Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

On 2005-11-21 06:39, GMAN wrote:
Marcus,

Wow man, how did you get the "stringer" lines in the board?

-Gman

Yeah, I wanna know too!

Aloha Marcus!!!!!!!!!

That ku with a surfboard is really cool, The polynesian Kings would be Proud.
It truly is a work of art!!!!!!! Keep the cool carvings flowing from your chisels, Aloha , Mooney

This sketch of me was done by Aaron Shepherd and given to me as a gift, How Cool is it - even has my wife's cherry addiction covered.

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-12-10 23:28 ]

I have been off line for a while - my modem got zapped in one of our fantastic summer storms - Wow - nice words to come back to thanks Harro, Hewey, McTiki, Palmcity Tiki, gman, surfin tiki, Doubravsky and Mooneytiki and of course Ben.

Basement Kahuna, I carve my stuff in Australian Gum trees because they are so common and are a good hardwood that doesnt split. I have not tried Mahogony and Ironwood. I try a piece of wood and it becomes a good tiki and we are friends or it splits and becomes a sacrifice in the fire pit at the annual luau (boy do we get a good fire happenin' with all the rejects).

I have used my downtime from tiki central to start painting again - I will post a picture of the finished product (or if I dont like how it turns out into the pit with the canvas).

I wish I was better at typing, so I could get onto everyones pages and give feedback - I am always checking out your stuff, but it would take me too long to tell you all how great your stuff is. So keep up the good work everyone.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 6:30 AM

Hey Marcus - your mate did a really cool sketch there. Sweet.

Cant wait to see what paintings you come up with.

I Like the board and Tiki. It looks like a trophy for a surf contest.

I especially like the way you carved it, it looks like it has real adz facets and the placement of them is excellent.

Great job. Thanks for posting.
E

J

Excellent!! Great Job.
JohnnyP

B

Cool sketch by your friend Aaron Shepherd. Personalized to boot. Maybe there is a place somewhere we could find More of his work. Cool Indeed!

here is a new project of a tiki wall hanging.
happy new year to all the tc'ers

C

I dig this one a lot TikiBeat....great lines and style....i think he's gonna exude a bit of
attitude!

J

I like the clean smooth style.
JP

Hey marcus- I'm liking that clean, smooth style on this guy too. ... almost like it would look cool in a Frank Lloyd Wright-designed home. Very stylish!

B

HEy Marcus, this guy is Sweet. I have been thinking of doing a large one of those guys too. Hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice as yours.

L
Loki posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2006 7:51 AM

Great lines. He really flows well.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 3:33 AM

Very smooth!

Currently tryin to work out if I can get to Wintersun. Big drive up and back for a weekend. Especially in a bug. Man new years was warm wasnt it?

H
harro posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 6:16 PM

hi marcus,
this one is looking nice - each of your recent carvings have shown a lot of diversity - amazing stuff. Can't wait to see the finished piece.
i have just revisited my first half-complete tiki (after some months of neglect due to other commitments!) - hope to finish it soon. Was wondering what you use to 'burn' the wood to achieve the old look?
cheers, harro.
Ps how was the casuarina event thing just before christmas?

KK

Aloha bruddah Marcus!
Carving is looking pono brah! What a nice piece, It will look great as a wall adornment! How do you get da kine "burnt" look finish on your pieces, just curious...
Keep up the awesome work bruddah!

Malama Pono!

V

Holy BatTiki Batman! This guy is a serious contender! Dude, very nice work!!! Great to see, thanks so much for sharing.

Big Thanks to Von Tiki (your a bit batty arent ya mate! hehehe) Johnny P, Congatiki and Loki. Ben I look forward to seeing your version of this one, it should be great because you never do anything by halves - pun intended hehehe. Sam ahhh Frank Lloyd Wright now your talking taste, what a great compliment thanks. Hewey It was pretty warm up here for New Years - we headed down to Von Weirdos house at Fingal to catch some ocean breeze, and hung out by the pool watching the fire works - very easy way to pass the last few hours of 2005. I noticed that Virgin have really cheap flights to Coolangatta if you book early enough it may be cheaper to fly up mate. Harro, The preChristmas event was a little quiter than normal but it was a good excuse for Darryl and I to celebrate our birthdays and check out some artwork.
For Kaha Ki'i and Harro I use a butane torch to give my wood the aged blacked out look it gets into the deep crevices and makes the features pop out, I burn the whole tiki and then sand back a little to create the dimensions.

More Progress on my "Better Half" this is the stage that I was talking about earlier - burnt and lightly sanded

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-01-06 00:42 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 5:20 AM

Nice one Marcus! Itll look sweet when completed

B

Sweet one Marcus. I love the simplicity and the sleek modern look of the piece. The tool marks left, really add to the beauty of it too. I really enjoy your carving posts.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-01-12 04:50 ]

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 7:08 AM

I really like the look of your finish. Like benz said, it leaves a really neat look when you sand away some of the stain. Great job.

Aloha Marcus!!!!!
That tiki looks Aweasome my friend!!!!! What kind of wood is that? Keep slaying the wood and sharing with us

J

That looks great as it is. I'm anxious to see what it turns out like when you are finished with it.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 5:23 AM

Marus,

I missed this post yesterday also, I really like the profile idea. Sweet job. The aging process looks great so for. The carving is tops!

-Gman

here is the finished tiki, do u like?

On 2006-01-11 22:03, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
here is the finished tiki, do u like?

Me like very very much. That is on fine piece of craftsmanship.

Beautious, that wood is lush.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 2:12 AM

Man that came out awesome. The stain really suits it - tops!

Just PERFECT.

Truly a beautiful piece.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2006-01-12 02:49 ]

B

YES I Like it VERY Much. The tiki lends itself to the slick look you have given it you have worked some special Magic into this piece for it to be So Simple and void of any intricate detail, yet so attractive and captivating. I Love it!
Thanks for sharing.

one of my favorites.....great design....great color.....I like this one a lot.....always
fun for me to see something a little different!

HI all - thanks for your kind words once again, It never ceases to amaze and please me how supportive you all are, truly great masters yourself. Kon-Hemsby it is nice to hear from you I too am a big fan of tattoo'd tikis and have a couple (ok a half a sleeve). Yours are great where did you get your artwork done? My work has been done by a good mate - Waz at Vision Skin - he is a true artist and great all around guy.

I like that the tiki has a "modern sleek look" too Ben - it is meant for Contemporary/beach side homes of the rich and fab!

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-01-12 22:23 ]

Absolutely Stunning, Marcus! you've got an incredible talent.

J

This piece is absolutely wonderful. I like the total very clean look, kinda retro modern. The finish and distressed look of the wood fits it very well. I think you have achieved your goal of having a piece that "fits with the rich and fab"
JP

H
harro posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 2:40 PM

i'm agreeing with everyone else here - awesome piece marcus.
what stain did you use?
where are those pics taken of it hanging up on the wall - is this one for sale?
cheers.

Hi Harro - This piece is still on display in gallery at Casaurina (Salt/Kingscliff) I did it for the show that Darryl and I put on for Christmas - it is for sale (but not at the Gallery) if you are interested PM me - I have started painting again - the tiki painting below my "Better Half" is mine. I have had limited edition (signed and numbered) prints made of this painting because of the interest that he created - so if you want one of those let me know and I will keep one aside for you.

And he paints too....

So , how about sharing some of your paintings with us.

This is a close up of my painting. I haven't done a canvas painting in over 17 years so was pretty happy with how he turned out. Do you like?

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-01-18 23:40 ]

B

Marcus, I think your painting is Sweet! It looks like you have been doing it for years. I Love the colors, how they all blend together. We should like More of this kind of art from you, so Keep it coming!

KK

Bruddah Marcus!
Pono brah! Absolutely beautiful carving! Shoots cuz! I love the Hei Tiki Painting too brah! Very well done seeing as how you havent been on that horse for a while! You got choke talent and I cant wait to see more!

So tell me brah, is that your gallery that the artwork is being displayed at? The wife and I have a small gallery here on the mainland and I might be interested in showing off some of your great stuff...

I also might put together a TC kine "tiki" art show, where we'll have da kine art hopefully mostly from TC members. Still going over that one with the wife but it looks like a big possibility sometime in march or april...Ill give all the TC ohana a heads up if we start asking for submissions!

Again, great work Marcus! Hana Hou!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 9:54 PM

That painting looks sweet Marcus. Very cool

Aloha Kaha - thanks mate I would be honoured to hang my stuff in your gallery - I am heading to the States in April hope to catch up with some of the carvers over there - I will be in Vegas, San Fran and LA so if anyone wants to meet up at a suitably attired venue (say Trader Vics) please get in touch with me so I can force it onto my wifes itinerary (she has a few days marked out for shoe shopping so I can definitely do without that!) The gallery that my picture is hanging in was set up by myself and my friend Darryl Von Weirdo (Black Velvet artist) - down at Kingscliff - this is a little coastal town in Northern New south Wales. The gallery is actually a conference venue and the people are so stoked with the response that our art shows get that they offered us the space to use whenever we feel like it - for no dough!! Let me know what sort of style of works you are looking to display I feel as though I want to stick with the New Zealand tikis - because that is the island closest to mine and it is different from what the others are doing.

Thanks to Ben and Hewey - I'll have to put you two on the payroll.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 2:46 AM

On 2006-01-22 22:27, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Thanks to Ben and Hewey - I'll have to put you two on the payroll.

Mate, Ill just settle for a donation of one of your carvings... :)

H
harro posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 4:58 AM

great painting Marcus... thats very clean tidy work.
well done with the space down at casuarina too, good spot to show off to people with plenty of money to throw around...

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 5:45 AM

yes indeed your Hei Tiki looks outstanding. It couldnt be better.

I haven't seen your paintwork until now, marcus. This is a cool piece! Very striking. Is it fairly big?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies