Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 2, 2005 7:13 AM

On 2005-07-01 10:05, teaKEY wrote:
Yeah, its only the birth place of Tiki and Hot Rods as we know it today.

Some of the water must have trickled up here to Michigan.

Well we can't hog the fun all to ourselves now can we? :)

Great looking tikis marcus

looks like you aussies got a cool tiki scene startin' up. Just one more excuse to make a trip.

I love your KU - I think it's totally KU-el. Har har.

Nice job!

P
PEDDRO posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2005 5:38 PM

On 2005-07-01 00:48, hewey wrote:
Pedro - that is gavtiki is it not? Does he still use his hotmail account?

Yes, gavtiki.

He changed his hotmail addy a while back.

Try this:

here is ur request hewey
this is my tiki mobile its a 1948 buick

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 13, 2005 1:50 AM

freaking kool baby. Thats a cool wagon. I've got a XY wagon put aside for me, all I have to do is sell my beetle. She's gonna be a full-on tiki wagon too. Should raise a few eyebrows :)

B

Very cool. When I was 16, I had the priviledge of driving one of those "streight eight" buics for a summer, and man was it Nice. Beautiful.

So Ben they would have been straight off the production line when you were a yoingster? only kidding...or were they? hehehe Hewey maybe you can cruise your tiki mobile up here to BrisVegas when it is complete. I hope the Tiki scene in Australia takes off! It would be great to hold a Tiki Oasis happening and have a bunch of carvers sharing their talents. Polynesiac - if you ever want to come down under - drop me a line happy to show you around. Here is another photo of an easter islander who is now living at a Hot Rod/custom Shop down the Gold Coast

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 8:29 AM

On 2005-07-16 02:01, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Hewey maybe you can cruise your tiki mobile up here to BrisVegas when it is complete. I hope the Tiki scene in Australia takes off! It would be great to hold a Tiki Oasis happening and have a bunch of carvers sharing their talents.

Mate, I want to go on a road trip in the old girl. A tiki themed trip to Brisvegas, sounds like my kinda party.

As far as an Aussie Tiki Oasis - why not? I'm up for a challenge! Worst case scenario, it's us two with rum and chisels - not too bad in my books :D. I would be seriously interested in having a go at this, especially if we organise it together, and maybe get Cruzin magazine behind us? Have a think about it.

B

Thanks Marcus, Nice Moai. I was 3 when that Buic came off the line, so it was 13 when I drove it, but it was just like brand new. They don't make'em like they used to.

I love the finish on that guy. BTW, kick ass ride.

Love that Old '48 not to mention that smirking Moai! Nice going, Marcus.

Ben - yes you are right - they sure dont make cars like they used to.
Sam - Thanks for kind words - the Buick is now being customized at Kustom City down the coast - it will be an anxious and exciting few months waiting for her "makeover" to be complete - but I am positive it will be worth the wait.
Rodeotiki - thanks - it is great to get back positive feedback from you all.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jul 24, 2005 6:22 PM

Marcus,

That Easter Islander carving is wicked! What type of wood is that? What techniques did you use to create it? Man what a monster! Your work is superb. I wish I could afford one!!! How long did it take you to complete that big piece?

-Gman

O

great looking tikis, love the moai. Nice looking car as well. is it the 48's that have the cool hood opener, on the side that long oval peice of trim? any way good stuff.

This tiki is carved out of coconut and stained in a jarrah coloured stain.
Octane - Yeah the 48 is the one with the cool opener on the hood. Shes a beaut! I miss her and cant wait to get her home - Thanks for the kind words about my stuff.
GMAN - The big guy was hand carved - ie chisel and mallot out of Australian Gum tree and it took me more than 200 hours - but I lose track of the time when I get into one this size it is such a labour of love.

I am heading over to Fiji next month and would like to meet up with some carvers over there - does anyone know any Fijian nationals that are into carving? Or can you point me in the right direction to get in touch with someone over there. Thanks

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-01 03:22 ]

B

Hey Marcus, I like this last one a lot. I couldnt see the frog(i hope??) on the bottom until I brightened up the pic a bit. Hope you don't mind. keep up the great work.

FA

WOW that is a great looking tiki, GREAT JOB!

Pelican Pelican your beak can hold more than your belly can. So this is my latest project - dont believe the date on the bottom - i forgot to change it on my camera (bugger!)Ben I have to say a big thanks for your inspiration on this one and I know the lady it is going to will love it. All feedback appreciated. More pics to come as I progress on this little fella.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-17 02:43 ]

B

Marcus, now there's a pelican with an ATTITUDE! I love it and would Love to see the whole thing. Looks great so faar..

M

Nice Tiki(s) I haven't carved a double yet (haven't carved a single either since June) That one is a great example sir.

Thanks for sharing

Mahalo

the tikis are great, but the animals are superb. lets see more of them please. that pelican looks like he's about to lighten his load hahahahahahahaha.

[ Edited by: chisel slinger 2005-08-17 07:28 ]

Fine work, marcus.. as always - AND this is the first time I've ever been mooned by a pelican!! :wink:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 17, 2005 6:29 PM

Thats a really nice carving. So smooth, will look tops when given a lick of stain.

I love the slight 2 tone in the wood. Very nice. Its nicely shown in the slice on the ground to the right in the bottom pictures.

Looks like you got a nice garden too, but I dont see many tikis there :) And wheres that website?

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2005-08-17 18:33 ]

Marcus: excellent, excellent carvings! very impressive!

Ben - Thanks again for the inspiration and yes he does have some Attitude - will be posting more pics of him real soon.
McTiki - the doubles accidentally happen - at the beginning there is one and then all of a sudden another guy takes form - so no use resisting the flow - hope this inspires you to pick your chisel and carve again.
Chisel Slinger - I wish the pelican would lighten his load - he is going to be a heavy and a little awkward fella to deliver!
Sam - Bottoms Up!! Sorry bit rude of me didn't realise until they were posted that he was mooning only you - but your right he is!! hehehe
Hewey - Website yes I vaguely remember starting that blasted thing and still hammering away at it - good things are worth waiting for so I am patiently waiting for my mate to finish it- he unfortunately has purchased a chopper (classic old bike) but it is nearly finished - the website - not the bike. If you look over the top of the pelicans butt you will see a tiki disguised as a palm tree in the garden. I have a few tikis around the yard - these ones I have had to cement in so people wont try and buy them - havent done one for myself in a while as too busy filling orders - we are having our Tiki Beat Annual Luau at the end of October so if you send me your details by personal message will drop you an invite.
Palama Tiki - Thanks for your kind words - and you keep up your good work too!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 5:37 PM

On 2005-08-22 16:28, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
Hewey - Website yes I vaguely remember starting that blasted thing and still hammering away at it - good things are worth waiting for so I am patiently waiting for my mate to finish it- he unfortunately has purchased a chopper (classic old bike) but it is nearly finished - the website - not the bike. If you look over the top of the pelicans butt you will see a tiki disguised as a palm tree in the garden. I have a few tikis around the yard - these ones I have had to cement in so people wont try and buy them - havent done one for myself in a while as too busy filling orders - we are having our Tiki Beat Annual Luau at the end of October so if you send me your details by personal message will drop you an invite.

Arh! I could have been going up there in October too! But my uni work is due then and I expect to be flat strap. Bugger! Seriously bummed, but already pencilling it in for next year.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 22, 2005 5:43 PM

Marcus,

I'm not sure how I missed the pelican post, but wanted to chime in on how much I like it. That is truly beautiful. You're one talented dude!

-Gman

Al as promised here are the pics of the hand painted resin gear shift knobs that I sell. the guy with the red hair is "Tiki Beat Hot Rodder" and the blonde is "Tiki Beat Beach Bum"

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-08-24 03:00 ]

Hey Marcus- Cool knobs with that good old Big Daddy attitude to them! Great work!

Thanks for all the kind feedback on my raw pelican - here he is finished - hope you like! Have started carving tikis again now - have two that I need to get done real quick so less talkies more chippies for me for a little while. Will try and post pics of these guys as I work. I keep forgetting to take photos as I progress my way through but will try my bestest.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-09-01 21:02 ]

B

Marcus, It is strange seeing that pelican in smeone elses thread and me not being the carver. You did a pretty good job. You really captured the attitude well, Nice Peli there.

Nice going marcus! The eyes bring him to life too.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2005 1:24 AM

Nice pelican. Very sweet.

Well now the pelican is off in his new home (thanks Sam, Hewey and Ben for your support) I have now started my next challenge..this guy is going to be a traditional Ku style but needs to be on a smaller scale than my others because he is being collected by his new owners in their old Val, so needs to be able to lay across the back seat. I will post more pics as he comes to life.

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-09-15 02:09 ]

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2005-09-15 02:10 ]

T

hey that tiki is grade A tiki. I love the little spots of brown on the legs.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 16, 2005 2:04 AM

Cool tiki marcus. Looks like he got some cool style happenin in that body. Cant wait to see more pics.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 17, 2005 2:15 PM

Hey Marcus,

Looking great! Post more pics as you make progress. Looks stylin' so far!

More progress on the little tiki.

coming soon

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 9:56 PM

This ones coming along nicely man. Nice stuff

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 10:08 PM

Very nice. You chisel guys have some patience! Good show. Can't wait to see more of it.

Marcus, this will clearly be another great tiki along the lines of the other that you've posted here. Yes, waiting patiently!

H
harro posted on Tue, Sep 27, 2005 7:57 PM

Hey marcus,

Brilliant work yet again, look forward to seeing some of these tikis in the “flesh” somewhere soon. The progress pics are great – you should give us an insight into your tools and techniques as I’m sure it’s not just me who is interested in how you arrive at such awesome finished pieces.

Doing queensland proud!

Cheers,
Harro.

Here is the finished tiki - I took a pic of him with just the stain - then the final coat of lacquer. I hope you like!

K

that is awsome great workmanship,Ide be stoked to have that in my tiki lounge fo sho.....

Awesome! very traditional looking tiki with clean lines. Beautiful carving!

H

Suh-weet dude. nice work

Hey Harro - I popped in on Wayne tday - great shop! I have found that I get a good finish on my tikis when I use a nice deep stain - on the deeper cuts I torch them (blacken up the depth) and this shows up some cool textures and emphasises its features and can also make them look older. You are welcome to pop over and have a look at how I do it - just give me a little notice so I can sweep some chips outa the way for visitors. or I am happy to answer your questions on line here anytime. happy chippen - gotta get back to it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies