Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

C

Oh noooo! big ouch! I'm very sorry about your poor hand, hoping it doesn't hurt to much, and that it will heal soon! ...beautiful carvings your were making btw....

B

Conga, Thanks but I don't feel very Kingly right now, Soon tho.

Kinny C'Mon Over and you can party with them all you want, Careful though, they can get rambunctious at times
I must confess I Put the curves on that Straight board, couldn't stand the straight sides! Thanks big timme.

Aloha, see above post for the answer to the curved wood, I love the curves too! Thanks for stopping by and for the support.

T Mango,Yes, I Do need help, every one of these guys is a challenge from the beginning. Thanks for the props tho, c'mon down and party with these guys before they are gone?

Bows, He has been serving time for unpredictable behavior and is now out and free. Thanks for the patience.

Surfer,, Thanks for stopping by with kind words!

Aloha, unfortunately this guy has not seen the box yet but if he continues to draw blood, he might see it in little bitty pieces, Thanks

The Bit T, these guys are gigantic! That is one great thing about carving the Micro pieces, when you quadruple the size, it gets Easy to cram in a lot of detail. Try it sometime. Thanks

Bowana, that was my Exact word but said with even more fervor, Thanks.

Paipo, Yes the knife in the pic was the culprit, but I wasn't carving at the time, I was searching for a router bit behind a row of tools. When I changed the bandage this morning I found the exit wound on the opposite side of the hand so it went All the way through.
Thanks for the healing thoughts.

Thanks Surfer, but you know they say the dull knife cuts More skin than the Sharp one? besides to get my sharp tools away, you would have to cut off my hands!

Mango thanks, I Hope not too, there are mny strange feelings thee for now

GMAN, yep, that must have been it! :)

Palm,City Tiki, Long Long time, Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Yes the scars have better stories but aren't nearly as Cool lookin'

Thanks Finky but I've already had a long break, I guess you'll have to come down and pick up some of the slack?? : p :o

Aolha, this was a different knife but this one sharpens the same way. :) It was a strange setup.

Thanks big daddy I guess I'll have to explain how it happened? I usually do heal pretty fast, so a couple dayz.

Thanks Again Kinny, No Butterknife coming my way
Yeah tiki Lizard but I wasn't carving. I'm not sure peeps are ready for the pix yet though?

Cool stuff, Thanks Skinny Dod I appreciate that!

Clarita, Thanks, for the kind words and for stopping by from SO Far away!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jul 10, 2009 7:37 PM

"so it went All the way through"

Ohhhhhh that's gonna leave a mark.......

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jul 10, 2009 8:56 PM

@#$#*% hardcore - "exit wound". Yeowtch!

Oh, man!~ So sorry to see that cut, Benz. I know the consolation is small, but that Lono is looking so cool! At least that picture of your bandaged hand won't be the centerfold in the next Tiki Mag~ The best wishes for the speediest of recoveries, pallie.

-Andy

C

On 2009-07-10 15:11, Benzart wrote:
Clarita, Thanks, for the kind words and for stopping by from SO Far away!

Hey! I'm nearer than Paipo.. :)
Sending some healing energy too!

B

GMAN, yea It's Gonna leave a mark, in fact 2 marks

PAIPO, Cool Book cover, very appropriate, did You do that? yeah, Double Youtch!! Thanks Pipes.

Andy, Thanks for the consolation it helps , thanks forn the kind words too. :P

Clarita, Thanks for your healing sent too, you're too sweet!

I will post photos in the Bilge pages if you want to view

B

I think Tomorrow I will try a bit of work

On 2009-07-12 19:35, Benzart wrote:
I think Tomorrow I will try a bit of work

All hail the Chief!

B

Thanks Other Ben, Not sure about the Chief part though

I Did a lot of work on Bullets curvy Lono today and might photo it later but will be around anyway

T

I go away for a few days - and WOW! That's a real bite! I've got a few cuts on me - but not like that. I thought my problem was being a noobie, but now I know it can happen to anyone.

I'm hurtin' with you bro!

Ugh!

PS: I have an old pastry-chef glove I'll send you if you want it... from the coon-tiki days :)

[ Edited by: tikigap 2009-07-15 14:02 ]

S

Dam Benz! I'm not looking fwd to the day that I slip.
Thanks for the warning.

B

T-Gap, Thanks man, I appreciate that but, I'll just take my chances without the glove, although I Have been wearing a glove while I still have the stitches.

Thanks Seeks, well this happened while I Wasn't carving although the beast Was a carving knife but Not the Dreaded Hook. I should get the stitches out tomorrow and be free!

Meanwhile I'm almost finished with this Lono for bullet.
It is KOA Wood and about 4" tall. Still have clean-up and a bit of details left to do
It seems to be VERY Un-Photogenic.

Wow Ben, look at that! Of course, I have to comment on that tounge. I love the odd shaped wood and how you used it to your advantage.
Good to see you're healing up, but that wound still looks pretty nasty. Don't over do it, my friend!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jul 18, 2009 8:20 PM

Daaaaang! That Lono is way sweet, Benno. Looks like you are healing nicely too.

Yikes, those stitches are as ugly as that Lono is beautiful - quite a contrast. I'm glad you're better snd healing. That looks like it might have hurt just a little. :(

wow benz. lono is rather beautiful. as for the wound. OUCH. at least it was the meaty part of the hand. didn't get any tendons or ligaments did you? don't overdo it.

bd

Blood, sweat and tears....It shows in all of your work but that one definitely carries your mojo.... another great piece just as expected... (bowing to the master).

Quite nice Benz...good to see that the gash didn't slow you down too much.
Number one with a Bullet!

aYe!

I like your Maori heads, but YOUR tiki designs are much better!!! Love the tongue on the Lono.

Really nice. Great skill with the open frame work.

C

Looking great!!

T

Great great stuff, ugly ugly cut. Glad it hasn't slowed you down any!

E
Ellly posted on Mon, Jul 20, 2009 2:44 PM

what a beautiful piece Ben...

and what kind of sewing kit did they use with you?

Hard to see... looks like a good job anyway, but give to your hand the time to fix well !

A big kiss from Sicily Island!

I lOve the mini headdress! But it's ALL just perfect
Now, about your hand,
when I was a kid I loved this sign a neighbor had on his wall...
"two rules you must never bend,
never whittle toward yourself,
or piss against the wind".

S

Gorgeous piece! keep giving me those ideas.

B

FINKY, Thanks for the props, In all honestly, the wood started out as a straight piece I changed a bit. Just my thing of not letting the log determine what I do with the end result. Glad you like the tongue!

Thanks GNAN. Yes I am and I'm glad you like him

Aarons, Thanks! yes It hurt a LOT! but it's better now

Thanks big daddy, appreciate the props and No no tendons or nerves to speak of..

Palm City T,,, Thanks, no need to bow too low thought, I'm just a normal carver who bleeds like all the rest.. :)

Thanks Conga, Luv'ya'man

Thanks Ben, Arrr

Thanks aloha, Appreciate the comps. ( I might have room for the kitchen sink!) :lol:

Thanks Tikilizard, appreciate the props. This Koa has a Miserable grain changing on every chip and going from Soft to Hard in places much like pine, it was a difficult carve. You can bet I will investigate the wood next time I make a fancy shape like this! :P

Clarita, You know how to make me smile!

Thanks TheBigT, Oh but it DID slow me down a bit but I'm finished with this guy. HappyHappyHappy

Thanks Ellly, Appreciate the props and Kisses from Italy. Don't know what kits they used as they used 4 different ones Its Almost healed

Thanks Surfin, Love the props. I Didn't whittle against myself and the wind wasn't blowing :o :P That is a good sign to have in a shop especially like mine, I might have to borrow it, Thanks...

Thanks Seeks, Sure, No Problem, Call me and I'll give you More :) Easy!

Well this guy is finally finished. so here are the last shots
Thanks everyone for the comments :)

Amazing detail on such a small piece! I love the dark eyes.

T

On 2009-07-21 10:20, finkdaddy wrote:
Amazing detail on such a small piece! I love the dark eyes.

Yep I 2nd that! Amazing how much character these little dudes have - instant classics!

T

On 2009-07-20 16:58, surfintiki wrote:
I lOve the mini headdress! But it's ALL just perfect
Now, about your hand,
when I was a kid I loved this sign a neighbor had on his wall...
"two rules you must never bend,
never whittle toward yourself,
or piss against the wind".

The obverse of that axiom is true, too: Never whittle towards the wind, and never piss towards yourself.

Jeez Ben - that gash is gnarly. No kiddin' about Blood Sweat and Tears.

I know I don't have to tell you, Ben, but for those followers out there - this is the message: Be Careful! Carving tools are (should be) real sharp! Whew!

Very, very, very nice carve.
I'm just stunned about the looks of this guy.
No wonder he bit you, you brought him to live.

Very nice detail Ben, I love the color also!!
Looks like your hand is healing well!!

benz

just amazes me the amount of detail you get with just one hand. can't even begin to imagine what you could do if only you could use both hands. great carve. inspires me to work better. thanks.

bd

B

You're a Carving Hero.

Greets,

Ben.

B

Thanks Finky, glad you like the dark burnt eyes.

TheBigT, Thanks for your props too. On These small guys it is really challenging to try and fit a lot of detail in such a small space. When working so small, one little slip removes a chip that is a whole Nose or ear or tooth, and it's like living on the edge,,beauty one minute, trash the next.

Thanks T-Gap, I Know I must be reminded to carve Carefully and use tools responsibly. As this happened when I wasn't carving it's a reminder that you Must use Caution Around sharp tools Period! That sharp carving knife will get you Anytime it gets the chance! :o :lol:

G-RuHa Thanks, when my pieces nturn out good it usually means the Ancients were playing with my tools again, I take No responsibility! :D

Thanks Youheadhunter, appreciate the comps. The KOA Wood is hard to beat with it's color variations and grain. This one has lots of fire. Thanks, the hand is Almost back to normal. :)

Thanks Big Daddy, One handed IS a bit difficult but it has it's advantages and when I think of them I'll let you know. You should do an few small pieces, it makes going back to the big ones so much fun. After carving small when you get a big piece, you Wonder how you will ever fill up All that space!
Benella, Thanks, I appreciate your props. You're Always here for me.
:P
:D
:)

Well I have a few more shots ofn the Lono and the Toggle. It is done from a hollow gator's tooth which allows the Knot in the cord to be hidden and out of the way. Of Course there was this Tooth Crying and Begging to be carved so of course I Had to oblige?
Thanks again for all the Wonderful Support from all you Peeps!

Is that one of them gator teeth you were showing me? Jesus Ben, how are any of us supposed to live up to that?!?! :wink:

T

Finished up nice. The extra touches are awesome!

Gorgeous Lono, Ben.

That toggle is the sickest I have ever seen, and I mean that in a good way!

Is there anyone better than you Ben? I find it hard to believe there is....

Shaking off the sawdust to lay my eyes on this beauty...

Wonderful job on the Lono, Ben!

Shame you had the knife bite you in the process, but no worse for wear and you finished this guy up with style!

Top notch, museum quality!

S

Gorgeous! such tiny tiny detail!

B

Yes Finky, that is one you saw. Thanks again!

Thanks The Big T, It seems the more he hung around the more happened to him.

PAPPY, Long time :) :o :lol: great to see you here again, Thanks for the props.

T-Mango, Thanks, I finally figured out the 4 Plait braid after much trial and error and a video from Paipo.

DrasticWagon, Believe me there are others better, remind me and i will show you who they are. Thanks, I appreciate your kind words :)

Lake, Thank you too for the kindness, I'm still learning with a Long way to go!

Thanks Seeks, love the props and very Happy he is finally done.

Here are some of the pieces in the works and they will be Westward bound soon.

benz
what kind of wood are you hold? and damn how do you get such small cuts so precise?

bd

Isn't that piece of wood TOO big for you to use? I figured you woulda cut it into quarters at least. :wink:

B

Thanks big daddy, The (large?)piece of I'm holding is California Redwood, it is fairly soft getting hard where the lines of the rings are showing. Difficult to carve. I used a band saw to get the shape and for carving I use a Hook knife an various rotary tools. My motto is any tool that will remove the wood the quickest and with the least effort on my part. I Really wish they would create a Dremel sized Actual chain saw as that would answer Many prayers.

Thanks T-Mango, Ahh but I DID cut it into quarters first! This Does seem a bit Large,hey? I just figured I needed some facial real estate if I was going to put the Moko on the Lono, with a lime in the Coconut, Make'um feel Better?

Each piece gets more detailed and so small, wow benz!

Amy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1136 replies