Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tikis by marcus thorn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1,047 replies

U R A ROCKSTAR! 8)

H

You are unbelievably good. I always love your stuff, they just never stop getting better and better and ...

Incredible carvings Marcus, I love them all.

Fantastic work on Henry the Marq. The antiquing/stain looks great too. Always good to see artists commissioned instead of importing carvings from indonesian chop shops. There is no comparison when it comes to quality.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 26, 2008 4:44 PM

Check this out!

Homebake is basically one of the biggest one day musical festivals in Australia! My gut feel is they dont have permission to use Marcus' pic, this is their main poster for the event! Check it out on their website too:
http://www.homebake.com.au/2008/index.html

I've allerted Marcus to it, so we'll wait for his response, but Im betting they haven't got permission :evil:

B

IT IS an Awesome Poster though, hope they work it out!

I'm with Ben- a cool visual. But, I'm curious to see what Marcus would think of it.

I spoke with Marcus last night and Hewey, he did get your message about the poster and sends his best. Being the exceptionally nice guy that he is, he told me "if they really REALLY wanted it, then it's fine with me." Based on how cool the thing looks, I'm guessing they must have REALLY wanted it. Good for you, Marcus!

Hello everyone in the TC community this is Mrs Tiki Beat - Marcus is in Hawaii at the moment so he asked me to drop you all a line and thank you so much for looking out for him and his work - Hewey you are very switched on!! I have made contact with the people at Homebake and they are very apologetic for mistakenly using Marcus's work in their artwork, however, Marcus was more than happy for the image to be used and they are now going to add his details to the image to make sure that he gets the credit for the carving (and the photo) -I have copied their response below, as you can see they have really paid a huge compliment to Marcus and his work.

"I did honestly think it was an ancient carving from a museum - hence it being so relevant to our messaging.
Now that I know that it is yours, I would be more than happy to credit you - however, as I am also so taken by it's beauty, I would actually be interested in buying it from you (especially as it is kind of a mascot for such important theming)."

What a wonderful forum you have looking out for each others art and protecting it from being used incorrectly. Thank you again. Yvette

[ Edited by: tiki beat by marcus thorn 2008-09-27 23:40 ]

T

Sounds great. The top way to support your love for an item is buying it. Is it for sale??

S

Cool Looks like a plus for Tiki Beat.

B

All's well that ends well, and I am happy that this outcome ended on a positive note and was never dragged over the coals. Congrats Marcus and Mrs Marcus. I know Marcus is in Hawaii now carving more tikis and I Really hope he can somehow get us some photos of his works in progress. We would Love to follow his antics over there, there MUST be a way?

OK, Marcus- It's now MORE than official- you have vaulted to "museum" quality status! All that "Trader Vic's Stain" has paid off! Cheers, man & thanks for the update Mrs. Tiki Beat~~~Andy

Long time Marcus!

Amazing work yet again mate ... look forward to catching up with you at Currumbin again in the near future. Keep up the inspirational carving!

Here's a couple of incriminating shots from last time we hooked up; If you want the rest I'll take payment in Tiki's! :D

Cheers, Simon.

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2008-11-07 10:47 ]

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2009-01-19 00:11 ]

B

MAN, What an Incredible Tiki, How you gonna ship it to me? I Think it is too big for da boat :P I Just Know Marcus is over there doing some Awesome tikis,and We could Sure love to see more photos!

T

Echo that. Great tiki! How 'bout some close ups??

Ben and Big T,

These were the only close-ups I had time to grab on the day - and from talking to Marcus ... you get big praise Ben, well deserved too in my opinion. :)

I've just secured three giant Gum logs which are waiting for me to free the Tiki's within; I can only hope to do as well as the likes of Marcus and Ben.

Cheers gents, Simon.

My music website ... http://www.myspace.com/themansfieldcrash

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2008-11-08 11:04 ]

[ Edited by: Tikirocker 2008-11-08 11:06 ]

Dude, he's awesome!

[ Edited by: TikiGarden 2008-11-29 22:26 ]

[ Edited by: TikiGarden 2008-11-28 19:59 ]

nice work brendan, sorry Marcus hi jacking your thread,
Brendan post your pics in carving tikis for everyone to see .
Funny im a Brendon from sydney newish to carving too ... ang ten dudes

Great Work,as always Sir!
Congrats on the Tiki Mag article!
you're Amazing!

Thanks for the feedback on the magazine - I am looking forward to seeing how it came together.

tikirocker how are you no tikis yet so go and start carving. tikigarden your tikis are great keep up the good work. nice to here from you kroozzn62 take care.if i can help anyone just ask.

Nice to be home and I am finally chillaxing and getting some time to catch up with Tiki goss. And now for some more photos (yes finally- if you have your copy of the latest tiki mag you might recognise this fella).

Hey Marcus,
This guy is AMAZING. Thanks for the pics.

B

WHOA MARCUS, What an Awesome piece, Just what we have been waiting for. Man you have come a Long way since you started carving, what now 5 or 6 years? Truly Inspirational! As much as you liked being in the Islands, I'm glad you are home so's we can catch up on everything you have been doing.
HappyHappyHappy

C

Splendid work there Marcus. He's a "big one"...where is he going to
call home?

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 5, 2008 7:06 PM

Wooooeeeee maaaate! You just keep blowing me away with this stuff! :D Very nice work, and great to finally see some pics!

That is the coolest!

That's Incredible, Marcus!!
looks Awsome~!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just amazing! I can only hope to emulate beauty like that from my work one day.
Thank you for these awe inspiring pieces.

Tyler

Wow that ones got Mana emanating off it. Its lovely.

Thanks for the great support Grapa-RuHa, Benzart, Hewey, Tikifreak1, Tiki Duddy, tikibytyler, shampoovta. Congatiki this guy doesnt have a home yet he is on the market and I am hoping to use him to show clients in Hawaii and the States my work. Hope to generate some interest and get the chance to carve more big ones like this one.

It's truly amazing, mate. I hadn't seen a few of those angles yet. Can't wait to see what's up your sleeve for your next piece and/or pieces. CONGRATS, MARCUS! -Andy

T

NICE!! Also like the closeups on the previous large dude. Thanks!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 9, 2008 3:53 PM

Damn Marcus! I missed this. That is one SLOB of a log - beautiful wood too. WOW! Those are some serious chops man, I love what you did with him. That's awesome! Can I have it?

-G$

thanks andy,thebigt and gman for the great support

Marcus,Always AMAZING Art that you create!!!Big comps my friend, Mooney

J

What an incredible piece! A monster log that has been liberated into a work of art! I have to be very impressed, since I have worked with some large pieces. You make it look easy.

Wow, I just overdosed on some AWESOME, That is some fabulous work. Keep it up! the flying eye is my favorite.

H
harro posted on Sat, Dec 13, 2008 1:58 PM

that sure is a big sucker Marcus - where is he at now? nice work!!!

will try to track down the tiki mag article too.

cheers from london.

That is jaw dropping good! =O

Big, bold, and beautiful!!!!!

One of the best pieces here ever!!!!!

This one is massive. Big Tikis are always impressive but this one has that extra presence that makes it unique. Definitely in your style of the traditional done with a modern, Marcus Thorn flare. Nice work, thanks for posting it.

I swear your level of talent is really amazing to me. Fantastic work. Gotta be one of the best tikis I've seen.

S

Holly Crap! Fabulous Markus! Wow! love it the size
the shape.

Those trees are only SO LUCKY to become a Marcus Masterpiece!!!
Holy farts he's huge.

B

Wow, what a monster!
Congrats on the TikiMag feature, Marcus. Mr. Mailman finally brought me my issue!

Bowana

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 1047 replies