Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

I will be travelling to Hawaii next month and would like to catch up with anyone from TC who will be in the vicinity - please see link for more info http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24484&forum=4&start=last&0

this is him finished, hope u like

Let me be the first to start the 'wave'... Top work marcus; Great stuff! The different coloured tongue & the scrubbed back effect over your sig. are nice touches!

T :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jun 18, 2007 2:59 AM

Like a piece of candy.......

B

How could I NOT Love this guy! He really has great form and As I look at him I can visualize you starting with the toes and finishing him as you work your way up to that beautiful headdress. Spectacular carve, Classic traditional form yet in a line-up, he would definitely look like a Marcus piece. Thanks for the progress shots you gave too.
:) :) :)

Always spectacular work Marcus. I really like what you did with the belly...a
little thing that just seems to draw attention to the piece. What do I know...
but I DO know what I like.

B

The wave continues....amazingly tight Marcus...he's a beauty! Let me second Ben on the progress shots...Huge thanks.

thanks a lot tamapoutini when are you coming for a visit and thanks gman ben congatiki babalu

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-06-21 03:02 ]

Good stuff as usual Marcus! A really nice vintage look to him. I too like the little something that you did in the mid section. The red tongue is a eye catcher too.

Looking forward to the next one!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 19, 2007 9:24 PM

Looks great. Is that him at Wintersun?

Any any room in your bags for Hawaii? :D :lol:

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 2:52 AM

Beautiful! The mana is strong in this one. I can't wait to see what sort of stuff you'll be turning out after a trip to Hawaii.

Aloha Marcus! Your carvings are aweasome my friend. I look forward to seeing the magic as they come alive with your carving shots, thanks for sharing, Aloha , Mooney

H
harro posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 6:31 PM

hey marcus!
hows it going?? loved seeing the finished piece - brilliant stuff!
and whats the latest with the big big mutha?
cheers,
harro.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 11:13 PM

I had a chat to Marcus today, he just got back from his trip to Hawaii yesterday! If we ask nicely he might post some of his pics up for us! :D Sounds like he had a great time, and sounds like there could be more cool stuff coming up too! So where are those pics mate?

B

On 2007-08-02 23:13, hewey wrote:
I had a chat to Marcus today, he just got back from his trip to Hawaii yesterday! If we ask nicely he might post some of his pics up for us! :D Sounds like he had a great time, and sounds like there could be more cool stuff coming up too! So where are those pics mate?

I won't ask ... but I beg for some super Marcus Thorn's work :)

Benjamin.

P

Come on Marcus, whatcha got for us? All tikied out after your Hawaiian vacation?
:tiki:

Aloha everyone, back from my trip to Hawaii - it was a nice mix of business and pleasure and I really enjoyed the whole island experience. Met some great people and saw some amazing carvings.

I apologise for not being on TC - I have had to come back and get stuck straight into the "Secret" 16 footer which is only weeks away from being on show - so much has happened over the last couple of months it is a very exciting time for me. I will share more with you about all the stuff coming up in TikiBeat world soon.

I have been offered the opportunity to carve in Hawaii which is something that has totally blown me away and I am giving it real serious thought. For now though I have to keep my head into the current tiki for the sculpture festival next month.

Will keep you all posted on news on this festival as it gets closer and post some pics as soon as possible.

The pics are of myself and my mate Baron VonWierdo (black velvet artist. The picture of the poolside party was a huge private function for Surf celebrities. It was a very interesting night and I met up with some really great people.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Aug 16, 2007 4:51 AM

'bout time we heard from ya mate :D Nice pics, looks like an awesome trip. Can't wait to see the big guy!

thanks hewey i will be back

B

Hewey teased us and you've just made the show with your cool pix. Very good work.

Benjamin.

H
harro posted on Tue, Aug 21, 2007 3:03 PM

hey marcus,

looks like a great trip! congrats on the opportunity of carving in hawaii - awesome stuff!! now show us all some more pics of your tikis!!

cheers,
harro

J

On 2007-08-16 01:24, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
I have been offered the opportunity to carve in Hawaii which is something that has totally blown me away and I am giving it real serious thought.

You could do better!

B

Nice vacation Marcus, Excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

WOW! Beautiful photos from Hawaii :tiki:. The carving opportunity sounds great. Looks like you had a good vacation.
Cheers :drink:
S
T

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-08-24 10:51 ]

H

Marcus' big tiki breaks cover! The Swelll Sculpture by The Sea started yesterday, these are the only pics I have found of the tiki so far...

and this one I have linked to, because its not copying the image location properly. Look how big he is!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41188800@N00/1376666889/

Looks nice mate! Any chance of some decent pics?

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-09-15 22:51 ]

Holy cow!

B

Total respect !

B

Really digging the new look to this one Marcus! Bravo!

B

He's cool, Marcus! I like the chisel divots. Makes a nice texture. I wanna see the rest of that guy.

Thanks go to everyone who has emailed me and written to me on TC on my whereabouts over the last couple of months. Thanks also to Otto also for his kind words.....
"Wow, that's pretty cool New Tikis as fine art has been a personal goal of mine for a few years now!! Otto von Stroheim"

I guess I have had to keep this one secret long enough - and since it seems that super slueth Hewey has trumped my grand reveal - I have not alternative than to give you the whole progress and growth of this monster tiki in one hit - enjoy!!

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2007-09-22 01:54 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 2:13 AM

About bloody time! Love it all - from the sneering Elvis lips to the big toe, and the contrast stain and motifs on the base. You're too clever by half Marcus. Between you in Aussie and Haikai in Germany, you guys are showing the world how it's done with some of the biggest and best tikis that have been carved since the glory days of Poly Pop.
This one was done before your trip to Hawaii wasn't it?

wow paipo that makes me happy thanks mate

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 4:41 AM

I'm with Paipo - About bloody time you poked your head in Mr Thorn!

Stunning mate, absolutely stunning :D Great to see the progress pictures too.

So what happens with it after the sculpture festival?

And, er, whats the plan for the big log in the upper right?

B

It's enough to make Godzilla scream and run away!

Right on , Marcus!

This is a work of art!!! I love how you worked out the face and it's flow! Makes me want to carve big sucker too.

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 9:38 AM

Awesome work!!!

OH...MY...GOD.
That beast is screamin'! What a score on the wood too, beautiful coloring, just perfect.
As usual, fabulous creativity there.

F**KING OUTSTANDING! Where on gods green Earth did you procure a monster log like that?! And how much would it cost to Fed Ex me one?

Marcus, I really love your progress shots. Your latest carving is killer!

Craig

Raising the bar really high there Marcus. That's beautiful work. Serious milestone work there.

I love that fact that it is hardwood too. There's some nice big palm tikis out there but the colors and grain of hardwood really add a lot to it.

What were the hours on this beauty if you don't mind me asking? I could never put a price on something like this. Its pure love.

You've arrived man... not that your early stuff wasn't great... but this.... wow.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 9:12 AM

Geez, what a beautiful thing. That stance really brings it alive.

J

What Lake said! So when are you going to Hawaii?

JP

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 3:44 PM

Sweetness!

WoW!!! You have the traditional thing down and now you've turned out a flawless "pop" tiki as well, the size makes my jaw drop!!!! Phenomenal!

M

Size does matter. Spot on! Lovin the big toes.

Awesome work Mr. Thorn

Mahalo

McTiki

S

That is so cool, I wish my surf break had a SURF GOD.

Big thanks to Notch, Tiki Diablo, Bowana, Tikifreak1, Robin, JohnnyP, Gman Sneakytiki, McTiki and Seeksurf.
Lakesurfer thanks to you to - it was about 3 months work - 2 full time.
TBirdman - maybe shipping would be better for one as big as this fella thanks.
Surfintiki - I started on him before my trip to Hawaii but had to carve like a man possessed on my return home to get him finished in time for the exhibit.
Hewey "And, er, whats the plan for the big log in the upper right?" to answer this question - it will be a maori for Ocean and EArth when I get a chance to start on him.

Here is a pic of my current tikimobile taken by my mate Pix by Pete

B

Truely Awesome tiki Marcus, you never cease to amaze me with your offerings. How fortunate you are to be able to find and carve such great logs. Can't wait for the next log to be uncovered.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies