Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NEW Benzart Black Jade Marq 3-6-14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 1,136 replies

On 2009-04-23 13:30, Benzart wrote:
Thanks makrogore, for the kind words and First of all a Big Welcome to TC! I'm Really happy you finally decided to chime in and add some Photos of your "ki'i punohu". I agree yours are Way better than mine. I have not delved into the ancient History of the Islands as i should and have Never seen any ki'i punohu before. I saw someone on My Space carving tikis on these urchin slate and then I ran across some at a gift shop in St Augustine ,Florida and I purchased only 3 when I should have taken the lot of what he had. Your examples are showing Incredible detail and I personally know the challenges of carving the spines so deeply, but what a difference. I will carve my last spine more in line with the example shown on the Bishop Museum link you kindly provided. Big thanks for those links too!

You know, re-reading my last post, I sound really presumptuous and high makamaka. First, I would like to apologize for that, especially considering your expertise in things tiki (this I know from lurking on your threads, Tamapoutini's threads, and Paipo's threads out of interest and in need of inspiration). I hope you can forgive the newbie's running mouth. Your work carries with it the detail of a master carver, and I hope you continue to carve in many mediums for years to come!

Second, you're very welcome for the links and other associated information. These ki'i punohu are part of my way of expressing myself and respecting my culture as kanaka 'oiwi, a Hawaiian. As part of that, I have responsibilities, kuleana if you will, to make sure that things Hawaiian are well-represented. For this reason, I both feel deeply about carving and other creative material culture arts and hope that there are opportunities for me to share stories and information about the historical and cultural side of Hawaiian stuff.

Third, while I have an auntie who sources the urchin spines, I have run across them on eBay for reasonable prices. The following link will be open for another day (literally, about 24 hours till the current bidder wins), but you can get quite a few of the spines to play with for a real good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEA-URCHIN-SPINES-50pcs-craftsupplies-home-decor-shells_W0QQitemZ110373908123QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31742QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I do not know if they've been drilled, but I would wager they haven't been. If you can't make it to that auction, let me know and I might be able to send you some that I can get. They'll vary in size from about an inch and a half to three inches, but you'll find they each have their own character, grain and potential.

Good hunting!

E

Ben,
go ahead with this small wonderful objects, like the things men used since their appearing on earth, they are so rich of deep meanings... beautiful!
You know I like smaller carvings...
And take care :)
ELEonora

B

Hi Ben,

The Lono will be a keeper, I already love it !

Benjamin.

Benzart
Dang man! That is MONEY! You must need glasses if you dont have em already carvin that small. You set the bar pretty high. This is the most detail I have attempeted to date- not exactly Tiki- but Tiki inspired all the same. -NOYES

Thingamagig I carved -

Justin Kingsley Noyes
"Teak it up!"

[ Edited by: annamarikitiki 2009-04-25 08:14 ]

[ Edited by: annamarikitiki 2009-04-25 08:17 ]

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.