Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

P

On 2006-08-15 21:18, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
You must be a pretty good looking guy too then ...hehehe.no seriously. Good to hear from my island neighbour how are things over there?

Thinmgs are looking up - there's been plenty of sun, nice waves, and I'm getting my "regular" carving backlog cleared to make time for more tikis.
You're in Brisbane aren't you? I'm hoping to get back to Oz next year, but it'll only be for a few days I think.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 16, 2006 5:53 AM

Insert words here: :)

"Marcus is thinking about... "

Looking chilled man!

H
harro posted on Wed, Aug 16, 2006 6:06 AM

On 2006-08-13 17:59, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:

Chillaxing...

hahahaha... classic pose, and spoken like a true master of the Urban Dictionary.

keep it up yo.

Paipo - Yeah I'm in Brisbane - you are most welcome to drop in (we have a couple of spare rooms if you need to crash somewhere).

Hewey - Marcus is thinking about...tikis (theres a suprise!)
Harro - Yeah ya gotta keep up with the vocals of the yocals or ya wont have a clue what people are talking bout.

Marcus,

What would complete that picture (the chillaxing one) would be you puffing on a tiki pipe which I just happen to have. It's a NZ one that came back from one of my parents' cruises in the 60s... i think my mum bought it but she never smoked and i don't think my dad ever smoked a pipe either. If you PM me your address I'll send it off if you want it for nix. Think of it as a random act of tiki and as my appreciation for your work!

Shane

Thanks Shane - I have responded to your very generous offer by PM. Tiki people are such giving people!

Some more progress - hope u like

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 6:00 AM

Love the bone drumsticks - very kool :)

J

Look'n good. Your style rocks, and is really apperant, even at this stage.

JP

B

MArcus I Love seeing this guy develop. MAn your pieces have Power!

this bone-drummer is gonna be outstanding...love the way you incorporate drums into some of
your carvings...and the guys waiting in the background are intriguing too...is that another
"tang" in the works? Always great stuff Marcus.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 3:28 PM

Marcus,

That is some smooth carving man. I love how you start at the feet, carve an area perfect, and then move higher. It blows my mind. Keep at him, and keep showing us new pics.

-Gman

H
harro posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 5:35 AM

lookin AWESOME marcus - the bonesticks are savage!

oh hes gonna be a good one for sure.

good work. cant wait untill hes finished

As mentioned I have been working on a piece to be auctioned at a charity fundraiser this coming weekend - the details are:

Saturday 9 November - 5pm
$20 Entry
Clubhouse at Burchill Street, Loganholme Queensland
Bands, Raffles of Tattoos, Hot Rod Art and Memorabilia
Full Bar and food
All proceeds from the auction of the tiki will go to Tattooist Josh and his wife Monica to help them out as Monica battles with cancer.

So if you want a Tiki Beat carving without waiting in line for a commissioned piece this is a rare opportunity to get one.

This piece is titled "The Other Half" - you will note that I have previously carved another "tang" titled "The Better Half"

Tiki Beat by Marcus
http://www.tikibeat.com.au

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2006-09-03 16:28 ]

TD

hey man that "better half" looks great. i still cant wait untill the drummer is done.

B

Woah, That Tang IS Spicy and I Think I hear the distant sound of drume. I Think your boy there is practicing at nite when you're asleep.
You "Boyz from Down Under" Are Really Rockin'!

Kia ora from across the ditch Cob' Just joined and am flipping around like a man possessed... I admit I havent been right through your thread yet but am just blown away by what I have seen so far... What an artist! What a life-styler! My hat is off mate! I am a greenstone (tiki) carver myself & have just started drifting towards this 'Luau-style' in the last year or so... My head is spinning with inspiration sparked by cats such as yourself. Many thanks, keep it up, Ill be watching!! Tama

C

Marcus "The Other Half" and "The Better Half" are among my favorite carvings...if I felt capable
I would attempt to knock one off myself...I love the darker-stained details on the arm and leg...
verrrrrry coooool.

More Progress on the "Drummer" - this one is a little bit difficult on a three D scale - because of the angles of the arms - sticks and stuff - so it is a bit of a challenge to get back into - cant wait to get him all done and stand him up!

B

I think he's Got the Beat already. Marcus, this is turning into another masterpiece. You get such full, rounded bodies that really look incredible.

H
harro posted on Tue, Sep 5, 2006 5:48 AM

looking cool Marcus!!
amazing how you get those body shapes so spot on with just the chisels.
can't wait to see how he ends up.

also good luck for the auction on saturday - unfortunately i can't be there to bid on that beautiful piece, would love to though, that's one of my favourite styles and you've nailed it.

Thanks Ben and Harro for the kind words.
It would be great to see that tiki go to someone I know then I can visit him. The organisers told me today that the interest in the tiki is very high, that makes it worthwhile when you hear that sort of feedback - I hope they get a good price for him so that Josh and Monica can put the money towards their needs.
Ben - you are not well, I hope you are taking care of yourself mate - have a mai tai and kick back a bit - I will try and provide you with some stuff to entertain you.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 2:46 AM

The drummer's looking awesome, and I love the "understain" (if that's how you did it) tattoo on the Rarotongan guy. I hope you get big bucks for him at the auction.

B

MAn, I can see itr now, you "Down Under" guyz are ganging up on us up here..
I Love it.
Beautiful stuff.

T

Very nice work Marcus. I am keeping a close eye on the drummer guy - I learn a lot that way. That's very nice wood you're working with, too, it appears.

On 2006-08-21 22:24, Kane Tiki wrote:
Marcus,

What would complete that picture (the chillaxing one) would be you puffing on a tiki pipe which I just happen to have. It's a NZ one that came back from one of my parents' cruises in the 60s... i think my mum bought it but she never smoked and i don't think my dad ever smoked a pipe either. If you PM me your address I'll send it off if you want it for nix. Think of it as a random act of tiki and as my appreciation for your work!

Shane

Hey let's see a picture of that pipe! That sounds very interesting.

Finally back to my bongo tiki - here is some more progress:

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 9:08 PM

Awesome, that's such a complex form to tackle but I can see he's gonna come out great. Now hurry up!

H

:) Sweet man!

H

Can't wait to see more pictures, your stuff is so great.

H
harro posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 8:20 PM

top stuff!!

give us more!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 8:25 PM

You are just teasing us Marcus! C'mon, show us more....faster!

B

Marcus, I Love watching your Magic happen, You definitely have the hands of the Ancient tiki carvers guiding you. That is toe only explaination for the beauty that you create!

J

Fine stuff man. Now that summer is coming your way are we going see more?

JP

I love your stuff, it's so primitive, yet so hip! You got a lot of shapes going on there to carve, it really looks fantastic. Being a drummer, I might have to get around to carving something like this one day. I'm watchin this one!

M

Bummmppp! Where is the drummer now? Let us see.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 3, 2006 2:13 PM

Yeah, come on man - it's been over 2 weeks! The people demand progress!

Sorry guys - I have been asked to carve for a gallery exhibit in a couple of weeks so I have put the drummer to one side to get this piece done - I will post pics of this one soon - I have actually knocked out a couple of other tikis during the carving of the drummer - these had deadlines (birthdays etc) so I always give that sort of work priority. Drummer gets a couple of taps each week. I still have two weeks until the drummer has to be done for handover at my annual Luau. Ahh the pressure! But thanks for checking!

F

Your work is always so clean and original. I really like "The Better Half", and your new one is looking really cool!

This is the reason behind my slackness in posting of late - finally here - will be back on track next week - Tiki Beat Annual Luau next weekend - cant wait to kick back and have a few drinks with Hewey.

The Vinyl Frontier at Petrie Terrace will be overrun with artists and their robots from
Friday October 27 for “Not Just Another Giant Monster Robot Show.” This is the
second in the “Adventures in Lowbrow” series of shows to help promote and
support local outsider and pop surrealist art.
Tikis, velvet paintings, mixed media, photography, video and sculpture will turn
robotic in October when local Brisbane and overseas artists show their talent.
Marcus Thorn, renowned local tiki carver, will reinvent the tiki genre with a new,
improved tiki-robot to be unveiled on the opening night. Anyone who enjoyed the
Zoo’s recent Night of the Tiki Terrors with Wiseacre will have seen some of Marcus’
proficient work with a tiki. He dressed the stage and carved a tiki on the night. His tikis are much sought after by surf shops and fans of Polynesian pop and his tikirobot will be a popular exhibit at the show.
Gold Coast black velvet artist Baron von Weirdo, following in the tradition of Leeteg, will bring a Polynesian twist to all things robotic. He has been the leading black velvet artist in Australia since the 1960’s and has dragged himself away from more profitable interstate commissions to exhibit at the Vinyl Frontier.
Mimi Kersting, a U.S. original , now residing in Brisbane, will lend her special 50s glamour with endearingly vivid, pertinently captioned and perfectly executed robot themed graphics. Think Robbie the robot meets Bettie Page! Mimi’s last exhibition at Metro Arts was a big success and her old fashioned oils on board were snapped up.
Chris Osborne, whose photographs of Brisbane composers inspired us at the
Powerhouse last year, will combine his skills with photography and collage to reinvent the terror and thrills of robots. Chris' promotional and publicity photographs have appeared in everything from The Australian and The Courier Mail, to Brisbane News and the Woodford Folk Festival programs.
Leon van de Graaff will be contributing robot sculptures like the gorgeous specimen
in the photograph.
A host of other Brisbane artists will be contributing to the event. Opening night will include a dj, drinks and retro snacks for all.
Lowbrow art’s popularity has been growing through the visual subcultures of tattoo
art, underground comics, custom cars, graffiti, skateboarding and the tiki and retro revival. The work isn’t lowbrow in execution just the sources of inspiration are.
The exhibition opens 27th October and continues until November 5. For more
information call The Vinyl Frontier (5/32 Petrie Terrace, Brisbane, 4000) on (07)
3367 0556

H
harro posted on Sat, Oct 28, 2006 3:48 AM

hey marcus,
sorry didn't make it to the opening night but checked out the show today - some great stuff in there but your carving is amazing!! you should stick some pics up here pronto so those who are not fortunate enough to see it in person can admire it on the 'net.
cheers.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Oct 28, 2006 6:19 AM

Marcus says hes been carvin, but I dont beleive him, so Im going up to check on him... And maybe I can steal my girls camera and get some pics of any evidence.

Looking forward to it man :)

B

MArcus, Another carver playing Hookey, I'm Sure you are up to Some kind of chip making, so what izzit, share it with us poor tiki starved folks??

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 11:52 PM

I spent almost a couple of days with Marcus and he didnt carve ONCE. and I saw extremely little evidence of "other" tikis... I did, however hear someone mention a luau, and I saw Yvette make copious amounts of cocktails for a mass of people, and Marcus had numerous beers... No wonder hes not carving much... As Jay would say, you're spending too much time thinking of tiki-land!

Admittedly, many of those copious cocktails found themselves into my glass... :) Nice work behind the bar Yvette! and i got to sleep in the tiki room. just dont put the puffer fish next to the alarm clock, gets messy.

I would post some pics If I didnt leave my camera in my brothers car... :( Lets just say the night was TOPS!

Thanks for the invite, hope to bring the girl back next year :) (assuming Im invited...)

(edited after complaints from marcus...)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-11-06 01:36 ]

After much time spent thinking about tiki land I am back - I have evidence of Hewey being present at the Luau and practically glued to the bar. He did not come in the promised coconut bra and skirt - for which we are eternally grateful..hehehe - This photo is Hewey with fellow pinstripers Lazy J and Rob Walker. I think that the cocktails may have affected Heweys memory or eyesight as he did the grand tour of the Tiki Beat workshop - and has seen the Drummer in real life and a half finished Ku..I am sure he will start getting flashbacks of this soon.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 1:58 AM

On 2006-11-06 01:35, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
I think that the cocktails may have affected Heweys memory or eyesight as he did the grand tour of the Tiki Beat workshop - and has seen the Drummer in real life and a half finished Ku..I am sure he will start getting flashbacks of this soon.

I think it might have been the exotic voodoo drums on vinyl played by DJ Mr Mai Tai (who did an excellent job).

And what about the wedding Marcus? That was pretty damn special, but Ill leave the details to you :)

B

The Wedding?? WEDDING? No Wonder I see you all drinking Champaign(?Sp?). I'm saying to myself, "Strange that there are not Rum drinks, only Champaign??
Another little Secret you're holding back? Sounds delightful.

Good to see pics of the Aussie brethren, looking good.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies