Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

That is more than awesome Marcus!!!

Got to see this guy right up close and as everyone's said this guy
was freak'n awesome.A good friend of mine scored this peice so that was pretty kool as I'll
get to see him regulary!Cheers Watango

Marcus,

Congrats on this piece, and a lucky soul who is the new owner.

Museum quality for sure, and no detail left out!

H

Marcus, I know this piece is sold but I wish you could post more pictures of this carving with some details. It looks amazing.

Look at that face. The face alone is just a remarkable feat. The piece as a whole takes your style to the top. (not that you've peaked!) It's amazing how you get better with every piece, Marcus. Congrats, man. Hope to talk to you soon!

-Andy

S

Sick Marcus you really captured the expression in the face!
And the head is killer 2.

Wow thanks for the feedback - as demanded here are some more shots - pieces like this one really slow me down but man oh man when I'm finished its so worth the wait. I will definitely be doing more work like this next year.

And here is the proud new owner Sam -

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2009-09-15 01:33 ]

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Sep 15, 2009 8:19 AM

Marcus-

So fine, man ,so fine..Thanks for the extra pics this morning too; The only way I ever get to see a masterpiece like this is by gazing at the photographs offered up. I bow in the presence of greatness!

Marcus, Exceptional work as always! Just have to say, thanks for giving us all a quality of work we can all aspire too.

T

Wow, mind-blowing good. Bravo. Thanks for posting the extra pics. I'm curious to know what kind of finish you put on him.

Wow Macrus! What a Beautiful piece of Art!!! Glad to see you again, Aloha, Mooney

T

This Maori dude is kick ass Marcus, I love the finish on him... oiled maybe? As usual each thing you create is top notch!

Love it!

Damm that frizzy Sam!He just cant help himself,got have
all the kool stuff!:lol:

B

+++Marcus, Definitely your Finest piece to date, what a Remarkable one he is and Sam is Way more fortunate than he will ever know. Just gotta sit here and look at it for awhile!

Still Incredible

S

Sick carve mate. Thanks for sharing.

Nice carve! Looks like Chucky's wooden Maori cousin. So expressive and life like. If I had this carving I would keep it under a museum plexiglass box thing all padlocked down. Not for fear of it being stolen so much as the fear of him coming to life while I sleep. Killer carving as usual.

B

brillillilliant!!!!!

Bump for a very talented carver!

Anything new in your life, Marcus?

Miss your posts round these parts!

C

great work!!!!!

HOK

Aloha Marcus! That last tiki's body style wouldn't be inspired by Paul Fujimoto would it? :) Freddie

B

House, I'd say the Body AND Face both look very similar,, Marcus? :D

Hi Freddie hows things on the island good to hear from you -sorry we didnt get to catch up on my last trip it was just a busy time - I guess the carving is a Fujimoto inspired piece with a moari spin on him - I get a lot of inspirational from the old masters how can you not and then I like to put my own style in there. He was a fiesty little fella! Another piece that I would have been happy to keep for myself but I am very pleased that Sam got him.
Havent had much to post on TC of late - I do need to put up pics from my last Hawaii trip.
I have been very busy, I just did another show in Melbourne which was a skateboard show and it went really well also, might concentrate on some more Melbourne shows for a little while as its a lot easier to get to and they seem to really appreciate my stuff down there.
Hoping to head back to America next year, see how things pan out.
Aloha Ben

This is awesome! Love the face
and the shrunken head he is holding!
Great work Marcus!

P

wow, marcus. you've come a long way from being a tiny, ultra talented and successful artist. ;-P

that maori is museum quality. good work, mate. hope you guys are doing great this summer.

very silky smooth Marcus

That tiki is about as awesome as they get, perfect posing and expression and a surface finish to die for.

Aloha!

Marcus

T

On 2009-12-16 14:18, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
This is awesome! Love the face
and the shrunken head he is holding!
Great work Marcus!

I have to agree. I don't think there are enough "Wows" to express how nice this piece is. Amazing work. :)

wow lokona, pdrake, kroozzn62, aweulekuula, and bigt, thankyou so much for the kind words, I appreciate it very much! As my pieces are getting more detailed and challenging it's taking longer between pieces and I'm enjoying the creative outlet. My next project is a mask for a racing car driver in America and the one after that is a gear-shift knob for Max Grundy's new custom Mercury. For those of you who might not know who he is, check out his websight : http://www.fearisthenewbeauty.com/ He is a very talented artist! I will update my photos soon, Cheers.

Max Grundy Rules. Can't wait to see what you make for him.

E2

super boulo !!!!
super greaser !!!!

Just thought you'd like this photo of me visiting an old friend.

CA

love it, and everything it stands for!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 20, 2009 6:43 PM

Happy Birthday mate! :D :D

HOK

Happy 30TH B-Day! :wink:

Aloha, Freddie

Belated Happy Birthday, pally and a very Merry Christmas to you, Yvette and your growing clan~!!!

CHEERS~!

Andy

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Dec 29, 2009 1:51 AM

Hey Marcus,

your Headhunter rocks - what a great carving here
the shrunkenhead is perfect

thanks for the Max Grundy Link - a great artist
mahalo
Akuae

Hi guys, Happy Belated New Year!! Thanks for the great feedback in 2009 look forward to giving some fresh carvings to knock your socks off in 2010! Here is a carving that was commissioned by a Queensland Surf shop.

Max Grundy (Hot Rod Artist) visiting one of my tiki's

Your stuff is always great. I think all your work would be great in one of those huge colorful books like you find at a Barnes and Noble Book Store. Don't know if you have them there or get what I am saying but yea a big book of your work would be great to look at.

B

Welcome back Marcus, I LOVE This Huge tiki with his Clean, fine detail. He looks solid as a rock, whet is the Wood?
Cheers My Man!

Excellent work Marcus!

I really like this guy, and he has a great vintage vibe to him.

Like something you would find in the corner of a Trader Vic's circa 1960.

Thanks for the update, keep up the great work in 2010!

Man! That bruddah' is a beast! That bruddah, has buddha type belly!
I KNOW in 2010, we're gonna be seeing many more phenomenal carves from ya!!!

That is spectacular. Keep them comin!

S

Sick! Love the big head and the board goes without saying.

Marcus a very realistic design this time, nice

B

Excellent piece Marcus, LOVE it!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 4:51 PM

Hey dude, whats been happening? You been designing tiki mugs and not telling us - thats what!

This is from Holden (Tiki Farm) as posted on the Careless Navigator website

We’ve also just completed sculpting and are going into glaze sampling on a new Frankenstein (okay, not “Tiki” but it’s still cool) design for the upcoming Wintersun gig in Coolangatta (www.wintersun.org.au) designed by none other then the noted Aussie Tiki carver, Marcus Thorn

hewey hewey hewey

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies