, BenZart, BeZart... :wink:
Robin: wish you were here.. (I had a message via the West Coast 'bush telegraph' that Steve.G is intending to visit my workshop one of these days. If youre in contact with him, tell him he's more than welcome!)
Paipo: No sooner than announced, my plans have changed yet again - Ive just advised the organiser of Sydney show and gallery that I wont be part of it. I stopped and thought about it this morning and realised that my regular schedule (and the difficult economics) just wont allow it. Ah well.

--

Aloha: one more session ought to do it...

--

Happy carving all!
TTT :)

T

Kia Ora Tamapoutini!

Yesterday, after a really, really crap day at work, the gods (or NZ and Australia Post), feeling pity for one so wretched, deigned to bestow a gift upon me of exquisite beauty. Thanks Tama!

I persuaded my girlfriend to model it as she is considerably better looking than I am.

[ :up: Wide-Mouthed Wahine and Tamapoutini's hei tiki. :lol: Only joking, honey! :)]

Thanks again Tama! She's absolutley beautiful.
I think I'll name her 'Te-Wahine-O-Te-Waha-Whanui' ("The woman with the wide mouth". I hope my Maori's correct). I also liked the 4 little stow-aways that came along for the ride across the Tasman Sea! :)

Oh yeah, and the cord length is perfect by the way.

I'm one very happy monkey! :)

On 2007-11-30 22:24, Tipua wrote:

Thanks again Tama! She's absolutley beautiful.
I think I'll name her 'Te-Wahine-O-Te-Waha-Whanui' ("The woman with the wide mouth")

*If I called my partner that Id get a slap in my wide-mouth! Perhaps you'd better just name the carving that! :lol:

So glad you like her! (the carving) :wink:

T
Tipua posted on Sun, Dec 2, 2007 5:41 PM

On 2007-12-02 01:04, Tamapoutini wrote:
So glad you like her! (the carving) :wink:

Yeah, thanks Tama. They're both awesome! :)

Hi all - Making Tikis? Ive got a few on the go.. :wink:
Plenty going on around the property too, but Ill save that for another thread and another time. We're here for the Tikis:

--

--

TIKIS: in no particular order

A new wahine with paua eyes -

The Xtra large 'Thiki-tiki' from a while ago gets a slight reworking around the neck area (been bugging me!) and inlays and is currently part of our local gallerys' Members Exhibition..

The little Aussie who is probably destined to stay in Aotearoa..? :cry:

**A 'TC special' 99% finished - check PM, I still need a few details..

!?

!!??

And finally this girl (Im reasonably certain she's going to be a she..), I recall Gman asked as to progress on this a while back.

--

--

Damn, I didnt realise Id been quite so busy; that explians a lot.. :o :lol:

Tama :wink:

A

Nice masculine post. The black one is another great modern/abstract looking tang. I like how you throw in the girl at the end to tone down all the testosterone. :lol:

Keep'em coming!!

F
flynny posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2007 3:57 AM

Excellent stuff Tama, I particularly like the wee Black fella also the Toki, someone is a lucky guy
Best Regards
Flynny

H
harro posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2007 4:36 AM

top stuff tama,

good to see you keeping busy.

thanks for giving us our jade fix.

harro.

B

Very good tuff as always.
I especially love the !? :wink:

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 1505 replies