Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

B

Marcus, Thanks for taking the time to show all those pictures of your stuff. The Hula girl is a great story. What a magical room to have as your studio, Fortunate you are!
Thanks again.

thanks hewey and ben

H

Marcus, you are always amazing, your studio looks great. I love the backward bamboo bar, what happened to all the liquor???:)

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2007 8:58 PM

Dude, you gots some SKILLS! Some nice art you're you're putting out. GROG like

H
harro posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 3:22 PM

hey Marcus,

good to see some more pics - the mural is great (and nice moai in-cognito too).

how was the burlesque night? didn´t make it as we had a gig at the Zoo, and now i´m living in Argentina for a few months before trekking around Sth Am...

keep the tiki alive in Qld - be sure to post about any events happening so i can keep in touch with it all.

cheers,
tim.

Hiltiki - grog is all stored in the hut in the back yard - wife runs a great cocktail bar from there - thanks for the kind words, thanks to you too Grog.

Nice to here from you Harro - hope your travelling goes well - shame we missed your last gig - the burlesque night was Hot!

Progress on the gear shift knob

Kool pad Marcus; love the hula-girl (I knew what a skip was too, heehee)
Great shifter; what are the dimensions of this wee Nazi? Its hard to tell from the photos & my brain wants to believe that it is a fullsize skull & helmet. You're a clever bloke; must have 3-D blood?

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2007 3:09 PM

Yeah 'tis a sweet piece...I have a soft spot for skulls - for years all I was interested in drawing were skulls and skeletons. The anatomy on this fella looks spot-on!

B

YES, The skull is Sweet (A Skull CAN be Sweet, Can't it?) and I Looked right AT it earlier and the Hula Girl had my tongue and I couldn't talk. You get to do the Most Clever pieces. What kind of wood is he?

and some more progress on the gear shift knob.
Ben the wood I used was a piece of wattle (native australian tree)
I like to try and use timber that is not normally used for sculpture.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 4:52 AM

"Skullpture"????

Very cool Marcus!

-G

B

On 2007-03-22 04:52, GMAN wrote:
"Skullpture"????
Very cool Marcus!
-G

"SKULLPture"? I love it Marcus. And Gman, Only you could could have pun like that.

thanks ben and gman

I love your work. It always looks so confident.
You also have an increadible art collection yourself!

That is Bad A$$. Keep it Up!

TAADAAAH !!!- finished the gear shift knob

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2007 6:23 PM

Marcus,

That rules! The coloring really makes it look cast. That's freaking crazy!

P

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!

marcus, you have to make a mold of that. absolutely! that piece cast from bronze will make you a milliionaire.

you just sneak in and out here with your bad self. man, that is just outstanding!

i hope you're coming back to vegas. i'd like to hang out with you guys again.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2007 7:42 PM

That looks great man! Looking forward to checking it out at Easter :D I'll see if I can get some pics

B

Excellent Stuff Marcus. I Love the Antiqued Bronze look and the detail is Awesome. Whoever's car this is going into is Sure to have a Busted tranny real soon because he Won't be able to quit playing with it. He will be shifting all the way there and back.

That is INCREDIBLE! Great carve!

Ditto: very cool! Im sure the recipient will be stoked!

TTT

B

beautiful

H

bad to the BONZ!!! From the wonder from down under!!!!

Great piece with and fantastic finish!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 26, 2007 7:22 AM

!

kick ass, man! that is too cool. Benz is right; someone's gonna hurt their car with that thing. i know my gas $$ would double! keep 'em rollin!

wow thanks guys i really enjoyed this one. I am starting on another gear shift knob with a twist will post piecs soon thanks greentikipat, gman, pdrake, hewey, ben,tikimecvla,tamapoutini,benella,surfnturf,alohastation,grog,finkdaddy,paipo

This is my Akua tiki - I think this one will be a big job - hope u like

H

Hey marcus, it´s great to see you are bussy! I´m looking forward to see the next progress pics.
I have seen in the last picture that you use switzerland chisels. I use the them too.
I´m very comfortable with these tools. Have fun and let the chips fly!
Greetings, Haikai

Thanks haikai yep the swiss are sure good at making chisels and pocket knives. I discovered that I needed to get good quality stuff to deal with the hammering I give them.

More Progress pics

H
harro posted on Fri, Apr 13, 2007 3:07 PM

hey marcus,
this isnt the long awaited akua that ive seen in progress before is it??
cheers.

Marcus,

that wood is beautiful and I love all the chisel marks. It looks like a real Hawaiian piece out by the city of refuge. NICE!

S T

B

Yo Marcus, How'd I Miss the start of this Beautiful Guy? He looks like he is going to be another Spectacular Marcus Creation!

wow that is one big hunk of wood. what kind of wood is that by the way? looks like its turning out man, cant wait for some updates

B

Fantastic start. A new masterpiece to come.
A question: what would you recommend best: Pfeil or Flexcut chisels?

Thanks a lot,

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2007 6:19 AM

Marcus,

Whattacha got going on here? First we saw the elbow, now a chest waist and leg. He looks very "Marcusy", but I have no idea what he's gonna be. Could be lots of things I guess....but he's a beauty so far!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 7:15 PM

Looking good mate! I had the chance to check out the skull shifter at the hot rod nats - awesome piece. Will post some pics eventually... :lol:

P

Hey Marcus, I'm guessing the shifter knob's goin' in Norm Hardinge's coupe, yeah?

Wayne.

H

On 2007-04-15 23:14, PEDDRO wrote:
Hey Marcus, I'm guessing the shifter knob's goin' in Norm Hardinge's coupe, yeah?

Wayne.

Already in there, will post pics :)

Harro - yes this is the long awaited Akua progress finally, this guy is being filmed for a low brow art doco so it has been a slower progress on him than I normally do - hopefully the DVD will be out early next year.
Sneaky Tiki - thanks for the compliments.
Benzart - I noticed your absence mate hope you are doing OK - nice to hear from you as always.
Benella I dont have a favourite chisel - I like them strong and sharp.
GMan - thank you
Hewey - wheres those pics mate - thanks for the compliments
Peddro - Hewey kinda beat me to answering your question - my new spokesperson - good to hear from you though.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2007 4:40 PM

here they are... :D

thanks for that hewey coooooooooool

A few more progress pics on the Akua. hope you like

With a name like "Big Knob Racing", Im sure people are going to make a point of having a gander at the shifter... Looks fantastic! Cool to see it in-situ and in its proper context. (I wont pretend to be a fan of Nazi-esque paraphenalia, but there is no denying it is one cool car!) You're addition gives it that finishing X-factor.

Im amazed at seeing the process with Akua. He is emerging fully finished it seems - Most carvers I know tend to rough-out the entirety down to a point, then go over in finer measures slowly closing in on finished levels/shaping etc. I notice Haikai works in a similar way. I guess your 'vision' is mighty strong & little variation occurrs..? Impressive!

Eagerly awaiting progress reports. Wondering what's going to happen to the belly..?

Tama :)

B

Yeah, What T3 said and the belly really sparks the imagination with so many possibilities.
I'm Very happy to se you posting Multiple progress shots of your work here. we are So Starved for that kind of thing you know!

B

Master Marcus...

Man, your work is most amazing!!

I've cruised your thread and am blown away. If you don't mind me asking....what type of finish did you use on that scull?

Best,

Babalu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies