Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

OK here are some progress pics of the Flying Eye Tiki - exhibited at Vinyl Frontier Gallery last week.

Ben, my daughter (I guess the big secret is out yes I am old enough to have a daughter old enough to get married she is 21 - scary!) asked last year at the Luau if she could get married at this years Luau - and we had a fantastic Pirate wedding before the Luau and that kicked off this years Luau - you will have to wait for pics of the wedding - photographer has gone away for a couple of weeks. There was rum and cocktails aplenty all through the night, but one must be traditional and toast the bride and groom with some champas

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 5:44 PM

If he debuted last week, how come we only getting progress shots? :(

I think Yvette needs to pull you into line mate! :)

B

Thanks Marcus, Excellent job, marrying off your daughter to a nice young man, but more excellencence on this tiki. You are the one who has the full grasp on the 3rd dimension thingy as I'm sure you dream in 3d too. Have you tried carving stone and Jade? You should try it, it's Harmlessss, Tryy it you will Love it.
Thanks for bringing us up to date.

More progress on the flying eye - Hewey ahh young apprentice you are in such a hurry grasshopper.. if I show you just the finished tiki how will you appreciate the process that goes into creating the whole tiki - I know some people like to just see the finished product - but a lot more want to know step by step so they can learn...
Thanks Ben - I think I do dream in 3D - but thats a whole other topic! I do find myself moving around the log and getting my son to stand in poses that I want to achieve - yeah he's a good kid with a lot of patience. You are right it seems a lot of people are playing hookey from TC at the moment must be a lot going on.

B

Well worth the Loong wait Marcus. Man, You sure got the Body down, not to mention the rest of the tiki too. Excellent traditional look!

Ahhh, sometimes ya wanna just leave that chiseled look. So cool....nahhh, I bet you'll clean 'er up. Looking big and mean, love it so far. I like the face, I've been toying in my mind how to do a lono for my next one. Can't wait to see more progress.

C

Really nice Marcus, I also enjoy the progress pics. You do have a mastery of the poses.
I can just see you coaxing your son into the appropriate position. sometimes I'll get
into a little tiki crouch myself to examine angles and such...I'm sure all the neighbors
think I'm nuts. keep the pics coming, this one is very cool.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 5:25 PM

lookin sweet man

progress shots are good, but you're a tease when I know you are dragging out the shots...

I shouldnt complain too much, you gotta spend some tim returning stuff guests have left at your house eh? :)

Damn Marcus... you have such a great grasp of form... the legs and arms on this one are awesome! Can't wait to see more!

H
harro posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 4:06 AM

ahhh, i'd be dying like everyone else here in anticipation if i hadn't already seen the final (fantastic) product!! it makes seeing these progress pics all the more enjoyable and educating... can't wait to see the progress pics on the flying eye part...

damn i wish i coulda made it to the luau - looks and sounds like hewey and the gang were well taken of! ah well, next time!!

cheers.

B

Hey Marcus,
it is a real amazing work.
Cheers
Ben

H

I only say: realy cool! Marcus, I´m happy that you are back again with some new awesome pictures.
Keep it up!

a big thanks to ben surfintiki congatiki hewey davez harro benella haikai for your kind words once again it means a lot to me

B

You're welcome, Your carvings mean that much to us. we could see them Every day and never get tired of them. Pure eye candy.

More progress pics

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 2:05 PM

Looks good. Reminds me of those fibreglass waiters you buy to put out the front of your restaurant! Is it going outside a tiki bar? :)

On 2006-11-08 16:45, surfintiki wrote:
Ahhh, sometimes ya wanna just leave that chiseled look. So cool....nahhh, I bet you'll clean 'er up.

Kia ora Marcus.

I was just thinking to myself what a specacular chiselled finish, you wouldnt obliterate it would you? To my admittedly inexperienced hand/eye, it shows off what a skilled carver you are...

How do you intend to finish?

PS: Ben's right, a little bit of stone wont hurt you. Honest... Try some, all the cool kids are doing it... :lol:

Tama :)

and more progress shots of flying eye

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 1:08 AM

I agree, your chisel texture is beautiful - so uniform. I could see myself trying to replicate that on a piece of stone after I'd sanded it back. I seem to remember some of the old Hawaiian pieces having that type of surface.
This one is looking superb Marcus.

B

Excellent finishing stages Marcus. No one does these guyz like you do, so clean and crisp. lookin Good and the Eye looks like he is trying to fly away

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 5:51 PM

That eye is coming out freaking awesome! I love how the tiki is supporting the eye as if giving up an offering...

My brother will freak out when I show him this one, with the hot rod connection. :) He wants to know if you want a bridge built anywhere, so he can trade some of his work for some of yours (hes an engineer, which is why he is handy at putting up tents in the rain)

B

Very cool work, I agree with Benz for chisel texture.
And very good inspiration for the flying eye, it is incredible.

Ben.

AWEASOME Marcus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your carvings just amaze me my friend with your carvings. They are so clean and the lines really flow . really Great carvings. Thanks for sharing your Kool art,aloha for now your friend ,Mooney

thanks paipo ben hewey benella and mooneytiki for the kind words

OK before I move onto my next project here are the last photos of the "flying eye"

This carving was done for a Robot Tiki Art Exhibit - if you look closely you can see the "sheets of metal and rivets" on the flying eye.

I cant find words to say how freaking awesome that is...

no frickin' way!
no way.
I can't believe it.

Wow, I can't believe how cool that is! I love the chisel marks left on the tiki.

B

Excellent work as usual Marcus, Very Very Excellent!.

Superb!!! Youve captured a cool contrast between the tiki & the eye. Almost like slipping a space-age toy into the hands of a genuine old figure. The chiseled finish looks great darkened up.

Id love to see it in real life, I bet it has a real 'presence' to it!

Can I ask what price you have on it, if for sale?

Well done! Tama :)

Hey Marcus, that really is incredible. I'm seeing a 4-part process (at least) to your staining/finishing technique. So, how 'bout it?

A-A

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 9:57 PM

Yeah, and how much to ship to New Zealand? :wink:
Seriously, that is one very cool piece, I love the crossover stuff when it's done right. Did you sell him?

H

Very sweet my man :) What did ya paint the eye with? Im guessing spraycan silver, but the details? Did ya clearcoat over the painted eyeball? Im just wondering how a tiki with some pinstriping in one shot would go with some marine grade varnish over the top...

On 2006-11-26 16:50, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
If you look closely you can see the "sheets of metal and rivets" on the flying eye.

How about a close up pic eh? :)

Tama - You got it! that is exactly what I was trying to create. This piece is not for sale - purely for exhibit - I have selfishly opted to keep this one as I rarely get to express one for me - most of my work is commissioned to appeal to the client. I get a little sad selling all my work so ITS MINE ALL MINE!! - wife says PM her and she will discuss a price.
Paipo - thank you, as above I am gonna keep him - however if you would like a carving talk to me.
Hewey - Yes I did put a clear coat over the eye - the paint was actually aluminium paint - not real quick drying but gave me the look I wanted. you can have a close up look when you visit next time mate - are you gonna come up for Tiki Two show in February - sounds like a good night - your room is booked if you want it.
Ben - how am I going mate, am I catching up?

B

This is really a huge masterpiece my dear !
If I were you (i woud be very proud of me!) and i'll do like you: I won't sell it.
Love the flying eye and the chisel texture finishing.
Will take a rest or are you ready for another carving?

Ben

thanks for the kind words benella no time for a rest

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-11-27 12:39 ]

Over the top and off the hook as per usual,sir!!!! Us men always wanna keep them while the wife discusses prices....It's the same here in the US....sigh! Great piece/concept/textures/and size! Can you say Masterwork?

Now, that's one helluva nice tiki. Beautiful craftsmanship!

Thats an excellent piece. i don't blame you for wanting to keep it!!

Ok guys and girls here is the finished drummer - he took a while - because of interruptions - but turned out pretty good I think

J

That's "Bonified" top shelf. Your art is incredible. Do you just start with a theme in mind or do you draw it and work on it till you get it? I'd like to know. Terrific.

JP

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 4:21 PM

Thomas, this guy beats awesome tribal vibes!!!

I Love the finish and the whole design concept with incorporating a drum!

Mahalo

McTiki

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 4:24 PM

What to say? Beautiful texture, animated form, and a great finish with the staining - just like the last one you posted! Is that your yard in the pics? Looks like you've got a pretty cool pad there...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 6:18 PM

Looks great man

B

Awesome Marcus, You picked a great one to keep, MAN IS he Cool. I'd love to see the rest of his group, you gonna carve them too??
Very Very Well done Marcus.

Amazing marcus, that is wild!!! Looks almost like beaten copper!!
The colours really bring it all to life & make each element stand apart as if seperate.

Be great to see it at night by fire-light & with some tribal drumming to accompany - chilling!

Top shelf, well done!

Tama

B

you should say "He turned up very good".
Nice work

Ben

H
harro posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 7:34 PM

TOP STUFF marcus!! absolutely unique carving.

i'm glad everyone else is now enjoying the flying eye complete like i did in person - congrats on the kudos you've received - all very well deserved.

keep it up!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies