Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

Sam - the painting is 55cm x 40cm - not too big - thanks for the kind words.

Here is my latest piece - this was comissioned by a guy in Melbourne who is keen on "comical style" tikis - not my favourite (I like the traditional stuff)but each to their own

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-01-28 20:02 ]

Aloha Marcus!!!!!
Your painting is Aweasome! The colors all flow sweet, and your tiki carving is looking smokin as ever. You really have a great eye for all that you create!!! Do you have some art backround?
Great stuff my friend and thanks for sharing with us! cant wait to see more of your really cool art!
Aloha, Mooney

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 3:55 AM

The new tiki is gonna be cool. How you gettin that down to Melbourne? The freights gotta be pricey!

I love how this guy is turning out, marcus. The nose is great too!

B

HEy MArcus, comical or not, he is taking shape to be another great Marcus original. Still Gum wood? that bark looks more like cypress or cedar?

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:07 PM

Looking cool, I like how that forehead got carved, very cool.

H
hmc posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 2:33 AM

I love this new Tiki! Love that style... is this for a commercial place in Melbourne... can I visit it???!!!

(don't want to stalk anyone ofcourse) :D

J

Comical Style or not, your carving style is giving it a classic look.
JP

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 3:41 AM

Wow man what a wicked tongue!

C

thanks for the progress pics TikiBeat....I'm digging this one a lot...really like the lines of
the eyes...nose...lips and tongue...everything fits. can't wait to see more.

Even under construction you can see how clean the lines on this guy are going to be. Did the client give you referance material or is this a Marcus origanal design .

HMC - This tiki will eventually end up at Aussie Desert Cooler (Radiator Suppliers for Hot Rods) 350 Murray Road, Preston. He has bought from me before - top guy.

Mooneytiki - Thanks mate - no formal training - just seem to get it - very glad that I have this ability because I get to meet some very interesting people (like all the TC'ers).

Ben This is another Australian Gum - bit stringier than the others but real nice to carve. I use this one because it has little cracks in it so gives it the aged look without me having to wait for it to get old!

MD

Yer work is awesome as usual Mr. Marcus. Its been said by many but you have a great talent for it. I'm thinking all that talent was also a lot of effort and work on yer part.
This last guy looks huge...how big is he? I like the openess of yer cuts....makes it easier to finish eh?
In awe....Mr. Dale

I get the impression that those are all clean chisel cuts, and that you haven't touched it with a sander yet. Is that the case?

A big thanks Mr dale the loge is 5 feet. A big thanks Raffertiki yes that is the case sand when finished.

H
harro posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 5:54 AM

looking good as always marcus.
can't wait to see how she ends up.

Thanks mat me to

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:55 AM

Norm Hardinge from Aussie Desert Cooler always gets a good wrap from the mags and customers speek highly of him. He also sponsors a tonne of Aussie rod shows too. Him being into radiators is fitting, cause hes getting a cool tiki...

Man that was lame. Its midnight, I think I should go to bed.

B

Anmother cool Marcus Tiki. Nice one Marcus, I really love the doodads on the side of the temple ..

H

Cool!!!!

KK

Aloha again Marcus!
Howzit down under brah?! Hey so, beautiful job on da kine tiki! I dont even think you need to sand it brah! I really love your work and I also loved seeing that you carve wearing da kine slippahs, yeah? Dont drop da buggah on your toes brah!

seriously, keep up the good work bruddah!

Malama Pono!!

hey guys, here we are almost finished

WOW !! that looks great Marcus. How did you get the finish?

H

That turned out great! I dig the finish too.

H
harro posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 5:25 AM

sweet marcus - amazing that you got that finish just with the chisels?? no sanding yet??

i have started another tiki with just chisels, no power tools but it looks like a bit of a mess, especially down in the trenches of the deep cuts... oh well gimme a few years practice maybe i could end up getting smooth lines like that! i wish...!

Harro - well dont give up - some of my early ones were very primitive - but you jut keep at it and your style will come through - I guess I am lucky because I get to carve everyday so I have probably got better from so much practice.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2006 1:38 PM

nice. would make a nice mug. The finish is the best. More tikis should be made like this. Fit and finish

K
kirby posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2006 3:31 PM

awsome!!!!

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2006 3:47 PM

Looks very cool.

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2006 9:06 PM

Man, I love all of your tikis. They've definitely got that old school touch!

finished, i hope u like

KK

Aloha bruddah!
Howzit Marcus?! Listen cuz, that Tiki is PONO! I really love it (want it too!) and I dig the red tounge brah! Nice, nice....
Keep up the good work brah, always stoked to see your work!

Malama Pono!

Hey Marcus...love the dark color and the red tongue....very classy looking.....looks
like it came right out of some classic tiki bar 50 years ago.

H
hmc posted on Sat, Feb 11, 2006 3:42 PM

It's a brilliant design and beautiful colour. Did you use Japan Black?

B

Marcus, this guy turnd out very excellent for being a quick, comical, non traditional, fun piece. The colors are awesome.
Too bad you aren't coming to the East Coast when you visit the land up over!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:47 AM

That one turned out really cool. Nice one Marcus - very cool. The vintage style finish is nice

Kaha - thanks mate for the compliments.
Congatiki - that is what I was hoping to get out of this tiki - the old school styles still shine through - I want my style to stay traditional - but be able to give people their own unique piece.
HMC - I dont use the japan black that you are talking about - it is a mix of jarrah and black stains and I mix them up til they give me the "old" look that I love. (Hey get back to work on the gallery - you dont have time for chitchat!)
Ben - mate I really wish I could afford to travel all over the states and I would really have loved to have gone to that weekend workshop that is coming up - ahh the mighty dollar rules my world!
Hewey - thanks again mate - any progress on that tiki of yours? I look forward to seeing some pics real soon.

This tiki was commissioned by a couple who like the traditional look but wanted a smiley welcoming tiki in their foyer. They also wanted a touch of the "Beatnik" - so bongos were the best option - stay tuned....

Tiki Beat by Marcus

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-02-23 23:55 ]

J

I like where you are going with this one.
JP

thanks johnnyp me to.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 4:14 AM

Another awesome work, in the, er, works :)

Aloha Marcus!!!!
Nice carving my friend. I love your style and flow with the chisel and paint brush!!I look forward to seeing your posts.Aloha Your friend Jimmy Mooney

KK

Aloha again Marcus!
Cant wait to see this next buggah completed! Youre work is very authentic carved in style & form and I really love your outdoor workshop! Reminds me of all my bruddah's on Maui who carve under the keawe trees with the rich soil of the aina beneath their bare feet!
You no worry about all da kine deadly insects & snakes you bruddah's have down under? Isnt it the funnel web spider thats troubles you guys? I saw on discovery channel how the little buggah's like to hide out and strike at will, and mokes die?!

No wonder you Australians are so tough! With everything there that can kill you!!!

Keep up the good work Marcus, cant wait to see more!

Malama Pono!

Thanks Hewey, Mooney Tiki and Kaha Ki'i - I have an understanding with the local wildlife - I leave them alone if they leave me alone - occasionally have had to wrestle with a stubborn son of B*#ch who wont get outa my way - but on the most it is a good deal I have going - although my wife does not share your thoughts about my work area - and has threatened to throw a match in there when visitors are coming over hehehehe she is funny. I want to carve my daughter a wedding ring outa bone - can you recommend something for me.

More progress shots of "Beatnik Tiki"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies