Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

J

Your work is top shelf. The picture with the saw is almost gruesome.
JP

F

I haven't really looked at this thread before, but I'm glad I did. Your work is amazing! That Moari is incredible. I'm an instant fan. :)

B

MArcus, Somehow that saw cutting off his head seems so GORY and Gross. If it weren't such a good carving I might be sick. Oh hell I might just be sick anyway.
Lookin good.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 8:18 PM

That last photo still aint doin it for me... :)

Looks tops - is that gonna be a shifter? Cool

TD

hes comming along real good. keep the skill rolling.

Johnny P and Ben - I couldnt resist taking a picture of that - it appealed to my gory side. Finkdaddy - thanks for checking out my stuff glad you like it. Hewey - sorry I am really trying to perfect my photo skills - he is going to hang from a mirror in an Truck - so it should look pretty cool. Tiki Duddy - welcome to the fold - thanks for the feedback.
I am heading down to wintersun now so I'll be offline for a couple of days - will post some pics of my setup down there when I get back.

S

Daaaaaaaaamn ! These rock !

More progress of the shrunken head without hair. Had a very busy weekend down at Wintersun and spent too much time talking - not enough carving- and I didnt get a chance to get a photo of my setup - but I know that other people did so I will chase up some pics to post. Hewey I think I have improved my photo skills this time.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2006 6:57 AM

Marcus,

That looks so real...it's freaking me out! I love the wrinkles and the color on this guy. Good stuff.

-Gman

P

looking good marcus.

B

Very Freakey indeed. I really love this guy. Your stuff is defenitely moved up to the higher levels.

Wow, he's super creepy! Great job! I love your colour work, it's fantastic.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2006 5:18 PM

Looking good man. Almost looks cast out of brass - very cool :)

And yeh, your photo skills might be improving - but no Wintersun setup photos? tisk tisk... :)

Wow, The finish on that is increadible! I would love to know how it was done.

GMAN, Tikiwahine, PDrake - Thanks for the feedback - Love it!
Benzart I am scared of heights - how high do I have to go to catch up with you mate?
You will have to slow your stuff down and give us poor guys a chance to catch up hehehe.
Hewey - Gee you're a hard taskmaster - I will try and get some pics of wintersun there were a couple of photographers there from mags and stuff - if only a certain TC person from Sydney could have been there to take my photos (apparently a real wiz with the camera!!!!)
Finkdaddy - the finish was a result of keeping at it until I got the finish I was after - I really wanted to get it too look like real skin and not wood - thanks so much for kind words.
I now have a nice list of orders for shrunken heads and one of the Australian Beatniks members has placed an order for a Beatnik head - this will be great fun to do - cant wait to get started on him.

ITS ALIVE!!!! - with a cool do!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jun 16, 2006 8:25 AM

Cool man :)

Looking forward to seeing more shrunken heads :)

hewey thanks mate. Hopefully after the next tiki order is done

B

Most excellent piece of work sir Marcus. Very well done and just plain freaky, Do some more.

H
harro posted on Wed, Jun 21, 2006 6:06 AM

hey Aussies, come check out Marcus's fine chisel work in the flesh at "Night of the Tiki Terrors" in Brisbane on Sat July 8.

I've posted all about it in the Events page:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19980&forum=4&0

cheers,
harro.

Great shrunkin head carving! It looks great - and the staining came out looking like old, shriveled skin. I love the rocker doo!

you do great work, my friend

This is tiki is my "Giving Back/Open Hand Tiki" - I was contacted by a lady after appearing on a local TV show and she wanted to hire a tiki for her school plant stall - I decided to donate a tiki to the school so that they could raffle it off to raise more money - but what I didnt realise when making this offer was that it was in a weeks time .....I therefore carved a basic tiki which turned out pretty good.
This is the email from the school

"Marcus

In 2004, my husband and I convened the plant stall for our first time and our profit that year was $380.... last Sunday our profit was $820!!!! We sold mostly ALL of our plants and the interest generated in the Plant Stall due to the Tiki was incredible!! (In the minutes before the raffle was drawn, we had people rushing for tickets!) Many people took your business card and MANY asked about the Tiki and how we came to get it. One lady even asked if she could hug him! We sold almost 300 tickets. The lady who won was actually a helper at the Plant Stall and has worked in gardening and in nurseries. She was going to ring you anyway and enquire about a Tiki and then she won him!! She can't bear to put him outside at the moment; so has found him a spot inside her house. Thank you again so much..... I can't find words enough to thank you for what you did for our little school, and our kids. With best wishes, and cheers,

Kim Horwood"

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 5:05 PM

Way to go Marcus! Things like that go a long way and it sounded like you really helped out the school. Impressive stuff.

-Gman

B

WOAH, Big Time Tice guy and Super quickie Tiki Too. You put Incredible movement and action in even your simplest of tikis. Excellent work again you impress!

Aloha Marcus!!!
nice tiki better jester by you. Good karma for such a good deed my friend. keep having fun carving and slaying the wood.I always love seeing your art my friend,Aloha , Mooney

Thanks Ben, GMan and Moon Tiki - it is very good karma and I think this tiki shows in his face that he is a special one.

Nice looking tiki! What was applied to it in the second photo? It looks like you lightened it, before you darkened it!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 2:59 PM

Hey Marcus, I'm loving your stuff - very crisp and really nice textures. I'm a big fan of surf/tiki crossover work.
Is there much of a tiki scene in Aus? I'm from there originally but in NZ now. There's not much happening here, which is a shame because there are probably more carvers per square foot here than anywhere else in the world!
I'm gonna be back over there next year, do you know of any tiki bars in Sydney? I'm guessing the Gold Coast would be more likely...

that's what I love about tiki peeps. Always willing to donate and give a little extra. Marcus, that was a great gesture you did and I hope that you get some business and tiki converts from your generosity.
for a "simple" tiki, it's pretty NICE. WHat ya got cookin' in the background of your shop? is that a tang?

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 7:55 PM

Mate I know how busy you are, so to put together something like that is impressive. Well done man! Great thing to do - Im sure the good tiki karma will come back to you - you deserve it!

Surfintiki - thanks - I burn it, sand it and then stain it.
Paipo - Ahh New Zealand - I would really like to get over there and meet some carvers - the tiki scene is not as big as the USA of course - but what is!! they have been doing it bigger and better for so long - and their tiki bars are awesome! We are giving it a go in Brisbane - we have the surf, sun and of course the tikis - there are no bars here yet - there is one in WA (rumours are that there will be one opening at the Gold Coast next year - stay tuned) Get in touch with me when you are coming over so we can show you around.
Polynesiac - Thankyou - the one in the background is a little Cook Island fella - I usually have a couple on the go at any given time as I am always trying new wood, styles etc etc (frustrates the hell out of my wife hehehehe)
Hewey - thanks mate, how goes the pinstriping - hope you are practising heaps

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 8:06 PM

Marcus,

What's on the chopping block? Do you have anything in progress?

-Gman

B

Marcus, I gave you a week of no carving to catch up and you goofed Off, now you are gonna have to work Twice as hard to catch up hehehe.
Make sure you post pix of those commissions you have, we are waiting for more Marcus stuff..

Hi y'all - I have been pretty busy - am tikifying a custom car workshop for a new series that is coming out - would be the equivalent of "Rides" - but Aussie version - although most of the cars will be American. I am carving a couple of projects but they are not getting my idivided attention. I will post some pics soon. Thanks for rattling my cage though - nice to know I am missed - Love yous all.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 5:29 AM

On 2006-07-26 18:05, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Hi y'all - I have been pretty busy - am tikifying a custom car workshop for a new series that is coming out - would be the equivalent of "Rides" - but Aussie version - although most of the cars will be American. I am carving a couple of projects but they are not getting my idivided attention. I will post some pics soon. Thanks for rattling my cage though - nice to know I am missed - Love yous all.

Wouldnt happen to be the same place currently working on a certain Buick would it? :) How is she coming along by the way?

We dont miss [b]you[/i], but we do miss your carvings. We just have to put up with you for you to post them. Maybe we can just get Yvette to post everything and you can go back to the shed and do some bloody carvings instead of reading this! Go!

:) :) :)

H
harro posted on Thu, Jul 27, 2006 7:33 AM

tough crowd here huh Marcus?

This is Mrs Tiki Beat - Marcus is very busy at the moment (how unusual - he appears to be carving three or four tikis simultaneously!) I have attached photo and email from his new mate John - whom we met at Wintersun while carving - he made the trip all the way to Coolangatta to meet Marcus after reading an article in a Hot Rod Mag. - This little guy is the future of carving - it was a real pleasure to chat with him.

"Hi Marcus, its John from wintersun, here are 2 pictures of my tiki that I carved.
It is pretty rough for the first one but I think it is pretty cool. I bought a tiki cooler from Kustom City at Currumbin and I saw your easter island tiki out the front and the water feature inside they where both way kool!!!
I brought an aerated concrete block and some cheap chisels (from bunnings) and I gonna carve a easter island tiki. Hopefully soon enough it will be just like yours.

Hope you get and like the pics.
Aloha
from your tiki carving buddy
John "

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-08-02 21:14 ]

H

Good to see you sorted him out Yvette :)

I am only joking, I do like ya Marcus :) and I know you're busy as all hell...

Cool to see you inspiring another generation of tiki nuts - too kool! That article in Cruzin reached at least 2 people (well, I dug it too!).

Hi guys - have come up for air - and to post some pics of my current project - this one is another drum tiki - Bongo has created a real following - this guys has been commissioned by a lovely japanese lady - Sumico wanted a happy tiki playing a drum - so I am waiting to see what comes out of this piece of wood - progress so far

back to work for me...talk again soon.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2006 12:20 AM

cant wait man!

thanks hewey

Dig that crazy shrunken head, Jack! What a cool piece, marcus. It's cool yet still can give one the creeps! That's what a shrunken head should do... Great job!

B

This is gonna be a nice lookin Drummer Marcus, More of your "Red Gum" Whatever wood it is, it's very good lookin wood. Can't really tell from just a piece of legs , but my guess here is this guy is gonna be a Winner,

Thanks Ben the wood is an Australian Gum tree - not sure what the botanical name is but I might look it up. Sam - nice to hear from you again - been a while - thanks for the feedback on the shrunken head - I enjoyed carving him.

Now for some more progress shots of the drum tiki

Chillaxing...

B

Now I SEE Why you're not gettin any work done. It's the pipe and the stuff in da mug (and maybe the stuff in da pipe??)OH Well. your tiki drummer looks great. This one looks like he may be better than the first drummer...
Never gonna catch up like that!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 13, 2006 7:59 PM

Wow, with your black all-stars, tattooed forearm and tapa style shirt you could pass as my double - although I don't have a goatee (at the moment at least)! The new guy is looking pretty damn smooth - I'm looking forward to some updated pics.

looking good man. really like it.

good job

Ben - I will catch up - I just have a few on at the same time and need to walk away from them sometimes to clear my head - with the help of mug and pipe. I have actually been forced to put this one aside for a little while - I am doing a piece for donation to raise money for a lady who has been diagnosed with cancer - all of the lowbrow artists of Australia are donating pieces to be auctioned off next month.

Paipo
"Wow, with your black all-stars, tattooed forearm and tapa style shirt you could pass as my double - although I don't have a goatee (at the moment at least)!"

You must be a pretty good looking guy too then ...hehehe.no seriously. Good to hear from my island neighbour how are things over there?

Tiki Duddy
Thanks for the nice words all feedback is encouragement.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies